View Poll Results: Would you have a drink with them? (the results have no bearing on whether they get in or not)

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: App: Paasol - Mainly World of Warcraft, perhaps Overwatch (4/0)

Membership Application
    Are you over 18? (You must be 18+ to apply.)
    Yes

What are some games you plan on playing with us?
    Mainly World of Warcraft, perhaps Overwatch

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with?
    Paasol (Classic WoW IGN) Paasol#1671 (Battle.net)

Do you have friends or family in the Unrepentant community? If so what is their forum name?
    GalacticKegger

So... let's talk! What follows are a bunch of questions that give us a sense of your personality, and give us something to talk about. If your answers are boring or short, we’ll assume you’re boring (and probably short).

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
    I don't know about funniest, but definitely dumb and a bit embarrassing. I was inprocessing for basic training, and I needed to get my photo taken for my military ID. Now by this point, I hadn't slept in about 50 hours, so I was there but I wasn't really THERE, you know? The lady taking my photo was a huge germophobe, so she had me use hand sanitizer before I touched anything in her area. The only thing was, I was wearing shorts at the time, and after I used the hand sanitizer, I was resting my hands on my legs, to which this lady was freaking out about, yelling at me to not put my hands on my own skin after I used the hand sanitizer. After this happened twice, she gave me another bit of hand sanitizer and all my brain registered was "your legs!" So I took a bit of hand sanitizer in both hands and slapped that shit right onto my legs and started rubbing it in. The lady was absolutely shocked, just dumbfounded by what she was witnessing. You could tell her world was shattering just watching me for the few brief seconds I was doing this. She then yelled at me again, at which point it finally clicked for me what she wanted me to do. At that moment I realized what an absolute idiot I looked like, and for a brief moment I was embarrassed before the sleep deprivation pretty much washed that away. Looking back at it now, it's not so much embarassing as it is stupid. This probably wasn't the best story I can come up with given time, but I have a kinda hard time remembering dumb or embarassing stuff. Most of the time if I remember it it's because the flow of conversation lead me to think about it, at which point I'm willing to share to anyone interested.

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
    The coolest job I've had is most definitely the one I have now, being in the U.S. Army. I've been able to meet some of the coolest and most diverse people in my life because of the military, and it's really helped me grow rapidly as a person. Getting to shoot guns and throw grenades is a nice benefit. The worst job I've had has to be working night shifts as a CenturyLink technician. Not only was I repeating the same fixes every day, making my shifts very boring but I couldn't connect with any of my coworkers and I ended up losing a few relationships because I lived on the opposite half of the day from everyone else. Also, the technicians you call to fix your internet have just as much idea what the issue is with your internet is as you do. The troubleshooting process is split up into too many sections for any sort of efficiency. Overall, just a really bad organization that I could probably vent about for far too long.

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
    First, Kingdom Hearts 2, just because it was one of my favorite childhood games alongside WoW, so it just has a lot of nostalgia factor. Second, Portal 2. I play this game on a yearly basis because no amtter how many times I go back, I just can't get tired of the witty writing and the brilliant characters in the game. "When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these?!" I truly think it's just one of the best games on the market to this day, definitely a must play before you die. Last but most definitely not least is WoW. Now this one may not actually be possible because server death will happen someday, but for as long as the game is out, I always come back to check up on it every now and then as it was so prominent in my formative years. The fact that classic WoW is coming back has me on the edge of my seat and I can't wait to sink a whole lot of time into it once again.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
    Probably my manager from working at a restaurant. This guy would never confront you on something you did wrong. Instead, he would opt to do stuff like throw extra workloads onto you at the end of your shift, keeping you for an extra hours out of the blue, or just talking shit about you with all of your coworkers. Having a boss who didn't communicate and just made workplace drama that much worse annoyed the hell out of me to the point where I had to quit.

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
    I love hiking and rock climbing! Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of me rock climbing, but I do have a photo I'll attach of me on a cliffside in the Huachuca Mountains, AZ. I also have a very small hobby with voice acting. i don't do it often, but I have a few small projects out in the world that I've contributed to. I do it more for the fun of getting to deliver lines in different voices than actually wanting any sort of popularity or career from it. Also, I'm currently learning how to speak Chinese Mandarin pretty much as a full time job, so that's a pretty useful skill I'll have in my toolkit within the next year or so.

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
    Well, two reasons. Initially I came here just because a close family friend who I will be playing Classic WoW with is in this group. However, after reading some forum posts and the rules, this seems like the kind of community I'd like to have for Classic WoW. Laid back, keen to get through the content of the game at their own pace, and most importantly, low on drama.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
    Are there any types of regular activities outside of just playing a game that this group likes to do? i.e. hosting game events, etc.

Just how long has this guild been around? From what I've heard it seems like this guild has been around since before I was completely cognizant.

What's the best way to get myself involved in the community, outside of just being present to play games?

Almost done!

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
    Whatever I'm looking for at the end of the adventure, you know, to make it quicker. I've got dinner at five, can we hurry this up?

After seeing some other applications, I may have overdone it with the word count, but what can I say, I'm an open book!

Hi Paasol,

Welcome to the application process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paasol View Post
    After seeing some other applications, I may have overdone it with the word count, but what can I say, I'm an open book!
    Not at all. This is a good app, so far. We're, generally, a bunch of goof-balls around here, but we take the application process seriously, because we take the quality of our people seriously. This app process is like a first date, where we get to know each other to see if there is a mutual good fit. The more info you provide, the easier it is. That said, various community members will likely swing by here and interact with you. It's important to stay active here in this thread during the app process (see first date comment above). After the app process, we impose no activity requirements on our members.

I'll field one or two of your questions before I ask my own. Our community has been around for about 11 years. We celebrated our 10th anniversary last year by throwing a sexy party in Vegas. As far as getting involved in the community, we have no requirements of our members in that regard, so there are varying levels of participation, but, depending on your interest level, I would say that the best way is to be active in the forums (most of which you can't see until accepted as a member), stay active in Mumble/Discord, and just, generally, try to help out where you think you can.

My questions: how long have you been in the military? Where is the coolest place you've been stationed and why? Where is the shittiest place you've been stationed (if you can say) and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Learnedhand View Post
    Hi Paasol,

Welcome to the application process.

Not at all. This is a good app, so far. We're, generally, a bunch of goof-balls around here, but we take the application process seriously, because we take the quality of our people seriously. This app process is like a first date, where we get to know each other to see if there is a mutual good fit. The more info you provide, the easier it is. That said, various community members will likely swing by here and interact with you. It's important to stay active here in this thread during the app process (see first date comment above). After the app process, we impose no activity requirements on our members.

I'll field one or two of your questions before I ask my own. Our community has been around for about 11 years. We celebrated our 10th anniversary last year by throwing a sexy party in Vegas. As far as getting involved in the community, we have no requirements of our members in that regard, so there are varying levels of participation, but, depending on your interest level, I would say that the best way is to be active in the forums (most of which you can't see until accepted as a member), stay active in Mumble/Discord, and just, generally, try to help out where you think you can.

My questions: how long have you been in the military? Where is the coolest place you've been stationed and why? Where is the shittiest place you've been stationed (if you can say) and why?
    Awesome, I'll be sure to check in on this thread regularly.

I've only been in the military for a year or so at this point, so not much experience, but out of the 3 bases I've been stationed, I'd say my favorite is where I'm at right now, Monterey. The weather here is great, the chain of command treats you with dignity and respect, and I get to learn a language as my job for over a year! We also have the ability to drink, which I wasn't able to do while I was at my first two duty stations due to being in an entry training environment, so we do just that pretty much every weekend. As far as my least favorite, I would probably say Fort Huachuca. The winter there was nice and really beautiful, but as spring rolled around it got way too hot way too damn fast. While the course I was in (which I can't talk about as it is classified information) was a good experience and I got to meet some really cool people who have been doing my job for the entire time I've been alive (and longer), the actual environment was really toxic. Everything there is strict as hell as it is an intelligence oriented base, the actual trainees broke off into cliques and would shit talk everyone else behind their backs, and the chain of command couldn't give less of a shit about you if they tried. Luckily it only lasted 5 months, but I don't envy anyone who had to stay there throughout the summer. In the future, if I complete my Chinese Mandarin course I have a good likelihood of going to Hawaii for my next duty station which would be just killer. If not that, I'm hoping to go to South Korea, Washington state, or Maryland for various reasons I can go into detail about if that's to your or anyone else's interest.

Monterey is nice. My hubs works for the Navy, and that's where their main office is -- FNMOC. We've been talking about spending our last 3 years out there, mainly for the cola increase to our retirements. BUT, the cost of living is nuts. Patrick runs ocean models, and I do sys admin.

If you want to jump in this weekend, we're BadWolf Corp (Horde) on Area 52 and Dazed and Confused on Hyjal (Ally). If not, I think everyone is making classic characters on Pagle? I think the Ally side is more active than the Horde side.

Onto some questions: I read a lot, and love to come across new authors. What are some of your favorite authors and/or series? Second, do you have any pets? If not now, pet stories?

Blog Entries
    Hey there Paasol ... thank you for taking the time to fill out your app, and welcome to "the process". Now comes the part where your personal character and ability to play well with others undergoes a watertight integrity check.

As Learned suggested, this is your app. Fellow Ueys both member and officer alike will stop by to say hi in an effort to get to know you better. Thus it is all on you to keep your app fresh and active. The level and quality of your participation will help those who cast the yay and nay votes determine how well you'd fit in.

To start ... it is highly recommended that you snag an avatar.

I'm glad that you followed up and filled out an app with us. I can honestly profess that I am familiar with you as both a gamer and a person ... a big reason I felt comfortable suggesting that you check us out. But these pantsless wunderkinds won't take my word for it - nor should they. You'll have to prove how and why to them. That means jumping in Mumble or Discord and mixing it up with the gang & possibly playing with Ueys in addition to conspicuously mixing it up in here.

Should you have any questions about Discord, Mumble or how to jump into games with us ... don't hesitate to ask.

I saw that your primary interests are WoW Classic and Overwatch. May I also add Sea of Thieves to that list? Do you have any favorites on Steam? What about console games? If so which platform(s) do you play on and what games do you enjoy the most?

And finally (at least for this go round) ... burger or bacon?

Cheers!

Keg

Considering Star Citizen? CLICK HERE to use my referral code & get bonus UEC!

Hi Paasol:

Just a few questions ...

When you are in a dungeon, do you want to do a full clear or just clear enough of the mobs to get to the end?
    While in a group, do you stay with the group or do you run ahead if they are slow?
    What do you enjoy most about WoW and what do you like least? And why?

Unfortunately, I'm not very active on current WoW, I'm pretty burnt out on it at the moment, but thank you for the offer! I will, however, be playing a lot of classic WoW and I'd be more than happy to participate with people there to get to know the community more!

As for books, I used to read a lot more than I do now, so a lot of my favorite series fall under the category of high school level fiction, which I can see as not be appealing to many. Currently, when I do find the time, I've been reading through the Game of Thrones series as the show had me hooked, but since the ending fell flat on it's face, I wanted to experience the story straight from the source! Right now I'm working my way through A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, which is pretty nice because there a much lower level of complexity in the storytelling and world building. It's a good break from the rest of the series. Personally, my favorite book series is "The Arc of a Scythe" by Neal Shusterman. Like I said earlier, this is a more high school level book when compared to something like GoT, but it's just written so well. The concept of the series is that humanity has advanced to a point where we can cure all disease and injury, making death obsolete. To counteract overpopulation, the occupation known as "Scythedom" was invented. The job of a scythe is to impartially and randomly select people to kill permanently, making "scythe" one of the most powerful positions in the world. The books follow two apprentice scythes as they learn the job, and every step of the way is enthralling. The series also contains quite a few quotes I really enjoy. "Guilt is the idiot cousin of remorse" The author take a look into immortality, the meaning of death, and the issue of humanity having power over death in such an interesting way that I keep coming back to these books. Also, the third and final book in this series is being released on the 3rd of next month! As for pets, I unfortunately do not have any right now, but if the army allowed them in the barracks, I would most definitely have a cat. The closest I have right now is Mao Shangwei (captain cat in English, though that sounds a lot less slick). This little guy comes to my Chinese department during the breaks and loves on everyone. The actual language course is pretty stressful, so we've opted to call him our therapy cat. I have had a few other pets in my lifetime (all cats) that I love to death and I'm sure there are plenty of stories I have held up in my brain somewhere, I just can't recall them off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by GalacticKegger View Post
    Hey there Paasol ... thank you for taking the time to fill out your app, and welcome to "the process". Now comes the part where your personal character and ability to play well with others undergoes a watertight integrity check.

As Learned suggested, this is your app. Fellow Ueys both member and officer alike will stop by to say hi in an effort to get to know you better. Thus it is all on you to keep your app fresh and active. The level and quality of your participation will help those who cast the yay and nay votes determine how well you'd fit in.

To start ... it is highly recommended that you snag an avatar.

I'm glad that you followed up and filled out an app with us. I can honestly profess that I am familiar with you as both a gamer and a person ... a big reason I felt comfortable suggesting that you check us out. But these pantsless wunderkinds won't take my word for it - nor should they. You'll have to prove how and why to them. That means jumping in Mumble or Discord and mixing it up with the gang & possibly playing with Ueys in addition to conspicuously mixing it up in here.

Should you have any questions about Discord, Mumble or how to jump into games with us ... don't hesitate to ask.

I saw that your primary interests are WoW Classic and Overwatch. May I also add Sea of Thieves to that list? Do you have any favorites on Steam? What about console games? If so which platform(s) do you play on and what games do you enjoy the most?

And finally (at least for this go round) ... burger or bacon?

Cheers!

Keg
    I will most definitely find myself an avatar here in the next day or so, give me just a little bit of time to think on it

Of course, how could I forget about Sea of Thieves? Who doesn't love getting on a pirate ship, pounding 5 steins of ale, then launching yourself out of a cannon at an enemy ship? Throw that one onto the list.

As far as steam goes, I mainly play CS:GO and most of my singleplayer games on there. I do have other multiplayer games on there that I play from time to time like Smite, Killing Floor 2, Rainbow Six Siege, and Dead by Daylight. I also play Payday 2 every now and then which is fun when you feel like stealthily infiltrating a casino and emptying out all the cash they have stored in there. I do have Fallout 76 on my PS4, but I don't really ever get on my PS4. On the Nintendo Switch I'm currently playing through Fire Emblem Three Houses. As for burger or bacon, that's a really silly question, isn't it? A bacon burger, of course. If I have to choose one or the other for the rest of my life, bacon, full send.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast