Thread: For the audio nerds: Electrostatic Speakers

A random internet tangent landed me on this page: https://www.martinlogan.com/en/electrostatic-esl-theory

It's from a company that make hybrid electrostatic speakers, where they include a regular sub as electrostatic speakers are said to have some issues reproducing lower frequencies. I'd never heard of them before so it proved to be a pretty interesting read as they're substantially different from the regular cone-and-coil speakers we're all familiar with.

If you've got a static listening position these could be interesting, but from the sounds of it they're not too grand if you're likely to be moving around.

Blog Entries
    Electrostatic speakers are the shit. You are right about them not being great if you move much. Fortunately, electrostatic headphones exist. You can still find old Stax headphones hovering around the $1000 mark, and there are a few newer companies, such as HiFiMan that are also producing them. Downside is obviously the price. The cheapest of the cheapest are still going to eat $300+ from your bank account, and the cost can skyrocket from there into the tens of thousands.
    TMcMahon.5014 - GW2
    CooteKT#1743 - BNet
    @TMc51 - STO

They say that life's a carousel spinning fast, you've got to ride it well
    The world is full of Kings and Queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams
    And they'll tell you black is really white, that the moon is just the sun at night
    And when you walk in golden halls you get to keep the gold that falls
    It's Heaven and Hell, oh no!

Yeah, I can see them being pretty damn pricey. Just the technology involved in creating the diaphragm piece has gotta be pretty in-depth, nevermind the engineering behind making oscillate.

Blog Entries
    I almost bought a set of HiFiMan cans a few years ago, but $300 were a bit much to justify at the time. Now, they've moved upstream and their offerings cost twice as much and more.

That said, they still have a nice price on Planar Magnetic headphones, which tend to land somewhere inbetween traditional diaphragm speaker tech and electrostatic.

Blog Entries
    Bah, give me a hand cranked Victrola any day! That'll get the chicks to dance the Charleston, hat cha cha!

Blog Entries
    NOVA's Secret Life of Scientists and Engineers: Tom Scholz ...

Considering Star Citizen? CLICK HERE to use my referral code & get bonus UEC!