View Poll Results: Would you have a drink with them? (the results have no bearing on whether they get in or not)

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: App: Rotaderp - The Old Republic, WoW, Overwatch (4/0)

Quote Originally Posted by Silentgurl View Post
    nice! Soldier 76 is my 2nd main for DPS

I love his backstory, I'm a sucker for the ex-special forces brooding anti-hero. Punisher anyone?

I live in Texas, but I'm adopted from Bangladesh"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotaderp View Post
    I love his backstory, I'm a sucker for the ex-special forces brooding anti-hero. Punisher anyone?
    haah nice! I've been trying to work on the Overwatch event as well....I like collecting the skins and such =p
    "Siggy-Courtesy of the One and Only, Pfloyd"

I like this question. So I'm going to date myself a bit here with my answers but here are by initial thoughts:

Wizardry series - This really started the dungeon crawl games. This inspired Bard's Tale and that inspired several others.

Balur's Gates series - These really kicked off great story telling in games and great NPC to player interactions. I still love the various dynamics that can happen between characters in your party at different times in BG2.

Ultima 4 - This game was really the first that was a giant open world game that let you do what you wanted and when you wanted to. This is also a game that proved you don't have to fight an evil bad guy at the end. This game was amazing and I spent an absurd amount of time with it as a kid. I had a notebook filled with notes from various points the game and I simply loved living in the world. this game is what made Ultima Online seem possible and Ultima Online started MMORPG's.

Final Fantasy 4, 6 and 7 - These games really took video games story telling to a whole new level and put it on par with story telling in other forms. The 20 minute ending sequences to 4 and 6 were just amazing payoffs and simply the attention to having a story and reason each character was involved was amazing. These games changed how future games told stories.

I suppose I'll ask a question then: What do you consider your most influential games of all time, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by tallon View Post
    I like this question. So I'm going to date myself a bit here with my answers but here are by initial thoughts:

Wizardry series - This really started the dungeon crawl games. This inspired Bard's Tale and that inspired several others.

Balur's Gates series - These really kicked off great story telling in games and great NPC to player interactions. I still love the various dynamics that can happen between characters in your party at different times in BG2.

Ultima 4 - This game was really the first that was a giant open world game that let you do what you wanted and when you wanted to. This is also a game that proved you don't have to fight an evil bad guy at the end. This game was amazing and I spent an absurd amount of time with it as a kid. I had a notebook filled with notes from various points the game and I simply loved living in the world. this game is what made Ultima Online seem possible and Ultima Online started MMORPG's.

Final Fantasy 4, 6 and 7 - These games really took video games story telling to a whole new level and put it on par with story telling in other forms. The 20 minute ending sequences to 4 and 6 were just amazing payoffs and simply the attention to having a story and reason each character was involved was amazing. These games changed how future games told stories.

Some great games in there. For me, I'd have to say:

Half-Life - Not just the game itself but everything it spawned from mods (Counter-strike, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress etc)

Tie Fighter/Wing Commander 3 - I was a huge space sim guy, and these two games were the pinnacle for me. Freespace 2 should also get a nod for its amazing graphics (well beyond it's time) and sense of scope. Capital ships were huuuuge, and fleet combat felt explosive.

Command And Conquer - I mean, I love Starcraft as much as the next guy, but for me it all started with C&C, and just got better with the Red Alert spin offs.

Metal Gear Solid Series - I loved the focus on stealth and I really loved the story, which kept you guessing from one moment to the next.

OK. Or not OK. That is the question and the rub.
    This is a great question indeed! So I'll mix in some personal preference along with what seems to actually have done a thing for the industry.

Pong - this i think is probably THE most influential and 'game changing' game of all time. The first of its kind if I recall correctly; no one else had ever made any sort of digital game that was played on a screen. Without this I don't know if any one else would have thought of anything similar enough to make the revolution occur.

Everquest - I only played a very little bit but it was the first real intrudction to any sort of massive online game that I knew of. Even though it didn't really fit my likes it opened the proverbial floodgates for others to come in, like Dark Age of Camelot (looking at several of those boxes on my gaming shelf right now).

Super Mario - the original NES game that thousands upon thousands, maybe even millions upon millions, of kids from the 80s played and got hooked on the idea of gaming. Look at just how many mario styled games there are now and all the various types of clones that were made over the years. Sonic, BONK!, etc. Hell I still go back and play SMB at least once a year.

I'll flip the question around a bit now: What do you think is the most influential gaming related hardware 2018/now?
    I was big in Japan, I was king of ping pong. Yea I was bad a tuba and I'm sure you'd like me to bounce.
    https://youtu.be/k9tgLnI0fFc?t=3m28s

Half-Life is a good answer on this one. I loved Counter Strike way back in the beta days. I played it a ton back then, amazing game.

I also loved the X-Wing series games and I'm really disappointed we don't get anything like that anymore. They could do so much with today's computers.
    Last edited by tallon; 04-25-2019 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by battlebovine View Post
    This is a great question indeed! So I'll mix in some personal preference along with what seems to actually have done a thing for the industry.

Pong - this i think is probably THE most influential and 'game changing' game of all time. The first of its kind if I recall correctly; no one else had ever made any sort of digital game that was played on a screen. Without this I don't know if any one else would have thought of anything similar enough to make the revolution occur.

Everquest - I only played a very little bit but it was the first real intrudction to any sort of massive online game that I knew of. Even though it didn't really fit my likes it opened the proverbial floodgates for others to come in, like Dark Age of Camelot (looking at several of those boxes on my gaming shelf right now).

Super Mario - the original NES game that thousands upon thousands, maybe even millions upon millions, of kids from the 80s played and got hooked on the idea of gaming. Look at just how many mario styled games there are now and all the various types of clones that were made over the years. Sonic, BONK!, etc. Hell I still go back and play SMB at least once a year.

I'll flip the question around a bit now: What do you think is the most influential gaming related hardware 2018/now?
    I'm not a huge hardware person tbh, so I can't give you a great technical answer, but the advances in GFX Cards has been quite impressive in the last 18 months. I'm also looking forward to the new engine being used in CyberPunk 2077 which apparently allows for more realized, populated NPC hubs with less strain on engine intensity, which if true could lead to further advances in single player immersion.

@Tallon - With all the VR technology and the graphics, imagine an Xwing in VR. Or Mechwarrior. Why do we not have these things!

@Tallon - With all the VR technology and the graphics, imagine an Xwing in VR. Or Mechwarrior. Why do we not have these things!
    No kidding!!

Everything I'm seeing here is really positive, I'm going to give the first yes vote.

I live in Texas, but I'm adopted from Bangladesh"
    nice! Congrats on your first vote Rot

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast