View Poll Results: Would you have a drink with them? (the results have no bearing on whether they get in or not)

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: App: Rotaderp - The Old Republic, WoW, Overwatch (4/0)

Membership Application
    Are you over 18? (You must be 18+ to apply.)
    Yes

What are some games you plan on playing with us?
    The Old Republic, WoW, Overwatch

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with?
    Bladewind, Klivian, Rotaderp

Do you have friends or family in the Unrepentant community? If so what is their forum name?
    Psikhotyk

So... let's talk! What follows are a bunch of questions that give us a sense of your personality, and give us something to talk about. If your answers are boring or short, we’ll assume you’re boring (and probably short).

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
    I had graduated college and was about to start work in January of the following year in Washington D.C. There was a music/gaming event that was historically held over News Years called Magfest, therefore a number of my best friends from highschool were in town and we decided to have a News Year/Graduation party on New Years Eve. Our night out on the town started with an ill omen, as one of my good friends managed to spill THE ENTIRE CONTENTS of his wallet through the 2 inch gap between the subway car and the platform when he was boarding. He blames the rain and says he slipped. Did I mention it was raining? So we had to wait for staff to come with pickers and in between breaks fish all of his credit cards, ID, and pictures off of the rails and back into his wallet.

Already with one success under our belt, we went to a friends apartment to pregame, and then headed out to a club opening where we would, in theory, be spending the rest of our evening. Now, my arrival at this club was standard. Dressed in a full suit I stepped out of the cab....and immediately faceplanted on the concrete. Did I mention it raining? It had nothing to do with the previous drinking. The bouncers did not seem to buy that explanation, so I was sent to a nearby restaurant to "sober up".

Our group did end up making inside the club, where nothing too crazy happened. However, getting home was another story. Because of the rain and packed streets of D.C., there were huge crowds and the chances of getting a cab were slim in the frenzy. There were quite a few officers trying to keep everything organized, and I figured I should stop swaying in a little circle and nonchalantly leaned against a parked car for support. This did not amuse the police officer IN the car, nor the 4 others around the car which I had not recognized. Did I mention it was raining?

I was told in no uncertain terms that I would get an exclusive car ride of my own should I remain in the area, which sounded great! My friend ruined it by leading me away from the nice officer and his offer and into a random alley. So now the two of us, separated from our group and lost in D.C. took another 3 hours to find our way home.

To cap off this lovely 24 hour span, I decided to get everyone breakfast before we all went to the event. My friend allowed me to use his car, which was a piece of junk. I mean, literally the thing was fighting my every move and I had to plant my foot to the floor to get any power. It was when smoke began coming through the hood (from my field of view), that I called my friend and told him his car was dying. He was silent for 30 seconds as he processed what I told him and the symptoms, then asked "You did release the parking break correct?".

Did I mention it was raining?

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
    The coolest job I've ever was doing audit work for an Aerospace and Defense client of our firm. We were taken to see the facilities that they use to prep items for space, the assembly areas for rockets and other items like satellites along with items in various stages of production. It was just a very cool experience overall.

As for my worst? Well, I worked for a CPA firm (one of the Big 4), and my first client out of college was one of the largest lenders of mortgages in the world....during the credit crisis. That job was pure hell, and just about as stressful a job as I've ever had.

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
    Dragon Age: Origins - I still continue to play this game to this day. It, for me, was the pinnacle of Bioware's storytelling and character/world building. I still remember how blown away I was when I first played it.

Counter-strike - The first competitive FPS I ever played, I have sunk tens of thousands of hours into this game, made lifelong friends, and always come back to no matter what the hot FPS/Battle Royale/MMO craze is. All roads lead back to counterstrike for me. After nearly 20 years of playing it, maybe it's Stockholm Syndrome at this point. It is one of those games that is both instantly rewarded but the ceiling for skill is almost non existent. Many of best gaming moments come from competitive counter-strike.

Deus Ex - Human Revolution: One of my favorite series of all time, from the varied playstyles being rewarded to the world created and the intrigue of all the various conspiracy theories and shady organizations which work in the shadows. I love cyberpunk style games (2077 anyone?) and Deus Ex's series just keep me coming back for more. Human Revolution the most, although I can't peg down why.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
    The most annoying person is actually a category of people because I generally tend to have a live and let live attitude towards everything. But if there is something that drives me crazy it's when people who have never had anything to do with your profession attempt to tell you how to do your job.

As a former tennis player, when I would give lessons to kids or run summer camps, I dealt with so many parents who tried to tell me what I should be teaching their child, how to do it, what I was doing wrong, to the point where I handed my racquet to one parent and asked if they'd do the lesson because I did not see the point of me being there (my boss was not thrilled about that). This happens everywhere, and it may seem like a minor annoyance, but it's one that drives me crazy whenever it happens.

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
    I was formerly a top 500 player in the United States as an under 18 junior player for tennis. I spent a summer training with the son of Bjorn Borg, and my next door neighbor of many years was a professional player (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Wilkison) who reached top 25 in the world. That meant I met a lot of really, really well known tennis stars and either watched them train, trained with them, or got simply meet many of the greats of the game.

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
    Honestly, the older I get, the harder it is for me to stay involved in singular communities (as most guilds fixate on a single game). Some of the best nights/years of my life were with my old counterstrike teams when we WEREN
    'T playing counterstrike, but just chilling, talking, and messing around in other games. We're all grown up now and while we still keep in touch, I miss have a group of people that are just fun to hang out with, regardless of what game is being played, and also not being tied to a single game. Psikhotyk recommended this to me and so, here I am.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
    How many current, active members across all games would you estimate you have?

Does game support happen organically (ie. we know a lot of people are going to want to play/do play this game, lets create a separate forum) or is there a more formalized process?

What would you say the average age of your community members is?

Almost done!

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
    Why, a wooden sword of course!
    Zelda jokes aside, I'd say a flashlight. Light sources may be scarce (if there are any) and I sure wouldn't want to be wandering an unknown cave in pitch darkness.

I live in Texas, but I'm adopted from Bangladesh"
    Hi Rotaderp! Welcome to the App process, some yellow named peep should be by and let you know how the process works etc. I see you are applying with a few games..one of them is one of my favorites, and it's Overwatch. I am huge fan of that game, and I love doing heals lol Lucio, is my main and I've enjoyed my time in that game for sure..what is your main in it? and why do you enjoy playing that character?...if you need any help at all, please let one of us know, and we will be happy to help you, and Good luck with your App
    "Siggy-Courtesy of the One and Only, Pfloyd"

I haven't kept up with the current meta but Soldier 76 and Widow were my two mains simply because my counterstrike skills transferred to them very easily (along with Mcree). Although whenever my team needed heals I'd drop the beat with lucio. There's something oddly satisfying about blasting someone off the edge of the map with his "weapon".

You know me?

Quote Originally Posted by Psikhotyk View Post
    You know me?
    Sadly yes...yes I do

OK. Or not OK. That is the question and the rub.
    Welcome to The Process, Rotaderp!!!

So here is a basic rundown of how this goes. Think of this as a first date type of thing. You need to interact with the app process quite a bit to keep us appraised of what's going on. The main reason folks get rejected is lack of interaction. Go check out the rejected/accepted apps to see what I mean. We also 100% understand real life kicking peoples arses so we give a good bit of leeway for talking to us but do let us know if somethings going on.
    4 yes votes get you IN and 3 no get you OUT but with well wishes. Yellow names (ufficers), greens (community leaders), purples (penultimate power gods aka guild leaders) can all vote. Reds are regular members and we rely on them to get a good feel for when we don't play the same games.

Is it raining?

Dragon Age Origins is one of the best games, hands down. It's right up there with Neverwinter Nights 2 as they both nailed the pacing, action, and over all storytelling. The sheer number of ways you can build out a character is just amazing and then you have the DLC and mods and just... nggghh fun times no matter what hehe

So you know, psi? I'm sorry?

As to your question regarding player #s. While I don't have an exact count off the top of my head, the guild itself has several hundred members, not all of which are active at any one time. A lot of us lurk, hang out in the multiple chat / VC mediums, and a couple of primary games. Neverwinter being the foremost of the bunch I'd say. We've got ARK, Minecraft, regularish RocketLeague sessions (SG can fill you in on those, the boobhead) and the others you listed out plus tons more, including some VR stuff on occasion. NW i'd say has a good 40+ that play on a fairly regular basis along with some top tier folks. Though we're not a minmaxer type of guild. The first and most important thing to us, aside from the vetting process, is could we hang out and just have a beer with someone. Other than that we really don't take much too seriously. No required raiding or anything of that sort.

Do you still play any tennis or give out lessons?
    I was big in Japan, I was king of ping pong. Yea I was bad a tuba and I'm sure you'd like me to bounce.
    https://youtu.be/k9tgLnI0fFc?t=3m28s

It is....in fact...raining.

I am old school bioware. Everything from Balduar's Gate, KOTOR, Jade Empire, Dragon Age, Mass Effect. That was the company I trusted for so long to deliver me the best stories. I suppose recently CD Projekt Red has taken that title. The newer generation of RPG's has, unfortunately in my eyes, taken a lot of the core elements I loved and removed them. Player and NPC customization, a linear plot, developed characters and a meaningful story, etc.

As for Psi, i met that unfortunate soul as a fellow co-worker 2.5 years ago and we became friends through shared misery .

I do not teach or play tennis anymore, unfortunately. During my sophomore year of collegiate competition I managed to thoroughly wreck my back during a match. 12 months of rehab and then I started my working career....such is life. I do still follow the pro scene avidly though. Federer is a god to me. I noticed in your signature you are the King of Ping Pong. We tennis players loved our ping pong in between matches. Some of our pong matches were more bloodthirsty than the tennis matches we played.

Other than that, I play lots of random games when I have time, so please don't let the list of games in the title fool you. Like music or movies, my video game appetite spans all genres, and I'm always looking for the next adventure.

Hi Rotaderp and welcome to the U! You've come to the right place for random gaming with the same awesome, chill people for eternity. I imagine you travelled around a lot as a tennis player. What is the coolest place you've ever been to? Why did you like it there? Any good food?

Quote Originally Posted by B4nanaBread View Post
    Hi Rotaderp and welcome to the U! You've come to the right place for random gaming with the same awesome, chill people for eternity. I imagine you travelled around a lot as a tennis player. What is the coolest place you've ever been to? Why did you like it there? Any good food?

I actually have traveled to every one of the 48 landlocked states to play in a tournament of some kind. I was never quite good enough to qualifiy for international events. For me, the coolest place was Kalamazoo, Michigan. They host the annual 18 under and 16 under tennis championships, and have done so for decades. Literally every great U.S. male player has gone through Kalamazoo. Just getting an invite was amazing. I don't remember much about the food to be honest (we were so focused on eating our protein bars and bland meals). I am a steak person, so we always loved tournaments in the midwest. We'd pool our money and find the best local steak or bbq joints in town.

But yea, travel and practice was crazy. I practiced 2 hours before school, 3 hours after school, and traveled probably 48 weekends a year? And even though I thought that was a lot, just watching what my coach did showed me the difference between people who have the drive to go pro and those who top out in the lower tiers.

Oh yeah, you worked in HELL with Meat Popsicle and I.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast