View Poll Results: Would you have a drink with them? (the results have no bearing on whether they get in or not)

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: App: kbkaehn - Neverwinter, ESO, EQ2 (4/0)

Membership Application
    Are you over 18? (You must be 18+ to apply.)
    Yes

What are some games you plan on playing with us?
    Neverwinter, ESO, EQ2

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with?

Do you have friends or family in the Unrepentant community? If so what is their forum name?
    Don't think so

So... let's talk! What follows are a bunch of questions that give us a sense of your personality, and give us something to talk about. If your answers are boring or short, we’ll assume you’re boring (and probably short).

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
    I was wandering the house complaining to my family (wife & 4 kids) that I couldn't find my keys. Standing in front of them, I reached into my pocket, not finding the keys. Then I transferred the keys to my other hand and reached into my pocket and didn't find the keys. So I said "See, I can't find them!" The family laughed uproariously

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
    The coolest job I have had is the current one where I get to define what I do and don't do. I am on a constant quest to find things with computers that people say can't be done and then go and do them.

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
    Pong - it was my first video game
    I didn't play too many video games as they mostly came along when I was an adult and working too hard.
    There is one that the entire family played and I would play again but for the life of me I can't remember the name but is was a very old dungeon delver game.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
    It is very hard for me to identify an annoying person because I immediately forget that sort of behavior. The closest I can come to is my wife annoys me -- I remember because I am with her all the time and I love her so her opinion and activities are very important to me.

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
    I am a very well read person. I am always reading one or two books as I can. My favorites are mystery/detective novels though I read all genres except romance novels.

Another point to me is I know I don't know everything. The thing I do know is I usually know where to look to find what is needed. The exception to this is I am frequently flummoxed by people and relationships.

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
    I am looking for mature casual players. Also, I see you "support" a lot of games so finding same/similar people in all the games I play is very beneficial. I am looking for a home in my gaming that will provide a lynchpin to making friends which is very hard for me.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
    -

Almost done!

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
    A map. If the cave is full of twisty passages all alike or twisty passages all different (mainframe ADVENTURE game reference) then a map may be the only way you can find your way.

Hi Kbkaehn,

Welcome to the application process. If you haven't done so already, you can join us in Neverwinter while your app is pending by joining our in game custom chat channel, introducing yourself as a new applicant, and requesting a recruit invite. As far as the app process itself, it is much like a first date, where we get to know each other to see if we want to buy the proverbial cow. You need 4 yes votes for acceptance and 3 no votes for rejection. Only members with yellow, green or purple forum names can cast official votes, although members with red forum names may stop by to chat or drop unofficial votes. For that reason, it's important to stay active here during your app process, even if you have been active in game, as not all of our members play neverwinter. After acceptance, we impose absolutely no activity requirements on our members. Most of our rejected applications are the result of inactivity. We also have discord and mumble. The discord hookup you can find in our Neverwinter guild MotD. The Mumble stuff I can PM you if you're interested. Some of our branches prefer Mumble. Our Nevewinter branch uses Discord pretty exclusively.

As far as your embarassing story, I can relate. I'm constantly looking for my keys when they're in my hand, losing my sunglasses when they're on my face, and other ridiculous shit. It's a good thing my head is attached to the rest of my body.

I've pulled a similar stunt with the keys. I had them in my hand as I was digging through my pockets. Finally someone asked "Are you looking for THOSE keys?" and pointed at my hand. Embarrassing!!

Ah, I remember now. The video game was "Shining in the Darkness". All 6 of us played it through many times.

OK. Or not OK. That is the question and the rub.
    Yea, gonna chime in here as well of searching for an item in my pockets while not finding it because i'm holding the damn thing. In this case it would a cell phone and considering how large the stupid things are now that seems to be a mean feat in and of itself.

So since Pong was your first game that you saw, what do you think of the state of tech and where its come from over the past 40+ years? We went from vacuum tubes to transistors that are literally the size of atoms now (though not yet commercially viable even if stable at room temps).
    I was big in Japan, I was king of ping pong. Yea I was bad a tuba and I'm sure you'd like me to bounce.
    https://youtu.be/k9tgLnI0fFc?t=3m28s

I am amazed at the speed at which the tech has advanced. I started on mainframes as big as a room and the laptop on my desk has so much more power. When I started work in 1979, I ran a minicomputer lab where each one supported about 100 simultaneous users on 8MB of memory. Now, I've got a dedicated (4 actually) with 32GB of memory processors that are probably 100 times faster all to myself. When I started the job I have now, the company I work for has a large datacenter that was so full they were looking into an expansion. With the move to microcomputers and the general shrinking of IBM technology, they have 2-3 times the workload and capacity and the room is only about half full. I guess shrinkage is good in some places. In the 1980s when I was working for a computer company, you could by a 3D graphics card for about $5K and you had a major workstation to put it in. Now everyone has one (or at least the gamers do).

Overall I am very happy with the changes in technology but I tip my hat to the people who started it all.

Oh, yes! I should also say that I am old enough to have had to work with an analog computer. It was built with tubes but when I got there, it had been upgraded to discrete transistors. The thing was huge and programming it was wiring a breadboard.
    Last edited by kbkaehn; 08-23-2018 at 01:47 PM.

So, back in the 90's, I worked for a company called Wawa that ran convenience stores in the area. We had installed DEC VAX computers in the datacenter and video terminals in all the stores. We expected the store associates to replace the terminals if needed.

One store needed a replacement so we sent it out. The store associate assigned to replace it called the helpdesk saying they couldn't figure it out. They have the terminal in front of them on the desk and can't find the connectors on the back. They were told to turn the terminal around until the screen was towards them, they indicated that they couldn't find the screen. The enterprising helpdesk associate looked at their terminal as an example and told the store associate to lift the terminal over their head and look up. Ahh, there was the screen!

So Learned, Your avatar looks familiar but I can't place him. Is he a relation? If he is a "famous" person who is he if I am not being to nosey?

Quote Originally Posted by kbkaehn View Post
    So Learned, Your avatar looks familiar but I can't place him. Is he a relation? If he is a "famous" person who is he if I am not being to nosey?
    Not at all. My avatar is a picture of Union Civil War General Ambrose Burnside, whose signature look inspired the term "sideburns."

Hello kbkaehn, welcome to the application process. I enjoyed reading your app, but I don't think we've spoken much in game yet. I see you're nearing level 70 though, so hopefully we'll get a chance to run some content together. I have seen you post a bit in the Neverwinter Discord channel, hopefully we can get you to hop in and chat us up some time. Maybe on your first epic dungeon run Let us know when you hit 70, and we'll help you unlock the zone that'll get you some sweet gear.
    I'm a mom, but I'm not your mom.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast