Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ready Player One - Everything and the kitchen sink...

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds huntgod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Inconnel View Post
    One thing from a comment on the first trailer to drop on YouTube...

The copyright/intellectual property rights would have been an absolute nightmare to navigate so it could be included, particularly some of the old video games and D&D stuff.

Given that some of the old game titles have changed ownership up to a dozen times, it was most likely to consult with Cline and see what could be chnaged/included and still keep the story fresh and true philosophocally to the book.

I had not thought about that, but it's absolutely true. The people crawling out of the wood work to sue because they have some tenuous connection to a property used in the film does sound nightmarish.

Hell Uwe Boll is suing over the use of Rampage in the new Rock movie, he claims it could be mistaken for his Rampage trilogy...yeah right. Ignoring that the film is based on a video game from 1986 which predates Uwe's shitty films by 30 years.

"I'd rather watch a man masturbate than watch Cricket..." - HuntGod

OK. Or not OK. That is the question and the rub.
    Man, FUCK ewe boll. That dude is a terrible person in general and shouldn't be making any sort of films. Aside from the fact that they all are 100% pure garbage. ican't even watch one to count as a bad movie on bad movie night. ugh
    I was big in Japan, I was king of ping pong. Yea I was bad a tuba and I'm sure you'd like me to bounce.
    https://youtu.be/k9tgLnI0fFc?t=3m28s

I am the Waffleman. Goo goo gajoob. Dao Jones's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by huntgod View Post
    I gave up on literal adaptation of book to film ages ago...
    I thought The Martian was a great example of a movie that was almost perfectly faithful to the book. The only stuff they cut out was content that was in no way integral to the narrative or experience of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Dao Jones View Post
    I thought The Martian was a great example of a movie that was almost perfectly faithful to the book. The only stuff they cut out was content that was in no way integral to the narrative or experience of the book.
    That's why I used literal, in a non ironic sense :-P

There were folks that chafed at some of the changes in the Martian as well and people that raised hell about SPEW being left out of Harry Potter or Dobby replacing Neville in part of the Goblet of Fire and so on.

I felt Ready Player One was very faithful to the book and though there was material left out I didn't feel it detracted from the spirit of the movie.

i still cant wait to see Ready player one and after reading these posts i may go see it sooner rather than later

As someone who does not like Ready Player One the book, the movie was a fair 7/10. It, at the very least, lacked depth consistently and was an easy/graphically pleasing watch.

I am the Waffleman. Goo goo gajoob. Dao Jones's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylatron View Post
    As someone who does not like Ready Player One the book

With what they cut, and the sheer volume of IP, trademark, and copyright issues, I can see them going around, like "We want to make this movie can we use your IP/TM/C" and whenever someone said no, they went "Perfect!" and cut that scene out.
    Once they finished getting permissions, then they went through and wrote a script through cut content, adapted what needed to be adapted, and so on.

If they made it a trilogy, with each "Key" being the climax / end of movie, that'd be fantastic.

After my grump at difference between book and movie, I evaluated what I saw w/o the filter of what I wanted to see.

Definite 9/10 to me.

15ml Spiced Rum
    30ml White Rum
    60ml Coconut Rum
    30ml Midori
    1 dash Lime Juice
    30ml Apple Juice

Quote Originally Posted by huntgod View Post
    I gave up on literal adaptation of book to film ages ago...it can be difficult at times, but if you can pull it off, I recommend it.

Some examples, Starship Troopers and Dune, as adaptations they are just fucking horrible, but if you take a step back, they are highly entertaining and inspired by material that I loved. Though Starship Troopers differs so significantly that without the title you likely wouldn't know it was "based" on the book.

Game of Thrones is another one, it captures some elements of the books perfectly but then misses the mark on others and straight up creates scenes that don't exist in the book, this irked me to no end at first and then I accepted it.

Some even benefit from this sort of editing, I honestly think the Harry Potter movies are on the whole, better than the books, some of this is due to editing dumb and pointless content out, Like SPEW, that no one on the book side had the authority to tell Rowling NO about.

Anyway, if they'd broken it into three movies, I don't honestly think there was enough material to cover that without artificially stretching what was there and having some dead time, kind of like Netflix insisting on making there Marvel shows 13 episodes when they generally only have 9-10 episodes of material so you end up with a lot of dead drag spots or whole filler episodes.

There were scenes I really missed, I was looking forward to the D&D stuff and only got a single Gygax reference and there were a few others, but I was pretty happy with what we got and didn't expect much more.

We’re going to have to agree to disagree on the Harry Potter movies and books. The books were way better than the movies and I really did like the movies. On Ready Player One, I went in telling myself I wasn’t going to get upset about the changes and did have to remind myself several times but overall I enjoyed the movie.
    9/10 beers recommend Unrepentant for pantless gaming. The 10th had already been drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by LoRdNlKoN View Post
    We’re going to have to agree to disagree on the Harry Potter movies and books. The books were way better than the movies and I really did like the movies. On Ready Player One, I went in telling myself I wasn’t going to get upset about the changes and did have to remind myself several times but overall I enjoyed the movie.
    Well I didn't find all the movies better than the books...specifically Goblet of Fire was a better book, though I did like some of the changes they made to the movie, as it streamlined some plot elements, but the editing on HP4 was choppy and a mess at times. The issues I had from book 4 and film 4 had more to do with Rowling's editors being unable or willing to say no to her and it lead to some fat in the books that was chopped in the films. On the first 3 I felt the books were marginally better than the movies, or a tie. My favorite book and film are both Prisoner of Azkaban.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast