Thread: Moviepass is awesome and Thor Ragnarok was a blast...

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds huntgod's Avatar
    So finally got my Moviepass cards today, so wife and I went to Thor Ragnarok, which was fantastic and is a solid top 4-5 in the Marvel Franchise.

If you aren't familiar with Moviepass, it's $9.95 a month and allows you to go to one movie EVERYDAY for the month, renewable each month.

So you pay $10 and could, if you want, go to 30 movies, any showing, over the next 30 days.

The only caveats, it's standard showings, no IMAX or 3D...that's it.

You subscribe, they send you a Mastercard debit card. The service starts when you activate it by charging your first movie.

You have an app on your phone, you have to be within 100' of the theater (your account is locked to your phone and it's GPS) you pull up the movie you want, the time you want, reserve it, the company immediately loads the funds to the debit card, you then have 30 minutes to go and purchase the ticket. You walk up, request the ticket, swipe the card and you are done.

SO the other caveat would be you can't pre-purchase tickets well ahead of time and such...so that could be an issue for opening night at something like Star Wars. You also have to make the ticket purchase separate of other purchases, which is a little gripe, but not a big deal.

Also since you are actually purchasing the ticket, you can also get reward points, like Stubs, etc.

Anyway, if you aren't familiar with the service, check it out, it's the same guy behind Netflix and Redbox AND if you haven't seen Thor, go see it.

Last thing it takes about 7-10 days to get the card, so keep that in mind if something is coming up you want to see...

"I'd rather watch a man masturbate than watch Cricket..." - HuntGod

Movie Pass is fricking awesome! I've had it for about a month for my wife and I. You can always let someone else use it too, doesn't have to be you (they will need your login and your card though or you can just buy tickets for them). Either way, one use will most likely pay for itself, although I must have popcorn, so I'm obviously spending a lot more on concessions than I usually would in one month. Still worth it. =)

And yes, Thor was awesome!

Battlenet
    : Xanz#1656
    Uplay: Xanfu
    Steam: Xanfu

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds huntgod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanz View Post
    Movie Pass is fricking awesome! I've had it for about a month for my wife and I. You can always let someone else use it too, doesn't have to be you (they will need your login and your card though or you can just buy tickets for them). Either way, one use will most likely pay for itself, although I must have popcorn, so I'm obviously spending a lot more on concessions than I usually would in one month. Still worth it. =)

And yes, Thor was awesome!
    Be forewarned if you use your login on another device more than twice in a 12 month period, it will flag it and you could conceivably have the account cancelled for abuse. You are allowed to use your account on a second device, or change the device the account is linked to, twice, for someone who gets a new phone, for example, but more than twice is "Abuse" according to the TOS.

But yes, there is nothing stopping you from purchasing a ticket for someone else for a later showing and then giving it to them.

Also they made one other kind of pain in the ass change to the service, if you cancel, they are saying you cannot resubscribe for 9 months. Obviously all you need is a credit card and email, so you could definitely resub, but then linking it to the cell phone they have on file might flag or something.

They also now offer a $6.95 a month option if you sub for the entire year.

Yeah, me and the wife also got moviepass recently. It's fucking amazing. 7 bucks a month when you pay a month at a time is cheaper than a single matinee ticket here, so yeah, I don't understand how they can afford it, but I don't care.

Best part is my local cinemas have started doing a "old movie Wednesday" and so we've gotten to see things like Casablanca and Blazing Saddles and Clue and Ghostbusters (the original) on the big screen recently as well as all the new ones. Just saw Ragnarok last night and holy crap that was awesome.
    Also known as Grant...

Steam: Search for DragonDai
    Origins: Search for Uranusthebeatpoet@live.com