View Poll Results: Would you have a drink with them? (the results have no bearing on whether they get in or not)

0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: App: WarKittens - FFVIC, WoW (4/0)

Its been a week since WarKitten actually posted here, you might consider reminding her about the application the next time you see her in game. That being said what is it about FFVIC that you like? I've tried to play it once upon a time but didn't go past my 30 day trial. Is it worth a re-visit?

Interested in Star Citizen? Use my Referral Code and earn 5000 UEC!

Quote Originally Posted by Harplager View Post
    A few things.

1. Give us sweet, sweet secrets about Zandar. The more embarrassing, the better.

2. I wouldn't be here if there was bigotry. This is actually a very positive island in the sea of toxic gaming commentary that exists. This app process helps filter 90% of the drama and hate. Now this isn't Care Bear Forest, we understand that not everyone will get along all the time - but we are a collection of adults that can deal with the disagreements without spiraling into drama.

3. Since you're dabbling in both: I think FFXIV is better than WoW. That being said, I have 10 years of history in WoW that draws me back more frequently than FFXIV.

4. Question for you - What is your favorite book, and why?
    Favorite book is completely impossible unfortunately. Give me a genre and I can give it to you, maybe. I am not well read, I'll admit that. I'm pretty much solidly sci-fi, spec fic, but a tiny bit fantasy.

I guess one of my favorite is Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky. Why? Even though it lacks a long in-depth world building, it's not a long book, there's so many hints about the world that I want more. To me that's an exceptionally written book.

Lately I haven't been reading anything commercial, I have a large amount of friends that write.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughinJack View Post
    Its been a week since WarKitten actually posted here, you might consider reminding her about the application the next time you see her in game. That being said what is it about FFVIC that you like? I've tried to play it once upon a time but didn't go past my 30 day trial. Is it worth a re-visit?
    I'll give you guys the gory details of this last year as an explanation of why I haven't replied much.

In June, my spouse of 7 years passed. It has been absolutely the most painful, difficult thing I've ever been through — and I've been through a lot. This past week or so my brain has rebelled against me and I've been kind of useless. A lot of weeping, a lot of trying to deal with it. Scott was the only person I knew here in Minneapolis so I'm essentially 100% alone and I've not been doing well. I apologize for not getting back to you. I don't do well at peoole when I'm in that state. It is what it is, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by rhal View Post
    Hi Kittenschlager, welcome to the U's app journey. Hope you're enjoying your FF14 time thus far. We've only chatted briefly a few times in-game, but for my part I'm no misanthrope, just busy with a job search and fighting existential dread.

My first online experience was Rogue on a VAX/VMS system at the college my mom worked at. Later ran my own BBS (1 available connection at a time!) to host LORD, which some U members still play here through the forums! That is all to say that Ave, Zandar and I aren't the only ones near your age and generation In undergrad, I imped for some popular MUD that I can't remember anymore, and just typing this stuff makes me a little regretful I didn't pivot careers into game design/tech directing or scenario work. Que sera sera.

My wife works for the local police crime lab and we're friends with a lot of morgue and university lab employees. All wonderful people. As it turns out, I was just at the lab a week ago to drop off a sample of green goo from my wife's sinuses, and guess what? MRSA! We have fun here.

In Warcraft, favorite minion? Hint: White Kitten.

In FF14, there are also some awesome minions (Gaelikitten comes to mind). Are you a miqote punchfist? Later on in the Monk questline (which I'm just now doing myself), there are two suncat punchfisters that are pretty awesome.

We all know about Zandar's culinary peccadilloes, are you also a cooking person?

(Finally, others have already boasted about our strictly tolerant community and as a cis bi guy, I can say no one here has ever made me uncomfortable in matters of sex or gender. As it happens, we have some fun, positive conversations in Slack about all sorts of related issues, although I'm sure I've been guilty of inadvertently crossing lines because it happens. We're all respectful of each other, or we tend to take action if we find someone not living up to our standards.)
    Cooking: Eh, I CAN cook and cook well, but I don't. Cooking for one is just a pain in the ass.

Warcraft minion: Widget the Departed which is a ghost cat is pretty rad. Though I tend to run around with a crab with my hunter so I've got a matching pair.

FFXIV is... Interesting? It seems so quiet even though it's not compared to my WoW server. I'm enjoying it but I get really frustrated with kill X or fetch Y missions and we all know that's how everything starts, so it's just newbie rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by rhal View Post
    Cis = short for "cisgender" as opposed to "transgender" or other similar terms
    Bi = short for bisexual
    Guy = manly manly man man dude with 'tude
    The whole cis / trans thing bugs the shit out me ONLY BECAUSE a lot of my job is organic chemistry and cis and trans are chemistry terms. I just always imagine molecules. My gender weirdness has no real name other than I'm fine being a woman but my body isn't right. It's been like that since I've been a kid. Not sure what to make of it but I don't have any major dysphoria from it.

Nice to finally have met a bi man, they are exceedingly rare. My late spouse MOST DEFINITELY WAS bi but he absolutely wouldn't cop to it. I'll tell youse guys stories at some point.

I love to cook! Best part is you get to eat while doing it. Snacks

Omaha, NE
    Quote Originally Posted by WarKittens View Post
    I'll give you guys the gory details ... here in Minneapolis so I'm essentially 100% alone and I've not been doing well.
    Very sorry for your loss.

We have a small legion in the greater Minneapolis area and while I'm no longer there I have a fairly large network of contacts still after 30+ years living & growing up there - any particular places you're looking for work, or specific job titles/etc? You can send me a private message & I'd be happy to pass on resume/contact info if I know folks that could help out.

On the personal side, lots of amazing Unrepentant folks within spittin' distance, most of whom enjoy fine adult beverages and related social outings. That plus being an applicant might be a good "get to know you" post in the Thirsty Troll Tavern public forum - new thread there asking for hot spots in Minneapolis, good places to snack, etc. will get you a few more folks who don't always patrol the applicant forum!
    GW2: rhael.6317
    Steam: lundmusic

I hung out in Mumble while they (Ave/Z/Mav/Kittens) did the first two story dungeons and went along for the third, and had fun the entire time.

She's funny and easygoing and punches things good while keeping up an interesting conversation.

We also got a targeting macro working, and I learned a thing!

All in all it was a good time.

And I also like how she's kept up with the app even with being unable to log into the game until recently (phone authenticator issue right after she bought the game).

Redname vote yes, go!

(spoilers: Rednames aren't one of the deciding votes)

Although I don't play FF, I barge in those channels in Mumble anyway Ty for letting me hang out albeit short. Kittens fits in here.

Fort Myers, FL
    Sounds like you've won over a number of people. I'll add a YES to the pile.
    Mutiny - Is it okay if I call you the artist former known as D.R., Mr. Fuentes?
    Death_Rictus - Except that would require me to be an artist... and I'm not that by even the loosest of definitions.
    Mutiny - No, you are. Your canvas is polygonal artificial intelligence-controlled cops and your paint is their blood.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast