View Poll Results: Would you have a drink with them? (the results have no bearing on whether they get in or not)

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: App: WarKittens - FFVIC, WoW (4/0)

Membership Application
    Are you over 18? (You must be 18+ to apply.)
    Yes

What are some games you plan on playing with us?
    FFVIC, WoW

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with?
    FFVIX: Kettlingar, I'd make a new WoW Char

Do you have friends or family in the Unrepentant community? If so what is their forum name?
    Zandar1

So... let's talk! What follows are a bunch of questions that give us a sense of your personality, and give us something to talk about. If your answers are boring or short, we’ll assume you’re boring (and probably short).

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
    I was walking back to my desk when I was working as a tech lead on a very large helpdesk. In fact Zandar worked there too. Anyhow, walking back I had to step down two stairs to walk down to the floor with all our analysts. I know people were watching. I tripped and took a header down these two stairs in front of 50 or so people. When I got up I had a gigantic swath of rugburn on my FOREHEAD. Yeah. Not my greatest.

I've replicated this feat on a flat floor in my favorite Vietnamese restaurant. It was busy, every table was full. I ended up with rugburn on my back of my hand that scarred and an ankle and a knee that turned black. I've never had a sprain / bruise that bad. The entire restaurant went silent. It was... Excellent.

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
    I'm not working at the moment but for all intents and purposes I am a clinical lab scientist. I am the one that takes your blood and body fluids and analyzes them for diagnosis, monitoring, etc. I love it. Why is it the best? It's science. Every patient sample is a puzzle that we have to solve. I have a ridiculous amount of medical knowledge related to diagnosis and I have made pretty good use of it getting my friends into treatment / the doctor. Heck I helped some guy on Reddit diagnose his bowel obstruction. I am not one to freewheel with diagnosis, BUT if I see someone being dumb I'm going to try and get them to take care of themselves.

Worst? Working for my dad in our family restaurant... When I was 8 years old until about 14.

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
    Skyrim, it's pretty close to the perfect first person RPG. So much to do!
    Katamari Damacy, it's zany and challenging. If you get out of practice it's like a whole new game.
    Borderlands 2, best RPG/FPS out there. The story is amazing and fun.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
    A friend of a bunch of my friends. He acted like any woman didn't exist. We obviously had no idea at all what he was talking about when he talked about D&D, Warhammer 40k, War Machine, etc, etc. It was so frustrating because uh, the reason most of us were friends was because of gaming. When we WOULD interject something smart / accurate about a game or whatever he would just get confused and then ignore what we said. Unfortunately, he was a friend of theirs from high school and they were very loyal.

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
    I've had some kind of computer or game system since about 1978. I do not remember not gaming or computing. I've been on what passes for the internet since the days of GEnie (General Electric's BBS system!) and CompuServe. That's like, forever! It's more than even most people my age. I remember dreaming about having portable everything. Being able to check BBSes on the go [snortlaugh]. Look what we have now! I think that's pretty cool. Also I had a gigantic brick cell phone in High School. I was that kid.

Also I was one of the very first mods of the AskScience subreddit on Reddit. Default subreddit, millions of users. I am no longer active but I'm proud of what we built.

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
    Because Zandar is a VERY close friend, I've known him for over [mumble]20[mumble] years. He finally convinced me to try FFVIX and I'm hooked. I met some of your guild yesterday and they were absolutely DELIGHTFUL.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
    This is the worst question on interviews ever even though I asked it in every interview I've had to give. Here's a good one: How do you feel about bigotry? Do you think jokes about trans people are funny? I myself am a little gender weird. I consider myself non-binary instead of female even though I still go by she/her. Is that something that is going to cause issues? My last guild on WoW called trans people 'it' and my friend and I left immediately.

Almost done!

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
    It's cliche but it's a kitten. My username everywhere is WarKittens, Kettlingar means kittens in Icelandic, so I gotta have a kitten

Quote Originally Posted by WarKittens
    Because Zandar is a VERY close friend, I've known him for over [mumble]20[mumble] years. He finally convinced me to try FFVIX and I'm hooked. I met some of your guild yesterday and they were absolutely DELIGHTFUL.
    I cannot tell you how happy I am that you decided to give us a chance. I've been with the U for eight years and Kit is like the first RL friend I have that I thought would fit in with my family here.

And yeah, she knows all my DARK SECRETS, like how I tend to main tank/healer/defense, like cooking (in-game and out), and may be a giant IT nerd.

I knew her before we both worked at that help desk too, and that was back during the dot com days. Man, you guys have no clue.

MUDs, guys. MUDs.

Quote Originally Posted by WarKittens
    This is the worst question on interviews ever even though I asked it in every interview I've had to give. Here's a good one: How do you feel about bigotry? Do you think jokes about trans people are funny? I myself am a little gender weird. I consider myself non-binary instead of female even though I still go by she/her. Is that something that is going to cause issues? My last guild on WoW called trans people 'it' and my friend and I left immediately.
    I wouldn't be here if that "caused issues". We have a code of personal responsibility and respect in the Unrepentant charter, and we have all kinds of folks here from six continents and dozens of countries. We don't always agree on everything, but when we don't, we hash it out like adults. Personal attacks and bigotry aren't tolerated and we have multiple checks in place to ensure that. It's worked in practice as well as on paper and the number one method of clearing that out is the application process. Go read some of the rejected apps, that's advice I'd give any applicant, not just the ones I've known for two decades OMG HAS IT BEEN THAT LONG DEAR GOD. They're not accepted for a reason (and some are outright hysterical in their crash and burn factor).

Seriously, the U is good people. Even Ave.

So we'll keep the conversation going. What do you like about FFXIV?
    CO: @ZandarTheWeeble
    FF XIV: Zandar Casseline on Siren
    WS: Zandar on Caretaker
    Origin: Zandar1

Manderville, Manderville, Manderville man.

Met her last night, I already approve.

And we've got several members at various points on the LGBT spectrum. We take respecting each other and being classy quite seriously, that's about the only thing besides the app process we do take seriously.

I second Zandar's suggestion to go read some of the rejected/accepted apps. Some are funny, some are sad, some are just great.

I mean I know you pretty well Kett but these guys don’t, heh. How many kitties do you have now?

Hmmmmm....secret Zandar secrets......this is a win/win. I'm not on as much as I used to be but hopefully we'll get to romp around with you sometime soon. As for your trans question/jokes, we have everything from furries to treeluvers in the U and jokes are takin' seriously, as in nobody likes em and nobody wants to hear bigoted remarks (one of the quickest ways outa of the U). I do refer to Zandar as "it" sometimes, but only in reference to the stephen king novel (also he wuvs me).

So what class/'s are you startin' out with and enjoyin so far? Derpoon(lancer) should be your first pick.

Welcome to the App process,
    ~Ave
    I pirouette in the dark.

Currently I am playing pugilist because I love to punch things in the face. It's therapeutic. Still in the early stages of FFXIV, so pretty much doing fetch and beat things up quests.

As for WoW I have pretty much anything that can tank. I think you can sense a theme here.

I'm enjoying FFXIV a lot, it's pretty sedate compared to WoW. I plan on still playing both because they're so different from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Zandar1 View Post
    I mean I know you pretty well Kett but these guys don’t, heh. How many kitties do you have now?
    I have three currently. They are all terrible beasts that rule the household. They miss having two humans around but they're gonna have to learn to deal with it. I have exactly zero photos of them on this laptop as it is brand new and I do nearly 100% of my social media stuff on my Android devices. I'll mail some to myself soon.

A few things.

1. Give us sweet, sweet secrets about Zandar. The more embarrassing, the better.

2. I wouldn't be here if there was bigotry. This is actually a very positive island in the sea of toxic gaming commentary that exists. This app process helps filter 90% of the drama and hate. Now this isn't Care Bear Forest, we understand that not everyone will get along all the time - but we are a collection of adults that can deal with the disagreements without spiraling into drama.

3. Since you're dabbling in both: I think FFXIV is better than WoW. That being said, I have 10 years of history in WoW that draws me back more frequently than FFXIV.

4. Question for you - What is your favorite book, and why?
    We are the people our parents warned us about - Foulsoul
    My Original App.

How to link pictures in the Unrepentant forum.

Quote Originally Posted by WarKittens View Post
    I have three currently. They are all terrible beasts that rule the household. They miss having two humans around but they're gonna have to learn to deal with it. I have exactly zero photos of them on this laptop as it is brand new and I do nearly 100% of my social media stuff on my Android devices. I'll mail some to myself soon.
    i miss Quinn. Quinn was the best cat becuase he ate frozen green beans and olives.

Yay we got Kittens in Mumble!

Ave didn’t scare her off either. You’re slipping, Ave.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast