View Poll Results: Would you have a drink with them? (the results have no bearing on whether they get in or not)

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: App: Valeris - Neverwinter; maybe ESO (4/0)

Membership Application
    Are you over 18? (You must be 18+ to apply.)
    Yes

What are some games you plan on playing with us?
    Neverwinter; maybe ESO

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with?
    Valeris@pbau3993

Do you have friends or family in the Unrepentant community? If so what is their forum name?
    Nope

So... let's talk! What follows are a bunch of questions that give us a sense of your personality, and give us something to talk about. If your answers are boring or short, we’ll assume you’re boring (and probably short).

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
    One summer I was working for a senator on Capitol Hill. One of the big no-nos for Hill staffers is to get onto an elevator with a senator (yes we had to memorize the faces of all of them). I was coming back from a conference bringing a bunch of binders back to our office, which were stacked up high enough that I couldn't see well over the top of them. The elevator came to the floor I was on, and I got on. Turning to my left, I realized there was a senator standing right next to me. I made to get off the elevator, but the senator told me I could stay. I then completely blanked on the senator's name and had to ask him as part of awkward elevator small talk on the way down on the elevator.

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
    Well, I'm still a student so I haven't been outside the realm of internships yet, but this past summer was a lot of fun. I was working for a law firm in NYC. The firm took us to a ton of great events like concerts, cooking classes, and beer tastings (cause nothing says fun like drinking beers with the head of your office). Haven't had any terrible jobs yet (thankfully), though the dullest summer outside of my work was when I spent a summer researching in rural Iowa. Not a lot there but corn, more corn, and a Walmart.

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
    Mass Effect (the original trilogy)
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
    The most annoying person I have met was an undergraduate student in a graduate course I was taking (I'm getting a J.D.-M.A. in legal history). We were discussing a topic that my master's thesis is related to, so I was pretty familiar with the subject. This guy acted like he knew way more about the topic than I did. When I asked him some pointed questions about the subject, though, it was pretty clear that he was just pretending like he knew what he was talking about. I know to admit when I don't know something, so the fact that he tried to pretend he knew more about a subject that I've spent two years researching really ticked me off.

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
    I spent 6 months in New Zealand, and while I was there, I visited the set of Hobbiton, where I got to stand in front of Bilbo Baggins' house. I also got to see them making swords for the Hobbit movies at the Weta Workshop.

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
    I have been dabbling in Neverwinter and ESO over the past few months. With all my schoolwork, it's pretty difficult to find time to play lots of games. Single player games are often too long for me to play with my limited free time, so during the school year I tend to play a lot of MMOs. Since I like story content the most, I tend to dabble between games once I finish all the story content in one MMO and hit the grind. The small fleet I run in Star Trek Online and the small guild I belong to in WoW are game-specific. I am hoping to find a casual community that I can keep playing with even if I jump from one game to the next.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
    What sort of help do you offer new players? I just started and know next to nothing about what to do besides leveling via missions.

Do you have any activity policies? Do they run cross-game or are they game-specific?

Do you allow gaming with your members in other games if I am a member of another fleet/guild in that game?

Almost done!

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
    The cliche answer would be a sword. But for me, the wise old man would have an Istari's staff, because Grima Wormtongue told me to take the wizard's staff (if you pick me, you'll probably have to put up with a lot of geeky jokes).

Hi Valeris,

Welcome to the application process! Good start so far. I'm a Neverwinter player as well. If you haven't done so already, you should join our in game custom chat channel by typing /channel_join Uey. After you join the channel, introduce yourself to everyone as a new applicant and request a guild invite. Be sure to put your forum name in the member comments section of the guild roster, so that we know who you are and you don't get accidently booted. Also, you don't want to miss out on those guild boons, so don't forget to activate those. In Neverwinter, we have players with varying degrees of game experience and usually folks are happy to help fellow guildies if you ask. In Neverwinter, our guild is also part of an alliance with a number of other guilds that are often happy to help as well. We do not have any activity policies in any of the games we play. To us, real life comes first. Lastly, you don't have to join us in every game you play. If you already have guilds in certain games, that's cool. We don't expect you to leave them, and we don't have any rules on who our members can and can not play with. So there's no rule preventing you from grouping in that game with a fellow Uey and a member of your other guild. We really don't take ourselves that seriously. We're supposed to be having fun, after all.

Despite our general lack of seriousness, we do take the application seriously. We want to make sure that you're the right fit for us and we're the right fit for you. Not everyone in the community will be playing the same games you are, so the application process is the only way that the community, as a whole, can get to know you. For that reason, we'll want you to remain active here in your app, even if you are being active in game. The people with gold, green and purple names will be the ones voting on your app. You need 4 yes votes to get accepted, but only 3 no votes for a rejection. Once you get accepted, you don't have to come back to the forums again if you don't want to, but we certainly hope you will

Iowa, huh? I had to go to Des Moines once for a deposition. I had never been cow-tipping prior to that.
    Last edited by Learnedhand; 09-06-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Oh yea, and you should get yourself an avatar; otherwise, people are gonna start to bust your chops.

Thanks for the helpful advice! Took me a while to find the avatar selection screen, but I got there eventually. It also seems that you have found the favorite past time of Iowa lawyers (just kidding). I must say I am a fan of the name, so have a picture of Learned Hand jumping.

Quote Originally Posted by Valeris View Post
    Thanks for the helpful advice! Took me a while to find the avatar selection screen, but I got there eventually. It also seems that you have found the favorite past time of Iowa lawyers (just kidding). I must say I am a fan of the name, so have a picture of Learned Hand jumping.
    Love it! I went with Learned Hand because Karl Llewellyn didn't quite have the same ring to it.
    Last edited by Learnedhand; 09-07-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Hey Valeris,

Have you gotten a guild invite yet? Have you been able to catch up to any of us in game, or on Mumble/Discord?

Thanks for checking in. I did get a guild invite about a week ago. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to catch up with anyone. My weekdays tend to be pretty hectic with law school. This week, though, disaster struck. My laptop died an hour before I was scheduled to take the New York Law Exam taking the exam, my class notes, and all of my games with it. I got a tablet this morning just to be able to do schoolwork, and I decided to replace the laptop with a desktop, which is coming in the mail next week. Hopefully, I'll be able to get back into the game sometime next week once the data from my hard drive gets restored.

Ouch. That sucks. When I was in law school, laptops in class were the exception rather than the rule. Instead we had to worry about keeping track of all of our class notebooks. To cheer you up, here is a picture of a t-shirt I found cleaning out my closet that you might appreciate:

http://imgur.com/czEaIgJ

Oh that brings some memories of property back. I just found my softball jersey from 1L. Team Name: Legal Es

Quote Originally Posted by Valeris View Post
    The most annoying person I have met was an undergraduate student in a graduate course I was taking (I'm getting a J.D.-M.A. in legal history). We were discussing a topic that my master's thesis is related to, so I was pretty familiar with the subject. This guy acted like he knew way more about the topic than I did. When I asked him some pointed questions about the subject, though, it was pretty clear that he was just pretending like he knew what he was talking about. I know to admit when I don't know something, so the fact that he tried to pretend he knew more about a subject that I've spent two years researching really ticked me off.
    As we discussed in chat, I know the type, and it is frustrating. I don't want to wander too far into boring IRL stuff, but what is the coolest/most interesting (from a lay perspective) case you've studied? I know there are a ton of weird stories out there, on the books...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast