Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Forged in Fire...anyone watching this?

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds huntgod's Avatar

Forged in Fire...anyone watching this?

Was flipping past History channel and paused, as they weren't doing something on Nazi's or Aliens...

It's a reality competition between bladesmiths...not super in depth, so if you wan't to know the nitty gritty it's not for you, but if, like me, you are kind of a generalist and just appreciate the broad strokes for how some things are done, it's pretty interesting.

Each episode 4 guys are rounded up, each given some oddball hunk of metal and then given 6 hrs to turn it into a functional blade, which they test, the two winners are then given 5 days to produce a specific weapon.

Really fun to watch and interesting to see some of the different techniques and how they transform some odd stuff into a working billet.

The finished products for the final competition are pretty neat, they've done: Chakram, KAtar, Katana, Rapier, Crusader Sword, Viking Axe and Gladius.

If you find this kind of stuff interesting, it's worth checking out.

"I'd rather watch a man masturbate than watch Cricket..." - HuntGod

Blog Entries
    Isn't that the show where those guys make the swords from movies and video games?
    TMcMahon.5014 - GW2
    CooteKT#1743 - BNet
    @TMc51 - STO

They say that life's a carousel spinning fast, you've got to ride it well
    The world is full of Kings and Queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams
    And they'll tell you black is really white, that the moon is just the sun at night
    And when you walk in golden halls you get to keep the gold that falls
    It's Heaven and Hell, oh no!

The show that you are thinking of that has known blacksmiths making game and movies weapons is a series on YouTube called "Man at Arms". They have used 2 different blacksmith groups so far.

This show on History is like one of those cooking competition shows. It is speed smithing for a cash prize. They get 4 blacksmiths from varying skill levels (I've seen 2 years to 20 years), and they have a few hours to compete. If your knife/blade is not finished or breaks, that person is automatically the loser for that round. The show goes like this:

1. They always start off with a few hours to make a knife, any style, specific length range, and sometimes other requirements. This part they just have to rush and make the full blade and tang.
    2. After inspection, 1 person is voted off by judges, then the other 3 have more time to fix any issues with the blade and create a handle.
    3. The blade is put through some exercise to test strength (chopping wood, or ice) and then someone else is voted off.
    4. The last 2 people get 5 days back at their own forges to create something specific for that episode. The finished item is tested and a winner is declared.

I usually watch this at night to go to sleep so I only got the end of 1 episode where they had to make a viking style axe. It is something I watch to pass time while waiting to do other tasks (as I do with most shows on History channel).

Yup what Brytallica said...

There are a few other shows out there that deal with making over top absurd weaponry, the thing I liked about this was that function was the main factor and building working blades was the goal, not game or movie props.

It is exactly like a cooking show, I am a Chopped/Cutthroat Kitchen addict...so it's that with steal and a smelting oven :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    Woohoo! I'm a special person now as well! Look out guysl... my penis is gonna be HUGE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    Meh. My hair looks dumb and I can't find sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by ironzerg View Post
    lol not quite the same thing

Haha...search fail, eh?

Well...but I guess...there it is.

Sir Jerky, Esq. of House Jerkington rhyzen's Avatar
    man. during this quarantine i've been watching all kinds of smithing videos. I love forged in fire. There is a local blacksmithing guild here in Maryland that I'm going to be linking up with in August for an intro course (once this whole coronavirus thing blows over).

Loved FiF it spurred on a friend to build a forge in his garden.
    This Will Cut, This Will Kill

I enjoy it as well...glad to see some other folks are fans.

I do have to admit that what I really enjoy is the testing and am always a little deflated when a weapon doesn't meet specifications and they don't test it.