Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Awesome Movies Thread!

Wink Awesome Movies Thread!

Ok so there are old movie threads, but not this one.

Give me your top couple movies that you absolutely loved. (I'm fishing for good movies to watch.. I'm a movie-aholic)

for me, If a movie can make me cry, actually get scared, haunt me for years, or cherish it, It's good.

1. Silent Hill
    I loved everything about this movie, sequel was not as good but still ok.
    Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai
    This movie actually made me hurt. like physically and mentally.
    3. Breathless
    this one is pretty brutal too.
    4. Valhalla Rising.
    Mads Mikkelsen didn't say a single word and it was still awesome. kind of slow movie confusing.
    5. The Hunt
    Infuriating movie. also Mads Mikkelsen

6. Age of Uprising: The Legend of Michael Kohlhaas
    more Mads Mikkelsen. I don't know if it is the directors or the acting that makes his movies so good.
    7. Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.
    My finga point^ I think this one is hilarious.
    8. Cast Away on the Moon
    This one is also very funny.

also any movie by Sushi Typhoon but those are the over the top crazy Japanese gorey WTF movies... These movies went above and beyond the level of insanity I could have ever imagined. Unless you want to experience that extreme insanity, I don't really recommend you watch them. my face hurt after watching every movie though.

That's my list for now I guess. I seriously doubt I will ever forget any of these movies.

Of course- Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Monty Python movies, and Princess Bride are the top ones for me.

Really looking forward to seeing you're awesome movies some day, hurry up and post them!

oh and I haven't found a movie yet that has actually made me scared so if you guys know one.. you know what to do.
    Last edited by MeowWilson; 11-16-2014 at 06:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MeowWilson View Post
    for me, If a movie can make me cry, actually get scared, haunt me for years, or cherish it, It's good.
    Cry, you say? All Dogs Go to Heaven, and Grave of the Fireflies are sure to do that.
    TMcMahon.5014 - GW2
    CooteKT#1743 - BNet
    @TMc51 - STO

They say that life's a carousel spinning fast, you've got to ride it well
    The world is full of Kings and Queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams
    And they'll tell you black is really white, that the moon is just the sun at night
    And when you walk in golden halls you get to keep the gold that falls
    It's Heaven and Hell, oh no!

no, sorry, those didn't make me cry =\ grave of fireflys is really sad though

Fucking Bridge to Terabithia. WTF!? Why even make that movie. Piece of shit film, I'm getting teary just thinking about it. Dammit.

Blog Entries
    no, sorry, those didn't make me cry =\ grave of fireflys is really sad though
    I'm sorry to break it to you, but you're not human.

Don't watch all of these in a row please. they are feel bad movies, just realized how absolutely depressing all but #8 and #9 are.

Another two I remembered.

Bedeviled.
    Movies is hard to watch. because you can't do anything about it.

The Road
    really good and it has Aragorn in it.

I've been told I am not human a few times. different story after a glass of whiskey though.
    Last edited by MeowWilson; 11-17-2014 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tefached View Post
    Cry, you say?

Seven Pounds

These are the first three movies that I think of:
    - Chinatown
    - Don't look now
    - Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

I also watched Interstellar last weekend and with some reservations I thought it was quite good.

Ah, and I also never cry at movies. Not human =(. Interestingly enough, books often manage to have a greater impact on me.

The Road
    really good and it has Aragorn in it.
    The Road is a terrible film, I brought that and Book of Eli (A vastly better film, by several orders of magnitude) at the same time. It got +1 gold star for using some other disaster than Nuclear war, and went with a soggy wet apocalypse. That however was immediately ripped off its chest and replaced by a stake due to shitty characters (what's with the wife?! Yeah I make jokes about "Female Logic", but she takes it new levels!) and a main plot point that makes no sense! Namely the bit about starvation. The world is a wet soggy place, where ever you look in that film there's greenery. Ergo plants are doing well... and yet the world is starving to the extent that Cannibalism is the norm.

However some good films that I like, in no particular order:
    1: Dead poets society
    2: Gattaca
    3: Them! (yes its a B-moive, but its a bloody well done one, possibly one of the best)
    4: Godzila (1954)

I'd also sugest a little known Robin Williams film for being a really odd watch. Its not a great film, but it messes with your head: Jacob the Liar.
    First you have Robin Williams and you think comedian... well not in this film. He plays a Jew in the Warsaw Ghetto. And it all adds to a sense of strangeness as you're expecting him to start being funny, but he never is. So through out the film you're thinking "Wait.. was that a joke? Should I laugh now? Or will I look like a right cock?"

As we're talking films, the following is an oddity it should have been a great film...
    Spoiler:

The Speilberg 2005 War of the Worlds. Now I love War of the Worlds, in all its forms. I can practically read the book page by page in my head. Now in the film there are a Several scenes that catch the feel of the book perfectly. And on their own are brilliant. However somehow the Sum of its parts is shittier than it should have any right being. I've no way of explaining that.

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds huntgod's Avatar
    Highlander
    They Live
    5th Element
    Groundhog Day

I will watch those and stop on them anytime they are on...

Before I had kids nothing made me cry, no pretty much anything that tugs the parental heart strings will get the waterworks going. Deep Impact is particularly wrenching to me as a parent.

"I'd rather watch a man masturbate than watch Cricket..." - HuntGod