Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Broken forum stuff we need Foul/a web admin to fix

I am the Waffleman. Goo goo gajoob. Dao Jones's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to start a list here, and then poke Foul with a sharp pointy stick (but not SharpPointyStick) until it gets fixed, because it's driving us all nuts, someone needs to get our forums working properly again, and that someone ain't me.

Please post if you can think of anything else, and I'll add it in here.

Foul's Fix-It List

1. Blank edit box when you reply to or edit threads (High)
    2. Random pictures attaching to replies (Low)
    3. Logout timer when you haven't clicked "remember me" (Medium) - should be set to 30 min now, let me know if that is too short or causes problems
    4. Character limit in posts (Low) - was 10000 is now 100000. thats 10x as much, hope it doesnt break
    Last edited by foulsoul; 08-09-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Sure you don't want me to "poke" him? I'll happily provide my "services" if needed...

Unrepentant's Andy Griffith Mutiny's Avatar
    This is a good start. However, I see this:

Quote Originally Posted by Dao Jones View Post
    1. Blank edit box when you reply to or edit threads (High)
    When I reply to a thread, I'm pretty sure I should be starting with no text, and I think the quote feature is working fine, right?

Cowering behind a DM screen looking shifty...
    Blog Entries
    these issues can only be resolved by human/panda sacrifice over the server...
    I don't really blog any more but you can follow my painting on instagram...
    https://www.instagram.com/williamsond956/?hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by Mutiny View Post
    This is a good start. However, I see this:

When I reply to a thread, I'm pretty sure I should be starting with no text, and I think the quote feature is working fine, right?
    Yeah.. I think a more accurate description of the problem is: "when previewing a drafted post, or editing an existing post".

The "Reply with Quote" feature does seem to always work. Meaning, if I try to edit my existing post and it shows up with a blank box, if I instead "reply with quote", my post magically appears within the QUOTE tags, and I can copy/paste into a notepad from there, go back and edit my post.

Blog Entries
    not the solution, or at least not when i tried it, but this could be pointing us in the right direction.

Originally Posted by Thunderbird Looking at the CKEditor site, it appears that a change in the default encoding of htmlspecialchars() (from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8) causes the editor to throw a blank box in some instances. Peachy.

I fixed it on my board by the following change to /vb/ckeditor.php

Line 507:
    htmlspecialchars($value)

Changed to

htmlspecialchars($value, ENT_COMPAT | ENT_HTML401, "ISO-8859-1")
    or it could be this: Did your host just upgrade your server to PHP5.4? If so, tell them to go back to PHP5.3 or tell them to put you on a server running PHP5.3. vB4 is currently not compatible with PHP5.4
    Last edited by foulsoul; 08-09-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    One who commands must, of necessity, be wildly imperfect, boldly pragmatic, capable of compromises impossible for the truly wise and the truly good.

Blog Entries
    session time out should have been 15 min, it is now set to 30 min. having everyone stay on for longer periods of time will drag down the system in some way. so keep that in mind. I have just doubled it to 30 min so we will see if that helps.

Unrepentant's Andy Griffith Mutiny's Avatar
    That should be fine, Foul. While entirely possible for thoughtful folks to spend more than fifteen minutes filling out an application, thirty minutes should be plenty. Thank you.

So the empty text box bug is possibly an errant character each time we see it, supported by ISOblablablah but not UTF or vice versa?
    GW2: rhael.6317
    Steam: lundmusic
    Twitch: twitch.tv/lundjames
    Twitter: twitter.com/lundjames

Blog Entries
    it definitely showed up as soon as we moved. sykotix had some issue i dont understand migrating the database over so I always assumed if i some how fixed that (or ran all the little database doohickys) that it might resolve. but after reading that I wonder if we have a different non compatible version of php that we are trying to run vbulletin on.

what i'm really shocked about is the fact that we, you know paid for this shit, and they cant be arsed to keep vbulletin up to date with things and stuff.

(or perhaps we should you know upgrade vbulletin before i eat more crow)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast