Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ... actual praise for the TSA.

... actual praise for the TSA.

I vomited three times before finishing the typing of that subject line. However ...

I'm flying to San Antonio this afternoon for a conference. I zip in, run up to check my bag (with 7 ipads inside!) and realize something truly dreadful.

Here I am at an airport with no photo ID.

My license expired a few days ago and I put the clipped one in my "records" file without remembering that I had to fly today.

The TSA actually screened me without photo ID and were tremendously pleasant and professional. I had to get patted down and my stuff swabbed, but I was beyond surprised that they were polite and helpful. The dude kept saying "we'll get ya up and going ASAP so you can catch your flight" too.

I've got a pretty strong libertarian streak when it comes to travel, privacy, etc. and it was bizarre and gratifying that I was allowed onto a plane post-9/11 without photo ID.

I do not expect the same treatment in San Antonio, so I'm having my driver's license overnighted.
    Steam: lundmusic
    Twitch: twitch.tv/lundjames
    Twitter: twitter.com/lundjames
    Discord: Rhaelses#9353

Blog Entries
    Lucky you. Everybody who has flown post 9/11 likely has a horror story or two with the TSA.

I've only ever been treated like an actual human being by TSA while flying in or out of Hancock International. I had my ID stolen while at the airport in Jacksonville, and TSA there grabbed me, and forcefully lead me into a side room where they interrogated me for a couple hours. I nearly missed my flight to DC.

You are dead to me, Rhal. Dead.

Seriously, good on the the guys there. The people on the ground make all the difference and it seems like you got some good apples. Hopefully they'll get a raise and not be fired unlike the agents in Tefached's case who need to be flogged
    The only path to where you are is the one you took.

I hear if you have a Costco ID they'll let you fly with that too.

I can't call that praise for the TSA, but extend it to the individuals involved, or the good apples.

In the words of Carlin, "As far as I'm concerned all this airport security, the searches, the cameras, the screenings, the questions, its just one more way of reducing your liberty and reminding you that they can fuck with you whenever they want."

Seriously, if all the pat downs and perv scanners can't stop a guy with a bomb in his underwear or shoes....especially if the G-men have warning from a father......

Libertarian

Quote Originally Posted by slayerboy View Post
    I hear if you have a Costco ID they'll let you fly with that too.
    Reminds me of my own experience.

Many moons ago, I lost my id between getting past security and onto the airplane. (Likely it got flushed down the toilet at Dulles.) I made sure that I would be able to return to Dulles without an id before I actually left.

So there I am at O'Hare, having arrived several hours before my scheduled departure and expecting to be pat down and searched. The guy though asked me if I had anything with my picture on it. I gave him my Sam's Club card. He then asked if I had a credit card to verify my name. I was so nervous I gave him my golf club membership card. It worked, and all it took was three minutes of being nice.

Of course, I also don't look like a terrorist. I'm a very plain looking white American.

I've had my fair share of good and bad TSA agents throughout my travels. Sadly, I've had too many bad experiences that I try to avoid flying. Also, that experience of flying without proper ID in a post-9/11 world kinda scared me. Knowing for certain that they let people like Rhal fly without ID, yep, I'll just drive.
    Just another Dullard

I hate O'Hare. With a passion.

Me and 2 of my cousins were on our way to Florida through O'Hare. Our plane got delayed in O'Hare twice. I needed a smoke, and we all wanted coffee. The smoke I was willing to forgo, but we asked a TSA guard where the nearest place to get coffee was. He pointed to the Starbucks right outside of the secured area. It was about 10:55PM, our plane was going to be ready at 11:50PM. We asked the TSA dude if we walked out to get coffee if we would be able to get back in. He said yes.

So we all get our coffee, I get my nicotine fix.

We walk back in and all the security lines are closed. The airport closed at 11PM and it's 11:10PM. We go up to the VERY SAME TSA GUARD and he says we have to walk to the other side of the building to find a security gate that was open. So, two relatively in shape guys and my fat ass run halfway around O'Hare trying to find a gate open. We get to the employee gate and get interrogated for a few minutes and thankfully did not get strip-searched.

It's 11:30 by now, plane leaves at 20 minutes. We are on the other side of O'Hare.

I don't think any of us ran like we did that night. One of my cousin (the older one oddly) was quicker than us, gets up to the boarding gate. "FUCK!" is all I hear. Me and my other cousin both scream "What?".

The plane was leaving the gate 15 minutes early and we spent the night in O'Hare. We ended up having to fly to Newark and then down to Florida. My uncle drove down from Rochester to Daytona in about 23 hours. We took 24 hours to fly down.

I am the Waffleman. Goo goo gajoob. Dao Jones's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The reality of flight nowadays is akin to the Boy Scout motto: "we hate gay people" "be prepared". Don't arrive late, don't step out of the security area once you're in, pack your bags in a way that allows you to quickly pull stuff out for inspection, know ahead of time how long the security lines are likely to be (or fly economy plus, business, or first class to be able to avoid them), and pay attention to your stuff: your bags, your ticket, your ID. Losing your ID is on you, and if TSA hassles you for it it's YOUR fault, not theirs. Their job isn't to "cut you a break" - it's to be anally-retentive rules lawyers, because their job is to do their job, not yours.

The TSA is largely like any other government agency: full of lazy, minimum effort low skilled individuals who are just there to cash a paycheck. It's one step above the McDonalds drive-thru, except their job also involves dealing with thousands of people every day whose lives they inevitably inconvenience. So while they aren't very competent at what they do, they also do something that is pretty thankless.

You know who I hate far, far worse than the TSA? My fellow air travelers. Every time some dumbass gets *right* to the front of the baggage scanner, only to *then* remember he has a belt on, his shoes on, and all of his toiletries still in his bag... every time someone with eight items of luggage incompetently struggles to get it all through the line on their own... every time EVERY SINGLE FUCKING PERSON, EVER gets *right* to the other side of the security line, waits for the millisecond their bags come out of the scanner, and then stands in place and fully dresses right there, thus blocking everyone else from getting their items, and slowing up the entire line because they're too fucking lazy to walk five steps to the nearby benches placed for the specific purpose of helping you get your shit together... yeah. That makes me far angrier than the TSA person who wants me to confirm that the "wiring" in my backpack is a pair of iPhone earbuds.

I want a special line for people who aren't morons. They tried it for a while at LAX, but stopped doing it because *everyone* thinks they're not morons. No, I want a special badge I can carry that, when scanned, reads "this guy can go from standing in line to ready to get scanned in 15 seconds, because he's not a complete idiot". And then I want special privileges, so that I can flip the double bird at that 76 year-old man who apparently have never seen an airplane before today, as I breeze through security and get myself a coffee and copy of Time magazine for the flight.

I think the fact that the TSA behaving in a courteous and professional manner on a single occasion is enough to warrant a forum thread tells us everything we need to know about the agency.

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds huntgod's Avatar
    The TSA not being douchebags ONCE is the equivalent to the Klansman who forgets himself and helps an old lady across the street, yeah he did something nice, but he's still a huge douchebag.

"I'd rather watch a man masturbate than watch Cricket..." - HuntGod