Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds huntgod's Avatar
    I know there was a thread like this, but I couldn't dig it out of the pile...

I'm about 200 pages into Neil Stephenson's new novel REAMDE and it is awesome.

The main character is based loosely on Richard Garriott (Lord British of Ultima) and the background is hsi company which has basically married Bitcoin to an MMO and created this ridiculous gold farmers dream of a game. Enter a new virus that basically encrypts your HD and holds it for ransom unless you pay 1000g of in game currency (about $73.00 real world) and the russian mafia and you get a really cool novel.

I am a big fan of his (Snowcrash, Diamond Age, Cryptonomicrom, Baroque Cycle Trilogy, Anathem) and his books are all on my favorite lists.

Definitely worth checking out.

"I'd rather watch a man masturbate than watch Cricket..." - HuntGod

Blog Entries
    I'm finally getting around to checking out Brandon Sanderson and Scott Lynch. Finished the second book of Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series last week, and am drying to get my hands on a third. I'm almost done with the first book in Sanderson's Mistborn books, and so far so good.
    Look, I'm not saying elf chicks are sluts, but you never see any half dwarves or half gnomes, do you?

I'm on Fires of Heaven (book 5) in my Wheel of Time pre-A Memory of Light re-read. That book series has consumed my life for about 5 years. I'm not sure what I'll do what it's over...

I just got done with the Old Man's War Trilogy by John Scalzi. If you like Sci Fi war books, it is pretty good.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." - Ernest Hemingway

Parts Unknown (where the Ultimate Warrior is from)
    I've been stuck on Rousseau's Emile for a few months. Mainly gaming or reading comic books instead of this book. I really liked his confessions and Julie but man this one is not that much fun to read. However there is something amusing about just how horrible the parenting advice is that he gives in the book. It's also funny how strongly he encourages parents to take responsibility for their children despite convincing his wife to give up their 5 (or so) children to orphanages. Well, not really funny, but ironic I guess.

Reading The Hunger Games, and Foundation and Empire trilogy, and What Dogs think.

If you are liking ReadMe, try Daemon next. Enjoyable book and finish it up with Freedom-TM.

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds huntgod's Avatar
    Wasn't familiar with Daniel Suarez, but those do look good, will add them to top of my "to read" list.

Pathfinder RPG books... gearing up for running a game IRL.
    Mutiny - Is it okay if I call you the artist former known as D.R., Mr. Fuentes?
    Death_Rictus - Except that would require me to be an artist... and I'm not that by even the loosest of definitions.
    Mutiny - No, you are. Your canvas is polygonal artificial intelligence-controlled cops and your paint is their blood.

Prince of the blood by Raymond Feist

Reading this

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/23/138475723 ... cientology

It's rock solid, but once I'm done with this charming piece of reality I have a few Starwars books to read.

Trash and then high brow...

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast