WOW, SWTOR App: Feardiagh (1/3/0)

Would you have a drink with them? (the results have no bearing on whether they get in

• Yes

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hey guys. I'm having issues with the app, so I'll post it here. Thanks much for the consideration.

Are you over 18? (You must be 18+ to apply.):

• Yes

Which game(s) are you applying in?
Defiance, WoW, SWToR, anything else that comes up

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with?
About to make one on Defiance. WoW Shuhalo Alliance: Ujimos

Do you have friends or family in the guild? If so what is their forum name?
Bizket

So... let's talk! What follows are a bunch of questions that give us a sense of your personality, and give us something to talk about. If your answers are boring or short, we’ll assume you’re boring (and probably short).
Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.:

Wow, you guys come out with the hard ones quick.
I used to work at a relatively large ISP. At one point I was given access to our core routers through somewhat unofficial channels. I was at the time also working on some scripting for one of our widely used customer routers that ran the same OS. At one point after a break I started work in the wrong terminal. I have a tendency to use some very colorful language in my debugging notes when I think it will only be myself that sees it. As you can imagine, this was getting more colorful as it seems that my previous work was not working (different machine) and the logs were just filling up with some rather foul, if somewhat witty (at least to me), messages. These logs, being on the core routers and marked as Warnings, were going out to the NOC as alerts. About 20 minutes into this, one of the NOC guys comes over and asks if anyone is doing something on XXX core router. I look at my terminal window, almost have a heart attack, and fess up. After a couple of heated minutes, the situation is averted when I let everyone know I had at least not committed any of the changes. Then everyone lets off the steam with a good laugh at the fact that my gleefully unabashed debug messages now got to be a part of the companies permanent backups of the system logs.

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?):
I have worked tons of cool jobs. The one people like to hear most about is my time in Hollywood working on sound for movies and such. My favorite project was recording all of King Kongs vocalizations. Having Andy Serkis in the studio for a week was a treat. He and the other people on the project were just a joy to work with.
My worst job was loading concrete block onto pallets for six hours a day. That just sucked.

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?):
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar. Just finished a playthrough via GOG. Just as good as I remember it.

Civilization. I usually end up back on 2, but the whole series has different merits, depending on how I feel.

WoW. So far at least. I've been playing since it came out and it has evolved and kept my interest even with taking a lot of time off here and there.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.:
The most annoying person I know is also one of my best friends. He has two traits that combine to be pretty bad if you don't watch out. He can get almost anyone to just start telling their life story. This is sometimes a curse to him. The other trait is his ability to home in on things that you don't really like about yourself and call them out. He usually is trying to give advice, but sometimes you just want to tell him to shut the hell up. He's a good guy, but damn...

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!):
I am in a retro metal band. Some of my friends and I used to have Rock Band nights. We would get more and more drunk and finally get upset and say we could play it better on real instruments. We would then go in the other room and prove it (or not... mostly not). A few months of this and we decided to put our money where our mouths were. A couple of months later we had our first gig, and we've been doing an average of 2 shows a month for a few years now. Tons of fun.

Proof: http://sheduisloud.com

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
I like playing games with people I know. I get upset when guilds fold in games and I have to find new people. Also I like to try out new games and know folks there. Biz has been telling me about unrepentant for a bit and it sounds like a great group and a good solution to that problem.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.:
What type of beer do you like?
Are there folks who like to do custom UI and scripting?
Do people ever meet up outside of games (official or not)?
Does anyone want to go on a motorcycle ride sometime?

So, feardiagh and I have known eachother for a few years now. He is the rhythm guitarist for the band that I was managing, and one way or another will be at the Seattle anniversary night since he will be playing for us :p

He also knows Solomariah, just not under that name.

I am an emphatic yes, but will remove myself from this since I have been trying to get him (and the rest of the band) to join for over a year now.

Harplager

Promoter
Welcome to the app process. Grats on ramming an app in even though the system is borked. I am sure Bizket clued you in on the process (if he didn't, let us know so we can grief him). We use this process to get to know you a bit and see if you jive with our community.

Let me answer your questions:
Beer: Guinness or any similar dark stout. I'm also a fan of most IPAs, especially unique ones (I recently tried a Wheat IPA).
Scripting: Not me.
We actually have several U-Day meetups being planned currently, and several have happened before.
Bike ride: I'd love to ride, come visit me in GA.

Now, a couple questions for you:
Do you have any toons on our SWTOR servers? Names?
What's your favorite song to play?

Heya Harplager.

I'm not sure what SWToR servers I have toons on as I quit a while back because my friends did. I'd love to get back on it. If I can play old toons, awesome, if not, I can level up pretty quick.
My favorite song to play... I'd have to say one of my band's tunes called Hero's Wrath. It is part of a trilogy which has this nice mellow part in the middle that then just lets loose into a torrent of heaviness. It is a really nice cathartic moment in our set. Outside of things I helped write, I'm a big fan of classic blues and love just dinking around over a nice progression.

I have family down in NE Florida, so I might actually take you up on that bike ride sometime. :)

Well Fear, it's a pretty big negative you're working with being recommended by Bizket here.. You're going to need to work extra hard to make up for that deficit. Might I recommend sharing some embarrassing stories about him as a good place to start? :cool:

Alpha Centari or Masters of Magic always grabbed me more than Civ2. Ever give either of those a shot?

Worked at a major ISP and in hollywood as a sound guy huh? What the hell is it that you do?

Hook us up with a sample of your debug notes? :)

Embarrassing stories about Biz? First he would need enough shame to feel embarrassed, which I doubt is going to happen. But I'm sure I can think of something after work.

I loved Alpha Centauri too, and kind of consider it part of the series. MOO and MOO2 are favorites as well. I never tried Masters of Magic, but I'll give it a shot.

As for what I do... umm... I've done a lot. Chef, DJ, Insurance Adjuster, Audio Engineer, Acoustician, Network Engineer, Voice Engineer. I think that is it in order, with some overlap and discounting things I did for less than 6 months. Currently I work for a startup making a Messaging/Voice over IP app for all types of devices.

Hmmm debug notes. They are usually just insults to myself for messing up, and in response to how severe the messup is. Sort of like:

Mild: This thing broke again. It is likely your fault you clod.
Moderate: Exception number 2. Heh... number 2.
Normal: No fucking clue how this happened. You should probably look for something stupid like an unclosed statement.
Extreme: This is the exception you swore would never happen you stupid cunt. Now figure out how the program got here and fix it.

Like I said, they are not necessarily helpful, but I usually know where they came from and could fix them. If I were writing for posterity they would actually include where they occurred and what the likely cause was.

Nice app so far...That sucks about the router thing, but it sounds like it would have made for an amusing situation (at least for those not directly involved). Sounds like you have had a fairly colorful and interesting work history (wish I could say the same).

Let's see in regard to your questions....

Don't like beer, rotting bread water is not my thing (I'm more of a Gin guy).
I've tried to get into UI and scripting (I'm a game design student, but I do mostly the creative/writing stuff, but I have been trying to learn code here and there).
Well we do have some socials every now and again, depending on your location and such, your lucky you seem to be in the most populated Uey area (at least with Ueys who want to/can be social).
While I would be down with a bike ride, I 1) do not own a bike and 2) me and 2 wheeled vehicles do not get along....

Heheh another Washingtonian? Best burger in your neighborhood? Favorite ethnic food and why? What do you go out of your way to get food wise? I tend to drive 30min -1 hour to get some Church's Chicken or Popeye's Chicken, I live in Lynnwood both locations are a good 45min-1hr away from my home, but not more than 30min from my work heh

Wait are you currently playing swtor?

It matters not but it may help in getting more peeps to check out your application. I would add to the title about you playing Defiance.

When you apply to the U you are applying to the community and you are in any supported branch game!

Dozam:
I know other non-beer drinkers that I get along with... but there might be some trust issues. :p I guess gin is acceptable. I've made a couple of batches myself in the past.
I'm glad to hear I'm around a bunch of folks. I'm not particularly the most social person, but I do enjoy getting to match faces with voices after a while.

ProblEmz:
Yup, I'm up on Cap Hill in Seattle. We have the 8 oz burger bar which blows most burger joints away. Favorite Ethnic food is tough for me... I love a lot of food. I'd have to go with Indian right now, and in particular Annapurna on Broadway here. I love the subtlety of the spicing and it is something that I have a hard time making for myself, so it intrigues me.

I am currently playing swtor, I have a dood named Feardiagh on Pot5. I also have active characters in Defiance and WoW. I might have toons I can pull up elsewhere as well. :)

Thanks for the interest!

Love the debug notes. Definitely would have loved to see those flying through the logging system.

You've had quite the eclectic career! Honestly, I'm a little jealous. I got into computer security pretty much immediately and haven't been able to transition out of it since. Not that I dislike it or anything, just rather a rather boring path relative to someone such as yourself. What caused you to shift around so much?

I'm also still waiting for that story about Biz..

I've mellowed out a fair amount since Ferdiagh and I started hanging out. I think that worst that I have done since then was give the guys in Torch Burner a drunken view of what was under my kilt at a show once. Now, if I can convince Raven to join (the drummer), you have a much better chance of getting the type of stories you are looking for.

Yeah... I've been trying to think of good Bizket stories, and coming up kind of blank. Part is that his and Raven's old timey stories are better than most of what has happened since I've met him, and part is that I honestly don't think he'd be embarrassed by anything he has done in my presence. That isn't saying a lesser man might feel something... but the man just has no shame. I guess that is something he SHOULD be embarrassed about, but I see it as a good quality.

Is that your bike in your avatar? What kind is it?

What are the influences on your music other than 70's metal?

That is my bike in my avatar. It is a Triumph Thruxton. His name is Tony. I'm in the process of making him look like Iron Man Mk III.

Influences on my music abound. I listen to a lot of different things. I have an extensive classical, blues and jazz collection on vinyl. I started out in music in the Florida rave scene in the early 90s, so I've still got some of that lying around somewhere. I've recorded everything from bluegrass to shoegaze and metal. Really, as long as there is passion in the music and some talent behind it, I'll give it a shot.

To answer your questions:
I like Newcastle or Samuel Smiths Nut Brown Ale
No idea what you're even talking about
There are some meet and greets being worked on I believe
Can I ride bitch or should I bust out the Trail 70?

If you could only listen to only one bluegrass record ever again, what would it be? What did you play when you recorded bluegrass? Songs and instruments both. Have you played any of the Total War series and are you going to play Rome II?

I don't have rear pegs on my bike, they got taken off in the streamlining. So the trail 70 it is... or I've got a couple of other bikes people can borrow.

It would be hard to give up the variety of bluegrass, but I think if I had one album it would be the Barbed Wire Cutters. Not well know, they are from up here in Washington. They are one of the bands I recorded about 10 years back. Great guys and a lot of fun. I don't play bluegrass myself, I've just been the recording engineer on a few records for it.

I love the Total War series and I'm really looking forward to Rome II as Rome has been my favorite installment so far.

Cheers!

You don't seem too enthused to roll with me while I ride this. Let's get the mental image going of a 5'10 300lb man riding down the highway on this.

I guess I've forgotten how to do the handy little expandable image thing. Damn forums all confusing and what not.

Attachments

Oh man, that thing is AWESOME! If we can find like... 4+ more of them I am down for forming a new posse and I'll ride one myself. We could get Biz and Raven on them too. It would be epic.

They're pretty sweet. I think it tops out at 45-55 but it can go anywhere. It has quite the power but they can be expensive. A beat up one wouldn't be too much but to get a restored one, they're not cheap.

Top Bottom