What foreign languages do you know/speak?

Lyanis

The Nicest Corset Smut
I speak English, can read French (slowly), and know how to say 'why are you smiling like a cockroach?' in Yiddish.

rhyzen

Sir Jerky, Esq. of House Jerkington
I speak English, can read French (slowly), and know how to say 'why are you smiling like a cockroach?' in Yiddish.
How slowly? Are we talking Billy Madison slowly?

T-t-t-t-t-today, junior!

Ali

I know a few of you know my secret, but I was just curious how many other languages are represented within the ranks of the U.

So, how about it? What languages do you know/speak? Are you a native speaker... or how long have you studied it?
Why am I now very curious? I don't speak anything fluently... even English :p I took 2 years of Japanese in high school but it doesn't get very far.

I know women who speak other languages are sexy... I just like a guy with an Aussie or Kiwi accent >.>

English is my native language. I'm functional in French, Italian, and Russian. I can also carry some conversation in Spanish, Romanian, Yugoslavian, and Turkish. I've got a limited vocabulary (a few words/phrases up to very remedial sentences) in Chinese, Poshto, Somali, Japanese, and Thai.
And WTF....

Though kind of sexy speaking Russian for some reason...

Last edited:
I can speak Spanish very badly (not fluent, but have a large vocabulary) due to being half-Cuban and I know very little German (about German 101 equivalent) due to the 3 years I lived in Germany.

rhyzen

@Ali I'm not a native speaker, but I'm fluent in Arabic.

rhyzen

Ahhh! that is cool actually... for military purposes?
I'd say it was something I pursued on my own, but that would be a lie. ;)

However, once I began studying, I really gained an appreciation for the language and culture. Plus... Lebanese women. Damn.

Native language portuguese.
Fluent in english, and can understand spanish (speak it, it's a bit harder since I fail at the verbs).
Had 3 years of french in high school, but, to be honest.... hm... no. I don't like french.

Would love to learn spanish (officially), german, arabic and japanese (and I will) :D

Don't know if programming languages count too.................................... >.>

huntgod

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds
Promoter
Well if we want to include languages where I can say hello, goodbye, where is the bathroom? Then the list will expand :)

I have a handful of words in lots of languages and thanks to a customer I dealt with today, learned some cool stuff about computers setup for hebrew.

Clearly I can't read hebrew, but it really surprised me when I remoted in to her PC and everything was reversed, I know the language is right to left, but reversing all the menu's and where everything (including the windoes start icon) just seemed overkill. Also when I would pull up a menu, it was reversed top to bottom...thank god for ctrl+c and ctrl+v :)

rhyzen

Ah, very cool. Portuguese is one of the languages on my list. Would love to visit Portugal, had a friend who was just over there. His pictures made me very jealous !

rhyzen

Well if we want to include languages where I can say hello, goodbye, where is the bathroom? Then the list will expand :)

I have a handful of words in lots of languages and thanks to a customer I dealt with today, learned some cool stuff about computers setup for hebrew.

Clearly I can't read hebrew, but it really surprised me when I remoted in to her PC and everything was reversed, I know the language is right to left, but reversing all the menu's and where everything (including the windoes start icon) just seemed overkill. Also when I would pull up a menu, it was reversed top to bottom...thank god for ctrl+c and ctrl+v :)
It's the same thing with Arabic. Everything is right to left. Even the scroll bars are on the opposite side of the window.

rhyzen

I think it's awesome you have so many different languages crammed up there in that noggin. Even if it is just simple phrases and/or limited working knowledge, it is still very cool.

I really need to get started on my third language now that I have a very solid grasp on the Arabic language. I still have no idea which language I'd like to master though. I can say, however, I'm not interested in anything else in the Middle-East/Central Asia regions (I'm looking at you Persian-Farsi, Hindi-Urdu, Pashto, Kurdish, Turkish, Hebrew). I'm thinking probably an Asian language. Although, a Romantic language would probably be a nice change of pace after Arabic. :eek:

My native language is Chinese (speak Mandarin, write/read traditional). I'm about 80% fluent in Japanese, enough that one of my friends and I took a 2 1/2 week vacation in Japan by ourselves.

rhyzen

My native language is Chinese (speak Mandarin, write/read traditional). I'm about 80% fluent in Japanese, enough that one of my friends and I took a 2 1/2 week vacation in Japan by ourselves.
Very cool. My little brother studied Mandarin in college and is now currently living in Beijing teaching English. He's only been there for 4 months and he already has so many great stories.

The first story went something like this: On his first day in Beijing, he wanted to get better acquainted with the city. So, he had a city tour arranged through his company. It just so happened that it was a girl his age giving him the tour. After the tour was over (which lasted a few hours), she stops him and says that she loves him. Obviously, he's quite taken aback by the sudden development. So, I asked him what happened after that. He replied, "Well, her Dad owns this really sweet ass jade shop, so I'm gonna see where this goes for a bit..."

That boy gonna get hisself into some trouble, I reckon.

Ali

I often think it would be cool, but I don't have the patience nor I think the interest. But if someone wants to talk to me in another language... as long as it sounds pretty I will listen :p

rhyzen

I often think it would be cool, but I don't have the patience nor I think the interest. But if someone wants to talk to me in another language... as long as it sounds pretty I will listen :p
When properly spoken, Arabic can be one of the most beautiful languages. I probably would not do it justice ;)

However, I have dabbled in a bit of Arabic calligraphy. It's pretty neat. Here's the first piece I attempted...

http://alatheem.deviantart.com/art/an-Najm-Quranic-Calligraphy-216032903

Let's see...I know very rough/basic Spanish and French. I'm still studying Japanese and know that at mostly a basic level and I'm an expert at breaking English.

Top Bottom