What Floats Your Musical Boat Right Now? (nsfw)

One of my favorite concert VHS tapes (yes you read that right). I love the version of A Quick One While He's Away by the Who. Love how Townshend goes for the windmill after the first verse but ends up hitting a drum mic instead. He makes up for it though! The Dirty Mac set is pretty epic, until the violin player and the Yoko screeching starts (you can see Clapton with this "what the hell did I get into?" look). Taj Mahal rocking Ain't That A Lot of Love featuring Native American guitarist Jesse Ed Davis and a very young Les Claypool (j/k he was only 4 at the time, but the bass player always looked like him to me). The Stones set is great, but Brian Jones does not look well, and would die 6 months later.

I haven't been keeping up with the thread, but I see some Beatles stuff above, though I would share some Beatles covers. Hope you enjoy!

First up is "Something" by Booker T and the MG's. A fun fact here is that Steve Cropper knew of the Beatles (who didn't then?) but didn't know any songs. He had to be shown each one before they recorded. Because of his decidedly non-Beatles style, he plays solo unlike what you'd normally hear from Harrison. Quite beautiful.

Next is Sandy Farina's version of "Strawberry Fields Forever" from the questionably-merited Sgt. Peppers motion picture.

Last is "Elenor Rigby" by Soulive off of the excellently titled album Rubber Soulive. Rigby has been covered as a jazz number by lots of bands, and I like the originality of this take.

Top Bottom