What "console generation" did you start with?

Dao Jones

I am the Waffleman. Goo goo gajoob.
Happened across this article on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(first_generation)

The right side bar shows the different generations of consoles that have come out for consumer markets. I started with Generation 2 (Atari 2600), and have had a console from every generation since (Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Playstation and N64*, PS2 and XBox, and an XBox 360).

I think I had that Atari 2600 when I was around 8 (1983, but I had a Commodore 64 in 1981 when I was 6).

How about you folks? Anyone get their start in the first generation of consoles?

* Goldeneye for the N64 is still the best multiplayer shooter, ever.

Death_Rictus

Shotgun Enthusiast
Commodore 64... later a NES and Sega Master System.

* Goldeneye for the N64 is still the best multiplayer shooter, ever.
I hear that a lot... from people who started FPS games on consoles. Those of us that started on PCs all have differing opinions. Personally, my favorite was Unreal Tournament.

Yes, I did have Pong. I was like 12 I think. But I still remember playing that crap all the time on the big console black and white TV in the basement...good times

Harplager

Promoter
Third Generation, my first was a Nintendo, but on the cusp of the Fourth. I was a late comer to the nintendo and the Turbografx 16 was new on the market.

My parents let me pick whether I wanted a Turbografx16 or a Nintendo. I loved the demo I played in-store of Bonk's adventure but chose the Nintendo because my nephew had one and we could share games. Got lucky there when Turbografx were canned.

Its funny, I was just talking about this the other day with my family. We started right from gen1 with a Coleco, which is still around somewhere. From there it was a Texas Instruments computer, a TRS80, onwards through a Sears Zenith EZ PC (an xt), a 486sx and on.

My first real console past the Coleco tho, was an XBox. Still have it, just sold my XBox 360. I've realized I really am more of a desktop gamer.

Aethyre

Rainbow Warrior
I was an Atari 2600 kid, quickly graduating to the NES, skipping the SNES/Genesis days, and then ended up with a 3DO.

As for the best multiplayer FPS, Heretic. Yeah, you could be running around with the big staff of flaming deathness, but when your opponent can turn you into a chicken you still have to be careful.

I remember having a commodore 64. Spyhunter and Kung Fu iirc? I was pretty young though. I do remember playing a ski game on atari...but I have no idea when this was in relation to the commodore. My family definitely wasn't on the cutting edge of technology back then so I probably got the commodore long after it was released. From there it was NES, SNES/Genesis, 64, Gamecube, and 360. I had a PS1 and PS2 in there at some point.

So many hours playing GoldenEye. Perfect Dark on 64 is a close 2nd for me.

Last edited:

huntgod

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds
Promoter
It was this...from Sears, I was 5 or 6...

2600 for the win. Pretty sure since then i've also owned at least one console from every generation, though the previous generation(PS3/360/etc) I almost skipped because fuck $60 games.

I started out gaming on an Apple IIe when I was somewhere around 4-6 years old and played games on it for years, even once consoles came out. I played all the original Bard's Tale games on the Apple. Never actually had an Atari myself, but it was the first one I played on because my best friend had one. Pitfall, and a tank game I can't remember the name of were some of our favorites at the time. I think I was around 6-7 when we were playing that too. We had something like a pong system, can't recall exactly but it hooked up to the TV and it was just a paddle and ball thing but it had different games (hockey, tennis, squash, and an early shooting game with a gun controller where you tried to hit a square on the screen). The gun was the coolest because it was all black and looked like a Stormtroopers gun from Star Wars. Spent a fair amount of time on the C64 too at some friends and my cousins. My first actual console was the original NES, then I skipped a generation to N64 (Goldeneye is the best, hands down - tangent> My friends and I played 4 player multiplayer on a big screen TV for hours everyday). I've had all the Playstation consoles and a Wii too. Never had an Xbox, but most of my friends have them. Nothing against the Xbox, but I can't really justify any more consoles.

(Unreal Tournament was among my first PC FPS and yeah it rocks too.)

Last edited:
Pong (specifically Magnavox Odyssey), followed much later by Atari 5200, 7800, Genesis, N64, and XBox.

I'm a youngin' so I started in 4th gen. I remember playing the various Sonic games on the Genesis and many hours on the SNES as well.

My cousins owned the Atari 2600 and Intellivision, so that's what I started playing. I didn't get a console until NES.

That being said, my first gaming platform was an IBM AT. Although King's Quest wasn't the first game I owned, it definitely had the highest impact on me (I owned 5 or 6 of those, plus Space Quest, Police Quest, Hero's Quest, and of course Leisure Suit Larry).

Yes, I did have Pong. I was like 12 I think. But I still remember playing that crap all the time on the big console black and white TV in the basement...good times
BLEEP

BLOOP

BLEEP

BLOOP

BLEEPBLOOP

BLEEPBLOOPBLEEPBLOOPBLEEP

BLOOP

The sounds of 1979, bitches.

Started with the Sega Master System, then moved to a Genesis, then a Playstation, then a PS2, and finally a XBox 360.

You guys want to relive those days? Go here and search for any game on almost any system. I use it almost daily. You can even play 2-player games with peeps across the 'net. Just DL the plug-in, takes 3 minutes tops.

You're welcome!

Last edited:
I'm a relative youngin' as well. But my first gaming... thing was a Commodore 64. We must have had that thing from before I was born, but I totally had one, and played the shit out of this Muppets carnival game. And I knew how to run that shit from the command line when I was 3. Not surprising I wound up being a programmer. I played nintendo and super nintendo at other people's houses, but I didn't have my own until like right before the N64 came out. So despite the fact that I'm too young to have been alive DURING second gen, I consider myself OG second gen.

I started out playing an atari 2600 that my grandmother had. First one I had myself was NES. Then I had a hewlitt packard 486 computer and never wanted another console lol you can do so much more, exspecialy now, on the computer than you can do on consoles.

First Gen, specifically Atari Pong variant. I was probably 12-13 yrs old when we got it.

One of the great Pong championship games of all times.

And the first ever recorded Pong match:

Yes, talking 'bout my generation.

Started with first one I grabbed was Atari. But actually started playing a lot with Nintendo (NES). Then my life was over :p

Top Bottom