What breed is Krypto?

Wikipedia says he is closest to an earth Parson's Russel Terrier, but those are little dogs for tunneling out rats.
I always thought he was more of a white Carolina dog or maybe a white terrier Labrador mix. What say you?

But certainly not this little guy:

Last edited:
He might be a Jack Russell Terrier mix. I had one and he looked just like the main picture on the wikipedia page but I believe he was pretty tall for his breed. He had a lot of similarities with Krypto so he could be a mix. I don't really have any idea about dog breeds though.

Looks like a long legged jack russell to me too. If not, he mostly Jack. Parsons are what uppity people call the Jack Russell, so they could show them AKC.

huntgod

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds
Promoter
Irregardless of the basis for the drawing, the dog in the comics is a large dog, 85-125lbs, the same size as a Lab and has similar ears and other characteristics. I don't get Jack Russell at all, and that is a tiny breed under 25lbs. So there is a huge size difference.

His muzzle is almost collie like and the ears are definitely hunting dog ears.

Hunting or herding, the Kryptonians were running these dogs through brush whatever their function was.

I would have placed him more in the 50 to 60 lb range.

Last edited:
Well are we talking that dog in the picture up top or this drawing of a not real dog that could technically be anything because it's not a real dog?

I wrote ths huge long post....but then I found the wikipedia article:

Although Krypto's breed is never specifically stated in the comic books, Krypto was drawn as a white dog of generic pedigree (his closest analog to an Earth dog breed might be a white Parson Russell Terrier).

Is supposedly supposed to look like this:

I think they have deliberately depicted Krypto in so many different styles that it's impossible to know which one. I originally thought the dog was taller, but maybe it is closer to a Jack Russell. Those are nasty dogs, by the way. Or least the one my cousin had. You would be petting it and then all of a sudden it would turn around and bite your hand. Also very hyper, so I guess it would make sense.

huntgod

Promoter
Anytime Krypto is pictured with a person it's clear he is a 80-125 lbs breed, his head is normally at mid thigh to hip height on guys that are 6'+ in height. Jack Russells come up to mid calf or knee on a tall man and weigh less than 25lbs. Krypto is not a Jack Russel or variation, though that may be the reference used for the original drawing when it came to the traits used.

The first image you linked from Alex Ross is probably the best since he uses a photo reference for all his paintings.

Honestly what throws it is the snout is narrower than most hunting breeds...though if you take a doberman with uncropped ears and paint it white, you might get something close.

Yeah he is way taller than a Parson's. Parsons have a more restricted height variance than a straight up Jack Russel, although they come from exactly the same stock. It's simply a sub-set based on criteria.

He is somewhere between a pitt and a lab in size. But maybe a Parson's in frame. Also, you can take the cartoony one out of the running. That breed is called "Dynomutt".

I think Ross did a better job at staying true to source than this guy. The original head seems almost grayhoudy or maybe afgan.

Last edited:
Doberman/Yellow Lab?

Also....because I searched Google for Doberman/Yellow lab pics, I'm going to inflict you all with what I had to deal with:

huntgod

Promoter
Dynomutt is the same breed as Scooby Doo, which was a Great Dane...

I really love labs and those are adorable...labs cross breed well with just about anything else.

Who cares what he is . . . . .but he is totally cute! He definately need a red cape tho!

Top Bottom