What are you reading?

huntgod

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds
Promoter
Currently enjoying In the Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss it is a great read thus far!!! :D
Yeah it was a pretty exceptional book, Wise Mans Fear is a very solid "sequel" and Slow Regard of Silent Things is also really good, but has more of a YA tone...still three fantastic books and good examples of taking pretty standard tropes and doing something very fresh with them.

Yeah it was a pretty exceptional book, Wise Mans Fear is a very solid "sequel" and Slow Regard of Silent Things is also really good, but has more of a YA tone...still three fantastic books and good examples of taking pretty standard tropes and doing something very fresh with them.
I like that they are telling a story from a different side of things. I have been enjoying it some much that I went ahead and got the rest to read next :D

GalacticKegger

Cylon Hunter
Catamarans: The Complete Guide for Cruising Sailors Hardcover – Illustrated, October 8, 2007 ~ by Gregor Tarjan

GalacticKegger

Cylon Hunter
Cheers! Alas and unfortunately no ... but definitely working on it. We celebrated our 40th anniversary last Thursday (the 3rd) and a trip down memory lane after a couple bottles of Perrier Jouët reaffirmed how this has been at the top of our retirement to-do list since we first exchanged vows. Hell, we even had our names on the side of Tom Blackhaller's 12-meter "Defender" that lost to Dennis Conner's "Liberty" in '83 ... which ultimately lost the America's Cup to the wing keeled "Australia II". Unbelievably awesome memories of that whole experience.

Anyway, I took the Chapman piloting cert course eons ago (still have all of my books & materials) when we wanted to start a dinner cruise line. And I'm boning up on the physics of multihull sailing. We plan to retire with/on a 40" to 45" cruiser and intend to be well studied in how they day trip, coastal cruise, gunkhole, and blue water sail before we ever pull that trigger. It's a horse before the cart thing to us.

[edit] If it's any consolation I am reading it on our lanai :cool:

A'Bunadh.jpg

Last edited:

GalacticKegger

Cylon Hunter
As a live-aboard ... yes. We need to be able to run our business from it (which will also be our gaming space) and a full galley (all of which will fit in the main cabin nicely on a 45), an owner's suite (one hull), a guest cabin w/ head, and a parts/stores locker w/ a dive locker (other hull).

[edit] Don't want anything so large that we'd need an actual crew.

Last edited:

GalacticKegger

Cylon Hunter
Neuromancer by William Gibson. A brother from another mother (40 years for those of you scoring at home) who I game with (he's the guy you see me playing PGA2K21 with on Tuesday nights) is coming to visit for a week this month. He wants to binge on the Matrix trilogy over a bottle of Crown, so I'm reading Neuromancer as sort of a prequel.

huntgod

Promoter
Neuromancer by William Gibson. A brother from another mother (40 years for those of you scoring at home) who I game with (he's the guy you see me playing PGA2K21 with on Tuesday nights) is coming to visit for a week this month. He wants to binge on the Matrix trilogy over a bottle of Crown, so I'm reading Neuromancer as sort of a prequel.
I was 14 when that came out and saw it in the B. Dalton...loved it and was hooked on Cyberpunk moving forward. Devoured Burning Chrome and Mona Lisa Overdrive when they came out, played the computer game on my Apple ][GS over and over.

Though I first got turned on to him from his short fiction in Omni magazine in the early 80's...great stuff and that was great magazine.

If you haven't read Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash, you should definitely give that a read as well...

My favorite story about Gibson was that he was completely computer illiterate, he had no clue what computers were capable of when he wrote his stories, he didn't think what he was writing was that far fetched in parts, he went to purchase a brand new computer in 1985-86 and was shocked at how primitive they were.

huntgod

Promoter
Oh and I am currently finishing up a reread of Wheel of Time, I hadn't read any of them since Memory of Light came out back in 2014 and was watching the TV show and figured what the hell...just started book 12 and things are pretty much as I remembered. First 5 books were very good, 6-8 was painful at times to slog through, then back on track with 9 and really good through where I am now.

I don't remember the shift from Jordan to Sanderson being so abrupt last time, but this time since I am just hopping through them it was jarring to go from Jordan's prose to Sandersons. Took a couple of chapters to get used to Sanderson.

Top Bottom