What are you reading?

Death_Rictus

Shotgun Enthusiast
I concur, Harrow the Ninth wasn't as good as Gideon the Ninth. The twist was pretty easy to see coming.

I know there was a thread like this, but I couldn't dig it out of the pile...

I'm about 200 pages into Neil Stephenson's new novel REAMDE and it is awesome.

The main character is based loosely on Richard Garriott (Lord British of Ultima) and the background is hsi company which has basically married Bitcoin to an MMO and created this ridiculous gold farmers dream of a game. Enter a new virus that basically encrypts your HD and holds it for ransom unless you pay 1000g of in game currency (about $73.00 real world) and the russian mafia and you get a really cool novel.

I am a big fan of his (Snowcrash, Diamond Age, Cryptonomicrom, Baroque Cycle Trilogy, Anathem) and his books are all on my favorite lists.

Definitely worth checking out.
I have been addicted to Litrpg books for a long time now. It first started when I read The Land by Aleron Kong (Chaos Seeds series) now I have read a ton of other ones.

Right now I am reading The Noobtown series. I also suggest some other ones;

The Completionist Chronicles

The Rogue Dungeon

Ascend Online

New Era Online

The Wraith's Haunt Series

Occultist: Saga Online #1

Awaken Online

If you like them let me know!

I know there was a thread like this, but I couldn't dig it out of the pile...

I'm about 200 pages into Neil Stephenson's new novel REAMDE and it is awesome.

The main character is based loosely on Richard Garriott (Lord British of Ultima) and the background is hsi company which has basically married Bitcoin to an MMO and created this ridiculous gold farmers dream of a game. Enter a new virus that basically encrypts your HD and holds it for ransom unless you pay 1000g of in game currency (about $73.00 real world) and the russian mafia and you get a really cool novel.

I am a big fan of his (Snowcrash, Diamond Age, Cryptonomicrom, Baroque Cycle Trilogy, Anathem) and his books are all on my favorite lists.

Definitely worth checking out.
I'm a huge Neil Stephenson fan!
Finishing his Seven Eves! Highly recommended.
I've read all the other books you mentioned except his "Broque Cycle Trilogy" I'll have to check it out.

I've been downloaded the top 100 Sci-fi books as audio books and have been listening to them as I go outside for walks.

Pathfinder RPG books... gearing up for running a game IRL.
Pathfinder saved D&D when it went off on the disastrous 4th edition.
I've really liked the 2nd edition Pathfinder RPG core book!
The way they re-did the actions I feel really adds to the game.

I think Pathfinder is better than D&D 5th editon.
But D&D 5e is simple enough to make it accessible to more players.
So usually I DM D&D 5th edition.

huntgod

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds
Promoter
I'm a huge Neil Stephenson fan!
Finishing his Seven Eves! Highly recommended.
I've read all the other books you mentioned except his "Broque Cycle Trilogy" I'll have to check it out.

I've been downloaded the top 100 Sci-fi books as audio books and have been listening to them as I go outside for walks.
The Baroque Cycle was 3 hardbacks, each 1000+ pages, I believe they also released as 9 paperbacks...of course they are also ebooks (which is my preference these days). Can't remember if I mentioned in the other post, but they are prequels to Cryptonomicron. They are set in 1680's and later, the ancestors of the Shaftoes and the Waterhouses. I deals with the formation of modern banking and the conditions that would lead to the industrial revolution. Waterhouse is a contemporary and friend of Isaac Newton, there is also a great plotline with Leibnitz and how coffee houses developed into insurance and banking houses. In the background Jack Shafoe is a syphilitic maniac soldier wandering through India becoming a prince and then returning to England. It's such good stuff, but not for everyone.

I am currently finishing up Joe Abercrombies latest The Trouble With Peace, which I honestly think might be my favorite yet. It's a little agonizing reading it as you really sympathize with all the characters and then have to watch the inevitable as they come into conflict with each other.

williamsond

DDO Usurper
Pathfinder saved D&D when it went off on the disastrous 4th edition.
I've really liked the 2nd edition Pathfinder RPG core book!
The way they re-did the actions I feel really adds to the game.

I think Pathfinder is better than D&D 5th editon.
But D&D 5e is simple enough to make it accessible to more players.
So usually I DM D&D 5th edition.
really Love 5th, loved 2nd, put up with 4th because it all there was, but honestly I've never got on with pathfinder it's too much like 3rd edition and I hated that. Character building in both was just too customizable, I know it sounds counter intuitive but complicated min maxing game breaking ultra powerful characters have always been my pet hate (it's probably because im a DM). Never got into 2nd pathfinder either.

Top Bottom