What are you reading?

huntgod

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds
Ufficer
Grrr...I can't find who recommended it but I just started reading Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire trilogy, the first book Prince of Thorns grabbed me on page one.

If you like gritty dark fantasy, Joe Abercrombie and Glen Cook, you will love this...burning through the first one now.

GalacticKegger

Cylon Hunter
Recently finished 'The Plot to Destroy Democracy' by Malcom Nance, 'The Fifth Risk' by Michael Lewis, 'Democracy in Chains' by Nancy MacLean and 'Playing for Pizza' by John Grisham. I'm now reading 'Fear' by Bob Woodward, with 'Devil's Bargain' by Joshua Green on deck.

arkle

DDO Guild Leader
Ufficer
Grrr...I can't find who recommended it but I just started reading Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire trilogy, the first book Prince of Thorns grabbed me on page one.

If you like gritty dark fantasy, Joe Abercrombie and Glen Cook, you will love this...burning through the first one now.
I like to space out my epic fantasy sagas so read book 1 earlier in the year, bought book 2. After reading a couple of other things, read book 2 - even better than book 1. Got book 3 on the pending pile for the holidays.

I'd also recommend Joe Abercrombie. I also recently really liked Blackwing by Ed McDonald.

So... lets talk about my new guilty pleasure, Domestic Girlfriend, for a while...
I was watching the anime, couldn't stand waiting for the next episode and then binged the entire manga in a couple of days. Despite the (super) trashy premise it is probably one of the best romantic comedy/drama works I had the pleasure to read in a loooong time. Highly recommended but... NSFW.
This video does a great job at explaining why it is so good. First half is for the anime and the second half is for the manga.

Last edited:

huntgod

Ufficer
I finally broke down and started reading Iain Banks Culture Novels...I had started the first one a few times and just couldn't get in to it. Finally just pushed through the first few chapters and warmed to it. Consider Phleibas, the first one is still my least favorite, I'm almost done with the 4th one, Excission and really have enjoyed them. They are each very different, just set in the same universe, so I believe they can be read out of order or even some skipped, in the 4 I've read so far there are no common characters.

Anyway they are very good and worth checking out...really good sci fi that deals with broader social issues and societal development with the very federation'ish utopian culture and how it interacts with other space faring and non space faring societies.

GalacticKegger

Cylon Hunter
Just finished 'Armada' by Ernest Cline. If Ready Player One became a movie that Steven Spielberg could sink his teeth into, then Armada could become a movie that James Cameron could sink his teeth into.

I thought it was just as good as 'Ready Player One', even though it got panned. I'm guessing most of the folks who panned it did so because they had preconceived hopes that it was a sequel to Ready Player One ... which it definitely is not. It is its own story with its own new characters and timeline that once again uses the author's love of gaming with his familiar flashback reference style of storytelling. I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it.

Last edited:
I've been rereading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Got through book 9 before, just caught back up to there a couple days ago and started book 10. New territory for me. Really love that series.

After I finish that, I plan on reading the War of the Spark, the new MTG book coming out at the end of next month. I'm super excited about it.

GalacticKegger

Cylon Hunter
In preparation for seeing the movie Mortal Engines (trailers looks cool) I'm reading the book - which is a way better read than I thought it would be. It has a combined Mad Max / John Carter / Wild Wild West feel to it; and being a pet project of Peter Jackson's I'm hoping the movie does the book justice.

Just finished reading volume 15 of Feral Heart, an original webnovel by YesorNo. SFW...ish (ignore the beast girl harem tag. That's "technically" true, but, not really), novel fantasy setting, great character and world building.
I highly recommend it for anyone with the time for it.

Last edited:

GalacticKegger

Cylon Hunter
Mindf*ck
Cambridge Analytica and the Plot to Break America
by Christopher Wylie

http://www.randomhousebooks.com/books/604375/

This is the book of science in politics (not science fiction) that richly describes our here & now - as well as how and why we arrived at this here & now - in excruciating and fact-based detail. It is the red pill that shows you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Not for the closed-minded or ethically squeamish, this book will have you rethinking the depth of your social media presence.

A Game of Thrones
by George R. R. Martin

This is the first volume of 'A Song of Ice and Fire', the series that was made into the HBO series.

huntgod

Ufficer
Mindf*ck
Cambridge Analytica and the Plot to Break America
by Christopher Wylie

http://www.randomhousebooks.com/books/604375/

This is the book of science in politics (not science fiction) that richly describes our here & now - as well as how and why we arrived at this here & now - in excruciating and fact-based detail. It is the red pill that shows you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Not for the closed-minded or ethically squeamish, this book will have you rethinking the depth of your social media presence.

I'm glad you mentioned this, I don't read a lot of non fiction but this really sparked my interest.

I am about to start The Great Leveler by Walter Scheidel, it looks to be pretty dark, but very interesting how he ties economic disparity with societal collapse, going back through recorded history and before.

On the fiction front, I'm almost done with Matter by Iain Banks, it's the 8th book in his Culture series, really good stuff, only two left and then I will have to find me a new series. He passed back in 2013 so no more coming either...

So... lets talk about my new guilty pleasure, Domestic Girlfriend, for a while...
I was watching the anime, couldn't stand waiting for the next episode and then binged the entire manga in a couple of days. Despite the (super) trashy premise it is probably one of the best romantic comedy/drama works I had the pleasure to read in a loooong time. Highly recommended but... NSFW.
So, the manga finally ended with episode 276. After it ended there was a massive wave of death threats to the author's twitter account, and grown men losing their shit about it on the internet. Here is a brief description of the protagonist's daughter's filial structure that would clarify beyond doubt just how messy it got in the end.

Highly recommended if you value works that evoke emotions within you. Not sure what emotions it will evoke but you can bet they will be intense...

Edit: Updated link since the previous site kinda died. Also this is the link to the official English release in case anyone wants to send that madwoman money for polluting the literature world with her transcendent dumpster fire/ giant car crash you can't stop watching of a work.

huntgod

Ufficer
I'd also recommend Joe Abercrombie. I also recently really liked Blackwing by Ed McDonald.
I cannot recommend Joe Abercrombie more highly, his almost western approach to gritty dark fantasy is exceptional and I loooove them. I will definitely check out Ed McDonald.

I was looking for something to read after finishing off the last of Iain Banks Culture novels, really sad he died and there won't be more, so I picked up another series by Marl Lawrence, Power Word Kill, Limited Wish and Dispel Illusion, burned through them quick, fun and entertaining, one of the better handling of time travel and multiverse theory. The write up is Ready Player One meets Stranger Things and that't close, it's set in the mid 80's with a kid who plays D&D so there is a strong nostalgia factor for the 40+ crowd and it has some nice elements that push it to Stranger Things, though the monsters are people, like in real life.

arkle

DDO Guild Leader
Ufficer
Let's see - during lockdown and having discovered Daniel Greene's YouTube channel, I have been reading more and newer fantasy authors.

The new Joe Abercrombie series of course is great (A Little Hatred). I also liked the Broken Earth series and, after a break caused by dislike of the author's views on the Crimea, I read book 5 and 6 of the Night Watch series (The New Watch/the Sixth Watch).

In the okay section I have read Sparrow (more sci fi than fantasy), The Old Man and the Wasteland (ditto). I put Black Prism in this category too, I'll probably try book 2 but not sold on it yet. Finally in here I have book 1 and 2 of the Demon series by Peter Brett.

In the did not work for me section Black Leopard Red Wolf which I just couldn't get in to, and Poppy War, the analogies with Chinese/Japanese history kept pulling me out of the narrative.

I'm now reading Red Sister by Mark Lawrence and its going fast because it is a good read.

And a question - I see a lot of fuss about Brent Sanderson, in particular Mistborn and Stormlight - should I have one or more of those at the top of my TBR list?

huntgod

Ufficer
I enjoyed Mistborn and loved his handling of the end of Wheel of Time, haven't read his other stuff, he's a little too optimistic in tone for my taste, which may sound strange.

I liked the NK Jemison series I started, need to finish the other two, it was a nice change of pace and I appreciated her pulling from non-european mythos so it has a flavor that was different.

I will likely move on to Mark Lawrences Red Sister series if nothing else has popped up before I finish Dispel Illusion.

All of Mark Lawrences books are good. I like his first three the best though Jorg is an amazing character. Currently reading Blood Raven by Anthony Ryan.

Top Bottom