What are you reading?

huntgod

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds
Promoter
I know there was a thread like this, but I couldn't dig it out of the pile...

I'm about 200 pages into Neil Stephenson's new novel REAMDE and it is awesome.

The main character is based loosely on Richard Garriott (Lord British of Ultima) and the background is hsi company which has basically married Bitcoin to an MMO and created this ridiculous gold farmers dream of a game. Enter a new virus that basically encrypts your HD and holds it for ransom unless you pay 1000g of in game currency (about $73.00 real world) and the russian mafia and you get a really cool novel.

I am a big fan of his (Snowcrash, Diamond Age, Cryptonomicrom, Baroque Cycle Trilogy, Anathem) and his books are all on my favorite lists.

Definitely worth checking out.

Aethyre

Rainbow Warrior
I'm finally getting around to checking out Brandon Sanderson and Scott Lynch. Finished the second book of Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series last week, and am drying to get my hands on a third. I'm almost done with the first book in Sanderson's Mistborn books, and so far so good.

I'm on Fires of Heaven (book 5) in my Wheel of Time pre-A Memory of Light re-read. That book series has consumed my life for about 5 years. I'm not sure what I'll do what it's over...

I just got done with the Old Man's War Trilogy by John Scalzi. If you like Sci Fi war books, it is pretty good.

I've been stuck on Rousseau's Emile for a few months. Mainly gaming or reading comic books instead of this book. I really liked his confessions and Julie but man this one is not that much fun to read. However there is something amusing about just how horrible the parenting advice is that he gives in the book. It's also funny how strongly he encourages parents to take responsibility for their children despite convincing his wife to give up their 5 (or so) children to orphanages. Well, not really funny, but ironic I guess.

Loyn

The Lemon Merchant
Reading The Hunger Games, and Foundation and Empire trilogy, and What Dogs think.

If you are liking ReadMe, try Daemon next. Enjoyable book and finish it up with Freedom-TM.

huntgod

Promoter
Wasn't familiar with Daniel Suarez, but those do look good, will add them to top of my "to read" list.

The Star Wars Darth Bane trilogy is my current reading endeavor, although, I am also reading a series by Michael Grant, the first one is called "Gone", then "Hunger" and two other that the titles escape me now.
" I am number four", and the "Hunger Games" books were recent reads as well. Oh, and "The Tao of Pooh".

Currently The Sword of Truth series I'm up to book 8 I believe. I'm not sure what I will read after this series but probably the Song of Ice and Fire series again or maybe the Empire series by Raymond Feist we shall see.

Working my way backwards through Kathy Reichs' [text]Bones[text] novels. Not a bad way to kill an evening or plane ride.
Hope to pick up some more Vonnegut after I exhaust Kathy, or maybe some Clive Cussler for a bit of predictable "ass whoopin' at sea" pulp action.

Wexamos

Guru of Doodoo
i am also currently reading the wheel of time series to get caught up and to read a memory of the light, i had only read to book 9 previously (about 10 years ago) so i wanted to reread it before i delved into the books i haven't read before, , currently finishing book 8, and i have all the rest ready to go on my kindle for while im on vacation

I'm finally working my way through The Dark Tower series after being threatened with my life if i didnt. This is one threat to my life i am thoroughly enjoying. :lol:

I'm going back through Dresden Files. My wife and I are both reading them together since we like talking about books we're reading. We just finished up Name of the Wind & Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss, great series. Not sure after Dresden Files though... might go back through and read the Incarnations of Immortality series. (need a few light series before I get back into something more "epic")

Guitar96 said:
I've been stuck on Rousseau's Emile for a few months. Mainly gaming or reading comic books instead of this book. I really liked his confessions and Julie but man this one is not that much fun to read. However there is something amusing about just how horrible the parenting advice is that he gives in the book. It's also funny how strongly he encourages parents to take responsibility for their children despite convincing his wife to give up their 5 (or so) children to orphanages. Well, not really funny, but ironic I guess.
Try Candide after you finish the Rousseau. It's an antidote. Various murder mysteries and thrillers, none from the new book shelf.

Harplager

Promoter
Zerd said:
might go back through and read the Incarnations of Immortality series. (need a few light series before I get back into something more "epic")
I loved that series for the first 3 books, then they just got weird to me.

I just caught myself up with all the Dresden Files this summer. I loved them, hooked me in with book 1 and kept me there (even through Ghost Story). I finished The Way of the Shadows by Brent Weeks this week, didn't much care for the writing style. I just started A Game of Thrones.

Harplager said:
Zerd said:
might go back through and read the Incarnations of Immortality series. (need a few light series before I get back into something more "epic")

I just caught myself up with all the Dresden Files this summer. I loved them, hooked me in with book 1 and kept me there (even through Ghost Story). I finished The Way of the Shadows by Brent Weeks this week, didn't much care for the writing style. I just started A Game of Thrones.
Game of Thrones is fantastic. Loved the series... If you want something light afterwards Jim Butchers other series (which is finished) is very good too. I believe the first one is Furies of Caldara (might be spelling that last one wrong).

huntgod

Promoter
Zerd said:
Harplager said:
Zerd said:

Game of Thrones is fantastic. Loved the series... If you want something light afterwards Jim Butchers other series (which is finished) is very good too. I believe the first one is Furies of Caldara (might be spelling that last one wrong).
The Codex Alera, is the name of the series and yes they are exceptional...

Top Bottom