Star Trek Discovery...no spoilers.

huntgod

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds
Promoter
So watched the first episode and then downloaded the second...looks like a winner.

Had some pacing issues and seemed a little out of focus a few times but on the whole was a very enjoyable experience, episode 2 was better than 1.

I particularly like that though it still has the utopian quality of Star Trek, there is some dirtiness and the show definitely ended up going in another direction than I'd expected with the character development.

Really looking forward to the rest of the season.

Also, great intro, thank god we didn't get another fiasco like the Enterprise intro...I actually enjoyed Enterprise, but the intro was just shit.

How does it compare to The Orville? I've really been enjoying what I've seen so far, but I am saddened that Fox moved it from Sunday to Thursday. That's usually how they end up killing good shows.

Then again, maybe the fact that it's a Seth MacFarlane show, it might never get cancelled.

I actually enjoyed Enterprise, but the intro was just shit.
What was wrong with the intro? I actually liked that song. /shrug

huntgod

Promoter
I am on the fence with The Orville, was really hoping for something more like Galaxy Quest and instead am getting a show that seems to be having some identity issues.

The humor in Orville feels very forced rather than an organic progression from events, which would be fine if the entire show was build that way, but they opted to go with a legit sci-fi show that has humorous undertones and for me hasn't quite found itself. I thought the balance of the humor was better in episode 3, but they insanely decided to tackle a VERY complicated issue and handled it in a very half asses manner which really hurt the episode for me.

ST: Discovery has no humor, it is a straight up drama and a pretty solid addition to the franchise so far.

I am enjoying Orville, just hoping it can solidify it's identity soon.

I have some faith that it will find its stride.

As for Discovery, when you say "no humor", do you mean non-comedy, or just complete lack of the type of humor that previous Trek series have had in the past?

I'm seriously looking forward to starting it, but I need to find time to do so.

Discovery airs tonight in the UK on Netflix. After all the negative reporting on it during production I am really looking forward to seeing how the finished product stands up. My dream is that they have Bill Shatner cameo as Kirk's s grandad! Alas I fear on that score I will be disappointed.

Harplager

Promoter
I want a new Star Trek, but I refuse to pay CBS for their streaming service. Tried it a year ago (for football) and it was just a mess. Just out of curiosity, does Discovery have ads, or does your subscription to the CBS service make it ad free?

I thought the first 2 episodes of Discovery were really good overall. Has that star trek feel overall, mixed with just a bit of Battlestar Galactica grittiness. I like the direction they seem to be headed; less mission of the week and more serialized. CBS will get my $5.99 for now, even if PS4 playback is less than optimal.

Just out of curiosity, does Discovery have ads, or does your subscription to the CBS service make it ad free?
There's the limited commercial option for $5.99 and an upgraded package with mostly no commercials (some in live tv and certain programs *might* have commercials, as the signup page put it) for $9.99.

huntgod

Promoter
Well the first episode aired on commercial TV last night, not sure about the rest of the season.

The All Access service is going to fail, yet another poor decision by CBS, they lack the content to sustain any sort of pay service and it seems very unproductive to reinvent the wheel when there are existing delivery platforms that they should utilize. Disney might get theres to fly, but finding ways to get people to pay directly for content these days seems like a non starter, these guys really need to be figuring out better ways to exploit other revenue streams

The All Access service is going to fail, yet another poor decision by CBS, they lack the content to sustain any sort of pay service and it seems very unproductive to reinvent the wheel when there are existing delivery platforms that they should utilize. Disney might get theres to fly, but finding ways to get people to pay directly for content these days seems like a non starter, these guys really need to be figuring out better ways to exploit other revenue streams
I'm sure there are a lot of smart people at CBS that realize this, but unfortunately, the entire industry is run by a bunch of old people that are not only stuck in the past, but also complete incapable of getting with the times.

Since I don't have cable service, I decided to pay for CBS All-Access because I absolutely want to support efforts to make a new Trek (sometimes, that means voting with your dollars).

Unfortunately, the UX on their stupid website is so bad that it auto-played Episode 2 - which I mistook for Episode 1 since there was no indication otherwise - and I completely missed half of the story. I'll watch Ep1 later tonight and get my real feelings. For what I did see, it seems like it takes itself pretty seriously. TNG, DS9, and VOY all had bright spots and their share of humor (and good cast chemistry). We'll see.

The Orville might actually end up overtaking DIS.

ObiWanJabroni

Official Coiner of Terms
Community Officer
Good to hear some optimism. I've been waffling on throwing money at CBS to see a new Trek. On the plus side, new Trek. On the down side, more incentive for everyone and their subsidiary companies to come out with their own stupid streaming service. If only there were some sort of all-streaming access point like cable or satellite TV where you play a flat fee for the core sub, like say Netflix, and then reduced prices for a la carte streaming services. I'd be all over that.

But anyway, yay for Trek. Hopefully they've figured out how to not have the first 3 seasons suck. Also glad to hear they've learned from Enterprise's critical opening theme mistake. I can't believe that show went off the air 12 years ago and we've been without a Trek series ever since. Its been a long road, getting from there to here.

As for Discovery, when you say "no humor", do you mean non-comedy, or just complete lack of the type of humor that previous Trek series have had in the past
Just saw the first two episodes of the new ST series. It is too early to tell if the show will sink or float, in particular because the crew dynamics or even the show's ship have not been shown yet for story reasons, but it certainly isn't on the campy side. It is pretty grim and sets up the start of a Klingon/Federation war that will likely be the focus of the series. On the plus side, Klingons are f a b u l o u s fashionistas now, they took some dressing advice from Stargate's Goa'uld overlords...

Maximvs

STO Guild Leader
I'd really like to watch it but can't justify the price for the CBS service - so for now I'll just have to live through others ;p

I'm glad to hear though that the show does seem to have a good foothold and hopefully goes forward from there. I'll just keep living the dream through other people eyes for now :D

huntgod

Promoter
So again the first episode aired on commercial TV and will likely be rebroadcast, if they really want people to sub for this show, they need to tease a few episodes on regular TV to get em hooked before moving it to the streaming service.

---edit---

Just read a piece indicating that Netflix would be carrying it 24hrs after broadcast...so there ya go.

Nevermind apparently that is only for Europe...Netflix US and Canada will not be broadcasting it.

Last edited:
Finally got around to watching it. Overall, I enjoyed it, but I'm not a fan of the Klingons. They talk as if they're gargling marbles. I'd be willing to bet whoever came up with their design isn't even a Trek fan, because they're so fucking shyte.

Top Bottom