Several new TV shows worth checking out - Lucifer, Minority Report and Blindspot!

Zandar1

Guild Master Meister, Messer Mover Monsieur
Community Officer
I'll second the recommendation for The Boys, it's dark but it's great. Amazon did a spectacular job with Good Omens too.

The final season of Orange is the New Black is also out this week on Netflix, so the series is complete and you can binge watch the heck out of it. Stranger Things delivers in Season 3 too.

Fhaol

Promoter
The Boys is awesome! ! I love the concept...I WANT MORE!!! and I havent said that in quite a while!!

huntgod

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds
Promoter
If you like The Boys it is actually based on a Garth Ennis comic, I believe they are available in TPB, so worth checking out. I enjoyed it immensely, just wish they'd closed it a little tighter, the entire season ended up feeling like a setup for season 2, rather than a composed story arc within itself.

I will also second OA, season 1 was good, season 2 ran with the concept and really knocked it out of the park.

Gonna be doing Orange is the New Black finale this week, looking forward to it.

Impastor is actually pretty amusing, only a couple of seasons and worth a gander.

Swamp Thing is surprisingly good, it's a shame DC pulled the plug so early and aren't giving it a second season...whoever made that call so early should be sacked.

Amazon did a spectacular job with Good Omens too.
I thoroughly enjoyed Good Omens. I'd say it was one of the best damned shows I've seen in quite a while.

Swamp Thing is surprisingly good, it's a shame DC pulled the plug so early and aren't giving it a second season...whoever made that call so early should be sacked.
Probably the same guy that keeps greenlighting all the crap-tier shows, and shitcanning everything that is at least half decent. They probably hired that dumbass from Fox.

Mutiny

Unrepentant's Andy Griffith
Community Officer
Started slow but Goliath season 3 was a very good watch. The Good Place season 4 continues to demonstrate why I think it's the best series currently airing.

huntgod

Promoter
I've watched the first two episodes of the new Watchmen series on HBO, LOVE everything about it...

Also Silicon Valley season 6 just started, Mike Judge at his best writing this...such a funny show.

huntgod

Promoter
So watching the new Apple TV shows...

SEE is interesting, unique premise, solid cast, ultimately though feels kind of "meh" given the materials they have to work with and the cool idea, it falls short, but it's worth checking out if you like apocalyptic fantasy.

FOR ALL MANKIND I am enjoying, it's a time I find interesting has a solid cast, well written and I am a sucker for alternate history. If you enjoy 1963, Man in the High Castle and such, definitely worth checking out.

DICKINSON is harder to pin down, I should like this, it feels like someone watched A Knights Tale (which I adore) and thought that would be a cool premise for another series, i.e. anachronistic elements in a period piece, not jousting. I think I may be the wrong demo for it, the anachronisms are not applied consistently and come across as jarring rather than amusing and organically part of the world.

Mutiny

Community Officer
Just finished The Man in the High Castle season 4 (the final season). Really enjoyed it almost all throughout, with only a couple things not really resolving in a way that I found satisfying. Definitely would recommend the entire series to anyone who can stomach the subject matter, which is often distressing and a little too reminiscent of reality at times.

Rhu

Just finished The Man in the High Castle season 4 (the final season). Really enjoyed it almost all throughout, with only a couple things not really resolving in a way that I found satisfying. Definitely would recommend the entire series to anyone who can stomach the subject matter, which is often distressing and a little too reminiscent of reality at times.
I'll agree with this. And also say this: it was very Dick in its irrationally human, painful, cautiously hopeful endings.

[SPOIL]WTF is wrong with you, Yukiko? Childan? I know love is blind, but... Childan? You know what, fine. Fine. I'm fine.

Inspector Kido's turn? Okay. Sure. Sure. It's for family, and he's basically got no honor left to lose, I guess? Except he does, or I'm lacking some cultural context?

Why is a suddenly slightly hopeful plane of existence that is STILL FULL OF NAZIS becoming a destination world for interdimensional refugees? I, uh. Hm. Okay. Sure. I guess there are worse worlds than these.[/SPOIL]

Though speaking of stuff on Amazon: I'll disagree with anyone who said The Boys was worth watching. It was utter trash. Once you get past the, "Oh, we're subverting the superhero narrative and giving you the opposite of what you'd expect at every turn! Ha-HAAAA!" it becomes predictable show of shitheads being the worst possible shitheads, with every SURPRISE TWIST! being telegraphed with frustratingly obvious storytelling devices. Eventually every scene starts expanding in the number of subsequent scenes that it predicts in such a way that you could probably skip the last two episodes and still know everything that happened.

I haven't been this turned off by a show since the third season of Battlestar Galactica.

If all you're interested in is above average cinematography, respectable production values (on a limited budget), a decent punk-infused sound-track, and hammy acting, I guess you're set. If premise, writing, and direction are at all important to you, I'd advise that you skip it.

Further, if The Tick died for this, I'm going to firebomb Amazon.

I still might watch season two. Because I'm invested in my hatred.

The Mandalorian is great so far. I'm planning to start Watchmen soonish, but haven't been in the mood the past few days.

Mutiny

Community Officer
The new season of The Marvelous Ms. Maisel comes out on Friday, just in case that flew under interested people's radar.

huntgod

Promoter
The Mandalorian is great so far. I'm planning to start Watchmen soonish, but haven't been in the mood the past few days.
Yeah Mandalorian is fantastic, Watchmen is also very very good.

For anyone watching Titans, it has a solid second season, up until the last episode which was just stupid...can't express how disappointingly stupid it was, like what were you thinking dumb.

If you like quirky The Wonderful World of Jeff Goldblum is entertaining and fun, it could be more informational, but Jeff Goldblum is just a fun guy to watch.

ObiWanJabroni

Official Coiner of Terms
Community Officer
Picard started off really strong in my opinion. Can't wait for more.

huntgod

Promoter
Picard is great.

Another new show to keep an eye on is Avenue 5.
I love Hugh Laurie, Avenue S did not wow me, but I am happy to give it a few episodes to get it's legs.

I loathed the new BBC Dracula, I might give it another try but the first episode was damn near unwatcheable for me. Which is a shame as I like Moffat on Sherlock and Dr. Who, but man their version of Dracula (which was basically a rehash of Coppola's, which I also didn't love) missed the mark for me.

ObiWanJabroni

Official Coiner of Terms
Community Officer
Dracula is only Dracula in name recognition. The second episode is actually really good, simply because its all about the trip on the Demeter, which hasn't really gotten any love. Other than that, meh. Its saving grace was the guy playing Dracula - he was pretty great (although, arguably, not really Dracula-y; just entertaining in the role).

I look forward to hearing about how much you loathe episode 3.

Top Bottom