Rift Application: Zound (2/2/0)

Which game(s) are you joining us in?
Rift! I still have a WoW account floating around as well and am definitely planning on checking out SW:TOR when it comes out.
Are you over 18? (you must be 18+ to apply)
My son is almost 16. That would be a resounding yes.
Are you a member of any other guild in that game?
Not anymore! I dropped the Guardians like a bad habit.
What is the name of the character(s) you intend to join with?
Zound who is currently a level 50 mage. Blowfish is the name of my newish Warrior.
Do you have friends or family in the guild? If so what is their forum name?
Nope. I don't know any of you. I am endlessly amused by the currently 18 page recruitment thread on the forums for Rift. Naturally, I'm completely devoid of pants and have started burning my neighbors clothing as well.
We're big believers in the "everyone pitches in" mentality. If you want to raid, are you prepared to help organize or lead that raid?
Of course! While I have not ever been a huge leader in raiding I'm sure can toss a group together.
Do you have an issue using Mumble? (Being able to at least listen is critical for active participation in PvP/raids. Note that we don't use Vent.)
No problem using Mumble at all.
Answer the following 4 questions. PROTIP: if your answer is shorter than the question, we will make fun of you for being boring.
1. Tell us the story of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing thing you've ever done: Once upon a time in my youth, I had a habit of drinking creatively colored beverages. Frequently I would start off the evening with Jagermeister and sometimes end with said elixer of life as well. On one particularly pallid evening the wife and I were out prowling on the town. I recall that dancing occurred, sarcasm was had by all and in the end we found our way home. She drove. Natch. Upon arriving in the driveway, I regaled her with jokes in my best inner city vocal imitation. Mind you, I'm a white boy. Extremely white. I blind people with my whiteness and make certain that others do the Humpty Dance correctly. I said to her, "Baby...baby....I'm fiiiine baby. Jus' leave me in the cah. Come oooon woman." She promptly dumped me out of the vehicle, picked me up in a fireman carry and dragged my ass into the house. I woke up naked in the bathroom hours later. I was confused. Our doorknob on the inside of the bathroom often fell off. So there I was, extremely drunk still, on the toilet, naked, it was dark and I couldn't figure out how to escape. Eventually she heard my voice and let me out. Oddly, she doesn't let me forget that tale and often tells it at dinner parties.
2. What is your Zombie Plan? I'm glad you asked. My friend Richard has gone about determining how to use solar powered devices to aid our energy supply. I already work for a food manufacturer and am stockpiling goods in my basement. I've honed my weapon skills and street fighting abilities by greasing up chickens in the backyard. No, I don't fight them. We play "keep away from the flesh eating bacteria" on Tuesdays. The other day my buddies found an old military command unit vehicle for sale. Pretty sweet. We're going to use that for headquarters. I figure that the armor plating should be good enough to keep most zombies out. We'll have to get a steady supply of fuel. I've contemplated the local armory as being a good location to set up base. But that's too obvious. Malls are right out. High rise apartments aren't bad yet my city isn't super huge. Something which could play into an advantageous role. For now, I'm just keeping up the cardio by baiting the salespeople at the office with bonus checks that I keep out of reach.
3. Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming: I took Aiki Toho Iaido for two years, which is a combination of Aikido and Iaido. Certainly was a different martial art form. Also, I can spell "rogue" correctly. Beyond that? I'm an avid gamer. I tend to settle onto one game and play the living crap out of it for years only giving up once I've shaken the last bits of flavor from the desiccated corpse. I'm left handed. I've been playing guitar since I was a teen and was forced to learn piano by my folks. Every so often I still get the bug up my rear that tells me I should be recording tunes.
4. If you were us, why would you vote you into The U?
I'm a good sport, dislike drama of any kind unless she is Greek and extremely hot. I love to play video games. After being at work all day long wrestling with spreadsheets and databases this is my way of chilling out.
Quick survey! We will totally judge you by the answers you give below:
• Favorite Type of Music: Metal. There isn't any other type of music. Some of my favorite bands: Slayer, Iron Maiden, In Flames, Killswitch Engage, Type O' Negative, Fear Factory, Hatebreed, Megadeth, Tool, Five Finger Death Punch, Korn, Darkest Hour, Metallica, Rush, Queensryche. Beyond that I actually really dig Hip hop and old school Rap. Electronica, techno, industrial music, all sorts of things. I've been known to rock out Matisyahu, Rotorsand, Biggie Smalls and the Electric Six all in the same mix.
• Favorite Movie: Hong Kong action theater movies, anything horror. It has to be good horror though which I swear hasn't been made since 1993. I love Guy Ritchie movies. Any of them. Jet Li is awesome and I wish I had the physique of Jason Statham. Fearless is good, the 1st Transporter is fantastic. Lock Stock and two smoking barrels, Reservoir Dogs, In Living Color (not a movie but still awesome).
• Favorite Book: Stephen King is still probably my favorite author. Larry Niven, Terry Pratchet, Neil Gaiman, Orson Scott Card, Brian Lumley, Tad Williams, Greg Bear all favs. Oh! Any book by Andrew Vachss. If you haven't heard of him and you enjoy gritty hard ass novels about detective work, I heartily encourage you to seek him out. Dark stuff.
• Favorite Non MMO Game: I can't remember the last non MMO I played....anything in the Dynasty Warriors series I imagine. Also, GTA or the sandbox style games. Hitman, any of them. Fatal Frame. Resident Evil (not the first two, those are just unplayable.)
• Favorite Role Playing Game: I'm a huge pen and paper gamer. I started playing D&D 2nd Edition way back in the day. My friends and I got sucked into Paladium games when I was in high school. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ninjas and Superspies, Heroes Unlimited were in our regular rotation. We moved on eventually into White Wolf games. I had a long standing history of playing Vampire and then Werewolf. Never got into LARPing though.

Harplager

Promoter
Re: Rift Application: Zound the merciless

Thanks for applying. Nice Start to the app, keep up with it and nurture it. We here at the U like our banter.

What makes Zound so merciless?

Blowfish said:
In Living Color (not a movie but still awesome).
I totally agree. What's your favorite recurring character?

Blowfish said:
Type O' Negative, Fear Factory,
Are they still making stuff? I haven't kept up with them since about 2000.

Blowfish said:
Larry Niven
What would you choose as his best book? I've read stuff from the others, but not from him.

Harplager said:
Thanks for applying. Nice Start to the app, keep up with it and nurture it. We here at the U like our banter.

What makes Zound so merciless?
The completely and unsuspected way in which he expresses anger, surprise and indignation. Usually by offering his enemies a free thesaurus and some dental floss.

Harplager said:
I totally agree. What's your favorite recurring character?
Fire Marshall Bill is the easy answer. Homey the Clown is a definite favorite too. That one character that Jim Carrey pulled out in season one, Vescura Mistress of Destruction? Something like that. He used that same costume a few times where he worse the string bikini. Frightening! I also still giggle over the prison inmate with the "colorful" vocab. Watching the reruns now is amusing since I never remembered all of the guests they had on the show.

Harplager said:
Are they still making stuff? I haven't kept up with them since about 2000.
Fear Factory? Definitely. I stopped actively picking up new releases after Digimortal. I still check out what they are up to. They have three albums after Digimortal too, plus a concept album slated for 2012. Type O of course is now retired since Peter Steele died. Really sad about that one. Amazing band.

Harplager said:
What would you choose as his best book? I've read stuff from the others, but not from him.
I'd recommend Ringworld of the Man-Kzin wars if you can still find them. A lot of his books I read as a kid back in the day. Greg Bear is another favorite author of mine who influenced a lot of my thought processes.

Hey there Zound, really fun start to your app. I enjoyed the humor and stories added in. I found the image of your drunk ass being fireman carried by your wife into the house particularly amusing. Does she still lock you in the bathroom often?

How long ago did you reroll to defiant toons? Have you had a chance to roll with any of our members yet?

Hey Zound:

You mention Neil Gaiman as one of your favorite authors. Have you read American Gods and The Graveyard Book? If so, which did you enjoy more?

ironzerg

Probably Recruited You

So you're walking around in Scarwood, just trying to get some mining done, when a Guardian baby rolls up and steals your node while you're fighting a mob. You're like, "hey man, not cool."

The Guardian baby farts in your general direction, then flags for PvP.

What do you do?

And yes, it's an actual baby, so be creative.

Blowfish said:

Are you a member of any other guild in that game?
I most certainly am. I had the misfortune to be lured to the Guardian side because they had candy. Sadly when I arrived to some place called "Candy Mountain" they stole my organs and replaced them with spandex. (I'm in CARNAGE on Freeholme. But don't hate me for that. Often I dance with Defiants in warfront matches.)

So that's how the Guardians recruit people.......with candy!!!!!!! I knew it!!!

Zounds I really like the app. Was funny and it seems you have a great sense of humor. If you haven't already gotten a chance to get together with some of the U please look me up in game Arki or Physt and we will get you an invite so you can get to play with some of the members a bit.

bushido said:
Hey there Zound, really fun start to your app. I enjoyed the humor and stories added in. I found the image of your drunk ass being fireman carried by your wife into the house particularly amusing. Does she still lock you in the bathroom often?

How long ago did you reroll to defiant toons? Have you had a chance to roll with any of our members yet?
Hey! We're in a different house now. Locking me into the bathroom isn't an option. She has had some passing fancy regarding taking me out using a pillow whilst I sleep. We have a healthy relationship that borders on mutually exclusive cannibalism.

I rolled up a few toons last week. Zound is in the guild but I've only gotten him to 17 so far. Until I get him closer to 50 I won't be adding in the alts. Unless they become my main. Which does happen.

Vuel said:
Hey Zound:

You mention Neil Gaiman as one of your favorite authors. Have you read American Gods and The Graveyard Book? If so, which did you enjoy more?
American Gods, yes. The Graveyard Book, no. American Gods is sheer brilliance in my opinion. So for now I'm going to have to go with that book until I can devour the other tome. I do need to get Anansi Boys (sequel to American Gods).

ironzerg said:
So you're walking around in Scarwood, just trying to get some mining done, when a Guardian baby rolls up and steals your node while you're fighting a mob. You're like, "hey man, not cool."

The Guardian baby farts in your general direction, then flags for PvP.

What do you do?

And yes, it's an actual baby, so be creative.
I'm so tempted to make this response disturbing. I'll save the macabe sense of humor for later on....

First off, there is no way this is a normal infant. The Guardians are just too tricky for that. Knowing that in advance, I'll toss a stun towards the baby and then light the ground on fire. Only after hosing said baby down with some form of accelerant. When he really starts to go up nicely, then I'll go for the knockback and kick him off the cliff.

Heading down to the edge of the landing, whistling as I go, I'll make sure to take out my butchering tools. Because one can never have enough flying ointment supplies on hand....

*whew* Good thing I didn't get too gruesome there. That could have just been weird or uncomfortable.

Harplager

Promoter

Blowfish said:
I took Aiki Toho Iaido for two years, which is a combination of Aikido and Iaido
I took a little Aikido. The instructor also taught sword and tonfa training, so it's not an unlikely pairing. What got you out of it?

ironzerg

Probably Recruited You

Blowfish said:
First off, there is no way this is a normal infant. The Guardians are just too tricky for that.
I like the way this guy thinks.

Kiserai

Community Leader

I like this application. He seems to be making a good impression in guild as well.

All signs point to a good app. WELCOME

now dont screw it up lol

Harplager said:
Blowfish said:
I took Aiki Toho Iaido for two years, which is a combination of Aikido and Iaido
I took a little Aikido. The instructor also taught sword and tonfa training, so it's not an unlikely pairing. What got you out of it?
The school was odd where I took the class. The place itself was for women specifically and the Iaido class was one of only two that males could attend. Our instructor was also male. So we always had this weird sense of being outcasts and our program wasn't exactly treated the same. (i.e. old crappy equipment was all we had access to at the time.) Despite that, I loved it. Aiki Toho Iaido is a form where all of the movements are done standing. Whereas traditional Iaido is done from a seated position, being that the practictioners were guards. At least as I understand it anyway.

We cultivated a ton of awareness, both in the sense of the body and our surroundings. We worked with different lengths of weapons too all the way from a naginata down to a knife. Lots of core strength exercises too. Ultimately I quit because of the person in charge of the school was taking the program in a direction that just didn't jive with me.

Dregmor said:
All signs point to a good app. WELCOME

now dont screw it up lol
Almost there! Almost there....so close.....(just hope they don't find the pictures of the Hello Kitty tattoo)

Kiserai said:
I like this application. He seems to be making a good impression in guild as well.
So far I have to say I find this guild to be hysterical. Even if you didn't accept the app I'd stay around on the boards. I've been in a bunch of guilds over the past four years and y'all approach this app process in a manner that makes sense. Cuz frankly I've made some awesome and close friends through online gaming. And we all want to make sure to check for communicable diseases first.

Loyn

The Lemon Merchant

What is it about our Rift branch that gets people worried about communicable diseases? Am I being left out of something?

Oh and I like the immage of kicking a burning guardian off a cliff. You good sir make me smile.

So are there any other contemporary authors that have caught your attention? Daniel Suarez? Joe Abecrombie?

Loyn said:
What is it about our Rift branch that gets people worried about communicable diseases? Am I being left out of something?

Oh and I like the immage of kicking a burning guardian off a cliff. You good sir make me smile.

So are there any other contemporary authors that have caught your attention? Daniel Suarez? Joe Abecrombie?
Wait, that term doesn't mean diseases spread by word of mouth? Dammit. I've been misled again! I thought it was a positive thing that would cause genetic mutations.
By the time I get this new Defiant toon to 50 I'll be full of unrequited blood lust for Guardians. Believe me.
There are definitely some authors who are considered contemporary that I enjoy. Mostly these days my reading habits are very sporadic. I started attempting to write my own fiction over the last two years and now I'm massively selective about what I read. Why? Because my styles tend to be influenced by my environment.

My current reading selection is from M. John Harrison and is a book entitled "Light". I absolutely adore this book. A strange tale involving great sci-fi action, a serial killer and a woman who is a spaceship. Weird book. I recommend it.

The Book Thief is the other one I have sitting at home to be read. Well that and about six other novels that range from fantasy to non-fiction. I'll generally be reading about six things at once. :) When I do sit down to read I'm fairly voracious.

ironzerg

Probably Recruited You

Blowfish said:
By the time I get this new Defiant toon to 50 I'll be full of unrequited blood lust for Guardians. Believe me.
Show me on the doll where the Guardians touched you. Seriously, anything driving your bloodlust?

I had the privelage of leveling up on a PvP server, so by the time I was 50, I already had my list ready to go.

Top Bottom