Rift application - Vella (3/1/0)

Are you over 18? (you must be 18+ to apply) I have a daughter old enough to join, she's 18. I'm 42. :D

Which game(s) are you joining us in? Rift

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with? Vella, and I have an alt rogue Liselle, my level 22, 300 runecrafter. :p

Do you have friends or family in the guild? If so what is their forum name? No, my daughters still play WoW, but they haven't done seven years like I have.

What follows are a bunch of questions that give us a sense of your personality, and give us something to talk about. If your answers are boring or short, we’ll assume you’re boring (and probably short). Well, I might be boring to some, but I'm not short!

1. Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult. I was working in a pharmacy as a cashier, and I'm tall, 6'2", and I was helping put the drugs away. I had a brand new pair of pants on, and when I bent down to put something on the bottom shelf, they ripped out from about mid-thigh on both sides, right up the ass seam. Then I had to work in them for the next two hours of rush, as it was the time of year when people's Medicare supplements renewed. I had to endure a few comments about my 'airy' clothing, etc. :p

2. What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?) I had a job doing the IT for five small school districts, from 1998-2001. I moved on to a bigger school after that, but, I learned a ton in those 3 years, and the best thing was, I basically owned my own department. The only bosses I had were the superintendents of the districts, and they weren't tech experts, so I got to do my own network designs, set up the servers the way things should be, and I was there for the transition from public IPs to the desktop, to private IPs and firewalls. I learned a lot by doing it.

Worst? I worked for Teletech (outsourcing phone center) taking Geek Squad calls. Sure, I could fix a lot of problems, but the management was just horrible. They even tried to tell people that you couldn't take your break when the time came if the phones were busy. Pay was crap, managers were idiots, etc. I was 40 then, and dammit, I had to pee! Also, I found the company was more concerned with how much you sold rather than service you did. I found a better job up the street doing internet support for a credit card company. A well known one, but I won't name it here.

3. Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?) The original Diablo and Diablo II w/LOD. My God, I spent half my life on these two games, I feel like sometimes. They just draw you in. One more click!
I have a naval sim called Harpoon. The Graphics are still 1985-ish, but they've updated the sonar/radar/etc models for modern computing power, and I can play Admiral or JTF Commander for days when I get the urge. Fleet battles, land-based air, ASW, all of it. I've replayed the Backfire attack in Red Storm Rising a few times, too
Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire - Another game+expansion that led me to the Civ series, but I've never forgotten these two games, and indeed, I have a copy on my HD of this pair, even as old as they are. The story draws you in, and the movies, and the tech details, and the units you could make up yourself, and I could go on and on.

4. Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you. One of my superintendents I worked for at the coolest job above. His name was Gary, but he had his doctorate, so he was pretty anal about being called Doctor. He was such a know-nothing prick type that he just annoyed the hell out of me. Talking with him was 90% a waste of my time, and I hated that. He always had read just enough about what I was doing to be dangerous, and would suggest stuff that just wouldn't work, and then would get impatient with me when I tried to explain why.

5. Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: photo or video supporting evidence is a plus. :D ) I have four kids that my life more or less revolves around, although I try not to let them know that , so they don't take advantage of it. :D I don't know if that's cool, but that's what I am. Of all the titles I've had, Dad is most treasured. I'm also a 42-year-old college student. I was a dumbass and didn't get my certs and degree *while I had the tech job*. I had some health issues and bad downsizing luck, and now I'm having to go back to school to get what I didn't the first time.

As far as pictures, I'd put up a picture of my 18 year old daughter, but, then I'd have to tell you all no, you can't have her number...

6. Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild? I'm looking for a place where I can talk to people and group with people, to get help, and to help others, but not have to punch a clock. I'm a decently skilled raider, but, my MMO life isn't built around raiding anymore. I like Rift's choices, and, the guilds I've found on Gnarlwood have either been A) no one talks, even if nice or B) had to punch a clock/schedule your life around the guild. I'm done with that part of my MMO life. Sure, if I sign up for something, I'll be there unless something happens irl, but, I don't like it being a mandatory part of guild life. I also don't expect people to rain gear on me, and in fact, I usually put more in the guild bank than I get out of it.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some. I spent some time listening in Mumble tonight, and I'll see if I can jump in with you guys on Saturday night and maybe get an invite to the guild to get acquainted in gchat. Mentor (appropriate name) gave me the mumble info, and I listened to he and some others run a Master, and then we did a zone invasion in SS. I'm sure I'll have questions, but those will come up as I get to know you better.

You can call me Mav, or my main's name, Vella, or whatever. I am male, but all my toons are female. Blame my daughters, kinda like what Summers said in his app. I just like the female voices, too. Might be because I have 3 daughters, a wife, and only 1 son. I'm used to female voices! :D

Cheers!

Re: Rift application - Vella

Must be a quiet day, or, no one remembers me from Mumble last night.

Oh well, I'll make sure I get a ginvite and chat with people this weekend.

mavfin said:
Must be a quiet day, or, no one remembers me from Mumble last night.

Oh well, I'll make sure I get a ginvite and chat with people this weekend.
Sorry, it's been very hectic these past two days for me.... but I wanted to pop in and say "HI! Thanks for taking the time to apply." :)

Have you read any good books lately?

dulcea said:
Have you read any good books lately?
Definitely. If I'm not gaming, or working, or doing something with the family, I'm most likely reading a book.

I just finished The Sixth Battle, by Barrett Tillman.

I also read some fantasy books (just look at my character names :D )

I just picked up Locked On, a new Tom Clancy book, but I think it's ghostwritten. At least it has Clark/Chavez and (not so anymore) Little Jack Ryan in it.

The other thing I read a lot about is World War II history. I've been reading that stuff since I was 12, 30 years ago.

mavfin said:
The other thing I read a lot about is World War II history. I've been reading that stuff since I was 12, 30 years ago.
Do you read all WWII or certain geographic regions in particular? I haven't read much WWII history, but I do have a copy of Eight Survived and a few other writings concerning the rescue of the USS Flier survivors and those they ended up rescuing in the Pacific.

dulcea said:
mavfin said:
Do you read all WWII or certain geographic regions in particular? I haven't read much WWII history, but I do have a copy of Eight Survived and a few other writings concerning the rescue of the USS Flier survivors and those they ended up rescuing in the Pacific.
I've been doing it for so long that I mostly read more specific books, but I like to read about all of the areas of the war. I started out really concentrating on the Pacific war, but then someone handed me a copy of Eisenhower's Crusade in Europe, and I wanted to know about that.

What's funny to me is that when I read a new book, I'll see familiar passages and familiar names, and sure enough, books I read 20 years ago will be in the bibliography. :D

Of course, with the WWII veterans getting older, there's a ton of books out there now telling the story in their words, rather than the historian style, because so much of that has already been done.

I had a lot of fun last night (Thursday night) in the 10-man. Nice to run into some more casual people who can do execution fights, even if I don't raid much these days. :D I felt like I was being a leech, scooping up the loot, but, if no one else wanted it, use > shard, I guess.

I'm sure I'll see more of you this weekend, but you probably won't see me on for more than a mail check/dailies tonight, though.

Wow, that makes you sound like an expert... and really old.

Make sure to [s:g96riil6]beg[/s:g96riil6] ask the guildies you run with to come back and post [s:g96riil6]the truth[/s:g96riil6] positive feedback about your time together. Their feedback will help officers that don't have an opportunity to [s:g96riil6]torture you[/s:g96riil6] play with you vote for you.

dulcea said:
Wow, that makes you sound like an expert... and really old.

Make sure to [s:2hxvj9et]beg[/s:2hxvj9et] ask the guildies you run with to come back and post [s:2hxvj9et]the truth[/s:2hxvj9et] positive feedback about your time together. Their feedback will help officers that don't have an opportunity to [s:2hxvj9et]torture you[/s:2hxvj9et] play with you vote for you.
I'm no university expert, just a guy who grew up before the internet and had access to lots of books. :D

Was in the ten man the other night and I'm not a game play expert or one who is to concerned about people's gear but he came in and helped fill a spot and it was a blast.... We all had a few rough spots but then pulled it together and 1 shot the final guy and it was pretty intense... I haven't raided much so I'm new to fitting in as well but it was and I hope we can run more.... Seems like a really good fit for the guild...

Squibbs

Just a side note... Thinking about my last post.. It may sound wrong when reading but I wasn't trying to say anything about gear but was just pointing out that he jumped right when we were short a person... Hope it doesn't come across as me being an ass >:)

I understood what you meant. You all knew that I had only been 50 about a week, and didn't have all the focus yet, but I also bowed out and didn't take up a spot till you would have been 9-manning it anyway after someone else had to leave. :D

I was also in the raid and had some good times and enjoyed his company on mumble; he seems to know his stuff (and when he doesn't he is upfront about it) and look forward to grouping with him when i get back to the game.

You seem to be of the same mindset as alot of our playerbase as well, almost all of us have done the hardcore raiding thing to some extent before, now we know how to have fun while doing it and that's why we're here.

Thanks very much for the kind words!

I might have been around the block in a raid once or twice. I was the guy they always put a big raid marker on when we did Heigan. :D I'm a little rusty these days, but, I really hate the feeling of being a burden to people, so I always try to do my best on what I can control. I couldn't control my gear state after only a week of 50-ness, and, that's really controlled by how much time I put into a toon in a week, but I could control my execution of the fights. :D

I usually take a try or two to understand the mechanics, and sometimes you just get unlucky, like the first boss I was on, I didn't run close enough to him to start, and got blown over the cliff ten seconds in. Embarrassing, when you're trying to impress, of course. :D Stuff happens.

mavfin said:
I usually take a try or two to understand the mechanics, and sometimes you just get unlucky, like the first boss I was on, I didn't run close enough to him to start, and got blown over the cliff ten seconds in. Embarrassing, when you're trying to impress, of course. :D Stuff happens.
no worries, i had you with my battle rez.. and besides Yennik did exactly the same thing right after i rezzed you :p

Sorry I didn't post sooner, I was out this weekend. Mav did well on the raid, both by learning the fight mechanics and not being frustrated. He fit in just fine with the rest of the group and it was hard for me to tell he was an applicant and not a member. (Hint: Remind us you're an applicant so we can come here sooner and fill everyone in.)

I think he fits the same mold of an ex-hard raider who just wants to enjoy the game.

Mav, you seem like a Tom Clancy fan, as you know the clark/ryan novels. What's your favorite book by him? I'm a pretty avid Tom Clancy reader myself, though I have yet to read the latest.

Selonna said:
Sorry I didn't post sooner, I was out this weekend. Mav did well on the raid, both by learning the fight mechanics and not being frustrated. He fit in just fine with the rest of the group and it was hard for me to tell he was an applicant and not a member. (Hint: Remind us you're an applicant so we can come here sooner and fill everyone in.)

I think he fits the same mold of an ex-hard raider who just wants to enjoy the game.

Mav, you seem like a Tom Clancy fan, as you know the clark/ryan novels. What's your favorite book by him? I'm a pretty avid Tom Clancy reader myself, though I have yet to read the latest.
I think my favorite of the Ryan novels is still Hunt for Red October, but the first one I ever read by Clancy was Red Storm Rising, and I still love it. I read Larry Bond, too. (Vortex, Red Phoenix, Cauldron) Of course, I also like the two that star John Clark w/o Ryan (Without Remorse and Rainbow Six).

Yeah, I've been through too many raids to get too frustrated over it. I have to see a fight a couple times to 'get' the mechanics sometimes, and then even if I do my part right, others have to catch up on their part, which may be harder than mine, like the other night. (IMO) Ranged DPS is the easiest role in the raid, and that's what I was doing that night. Some nights it all works, some nights you just bang your head on the wall. That's just how it works at the more casual level in my experience.

Ok, so while we're talking about books, I've covered World War II and Clancy/Bond type books that I read. The other genre is fantasy.

I've already created one of each class, one set on a Defiant server, one set on a Guardian server. I just like to try everything out when I get bored of the main. Some of these toons aren't even 15 yet, but that's not why I'm bringing them up!

Their names are:

(Guardian) Keshi, Prala, Andine, Zelana

(Defiant) Vella, Liselle, Moghedien, Mallenroh

Keshi is a name I stole from Neverwinter Nights, and was the name of my first WoW toon, a warrior, and is the same in Rift, but, the other names are all from fantasy books, five from the same author.

For fun, anyone want to name the authors and/or books if you've read any of these, or the names ring a bell?

And for extra fun, why would I name a pet class's pet 'Grat' more often than not?

[spoiler:1k758yjh]Prala, Vella, and Liselle are from the Belgariad and Malloreon series by David Eddings
Andine is from The Redemption of Althalus, also by Eddings
Zelana is from the Elder Gods series, again David Eddings

Grat: After Belgarath (same series as the first 3 names) is attacked by Grul, a nasty troll-like monster who wants to eat him, and can't talk very well, as Grul is sitting there cut open by Belgarath's dagger, Belgarath tosses him a needle and thread to sew himself up with, and Grul says "'Grat is not nice!", since 'Grat is all he can manage of 'Belgarath'. :D

Moghedien is one of the Forsaken in the Wheel of Time series

Mallenroh is one of the witch sisters in the Hollows in The Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks.[/spoiler:1k758yjh]

I can't answer any of the fantasy questions as I never really read fantasy novels. I think clear and present danger is one of the best books since it is the first real interaction between Clark and Ryan. I think the development between the two flagship characters in that book gives it more substance than some other books where Clark is, at best, a tertiary character. I'm pretty happy with all of the books and once I read them by publishing date, I've gone back and reread them chronologically to see the differences.

I think Without Remorse is one of the best books Tom Clancy published. Rainbow Six was a great read and led right into a pretty good mini-series with co-authors and spawned a great video game franchise, but it really didn't do as much for me as Without Remorse did. The back story of such an interesting character in John Clark is really a fantastic read. When you read half the book and then read Without Remorse (as I did since it was published mid-series) it is like a hundred light bulbs going off that say "aha!".

I saw some of your alts on the last couple days, sorry I haven't had a chance to run with you other than the raid. Sometimes life is a real kick in the pants!

Did a couple more runs with the guys tonight. Just hoping to get some more comments on the app. :D

Top Bottom