Rift Application - Gnarlwood - Chytrine

Which game(s) are you joining us in? Just Rift. Can only afford one game at a time. xD

Are you over 18? (you must be 18+ to apply) Yup. At least, that's what my driver's license tells me :p

Are you a member of any other guild in that game? Currently yes by name of Rehab. It was a situation of a few players who knew each other needed signatures for a charter. I agreed and just never left. Of the two other people who log on either they do so rarely or our play schedules are opposite each other.

What is the name of the character(s) you intend to join with? At the moment, just Chytrine. (Though I tend to be an altaholoic so that will most likely change in the near future) She is a warrior, currently Champion/Beastmaster. Out of the other MMOs I've played (WoW, Aion, Age of Conan, Flyff) she is the first melee I've been serious about. I don't really know much about playing her but I intend to learn.

Do you have friends or family in the guild? If so what is their forum name? I have one friend in the guild (no family), EternalNight. We've been RL friends for a long time and suggested I take a look over your charter/rules. I love the team work intrinsic in MMOs and try to keep an eye out for a fun, casual guild that can get things done when they put their minds to it. It boils down to having fun for me. I was a raider in WoW attempting to be on the serious side for the last 3 of the 5 years I played and it really made my life miserable. Finding a constructive, friendly environment I can participate in is really what I'm looking for nowadays.

Did you read our charter and rules? Which rules translation was your favorite? I did read the rules and I must say, Swedish is by far the best, followed closely by Pirate. If I didn't play from bed I would have fallen out of my chair I laughed so much reading the various translations. A very very close third would be the French translation. In high-school (yes that was many years ago) I went all the way through the AP course. While my vocabulary has diminished greatly my general grasp of the language has not and I enjoy attempting to keep up with that through any media I can. French is a beautiful language, rich in cultural significance and history and I simply love it.

Do you have an issue using Mumble? (Being able to at least listen is critical for active participation in PvP/raids. Note that we don't use Vent.) No problem at all. From what I've seen after googling it the quality is better than vent and anything that is better than Ventrillo is good in my book. :D Though there may be times where I cannot respond vocally I am always able to listen.

Answer the following 4 questions. PROTIP: if your answer is shorter than the question, we will make fun of you for being boring. I'm made fun of constantly, mostly by myself. I think I'll be ok. ^_^
1. Tell us the story of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing thing you've ever done:
Well I can't think of anything specifically relevant s1o let's just go with this one. For set-up, I am a slight caffeine addict. By slight I mean, I drink easily a liter/liter and a half of Mountain Dew a day. That doesn't include supplemental intake depending on what needs doing that day. When I worked at a cyber cafe, some of my co-workers thought it would be funny to see if I could go cold turkey for a week. I agreed on the condition that I get 3 Magic The Gathering booster packs should I succeed. This bet was no caffeine intake at ALL, not just soda. No caffeinated beverages, foods or anything else. After the first day I had the standard (for me) ice-pick through the head behind the eyes headache. After a few days I couldn't feel temperature anymore and had a wicked hard time processing basic tasks. I went from regular amounts of sleep to sleep-work-sleep. I even got a bit shaky towards the end. But after that 7 days, I was able to go without any caffeine at all. My first action when it was over? I downed a bottle of Dew in about a minute. BEST. FEELING. EVER. XD
2. What is your Zombie Plan?
My college is small and one of the buildings is raised up (the campus is very hilly). The only access to this building, which houses the cafeteria btw, is a hallway on either end and an elevator from the ground floor. I know a few gun savvy people, a nurse and some people with various other useful post-apocalyptic skills. We will barricade ourselves in, severing the suspended hallways and rigging the elevator so it doesn't work but is still viable as an escape/exit for foraging. We will then wait it out as the zombies (presumed dead people) are subjected to the elements and continue the biological function associated with death: rotting away. Once they have ceased the ability to move around or even stay in one piece, my friends and I will emerge, track down other survivors and restart civilization to the best of our ability. Assuming it is viral of course. If it's some kind of black magic or voodoo, we all screwed. At that point the philosophy stops being survival and becomes save at least one bullet for yourself.
3. Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming:
Something cool not having to do with gaming? Well there goes most of my material. XD Well, I am into alternative fashions. Two specifically out of Japan, Lolita and J-Punk. Lolita is a fashion that popped up in the 80s and 90s in response to women being sexualized. It basically says I can be cute and feminine without looking like a sex toy! It draws a lot of inspiration from the Victorian and Roccoco periods. I knew about lolita for a while, and then I found out that you could do a Punk version so I finally made the jump into wearing it. Not every day, but if I could I probably would. Mixed with the odd J-punk (or any other punk fashion) here and there, of course. :D The REALLY cool part though is that at Anime Central this year in Chicago, I actually MET the designer of my favorite Punk Lolita/J-Punk brand h.Naoto, Naoto Hirooka! He was super nice, and very very dorky. XD He even remembered me later when I ran into him away from his vendor booth. ^_^
4. If you were us, why would you vote you into The U?
I would vote me in because my favorite part of MMOs is getting together with people of similar interests and doing things, whether instances, world events, or just silly guild morale things. I love just chilling with people in guild, chatting it up or helping out with group quests/farming mats etc. I love being part of a community of people, not just a guild of players. I'd like to think I can handle things maturely if need be, though my first priority is fun and humor not serious face. Insomuch as it isn't offensive, of course. No one has fun when someone is offending others. =(

Quick survey! We will totally judge you by the answers you give below: Oh? Then let's begin the fun. :D
• Favorite Type of Music:
Favorite? Right now that would be a combinations of heavy metal and industrial. Though there is a smattering of orchestral metal, romance goth metal, swing, big band, and fantasy metal in there too. It really all depends on my mood, and as long as it isn't rap I will probably enjoy it. Though to be fair, the Beastie Boys will always hold a special place in my heart. <3
• Favorite Movie:
Moonstruck. Hands down, without even thinking about it. Followed closely by Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. And after that, there are very few movies, TV shows, animated shows, anime etc that I don't like. I love watching movies and such. Usually I will have a show on in the background while I work on something (if not music) and I am always okay with wasting a day laying around watching things on the TV, solo or with a movie buddy. If I had to pick a favorite actor though it would be Nicholas Cage. That man is so quirky and silly, I love about every movie he's made. XD
• Favorite Book:
I can't pick one. I love works from Terry Pratchett to Tamora Pierce to Terry Goodkind to Mercedes Lackey to Patrick Rothfuss, and even Orson Scott Card. I can name a favorite genre, however. Fantasy. I love fantasy, and some sci-fi. Though any book in which the adults act like actual adults and not just large adolescents will win me over. Historical fiction is also pretty fun, most of the time. ^_^
• Favorite Non MMO Game:
A tie between Magic the Gathering and DND 3.75 (pathfinder version, compatible with 3.5). Though in both cases, I don't like where they are heading. In Magic, the cards are getting more and more powerful with less and less balance, making the only counter an even MORE powerful card. Where as DND 4th edition seems to be care bear, which is fine for those of the RPGers who are just starting. It's fantastic if you haven't played DND before or haven't played it often or just aren't terribly good at the game when so much was available in 3.5. I'll admit that with all the content, it could be overwhelming and difficult. That being said, the thing I dislike about 4th edition (the deal-breaker in fact) is that you can't be nearly as creative with your characters. It is difficult for a sufficiently advanced and skilled player to test his boundaries and play to his maximum. The set up is very limiting, and while those limits in 4th edition are fairly vast, when you have enough experience it becomes something like walking, secure in your knowledge that you can go anywhere and do anything, and then hitting a glass wall that won't let you continue no matter what angle you attack it from.

Chytrine said:
No one has fun when someone is offending others.
Unless you are Doa. But we <3 him here, he offends people in the funniest ways.

Otherwise, I like the application. She is a real life friend that I have had for about 8 years. Gamed with her, laughed with her, ...done other things with her. She is pretty cool, I think she will fit in. If any of you think I am a worthy member of the U, I think you will find the same of her.

Chytrine, best of luck.

EternalNight said:
If any of you think I am a worthy member of the U, I think you will find the same of her.
Yeeeaaaaaaaah. Look, we've been meaning to talk to you about that...

Naw, just kidding. App looks good, EternalNight obviously coached you well.

Oof, I can sympathize with the caffeine addiction thing. I was starting to get a bit like that, I was always so insistant I wasn't an addict, once went a week without anything as a bet just to prove it. And at THAT time, I apparently wasn't... cut to a couple years later, I was traveling the Western US by bus with a friend, and a particularly long stretch I ended up going with caffeine for 24 hours. IT SUCKED SO BAD. My head hurt like a bitch and the tiniest thing would have me on the edge of tears. It was ridiculous.

Kiserai

Community Leader
A good application and friendly in Mumble. This will probably be a quick one :)

Excellent app! Night has definitely given you a run down of what we look for. Nice to hear you enjoy both the gaming and social part of this. That is what the U does. Hard core in game? Not so much.

My one request...if you can give me a decent Night speech impersonation on mumble, insta yes vote!

So he finally [s:1jt4mf7n]tricked you into[/s:1jt4mf7n] convinced you to apply huh? Good stuff! I like the app, it's a good read. Besides the alternative fashion, gaming, and keeping the makers of Mountain Dew in business, what other hobbies do you have?

No Caffeine for a week?! Lords alive? and you made it too...grats to you girl..I woulda down'd a few bottles of caffeinated water or something on the side just to avoid the headache..sheesh..now that's commitment. Love the app!

Chytrine said:
We will then wait it out as the zombies (presumed dead people) are subjected to the elements and continue the biological function associated with death: rotting away. Once they have ceased the ability to move around or even stay in one piece, my friends and I will emerge, track down other survivors and restart civilization to the best of our ability.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but unfortunately the undead are not subject to the normal rules of decomposition. But seems like a solid plan otherwise. We're gonna need pics for the fashion part though because some of us (mainly myself) know absolutely nothing about the various styles within the world of fashion.

Yea, he finally got me to apply. He's been crafting me lvl 50 gear as incentive for about a week. XD

As for other hobbies? I cross stitch and read a ton, but gaming and Lolita take up most of my time as it is, so I have very few. Fishing too I suppose, since I live right near a stocked pond. ^_^

And if the zombies are not biological in nature...I suppose I would grab a gun, survive as best I could and always save one bullet for myself. That's why the good guys always turn in the movies, they can't take themselves out. >.<

So do you make a lot of your clothes yourself or just max out credit cards at the "Hello Kitty" store? /end ignorance of fashion

Once again, great app so far. Still waiting to catch you online in order to get an Eternal Night voice impersonation!

I am extremely jealous that you live near a stocked pond. I love fishing and I don't spend enough time doing it. What kind of fish do you catch there? I think I could go trout fishing every day for the rest of my life and call it a good one. Is cross stitching anything like quilting? We have someone here who does a lot of quilting.

So is there something I can search for on google to find an example of this Lolita Fashion? I know better than to type lolita into google unless I'm sure the wife's not around. :lol:

Mainly I catch catfish, I tend to let my hook sink pretty far down. There's also bass, large and small mouth, bluegill I believe and I think they stock it with trout like once a year. As for cross stitch, it's kind of like quilting in that they are both a kind of needlepoint crafty thing. You basically use X shaped stitches to recreate images and patterns on a grid-like woven cloth. I use the counted version where you reference a pattern, but you can find kits that print the image already on the fabric.

As for examples of Lolita...you could google Elegant Gothic Lolita, which would give you more of the fashion than the fetish. >.< We have a community on Livejournal and a board on 4chan. Yea..../cgl/ is cosplay and gothic lolita. You can usually find threads there of good examples of various styles.

So I spent a few minutes looking up the fashion in which you mention. Very interesting! It appears to be a hybrid french maid/alice in wonderland style with a bit of goth thrown in. Really fun, thanks for broadening my scope a bit :)

Had brief interaction with her today running some rifts and she was enjoyable and happy to assist. Thanks again for joining our merry band!

Yeah I checked into it too, it's pretty interesting. What brought you to that? Maybe it's just my sheltered lifestyle but I probably would never have encountered this if not for your explanation, so how'd you find it?

Well, I've known about it for a while (due to dabbling in Japanese culture things when I was a teen) but my boyfriend has connections in the lolita communities here in IL. It was through him that I actually finally got started on learning exactly what was what and where to buy the clothes and things like that. I even found out that one of my best friends from jr high is a lolita as well, and we are starting to reconnect through the fashion. It's pretty awesome. ^_^

You said you liked industrial music, so I thought you might like to watch this interview:

[youtube:16580vaj]ZJ_Kb4Kzkao[/youtube:16580vaj]

It is with Genesis P-Orridge, one of the founders of Throbbing Gristle, the band that coined the term "industrial". Still one of the best, too, imho.

I know you were getting close to the level cap there. Did you make it? Have you had a chance to run with any members yet?

The app looks good, I'm looking forward to seeing you in-game. I had to google all of this as well—Throbbing Gristle is pretty darn weird, though I kind of like the name.

Thanks for the link, it was pretty interesting to watch. :D

Yup I hit level cap two days ago. I planned on being online but work decided against it. >.< I did get the chance to run a t2 though. I got roflstomped. Not sure what I was expecting, but it was definitely more challenging than that. I am looking forward to more runs though, I'd like to try to get better and not die every boss next time, heh.

Top Bottom