[Rift] Application for Cirrhosis (need 1 off branch vote)

Which game(s) are you joining us in? Rift.

Are you over 18? (you must be 18+ to apply) Yessir, or ma'am.

Are you a member of any other guild in that game? That's a negative, Ghost Rider.

What is the name of the character(s) you intend to join with? Cirrhosis

Do you have friends or family in the guild? If so what is their forum name? Not yet, who wants to get hitched?

Did you read our charter and rules? Which rules translation was your favorite? Aye, Yorkie to be sure. Cor Blimey!

Do you have an issue using Ventrilo or Mumble? (Being able to at least listen is critical for active participation in PvP/raids) Negative on both accounts.

Answer the following 4 questions. PROTIP: if your answer is shorter than the question, we will make fun of you for being boring.
1. Tell us the story of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing thing you've ever done: I used LiveJournal for a while once. I thought it would be interesting to use for creative writing, but then I posted about my roommates pissing me off and that I was moving out; one of my roommates "followed" my "journal". Posting on the internets that you're going to move out before talking with your roommates makes living with said roommates a little difficult. That killed that friendship for about 3 years.

Another smooth move would have to be work-related. I've worked in IT for over a decade, got in pretty much right out of high school (so I'm not that old!), but there's always something new and that's what keeps the job fresh. I was working for a national law firm when Microsoft put out one of those out-of-band, PATCH IT NOW--GIT TO ZE CHOPPA, patches. We had just purchased a brand spanking new patching platform, nothing simple like WSUS and I had orders from the director of IT and the security manager to get the patches on servers immediately. So, I get the patch lined up, appropriately scope the desired servers to target and fire it off. Now one of the out of the box features of this application, which I KNEW about, was that it defaulted to "reboot immediately after installing". I had created a policy that would deploy the patches, but not reboot, previously and like any well thought out plan...forgot to apply it to the patch job. So, one fine afternoon while everything was right with the world, everything came down...all at once. Once I saw the first server go down, my heart dropped into my stomach, followed by approximately 40 other servers dropping whatever they were doing and rebooting. I probably got 15 calls in 3 seconds, the director of IT came over asking why email went down, a partner with his name on the wall asking why none of his documents would open--or save for that matter and three remote offices calling with a loud "WTF?". I was the only one in IT that afternoon and it took me about an hour to get everything back up and working correctly. It was painful.

2. What is your Zombie Plan? I'm a methodical guy. I've thought of what I would do in SHTF moments, a zombie apocalypse is no exception. It would be a highly tactical and efficient affair for me.

I'm a married man, with two beautiful daughters. My immediate plan would be to get everyone from where ever they were and get them close to me, speeding through intersections splattering the mindless half-dead if they got in my way. Once my family was safe I would begin gathering all of the necessities: food, water, medicine if I could find it and ammunition--any I could find, regardless of what weapons I had on hand. It is an absolute fact that you will start with a pistol, find a shotgun, then an automatic rifle, then at some point find some sort of energy weapon that no one ever knew existed. I'm banking on my Mr. Fusion to fuel the latter.

Once we're supplied, we'd have to pick a base of operations. Our current home would be a good place, somewhat easy to fortify and defend, but it's in a residential area--a target rich environment for a BFG to be sure, but in the beginning it may be too many zombies too soon. If the homestead isn't an option, the next logical place would be a gas station outside of town: there would be short-term food supplies, cigarettes (don't really smoke, but if you gottem...) and gasoline blow torches to melt zombie faces off with. If one of those aren't available I would have to resort to an isolated, gated, mansion.

Regardless of our accomodations, security becomes first priority. Blocking entrances, barring (if possible) windows, padlocking/bolting/barricading doors, etc. Once the house is secure and there is enough ammunition, I would go on perimeter zombie hunts to thin the herd. If there aren't any zombies around you, you have time to make a coffee pot radio to communicate with the allied forces while the wife and kids dig an escape tunnel just in case we are set upon by the germans, I mean, the zombie horde.

Eventually with communications online, I would hope to be able to communicate with other survivors of the zombie pestilence and rejoin the social order. Naturally if that were to be a cannibalistic despotism I'd stay home...

If it did come down to my last bullets and the end was nigh, I would tearfully make sure that my wife and children did not live on as mindless rotting psuedo-corpses. I would then go down with the ship, to borrow from nautical parlance.

3. Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming: I can speak in manifold accents and do impressions, which will make Vent a pleasant place for people who think that Sean Connery plays Rift. I also am a diehard Liverpool Football Club fan, I spend wayyyy too much on television so I can watch one, or if I'm really lucky, two matches in a week. Maybe that should be in the "dumbest thing..." section?
4. If you were us, why would you vote you into The U? Because I help out, I actually like gaming with people and the camaraderie that ensues. I normally try to get people to play together, instead of sitting in my corner and doing my own thing. That's why you're in a guild, amirite? I'm also a solid guildie, even though my first priority is to my wife and family, I usually can make a schedule work (if there's end-game/organized stuff to do). Otherwise I group up, head out, slay interweb dragons, or pee vee pee, depending on who's on and what people want to be doing with their recreation time.

Quick survey! We will totally judge you by the answers you give below:
• Favorite Type of Music: A single type? I can always do rock 'n roll, Queens of the Stone Age type stuff...anything but Nickleback.
• Favorite Movie: 1) Star Wars 2) Shawshank Redemption 3) Princess Bride 4) Fellowship of the Ring 5) Blade Runner
• Favorite Book: A Game of Thrones.
• Favorite Non MMO Game: Starsiege: Tribes

Re: [Rift] Application for Cirrhosis

I have good news and bad news, Cirrhosis. I'll start with the bad news first 'cause I'm evil like that.

Your story needs some serious love. You might delve into the depths of your memory for another or expand on this one until it actually says something about you but you've got to do something. We want to get an idea of who you are. Help us do that

Your zombie plan is horrible. We use this to get to know you as well. Right now, it's not working in your favor. I have faith though: you can create an interesting and unique zombie plan if you put your mind to it. So, get to it!

krycis said:
Because I don't suck, I help out, I actually like gaming and camaraderie. I normally try to get people to play together, instead of sitting in my corner and doing my own thing. That's why you're in a guild, amirite?
I think you might get what we're about here at the U but I can't quite be sure so I'll spell it out a bit. I apologize for the re-hash if you were already well aware: We're a community of friends who like to play games. Actually playing the games is just one way for us to hang out together and have a good time. Because of this, we won't be voting based on how you play. We'll be voting based on whether we think you'll fit in with our unique brand of insanity.

Good news?
You can edit your app and make me look like a fool. In fact, we encourage it. Flesh out your answers and give everyone an excellent first impression!

Man, Sepoy is a nitpicking ogre!

[s:299zes2r]Forgive my brevity. I was hoping to get my foot in the door, while shirking work, getting that written. At this point I just spent 18 hours working, bad day, but I'll gladly recant as soon as I can think straight. Hopefully the delay won't make everyone think ill of me, for I must drink--I mean--game with people that shirk conventional thought regarding the need of legwear.[/s:299zes2r]

When you get the chance to update make sure you edit your main app so people who are new to seeing this won't think badly and then have to rebound with a reply post of awesome.

You got off lucky that Sepoy was in a good mood. That story and zombie plan are weaker than Liz Taylor's pulse! (too soon?)

From what I read it looks like you skirted work for about 4.2 minutes. The upshot is in that time frame you managed to answer every question, even if a couple were short.

Check out the accepted apps and when you get a chance to reformulate your story/zombie plan also hit someone up for the vent info or whisper a guildie in game for an invite. The app is only a part of the process, we also have to meet you in game/vent and see what you're like.

krycis said:
Forgive my brevity. I was hoping to get my foot in the door, while shirking work, getting that written. At this point I just spent 18 hours working, bad day, but I'll gladly recant as soon as I can think straight. Hopefully the delay won't make everyone think ill of me, for I must drink--I mean--game with people that shirk conventional thought regarding the need of legwear.
My original app was much the same way. We don't require perfection when you walk in the door, just that you're able to roll with the initial smack-down ;)

Sorry to hear about the day. What do you do for a living that makes you work 18 hour days (you know, so I can steer my children away from such horrors)?

At what point in your life did you realize conventional thought wasn't for you?

Not bailing when the first response is negative is a good thing for sure. And as sepoy mentioned, you can just edit your app and leave everyone thinking that he's just a nitpicking ogre and that your app seems fine. As far as forum activity, it's important, but we don't have stopwatches out timing how long you take between responses. (We can see that in the forum tools anyway :lol: ) Looking forward to the revisions!

Do you do accents, or do you do impressions? Or...do you do both :eek: And of course, the obvious question is when are you going to regale us in vent with this amazing talent of yours!

Sovya

Unrepentant Social Coordinator
Maestro

It is a good start. We just need more so we can get to know you better :D

And I'm sorry you had a poopy day, hopefully its better now

sepoy said:
My original app was much the same way. We don't require perfection when you walk in the door, just that you're able to roll with the initial smack-down ;)

Sorry to hear about the day. What do you do for a living that makes you work 18 hour days (you know, so I can steer my children away from such horrors)?

At what point in your life did you realize conventional thought wasn't for you?
I'm a Unified Communications consultant. I deal mainly with Microsoft Lync/OCS, either replacing or supplementing an existing system. That night I was replacing a phone system, which went flawlessly...until I had to get the telco involved. They ended up taking down a 24/7 service desk's 800 number, which was working, to fix the local main number...which they never did, I had to use some black magic just so we could go home.

krycis said:
Man, Sepoy is a nitpicking ogre!

[s:1l7dn12d]Forgive my brevity. I was hoping to get my foot in the door, while shirking work, getting that written. At this point I just spent 18 hours working, bad day, but I'll gladly recant as soon as I can think straight. Hopefully the delay won't make everyone think ill of me, for I must drink--I mean--game with people that shirk conventional thought regarding the need of legwear.[/s:1l7dn12d]
:lol: :lol:
Well played.

I hate relying on tech support. Sometimes you land the person who's a master of their field and can help you quickly solve any problem you've ever had. Most of the time though, you end up with the person who can almost spell the product you're asking about. Hate.

I would have thought that telco's would provide the first kind of support to their commercial partners but evidently you too suffer. Glad to hear your black magic was up to the task!

krycis said:
Favorite Movie: Princess Bride is up there
Kids these days..
I didn't ask "what was up there" dammit! Give me the favorite! And then, as penance, list your top 5. That'll teach you.

Are you using Netscape 3.0? My top 5 has been there for days. :?

krycis said:
:pissed:

Still can't pick a favorite eh? "Star Wars"? Which one..?

Shawshank Redemption was pretty cool. Not really something you'd sit down and think "hey, I'd love to see that again" though. Not something you're looking for in your favorites I guess?

By football I'm assuming you mean the one with the goalkeepers? We get confused around here, you need to be specific :p

krycis said:
I probably got 15 calls in 3 seconds, the director of IT came over asking why email went down, a partner with his name on the wall asking why none of his documents would open--or save for that matter and three remote offices calling with a loud "WTF?". I was the only one in IT that afternoon and it took me about an hour to get everything back up and working correctly. It was painful.
Only an hour? Damn man, your voodoo is strong. While I was reading I was worrying this was going to be one of those patches that borks the machine so bad you have to roll it back. Hence the general wisdom of testing on a select few machines at once. That would have been horrifying. Mmm, I'da had a great laugh about it though :lol:

sepoy said:
I have good news and bad news, Cirrhosis. I'll start with the bad news first 'cause I'm evil like that.
Aw, you're not evil - you're just picky :) (or is that ewe's not fat ewe's fluffy? i get confused...)

Cirrhosis - know any good drinking songs? or stories? I figure with that name... :shock:

I ran around with him all afternoon questing and rifting it up ..we ran into Saucy and brought him into our group too.

Very cool guy, laid back, funny as hell.

Figured out Mumble all on his own even though he didn't have access to forums for how-to's :)

p/s: ty Magus for trying anyway :) <3

krycis said:
I can speak in manifold accents and do impressions, which will make Vent a pleasant place for people who think that Sean Connery plays Rift.
Fair warning, I have already laid claim to the Sean Connery impersonation here in the U. However, I can see a "Dueling Connerys" routine as a possibility too. Hmmmm. :D

Bear is teh awesomez though.. I can totally see him being the godfather of all Connery impersonations :)

BearODice said:
However, I can see a "Dueling Connerys"
The gauntlet has been thrown!
The winner will have my [s:5kwxnrbv]hand in marriage[/s:5kwxnrbv] vote.

Yes it was good fun with Kri and the Sauce yesterday, too bad I couldn't have stuck around longer! Favorite, Star Wars: Episode IV, A New Hope. That is implied: Empire is Empire and Return of the Jedi is Return of the Jedi; A New Hope is Star Wars.

Dueling Connerys, yesh!

By the way, someone buy Krimoire some ice...for christ sake, how can you drink a daiquiri without ice?

krycis said:

I must say, this comment alone entertains me enough to say I like the guy, and I haven't grouped with him yet.

And really, how do you drink a daiquiri without ice? I'm curious too. ;)

krycis said:
By the way, someone buy Krimoire some ice...for christ sake, how can you drink a daiquiri without ice?
I wound up freezing the alcoholic strawberry mixture and got a slushi out of it the next day! :-O ..was nomarific. :)

Yeah.. lazy roomie ftl.

Top Bottom