Neverwinter App: Mythlond (3/1/0)

Would you have a drink with them? (the results have no bearing on whether they get in or not)

• Total voters
Membership Application
Are you over 18? (You must be 18+ to apply.)
Yes

Which game(s) are you applying in?
Neverwinter

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with?
Perceval@mythlond2

Do you have friends or family in the guild? If so what is their forum name?
None so far.

So... let's talk! What follows are a bunch of questions that give us a sense of your personality, and give us something to talk about. If your answers are boring or short, we’ll assume you’re boring (and probably short).

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
I'm not sure I can remember "the most" embarrassing thing that I've ever done, but I can relate to you the story of last Saturday. My lady and I took our two dogs to the park. They are playing around with the other dogs and my GF and I are talking with another couple, who are total strangers. My dog is just chilling nearby...and suddenly he walks up and pees on the other girl.

Leg up, four solid seconds of pee.

I was fucking mortified.

Fortunately, she was cool about it. Or was polite enough to lie that it was no big deal. (Cynically I suspect the latter)

But you want a drunk story, don’t you? Okay maybe a tame one.

This was years ago, about '99-00. My roommate was an assistant manager at the local brewpub, and we always had tons of free beer around. One night we got drunk and at the end of the night, I decided I wanted to watch some TV and have some ice cream. But all we had was a big tub of orange sorbet. Same difference at this point. So I plop down on the couch with the bucket in my lap, turn on the TV, and go to town on the sorbet.

It was probably 9:00am when I woke up.

Warm sorbet soup...everywhere. Legs, crotch, stomach...coated in dyed-orange sugar.

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
Coolest:

I was Photo Editor of my college newspaper for a year. It was cool to finally get up to the management level. I got to go to all the editor meetings and hear the behind the scenes discussions. And while I didn't do it often, I occasionally bogarted the best assignments for myself. Also, there were a lot of really hot photographer girls that year.

Worst:

One summer I volunteered at the local animal shelter and I literally cleaned up shit. In the morning you let the dogs outside to eat. While they are out you pick up the shit, then bleach the kennel and rinse. Then you let the dogs back inside for the daily visitor viewing, and repeat the cleaning for the outside. Lastly repeat the whole process at the end of the day! But it wasn’t all bad. By the end of the summer they had someone else doing it and I just played with dogs all day

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
This is kind of a hard question to answer as there are many older games I’d love to play again, but I just can’t get past the technology leap to do so. For example, one of my favorite games is Ultima 4. I had played 2 and 3, and was looking forward to more swords and sorcery, but the inclusion of the virtue system was just a game changer – literally. No other game had tried anything like that at that point. I had such a great time playing it. I even wrote a guide on how to complete the game as efficiently as possible using a Paladin. I wish I still had that, could have been one of the first gamefaqs! And I’ve tried playing it again, I get about an hour into it and just say “no way”.

The same is true for other greats like Wing Commander, and the old AD&D games by SSI, like Pool of Radiance. I’d tell you I’d play a game like Morrowind over and over, but then Oblivion and later Skyrim came out, so I played those, instead. Same with Call of Duty, etc.

So here’s the best list I can come up with:

1) Star Wars – Original arcade version with the vector graphics. While I don’t get to the arcades much anymore, if I see this one, I have to play it. I’m a Star Wars nerd, and in 1983, this was the coolest thing ever. Has to be the one you sit in though.

2) MarioKart 64 – Obviously on Nintendo64. This was a huge college game
for me and my friends. We had lots of side rules and customs as happens with a close knit group of guys. So lots of good memories. The Wii version isn’t as good and the choices of different vehicles kind of kills the inherent advantages one character has over the others in the original. I could rule with Toad.

3) AD&D – Second Edition. Technically Star Frontiers was my first pen and paper experience, but ultimately I played a lot more D&D over the years. I would still play today, but as I’ve gotten older I just dont find many people who have the time. Why second edition? Well, I grew up with it (and we even stole some rules from first edition), so it’s the way I know best. I like some of the things that changed in 3 and 3.5, but to me, rules updates should be changing how the game is played, not the inherent aspects of the game. How this pertains to video games is that I play basically every D&D game that comes out. I've liked some, and there are some I didn't like, but overall as a genre I keep playing them.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
I’m sure there has been someone/thing more annoying, but I used to sit across the cubicle isle from this guy who just annoyed the shit outta me. He’d show up every day mid-morning (part timer), and break out this bag of shelled peanuts. He’d then begin to eat them, one by one. Each peanut he would hold in his fingers, and then bite it perfectly in half with his front teeth. It makes this surprisingly loud pop/crunch. I found it gross, as I really don’t like hearing people eat. He’d do this for about 20 minutes, then he’d have an apple (the loudest of all fruits). Then back to the nuts. Then another apple… like a pound of nuts and 3 apples per day. The intestinal fortitude of the man, impressive.

He’s actually a really nice guy.

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
1) I own a sailboat named "Blow Me".

2) I play bass in a band called the Three Piece Orchestra, or '3PO' for short. (Sometimes people say "3PO"? and we respond "Si, 3PO"). I would generically call us a jazz-fusion band. No one sings, so to paraphrase Spinal Tap, our appeal is rather selective.

3) I'm a huge music fan. I have been since I was a kid. I enjoy many types of music because what I listen for is real talent in a given song. From the songs musical construction, to the music skills of the performers, I appreciate the time, dedication and talent it takes to be a great musician. If you have skill, I'll like your stuff, no matter the genre.

4) I'm big into craft beer. I live near Denver so I go to the Great American Beer Fest every year. My main style is IPAs. I enjoy lots of other styles, but I really seek out IPAs wherever I travel. My favorite is Pliny the Elder.

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
While I do love gaming, I've always enjoyed playing with friends more. I have played games long past enjoyment simply because I wanted to keep playing with my guildmates. In addition, I’ve looked through this site, and l like the attitude here. My last guild was just so saccharine. I’m not looking for Barrens chat, but can someone at least say “fuck” now and again?

And honestly – I’ve looked over some of the accepted and rejected applications (some are hilarious, I love the “I tried, you didn’t” threads) - and I actually wanted to put myself through the process. Seemed like it would be fun.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
What was the last major drama issue the guild dealt with, and what was the resolution?

Which of the 8 virtues of the Avatar is the most important?

Favorite beer? (I will try not to be too harsh a judge)

What song do you just hate, and why?

Almost done!

do you wear pants?
Yes

Welcome to the application process,

We don't take a lot of things serious around here, but if its one thing its the application process. It is here so that both sides can see who they are and find out if we are a good fit for each other or not, and if Unrepentant is the right place four you.

You'll notice people with different colored names. Orange names are officers in Neverwinter. The other colors represent officers in other Branch games. While all members give impact on whether or not they think we're a good match, the officers will vote on your application. In your title, the (0/0/0) is your votes. The first two numbers are Yes votes. You need 4 to be a member. The last number is No votes. Three No's and your application is rejected.

A good way to get an starting idea about how this works and whats ahead of you is to take a look at the accepted and rejected applications, some are funny to read, some are just.. well, better get some popcorn or a bucket, depends on the application. Another good read is the FAQ and the Guild Rules.

When you are ingame hop into our channel /uey (type channel_join uey) and ask for an guild invite. We also have mumble for voice chat, and although its not mandatory at all it helps to get to know you.Details should be in the FAQ, password you get by tell or pm when you ask for it.

Also I will remind you to stay active here in you application, on the forums, thirsty troll tavern is a great place for that, and of course ingame

I LOVE the fact that I'm finding so many people here who have a tabletop D&D background. Even when I used to play DDO not many people had ever rolled The Dice for real

... rolled The Dice for real
This sounds weird, but I miss rolling dice. I still have all the dice from my last regular D&D crew. I had my standard set in this green-marble color, eight standard six-siders (was a Wizard), a special d100 left over from my Star Frontiers set I used for rare occasions, and a blue d20 with a chip in one corner I used for saving throws. There were a few extra that I needed here and there.

I had a lot of roll moves, too. Left hand, two hander, back-hand, open hand drop, long distance, backspin... all just things to improve your luck. It might seem weird, but when you call for your big attack, and you roll that 20.... :-D

ironzerg

Probably Recruited You
I haven't had a solid pen and paper group in years. It's one of the things I miss. There's just something about getting a bunch of people around the table to eat pizza, drink beer and pretend your a lithe elf maiden.

And not just any lithe elf maiden but a lithe elf maiden with a Charisma and Comliness of 20 and a +3 vorpol needle which was just as deadly as their comeliness :D Although by far my favorite character to play was a Chaotic Neutral Dwarf with no social skills. In one session we were almost arrested because I decided to show up to breakfast entirely naked and started helping myself to the nobleman's breakfast as it looked better, urinating in his cup didn't help the situation much. Ah the good ol days of pen and paper. I loved dice, especially when I was DM'ing I had my special dice which when I took them out the party was like "Ah shit man we're screwed now" (they always rolled incredibly well for me so I saved them for those special occasions for making the group get back on track).

I loved dice, especially when I was DM'ing I had my special dice which when I took them out the party was like "Ah shit man we're screwed now" (they always rolled incredibly well for me so I saved them for those special occasions for making the group get back on track).
One of my favorite tactics was to reach into my dice bag and pull out dice one by one for a while at random times in the game and watch the players reactions. Or, pick up about 10 d6s and roll them all at once but only count 3 of them.

ironzerg

Probably Recruited You
Ah...always loved the DM trick of rolling a bunch of dice behind the screen when someone asked about something, having them stare at you, then going "Hrm? What? Oh, nothing. Keep going." :icon_double-finger:

Or trying to break people's meta gaming. Ancient and ornate door handle, carved to look like a dragon rearing back to breath fire? Yeah, that's actually just a normal door knob. But facepalming while the group takes 20 minutes arguing back and forth about who was going to open the door, even after exhaustively rolling to find out that it is in fact just a really ornate door knob.

And of course that vial of thick, black viscous fluid you found on the dead archmage is a healing potion . The wizard just really liked the flavor of licorice. What's wrong with that?

Or the mock Book of Vial Darkness, that when opened was hollow, and contained a half empty flask of elvish whiskey ;)

In the 2nd Ed days it was waaaaaaay easier to fudge stuff as the DM. But in 3 - 3.5 you had to spend a lot of time creating fleshed out NPCs that follow the same rules as the PCs.

We had this Tower of The White Mage we'd pull out every once in a while and tell the PCs that they could bring in anything they wanted, but the DM could use it too. So, one player decided he was going to bring in a machine gun. So, I brought in an army of kobolds with 400HP a piece touting machine guns. Guess who won :D

One of my favorite statements by a PC: "I want to make a wish!"

The random rolling of dice was made even more fun if you handed out folded up pieces of paper with random things written on them (i.e. don't worry, nothing happened or your balls suddenly feel itchy or you feel an overwhelming desire to urinate and if you don't do so in the next 5 minutes you will have embarrassing stains on your breeches).

The random rolling of dice was made even more fun if you handed out folded up pieces of paper with random things written on them.
Another DM staple. Sometimes your character is favored by his deity and gets a boon, or sometimes "someone" need to get the DM a beer...

Thanks Doyler for the invite and some fun CTA runs. I was hoping to have time to play tonight, but things came up. Also - I'm out hiking tomorrow in the Garden of the Gods with the lady and the boys, and then to Trinity brewpub. Hope to see you this weekend.

Warm sorbet soup...everywhere. Legs, crotch, stomach...coated in dyed-orange sugar.
So... sorbet is supposed to be great for cleansing your palette. Did you feel as though your undercarriage was properly cleansed afterward?

On to a more standard line of interrogation:
1.If a widespread conflict erupted between ninjas, pirates, zombies, aliens and Batman, which side would you throw your allegiance behind and why?

2. What ingredients and toppings form the perfect burger to your taste?

3. Would you rather be able to run at 100 miles per hour, or fly at 2 miles per hour?

4. If you could dine with one film celebrity, one star musician and one renowned politician, who would they be and why?

5. Clowns- source of fun entertainment or secret child eating sexual deviants?

3) I'm a huge music fan. I have been since I was a kid. I enjoy many types of music because what I listen for is real talent in a given song. From the songs musical construction, to the music skills of the performers, I appreciate the time, dedication and talent it takes to be a great musician. If you have skill, I'll like your stuff, no matter the genre.
Tell me some of the songs you enjoy the most. I don't think I ever paid close enough attention to a song to determine whether the musicians had talent or not, but perhaps that happens instinctually. I like music which suits my emotional mood. I'm seeing a Pink Floyd tribute band (Brit Floyd, they're really, really good!) a week from tonight so I was listening to lots of PF this morning on the drive in to work. That music just moves me...
What was the last major drama issue the guild dealt with, and what was the resolution?

I won't go into specifics about past drama, but will let you know how we handle issues that arise in the community.

We encourage the members of the U to deal with personal drama via Private Messages, or in a Mumble channel. We're all grownups here, and passive aggressive behavior will get called out pretty quickly. If you have a problem, tell that person, and work out together how to deal with it.

If this doesn't work or isn't an option, the second step is to involve an Officer in the branch where the drama is taking place. Whichever officer is best suited to work through the drama is the one who gets to reach out to those involved. We have different personalities, time zones and demeanors. Our branch leader, Ironzerg, will get involved as needed. The officers know that this is part of our job description, and we encourage members to reach out if they have problems.

If the branch officers cannot resolve the issue, or if the drama is bigger than the branch, then we call in the CLAGM. CLAGM are the Community Leaders (Foulsoul and Dao Jones, purple names) and the "Green Machine" (Kiserai, Bushido, Fosco and Stonar, they of the bright green names). They will listen to all the evidence -- including screen shots if anything happened in chat -- and will speak to all the parties involved. A decision is then made about the appropriate action to take. Part of why we ask our applicants to go through this rigorous (but fun!) application process is that once you're in, you're in for life. It is always the very last resort to remove someone from the Unrepentant Community. Our Rules/FAQ are listed for all to see. If a member is unwilling or unable to follow the few rules we have, then they would be encouraged to find a different gaming community. We have a really, really good thing going here, so long term drama really isn't tolerated, as that will erode the joy that is Unrepentant. :p

So... sorbet is supposed to be great for cleansing your palette. Did you feel as though your undercarriage was properly cleansed afterward?
It cleaned up well with some hot water in the shower, so yes, the was probably some exfoliating going on there. It was certainly nice to free up things in the undercarriage.

On to a more standard line of interrogation:
1.If a widespread conflict erupted between ninjas, pirates, zombies, aliens and Batman, which side would you throw your allegiance behind and why?
A toughie, but ultimately I'd go with aliens. At least in my mind, they would have a technological advantage that would allow them to crush the other factions. The pirates, while dogged and relentless, simply have no weapons to fight aliens. Zombies are just a horde to mow down. Yes, the ninjas would get in some great assassinations of high level aliens and their human cronies, and probably be able to hold out the longest, but I still see an alien victory. And Batman would likely be the aliens priority number one, but after a long war of attrition, he'd fake his own death and disappear to Italy with Anne Hathaway. Alfred would be there.

2. What ingredients and toppings form the perfect burger to your taste?
Well I have to cut down on red meat, so I make turkey burgers now. I mix mine with this Smokey Serrano hot sauce. Turkey sticks a little more than beef, so you need to make quick. At the end of grilling I top with super sharp white cheddar cheese. Then on to a non-toasted bun with ketchup, topped with only lettuce and tomato.

The burger is a little spicy and has a great smokey flavor.

3. Would you rather be able to run at 100 miles per hour, or fly at 2 miles per hour?
I gotta go with flying. Yeah that's slow, but it still allows flight. There are just too many advantages to that.

4. If you could dine with one film celebrity, one star musician and one renowned politician, who would they be and why?
I've been thinking on this and cant decide. I will get an answer soon.

5. Clowns- source of fun entertainment or secret child eating sexual deviants?
Secret child eating sexual deviants all the way. I never liked them a kid because of this scene in Poltergeist, and it seems many kids still feel the same way today. And of course, there's Bart's Bed - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va_GyIHlRfc

doyler

NWO Guild Leader
sorry it took so long to get to your app but we had some great cta runs on friday percival did a great job and kept up with a few powere runs look forward to more runs

Well for a politician, I would go with Ronald Reagan. I'm not really a very political person, and my personal views straddle the isle, so to speak. I was a kid when he became president, too young to really understand politics. What I always admired about him was how he spoke. He was an excellent public speaker, very practiced, confident, and with a hint of a slightly out of date vocabulary. Obviously, his many years as an actor benefited him in this role. But Reagan also revealed his emotions when he spoke, something few recent presidents have done. He also wrote several of his major speeches, which is also not usually done. So for those reasons, I think he'd make an excellent dinner companion. He'd have stories, and he'd tell them well.

For the musician (a very crowded field for me), I would go with Frank Zappa. I've been through many musical phases in my life, and 2000-2003 was almost all Zappa. I don't listen to him as much as I used to but the real reason I'd invite him is that he's known for being a very intelligent conversationalist on a number of subjects outside of music. I remember watching his testimony in front of the Senate. Zappa was campaigning against what eventually became the "explicit lyrics" warning label on CDs. I think people were surprised that this 'rock star' was actually an intelligent, well spoken person, who had concerns about his family and how he provided for them. I remember one of the Senators thinking Zappa so deviant, that he was surprised to hear Zappas kids played with toys, like all regular children. I think Zappa then invites the Senator over to his house for dinner. Some of the transcript are a great read.

The actor I need to bend the rules a little. While he does appear in some films, George Carlin is primarily a comedian. I got into Carlin at an early age, as I had both older brothers, and HBO. I found his acts to be hilarious. He had wickedly smart jokes, a range of expressions, and a great knowledge of society. And language. As a kid I loved the language. He'd be able to speak on a number of subjects, and of course provide a measure of comedy to what could otherwise be a stifled situation.

Tell me some of the songs you enjoy the most.
Well I have many favorites, because just like you, I also like music to fit my emotional mood.

Ive listened to many types of music over the years. As a kid, my dad would always play 50s -60s jazz when he got home. Then my older brothers got me into the Beatles, and then The Who. I had a long Clapton / Allman Brothers phase, then I was into the Grateful Dead. A friend got me into Phish next, and then years later it was Zappa. There have been others in between. I grew up in the grunge era, so I have a love of many of those bands.

The music I'm into now is the funk style of New Orleans. I've been going to the New Orleans Jazz Fest for the last few years, and am going again this year! The level of music skill down there is incredible. There's so many different styles...blues, rock, funk, soul, gospel... all and more mixed together. The average band there is GOOD. Even the kids are into it, they all seem to know how to play at least one instrument, and there's just a prevailing style to the region. Probably the most popular funk bands out of NO are The Meters and Galactic.

As for some songs:

Pass It - Papa Grows Funk (Live at the Maple Leaf) - While the song itself is good, this live version is incredible and shows one of the things I love about Nawlins funk - the tight solid groove. The breakdown jam section is the real gem and showcases PGF doing what they do best. They just keep amping up a little bit at a time, adding a little more, but the core groove never changes. Its skill and practice, but also something more, a little magic if you will. I loved going to see these guys live, even flying to a few cities last year for their farewell tour.

http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Live+At+The+Leaf/6358902

High Cost of Low Living - The Allman Brothers Band - A wonderfully written, soulful rock song, and certainly my favorite of the fourth chapter of the Allmans, as I call it. I have many favorites over the different lineups of the band, but this song is special. Great lyrics (and I'm not a lyric guy), and excellent phrasing. A nice and even tune, even during the solo jam, it never overwhelms the dynamic. And the solos are just amazing. Warren Haynes has been a favorite since he first joined the band, and if you like guitar and you don't know Derrek Trucks, check him out. Even if that's not your style, his skill level is impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WQqeDUSg14

(Its at this point I'd like to say the autosave feature is awesome on this forum. And apparently if you accidentally drop an mp3 into Chrome it starts playing it.)

Song for Bilabo - Michael Brecker with Pat Metheney (Tales from the Hudson) - A quick moving jazz number originally by Metheney. Brecker covers it with Pat, and its a great showcase of modern NYC style jazz (and speaking of city, there's always been a SimCity vibe to this track to me). Brecker is just amazing on the sax. Kids, if you want to learn how to play sax - learn this solo! Such a patient player. Metheneys solo is amazing as always.

http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Song+For+Bilbao/2KYRhv?src=5

As for the Floyd - they are an all time favorite. To me they are both a musical standard, and recording standard. (I do enjoy a bit of hi-fi audio gear, and one of the songs I use to judge audio gear is In the Flesh from The Wall. Like all PF recordings of that era, its just exceptionally clean and balanced. That song in particular has great dynamics, culminating with the plane at the end.) As musicians they are really on their own level. Excellent songwriters, masters of their craft, and geniuses in the studio. Most of what I like is with Gilmore and Waters, '70-'79. I enjoy the later Floyd, but removing Waters sort of changed the soul of the band.

I have heard of Brit Floyd, and know them to be good. I love how there's also an Australian Floyd. Every country should have a Floyd and there should be like a battle of the bands. Surviving members can judge. People would say - "I know Peru Floyd is awesome but I think Greenland is gonna win this year!" Around here we have Wish We Were Floyd. They are really good, some talented guys and gals. Its just a side project band I guess, but usually every year or so they play around Denver.

Enjoy your show!

So Calleana refuses to tell us what the mask the man in her GiF is wearing or where he is going, what do you think it is?

What would you do?

Oh and Calleana, thank you for answering my question. From the sounds of it, there's very little drama here, which is always welcome. And I love the name CLAGM. Sounds like a force to be feared :D.

Also, I meant to post these before.

Here's the Blow Me, in all its winter storage glory. That was its name when I bought it. While clever, I'm thinking of changing it to Serenity. I wanted to get back into sailing to help my stress levels, and of course, Firefly rules. I want to get someone to paint the logo in the font the show uses.

And here are "the boys". Thats Dave in front, he's an Akita / Husky / Ridgeback mix. He loves spots of light, so he takes great pictures, as he knows the flash is gonna go off. The dog in the back is Foster. He's a Doberman / Dalmatian mix. He's very angry looking in this photo. I named him after a AD&D gnome wizard I played for years, who is himself named a joke about Foster Grant sunglasses I liked.

Top Bottom