Neverwinter App: iamtylerhakes (4/0)

Would you have a drink with them? (the results have no bearing on whether they get in or not)

• Total voters
Membership Application
Are you over 18? (You must be 18+ to apply.)
Yes

Which game(s) are you applying in?
Neverwinter

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with?
Run The Jewels@iamtylerhakes

Do you have friends or family in the guild? If so what is their forum name?
Nope =(

So... let's talk! What follows are a bunch of questions that give us a sense of your personality, and give us something to talk about. If your answers are boring or short, we’ll assume you’re boring (and probably short).

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
Hahaha...oh man, where to begin?

- On my 21st birthday, I stumbled from bar to bar after they had closed, demanding free shots, until my friend was gracious enough to drag me back to my apartment.

- One of my friends let me use his car (a very nice, expensive Jeep) one time to run to the store. On the way back, I was behind a car and thought he had pulled forward through an intersection, but I was apparently distracted, and ended up rear-ending this guy in a car that was not mine and was not insured to me. It's the only car accident I've ever been in that was MY fault.

- I was washing my car one time and it has a bunch of bug and road grime on it. I decided that I was going to use a Scotch pad (the sponges with the green tough side and the yellow softer side) to scrub it extra hard and get it off.

It worked great--until I finished washing my car and let it dry, at which time I discovered that I had sanded off the clear coat in spots all around my car with the green abrasive side of the pad.

- I bought a new car online, through eBay, and had it shipped up here from Florida. When it arrived in Iowa, in the middle of winter, on one of those giant car-moving trucks, it was so cold that the guys hydraulic lines were frozen. He couldn't move the ramps to my car off. We stood outside with a hand-held butane torch for 2 hours heating up the metal on his truck so that he could operate the ramps and I could get my car.

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
My job right now is pretty awesome--I work in marketing for a edtech startup company. Basically, I manage a team of folks who write a bunch of cool blog posts, do outreach and training with school counselors, and try to help kids find the right college.

Worst job - I worked as a relay operator for deaf people in college, overnight. I spent much of my time calling prostitutes for deafies and/or getting hung up on by people who didn't understand what "relay" meant.

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
1. Ocarina of Time - I feel like I was sort of birthed on this game. I still love the puzzles and the challenge of beating it, plus the nostalgia of playing it as a kid. I'm really interested in the folks who do the speed runs, too.

2. Marvel V Capcom 2 - In my opinion, one of the best fighting games ever made. Love the characters and the animations. Very balanced overall and just a lot of fun.

3. Runescape - I spent many, many years playing Runescape. I don't really "replay" it, but even now, I am 5+ years removed from playing regularly, I still have a hankering to log in and see what's new every few months.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
Annoying people to me are just people who are rude or overly arrogant. I am pretty open minded and get along with almost everyone, but if someone is being openly disrespectful to other people, I will usually step in and tell them they're being inappropriate.

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
I spent about 3 years running an online underground rap magazine. In that time, I interviewed a bunch of rappers from around the world, and got to work on a lot of fun and interesting projects.

We put out a mixtape series that was download probably about 100,000 times in total.

Key word here: Underground rap. I hate most mainstream rap that you hear on the radio. So, yeah, I am a "rap snob".

Also--I live in Des Moines, IA, which is ~2 hours away from Toppling Goliath Brewery, aka one of the top-ranked breweries in the world. So, if I have some fellow craft beer fans out there, I'm happy to hook up some trades.

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
I have been scoping out guilds for a long time, and when I constantly see your name come up, it's always attached with something fun or cool.

Just today, I saw you guys take down the dragons in Strongholds and it really just seemed like everyone was working together and having fun.

I'm not a super-serious or competitive gamer. I work a ton of hours, so when I actually DO have time to play for a bit, I want to be part of a group that will be active and fun to be around. I'm hoping this is the place for me!

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
What events or memories have been the most fun at Unrepentant? (Specifically, in Neverwinter)

Do you guys usually play most throughout the week, on the weekends, or when?

I saw a photo that looks like you guys had some kind of meetup--what's the story with that?

What other games should I check out if I like Neverwinter? I'm not a huge gamer these days, but I always have my eyes out for new, fun games.

What are your favorite kinds of beers?

Almost done!

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
The wooden sword--because it's time to go save Princess Zelda, of course!

Gwynn

Community Officer
Community Officer
Hey Tyler - can I call you Tyler? Welcome to the app process!

I'll give you a quick run down on how this works.

Because Unrepentant is not just a guild in Neverwinter, but a large gaming community, there are going to be community Ufficers (folks with the gold colored name) voting on your application. It's pretty likely that some or most won't even be playing the game you're applying for so...

1. Stay active in your thread. We use this application process as a means to get to know you, and for you to get to know us. We want to make sure you're gonna be a good fit for the community, so we take it pretty seriously. The more active you are here, the faster this is gonna go. Other excellent options for getting to know folks are mumble (our voice chat client), other areas of the forums (Thirsty Troll Tavern) and of course, your game of choice.

2. If you haven't already done it, head on into game and type:

/channel_join Uey

Let folks know you're a new applicant, and grab yourself a guild invite. We like our applicants to be in guild during the process so that we can see who's on and associate a name in game with a name on the forums. To that end, we ask that you also hit G to pull up the guild interface, select the Roster tab, and include your forum name there as well (even if it's the same as your character or account name). A guild invite will also allow you to participate in the Stronghold fun with us.

3. Don't be shy about chatting folks up, and especially don't be shy about letting them know you're an applicant. Because of the nature of our community, there are often old members coming and going, and someone may assume you're returning to the game to check out the latest/greatest mod. If you do something with someone (say, run some HEs or a dungeon or something) and you've had a good time, go post about it. Ask your fellow guild mates to go post in your thread. We *want* you to. And while it's going to be leadership voting on your application, we rely *heavily* upon member feedback (the folks with the red names) and hold it in high esteem, so a YES from those guys can easily mean two or more votes from someone with a funny pee colored name.

So now that that's done, I'll answer your questions.

What events or memories have been the most fun at Unrepentant? (Specifically, in Neverwinter)

I'm old, and my memory fades pretty quickly. The most fun I've had in Unrepentant was more recent. I'm having a blast with Stronghold content (even if it can be a bit grindy at times) and love running around our Stronghold doing HEs in a large mob. Those dragon events are also a blast. I also went to Ueycon in 2014, and that was a ton of fun as well.

We play on weekdays and weekends. There's pretty much always someone on, because we have members from all over the world. There are times when you'll see more online presence than others, but you'll get the hang of it. There's nearly always something to do.

I saw a photo that looks like you guys had some kind of meetup--what's the story with that?

That was Ueycon 2013! Those are a blast! I went in 2014 and I hope to be able to go again next year (I missed this past year).

What other games should I check out if I like Neverwinter? I'm not a huge gamer these days, but I always have my eyes out for new, fun games.

Oh man, I can't even start. I've dipped my toe into a lot of games, both multi player and single player. I'm really looking forward to Fallout 4 in November, but Neverwinter mostly has my attention right now. The great thing about the U is that if you get tired of one game, you can always hop into another and you don't have to go through the trouble of finding a guild. There's nearly ALWAYS someone cool to play with. SWTOR is getting a lot of attention right now, and we have some pretty faithful folks in ARK now as well, but I'm sure Rhal will pop in any moment and plug GW2's new FTP status :D

I love dark beers, but alas I've had to give up the beer. I stick to wine and cocktails these days.

Hello Tyler, and welcome to application-ing. Tell me about underground rap. I'm an indie rock guy myself, so the only underground rap I come across is that which has some favor in the indie crowd (Run The Jewels comes to mind, as well as Das Racist and Atmosphere) or occasionally some Nerdcore. Or that genre-defying entertainer extraordinaire, Mr. B The Gentleman Rhymer. Who should I be checking out that has some brains and can go far beyond lyrics about partying, ho's and money?

Also, tell me about your love of beer. Bell's is my #1 brewery, and my favorites tend to be stouts and porters. I also have a thing for Belgians, Chimay in particular. Reminds me, it's Sunday afternoon, hot out, and I could go for a beer! Make it so. :D

ironzerg

Probably Recruited You
I don't listen to rap, but I have some friends who are super into it. If I had to pull one link out of no where, and say, "hey, have you heard this?" what would that magic link be that would instantly garner me the respect of all my rap friends?

Hey Tyler - can I call you Tyler? Welcome to the app process!

I'll give you a quick run down on how this works.

Because Unrepentant is not just a guild in Neverwinter, but a large gaming community, there are going to be community Ufficers (folks with the gold colored name) voting on your application. It's pretty likely that some or most won't even be playing the game you're applying for so...

1. Stay active in your thread. We use this application process as a means to get to know you, and for you to get to know us. We want to make sure you're gonna be a good fit for the community, so we take it pretty seriously. The more active you are here, the faster this is gonna go. Other excellent options for getting to know folks are mumble (our voice chat client), other areas of the forums (Thirsty Troll Tavern) and of course, your game of choice.

2. If you haven't already done it, head on into game and type:

/channel_join Uey

Let folks know you're a new applicant, and grab yourself a guild invite. We like our applicants to be in guild during the process so that we can see who's on and associate a name in game with a name on the forums. To that end, we ask that you also hit G to pull up the guild interface, select the Roster tab, and include your forum name there as well (even if it's the same as your character or account name). A guild invite will also allow you to participate in the Stronghold fun with us.

3. Don't be shy about chatting folks up, and especially don't be shy about letting them know you're an applicant. Because of the nature of our community, there are often old members coming and going, and someone may assume you're returning to the game to check out the latest/greatest mod. If you do something with someone (say, run some HEs or a dungeon or something) and you've had a good time, go post about it. Ask your fellow guild mates to go post in your thread. We *want* you to. And while it's going to be leadership voting on your application, we rely *heavily* upon member feedback (the folks with the red names) and hold it in high esteem, so a YES from those guys can easily mean two or more votes from someone with a funny pee colored name.

So now that that's done, I'll answer your questions.

I'm old, and my memory fades pretty quickly. The most fun I've had in Unrepentant was more recent. I'm having a blast with Stronghold content (even if it can be a bit grindy at times) and love running around our Stronghold doing HEs in a large mob. Those dragon events are also a blast. I also went to Ueycon in 2014, and that was a ton of fun as well.

We play on weekdays and weekends. There's pretty much always someone on, because we have members from all over the world. There are times when you'll see more online presence than others, but you'll get the hang of it. There's nearly always something to do.

That was Ueycon 2013! Those are a blast! I went in 2014 and I hope to be able to go again next year (I missed this past year).

Oh man, I can't even start. I've dipped my toe into a lot of games, both multi player and single player. I'm really looking forward to Fallout 4 in November, but Neverwinter mostly has my attention right now. The great thing about the U is that if you get tired of one game, you can always hop into another and you don't have to go through the trouble of finding a guild. There's nearly ALWAYS someone cool to play with. SWTOR is getting a lot of attention right now, and we have some pretty faithful folks in ARK now as well, but I'm sure Rhal will pop in any moment and plug GW2's new FTP status :D

I love dark beers, but alas I've had to give up the beer. I stick to wine and cocktails these days.
Thanks for the run down! I'll definitely hop on tonight and get my guild invite. I'm excited. :-D

I will definitely be checking out some of these games. Do you guys play on other platforms, by the way? I still have X360, but have been flirting with the idea of picking up a XBO.

Where do the Ueycons usually take place? I am always looking for excuses to travel/take vacation. Haha.

Hello Tyler, and welcome to application-ing. Tell me about underground rap. I'm an indie rock guy myself, so the only underground rap I come across is that which has some favor in the indie crowd (Run The Jewels comes to mind, as well as Das Racist and Atmosphere) or occasionally some Nerdcore. Or that genre-defying entertainer extraordinaire, Mr. B The Gentleman Rhymer. Who should I be checking out that has some brains and can go far beyond lyrics about partying, ho's and money?

Also, tell me about your love of beer. Bell's is my #1 brewery, and my favorites tend to be stouts and porters. I also have a thing for Belgians, Chimay in particular. Reminds me, it's Sunday afternoon, hot out, and I could go for a beer! Make it so. :D

I think you and I will be friends.

So, first of all, Bell's is also my favorite brewery--Two Hearted is my favorite beer of all time. I was just up in Lansing a few weeks ago for work and actually stayed in Kalamazoo so I could hit the brewery while I was in Michigan. Fantastic! I was also really impressed with their food. I didn't expect it to be quite as great as it was. Surly and Toppling Goliath are probably tied for second favorite breweries.

I enjoy stouts/porters as well, although I have to admit that my knowledge there isn't very deep. I'm mostly a hophead. I've also been really into sours over the last two years or so. I REALLY like a good Gose. If you have a chance, check out Destihl's Here Gose Nothing (it's in green cans).

*rubs hands together*

Suggesting rap to people who are not rap fans is one of my all-time favorite past times. I like converting people. I'm glad to hear you're hip to some of the staple artists. (You may have noticed my character name--Run The Jewels. ;))

So...let's see...

Shad - Rose Garden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-mAMH5S6VA - Great beat, great lyrics. Hard to beat this track.

P.O.S. - Drum Roll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfo-EGDBEAY - If you're into heavier stuff, you'll probably really dig P.O.S. he's sort of a punk/rap hybrid.

Doomtree - Low Light Low Life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biIFvAQP34w - Related to the above (P.O.S. is a member of Doomtree and on this track), listen to some of the lyrics here. It's a bit political, but lots of metaphors and wordplay.

Astronautalis - Contrails ft. Tegan of Tegan & Sarah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N4YeNYbU5I - Astro is known for being sort an indie rock/rap hybrid.

CunninLynguists - Enemies with Benefits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsFL17DvOIA - More of a pure rap track, but lots of good content.

Okay, that's all for now... Come back and tell me which ones you liked best and I can point you toward more.

I don't listen to rap, but I have some friends who are super into it. If I had to pull one link out of no where, and say, "hey, have you heard this?" what would that magic link be that would instantly garner me the respect of all my rap friends?
Howdy!

So, this is a tough question...it depends on what kind of "rap fans" your friends. I'll give you a few options.

1. If your friends are sort of classic/old school heads (big Wu Tang/Biggy/Tupac fans, etc), then they'll probably be impressed if you know of an older artist who put out new music lately. In that case, I would suggest Mos Def's new track, "Sensei on the Block". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ-1xK76FMk. A lot of older heads are sort of heralding it as the comeback of Mos Def (aka Yasiin Bey).

2. If your friends are more "modern" heads, i.e., listening to the newer generation of rap, then I would suggest "Jukebox Joints" by A$AP Rocky ft Kanye West. I really didn't think I would like this at all (it's a bit too poppy and money/cash/hoes for my normal taste, plus, ya know, Kanye), but I ended up finding it quite hilarious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EoKjzYBmsU

3. Lastly, if your friends are more like me and keep their heads in the underground, then my suggestion would be...either Oddisee - The Goings On (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGIhGVjtdaM) or yU's "Memory" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8bL-7UcTLE). Neither of these tracks are new, but both artists came up together and they are criminally slept on. See also: Mos Def for this group of friends.

Last edited:
iamtylerhakes said:
I think you and I will be friends..
Get in the van, poppet!

I appreciate the rap advice! Here's my feedback so far--
iamtylerhakes said:
Shad - Rose Garden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-mAMH5S6VA - Great beat, great lyrics. Hard to beat this track.
Winner on the first try! Really liked this, checked out one more track and liked it too.

P.O.S. - Drum Roll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfo-EGDBEAY - If you're into heavier stuff, you'll probably really dig P.O.S. he's sort of a punk/rap hybrid.
Borderline like/dislike. But, see below...

Doomtree - Low Light Low Life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biIFvAQP34w - Related to the above (P.O.S. is a member of Doomtree and on this track), listen to some of the lyrics here. It's a bit political, but lots of metaphors and wordplay.
Borderline like/dislike. The female MC on this track reminded me of Ladybug from Digable Planets though, so course I had to go listen to Rebirth of Slick.

Astronautalis - Contrails ft. Tegan of Tegan & Sarah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N4YeNYbU5I - Astro is known for being sort an indie rock/rap hybrid.
Digging it. I also checked out a Astronautalis track with P.O.S. as guest and liked it too. So I like P.O.S. under the right circumstances.

CunninLynguists - Enemies with Benefits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsFL17DvOIA - More of a pure rap track, but lots of good content.
Will check out later. Am running out of time tonight, as I went and got distracted by Digable Planets and am now in full-on 90s hip hop revival mode...finishing up PE's Fight the Power, and will also listen to Lucas With The Lid Up and Mistadobalina because I can't do 90s hip hop without visiting those. Crap, I also need Jump Around or I won't be able to go to sleep tonight. Damn I love/hate Youtube, you can really get lost down a rabbit hole when you go looking for music.

iamtylerhakes said:
So, first of all, Bell's is also my favorite brewery--Two Hearted is my favorite beer of all time. I was just up in Lansing a few weeks ago for work and actually stayed in Kalamazoo so I could hit the brewery while I was in Michigan. Fantastic! I was also really impressed with their food. I didn't expect it to be quite as great as it was. Surly and Toppling Goliath are probably tied for second favorite breweries.

I enjoy stouts/porters as well, although I have to admit that my knowledge there isn't very deep. I'm mostly a hophead. I've also been really into sours over the last two years or so. I REALLY like a good Gose. If you have a chance, check out Destihl's Here Gose Nothing (it's in green cans).
Ha! I'm a metro Detroiter, but have yet to actually make it over to Bell's Cafe - if there's ever an Unrepentant meetup in the upper midwest, I suggest we go there. There's quite a few Bell's fans in Unrepentant. If you're into sours, have you tried anything from The Jolly Pumpkin? Another MI brewery. I forget the one I tried, but it was a bit too sour for me. I understand that the majority of his brews are like that.
Two Hearted is super! I like HopSlam too, but like one bottle a year is good for me (I like IPAs in small doses). If you get in a stout mood and are feeling indecisive about which one to try next, Bell's stouts are all great--even their worst stout probably still gets some kind of award. Samuel Smith's oatmeal stout in an awfully good stout as well.

Huh, for some reason I'm in the mood for a beer. :) Conveniently I have a Great Lakes' Elliott Ness (my #1 amber, tied with or perhaps edging out Bell's amber) in my fridge...

doyler

NWO Guild Leader
tyler made it in guild tonight and got into some dragon runs. what did you think tyler

tyler made it in guild tonight and got into some dragon runs. what did you think tyler
I had a blast! I think my computer was struggling a bit to keep up with all of the people in the SH map. But, it was awesome to slay 3 of the 4 dragons in a single run.

Everyone greeted me so warmly tonight, got a chance to chat a bit with a few members.

Thanks for having me along. :D

Am running out of time tonight, as I went and got distracted by Digable Planets and am now in full-on 90s hip hop revival mode...finishing up PE's Fight the Power, and will also listen to Lucas With The Lid Up and Mistadobalina because I can't do 90s hip hop without visiting those. Crap, I also need Jump Around or I won't be able to go to sleep tonight. Damn I love/hate Youtube, you can really get lost down a rabbit hole when you go looking for music.
Aha! So, you're a 90's hip hop head. You should have said so earlier! Hahaha.

Let me know when you're ready, and I'll send you all of the sample-based boom bap you can handle. ;)

I totally second the decision to have a meetup at Bell's--especially if you've never been out there. I've never had anything from Jolly Pumpkin. I don't think they distribute out here. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. Bell's indeed does some good stouts. The Kalamazoo is pretty nice!

Got in some more dragon runs today, along with a few HEs and a run on VT. Had a blast and some good laughs on Mumble.

Just to sweeten my app, I figured no one can turn down a couple of cuties like this:

And, some weirdo with a mutant, red beard who somehow conned a pretty lady into taking a photo with him:

Edit: Can anyone tell me how to get the overlay feature to work in Mumble? I've tried messing with it but haven't been able to get it to show up.

Last edited:
Hey there,

You must start by:

0 - Make sure Overlay is on in Settings
1 - Start Mumble
2 - Start Neverwinter

Note: You must have Direct3d 9 working and setup also on neverwinter

And thats it. When you go into neverwinter you can see all the names on the top right corner...

Cheers

Santo

Hello there Tyler - Great photos, but it looks like that lady is just a split second from grabbing that red beard mutant and biting his ear. Hope he got away in one piece.

So I'm glad we could meet up for a duo HE thing, both weak DPS so we made it epic! Keep it up and good luck with your application.

Hello there Tyler - Great photos, but it looks like that lady is just a split second from grabbing that red beard mutant and biting his ear. Hope he got away in one piece.

So I'm glad we could meet up for a duo HE thing, both weak DPS so we made it epic! Keep it up and good luck with your application.
Hahaha! Thanks. It was indeed fun doing those HEs. Slowly and steady, and popping Unstoppable just in time not to die! :D

Tyler, who is the greatest MC of all time?
Eesh! Hitting me with the tough questions.

My inclination is to go with Rakim--which most people would probably say is a "safe" choice.

In all honesty, though, I want to say Biggie. A lot of people think of him as making great tracks, but he isn't always revered as a particularly skilled MC. But, I think that the poppy production really just overshadowed much of his true talent as a wordsmith and his incredible flow. Check out Notorious XX (https://waitwhat.bandcamp.com/album/the-notorious-xx) if you have a chance, it's a mash up between The XX and Biggie, and I think the stripped-down production really brings out the depth in some of his lyrics and sort of gives his words new meaning.

Of course, some of his stuff is still just baseless braggadocio, but I think he also speaks so much truth to the "struggle" that rap is rooted in--escaping poverty through art and music, bargaining morals for survival, etc. It's pretty profound if you really analyze the conditions that a guy like Biggie was brought up in.

"We used to fuss when the landlord dissed us/No heat, wondered why Christmas missed us/Birthdays was the worst days/Now we sip champagne when we thirsty"

or

"All my life I been considered as the worst/Lying to my mother, even stealin out her purse/Crime after crime, from drugs to extortion/I know my mother wish she got a fuckin' abortion"

Like--damn--that's dark.

Edit: Just to play devil's advocate against myself, I would also say that Guru from Gang Starr also deserves to be in any GOAT conversation. He was sort of the antithesis of Biggie, railing against the commercialization of hip hop as it started its trajectory toward mainstream success. (see: "Mass Appeal" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9lNbNGbo24).

Last edited:
The correct answer is Rakim (ding ding ding!). Unfortunately for me, since you answered correctly, it means that I do not get to knock you out with laughing gas, strip you down to your banana hammock, and roll you up in a carpet in preparation for your reeducation.

Don't worry, I will come up with a better question. If two trains leave their respective stations at 9am, and train A is traveling at 50 mph and train B is traveling at 55 mph and can also hit turbo boost every 30 min, which award-winning microbrewery do they meet at, and what do they drink?
*Gets laughing gas ready*

Top Bottom