Musical Madness!!! Post here for guitar players and other musicians! (Even Drummers :)

Krishach

ED Leader
Guild Leader
This released today and totally changed my mind. Ibanez JGM10. This makes me want to finally sit down and take a year or 10 with finger style.

The Ibanez JGM10

Last edited:

Fhaol

Promoter
All my stuff is great.I think the strat has jumbo frets and Ive had the Rumble since , geeze 2005ish?? it is still great but keep in mind I dont gig or anything like that. Just an old fart chunkin out some chords. All my old jam buddies have doed or moved :(. That strat also has Fender custom shop pickups in it that sound awesome compared to a 70s strat I once owned.

Boss has been a subsidiary of Roland since it was created back in '73. They make great gear! Prince used Boss gear exclusively an if it's good enough for that legendary player it's good enough for anyone! I've sold off all of my Boss pedals except for some utility ones like my LS-2, a pair of GE7s, RC-300, and RC-3. I even sold off my MC-3 which I kind of regret letting go. MC-3 tones were okay, but it shines as a small format controller.

I had the 60th Anniversary Deluxe Strat. I loved it for about 2 years then sold it. Your frets on it holding out? Mine needed a fret job after 9 months.
How about your Fender Rumble? Volume pots on my Rumble 100 wore out in less than a year. I replaced them, but was kind of disappointed.

I have too many pedals to list as I dove hard down the boutique path for a few years. Some of my favorites over the years ,besides utility pedals, are Chase Bliss Audio Brothers, CBA Condor, CBA Tonal Recall RKM, Fulltone OCD, Big Muff, and the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe.

You mentioned Uke, cool. You play other instruments too? I play guitar, fiddle, bass, Uke, keys, am dabbling in drums, harmonica and trombone. My "one of these days list" consists of bagpipes, banjo, trumpet, and accordion.

Fhaol

Promoter
Speaking of Roland Ive had a few of their things too but a friend and I used to go to guitar shows in Houston and Dallas and he picked up a Roland Guitar synth back in the 90s. I loved that toy. Played Green Onions Organ part on it OMG!

This released today and totally changed my mind. Ibanez JGM10. This makes me want to finally sit down and take a year or 10 with finger style.

The Ibanez JGM10
Almost have me "GASing" for that guitar! Ibanez make some fine instruments. Percussive fingerstyle eludes me, I can never get it so sound the way I hear it in my head.

Speaking of Roland Ive had a few of their things too but a friend and I used to go to guitar shows in Houston and Dallas and he picked up a Roland Guitar synth back in the 90s. I loved that toy. Played Green Onions Organ part on it OMG!
If you're into Boss and synth, you should check out the SY-1. It's very impressive for such a small format. I know it's not an option in the Katana MkI but you might have some of its capabilities in the MkII. I almost picked one up but it's price is almost a third of an HX Stomp, since I'm trying to squeeze as much versatility into as small a space and budget I had to let it go.

Pfloyd

Official Dino-Bard
Thanks for the explanation, boys. And the acoustic is still there. Apparently, their guitar tech was out for two weeks with "a medical condition", and has a couple weeks worth to catch up on. I'm gonna call them Friday and see if it's ready yet. Either way, it's got some buzz around the 8th-10th frets, so it needs some professional love, and not some Pfloyd love (which is likely to end in no Breedlove).

Fhaol

Promoter
I may have to look next stimulus lol..I think now all you need is a special pickup close to the bridge and software. Id love to learn som Muse or get a looper thats why I MAY trade in on a MKII100. it has the effectsloop..maybe lol

Almost have me "GASing" for that guitar! Ibanez make some fine instruments. Percussive fingerstyle eludes me, I can never get it so sound the way I hear it in my head.

If you're into Boss and synth, you should check out the SY-1. It's very impressive for such a small format. I know it's not an option in the Katana MkI but you might have some of its capabilities in the MkII. I almost picked one up but it's price is almost a third of an HX Stomp, since I'm trying to squeeze as much versatility into as small a space and budget I had to let it go.

Fhaol

Promoter
Those things are freakin awesome!!!

... Does it have to be a guitar? I'd go for a Chapman stick. If I had to pick between the tone ranges of a bass and a guitar, I would not be happy.

Pfloyd

Official Dino-Bard
Update on the Breedlove! I stopped off at GC today after my daughter's gymnastics outing, and the guitar tech gave me the bad news: the guitar is warped, and would need some serious and expensive work to fix. So I'm out a guitar for now. I really liked the sound and feel of it, so I had them order me another one. Not sure when it will be here, but hopefully I'll have my acoustic soon!

Update on the Breedlove! I stopped off at GC today after my daughter's gymnastics outing, and the guitar tech gave me the bad news: the guitar is warped, and would need some serious and expensive work to fix. So I'm out a guitar for now. I really liked the sound and feel of it, so I had them order me another one. Not sure when it will be here, but hopefully I'll have my acoustic soon!

What specifically did he say was warped? I'd get a second opinion. My experience with GC techs versus a private reputable tech is something akin to going out looking for a rack Memphis style babybacks and coming back with a McRib. Hope you get a guitar back in your hands soon!

So I have this problem. Both my Fender Telecaster and Martin Dreadnaught Junior are both owned by a completely untalented and musically ignorant moron.

I have a very similar problem. My Gretsch is owned by an untalented pile of shit.

So I have this problem. Both my Fender Telecaster and Martin Dreadnaught Junior are both owned by a completely untalented and musically ignorant moron.
I'm worthy of none of my guitars. Except for maybe the lap steel I made out of junk I had lying around the basement.

After a 15 year hiatus I got back into playing in 2020 after I was spending more time at home after COVID COVIDed.
Had a couple of pawn shop Squiers (Strat and a Mustang) in the closet - those came out and I bought guitar setup gauges and cleaning stuff and re-learned how to set up guitars.
Tore all the corroded hardware off of my 1999 Epiphone Dot and replaced it with new stuff...looked like new-ish.

Had so much fun resurrecting decrepit guitars, I traded the Dot for a Squier (Tele) and set it up for Nashville tuning. Very fun, and recommended if you have a spare guitar laying around that you don't know what to do with.

Also got a scratch and ding kids' mini-Strat, a Grover dobro nut, put some heavy gauge D'addario Chromes on it and set it up as a lap steel. It's junky, but it works!

Installed high ratio locking tuners on most of them. I always thought locking tuners were for the heavy rock guys, but they're amazing upgrades for tuning stability and accuracy.
They turn the Squiers into decent guitars.

I'm now back up to my ~2005 level of skill, chunking out good ole cowboy chords and playing some leads. Rock and roll isn't really my thing any more, so I've started getting into jazz scales, phrasing and chording. Should keep me occupied for a while!

My desert island guitar? Probably the Squier Strat - I've come to like it, though I wouldn't turn down a real Fender at some point.

I also spent a lot of time in 2020 doing online musical collaborations, though mostly in the programming/producer/mixing guy seat.

If you'd like to play with some other people, but your local options are limited (or you're an antisocial jagoff like me) give the Kompoz.com community a try.
There's something for everyone there, and the community has become pretty chill again now that the political drama has largely died down.

My desert island guitar? Probably the Squier Strat - I've come to like it, though I wouldn't turn down a real Fender at some point.
Before COVID came around and screwed up every single market, the prices on used MIM Strats was incredible for buyers. The right handed market mostly stabilized, but the lefty market is probably going to be screwed for the next few years. I was this close to snatching up a nice sunburst Strat before the prices rose.

If the next few months works well then I plan on picking up something off my bucket list, a Hofner.

The right handed market mostly stabilized, but the lefty market is probably going to be screwed for the next few years. I was this close to snatching up a nice sunburst Strat before the prices rose.
If I ever come across a super cheap LH Strat, I'm totally going to flip it upside down and make a Hendrix strat of it. But I'll give you first right of refusal on any lefties I come across!

After a 15 year hiatus I got back into playing in 2020 after I was spending more time at home after COVID COVIDed.
Had a couple of pawn shop Squiers (Strat and a Mustang) in the closet - those came out and I bought guitar setup gauges and cleaning stuff and re-learned how to set up guitars.
Tore all the corroded hardware off of my 1999 Epiphone Dot and replaced it with new stuff...looked like new-ish.

Had so much fun resurrecting decrepit guitars, I traded the Dot for a Squier (Tele) and set it up for Nashville tuning. Very fun, and recommended if you have a spare guitar laying around that you don't know what to do with.

Also got a scratch and ding kids' mini-Strat, a Grover dobro nut, put some heavy gauge D'addario Chromes on it and set it up as a lap steel. It's junky, but it works!

Installed high ratio locking tuners on most of them. I always thought locking tuners were for the heavy rock guys, but they're amazing upgrades for tuning stability and accuracy.
They turn the Squiers into decent guitars.

I'm now back up to my ~2005 level of skill, chunking out good ole cowboy chords and playing some leads. Rock and roll isn't really my thing any more, so I've started getting into jazz scales, phrasing and chording. Should keep me occupied for a while!

I love the idea of reconditioning old guitars. That's definitely a thing I could see spending time on. You know, when I have some of that to spare. I've got a 90's MiM Strat I've been thinking about modding but haven't found enough ambition to make it happen.

I'm a HUGE fan of locking tuners. My three main guitars have them, and I'm likely to upgrade my others at some point.

I'm literally all over the place musically. My personal goal is to be able to walk into any room with my guitar, any genre, and be able to expertly join the musical conversation. Since I've been teaching my goals to that end have leapt in bounds. My current students have me teaching 90s Grunge, Outlaw Country, and Jazz standards. Trying to stay a step ahead of my students can be a little frantic some days, but no doubt it's making me a better player.

I had a 60th anniversary American Deluxe Strat. I liked it at first but over time I became really disappointed. My Mexi Strat is 30 years old and has had fewer problems than that thing did in8 months. I sold it and never looked back.

It's not a real lap steel unless it was a kayak paddle in a former life!
It is literally a 2x6 that I roughly cut and chiseled out. Not so refined as something like a paddle. I guess it could work as a paddle in a pinch.

Kompoz! sounds really cool. I'll be checking it out! Thanks for the tip. Not that tip.. ;-)

Top Bottom