Musical Madness!!! Post here for guitar players and other musicians! (Even Drummers :)

Fhaol

Promoter
So I made this sub for our geetar chat...here are some birds playing guitars !!

That display with the birds is pretty cool once I got past the cringeiness of bird crap on the fretboard. lol

Okay... fun question. Assuming you have the means to use it, electricity, amp etc... What is your "desert island" guitar. Why?

Mine is a PRS Modern Eagle V. My why is because it is essentially a Swiss Army knife of guitars. It's physically a HSH set up with a 5 way selector, but you can split both 'buckers, it has a Gilmour Switch to allow you to run just the two outside "pups" or all three at once, and it has a switch that changes your volume pot between a 500k or 250k. That adds up to like 34 different tones before you ever touch your amp or pedals.

Krishach

ED Leader
Guild Leader
... Does it have to be a guitar? I'd go for a Chapman stick. If I had to pick between the tone ranges of a bass and a guitar, I would not be happy.

Pfloyd

Official Dino-Bard
It's physically a HSH set up with a 5 way selector, but you can split both 'buckers, it has a Gilmour Switch to allow you to run just the two outside "pups" or all three at once, and it has a switch that changes your volume pot between a 500k or 250k.
So I play guitar and all, but what the fuck did you just say?

To answer Gris' question though, I'd just bring my little Breedlove acoustic. Can't tell you the model, because it's been a fucking Guitar Center for the past nine days waiting to get set up.

So I play guitar and all, but what the fuck did you just say?
He said It's physically a HSH set up with a 5 way selector, but you can split both 'buckers, it has a Gilmour Switch to allow you to run just the two outside "pups" or all three at once, and it has a switch that changes your volume pot between a 500k or 250k.

Serious answer, though, is it's a pickup with a Humbucker in the bridge and neck with a single coil in the middle. It has a 5 way pickup selector switch (typically wired for bridge/bridge+middle/middle/neck+middle/neck). There is a coil split, which disables one of the humbucker coils and makes it into a single coil. There is another switch that, in addition to the pickup selector, allows for it to use the bridge/neck or all three. Typically, single coil pickups will be wired to 250k potentiometers, while humbuckers will be wired to 500k, but it has a switch that allows you to choose which.

My desert island guitar would be a Fender Acoustasonic Stratocaster (if they ever decide to stop being fucksticks and make a lefty to go with the Acoustasonic Telecaster)

I lose at forums.. I don't recall how to multi quote. lol

Tefatched has it just about right except each humbucker has a switch so one can be split without the other, vice versa, or both can be split. Frankly it might a little like facing option paralyses, but I'm willing to suffer.

9 days at guitar center for a set-up? Damn dude, that's absurd! Are you just getting a basic set up or are they also doing a fretjob, bridge and a nut replacement, fretboard recondition, etc.? Breedlove's are excellent guitars!

Yeah Tef, I feel for you lefties. Though honestly it seems silly to me that right hand dominant people play so-called right handed guitars. Seems your finger agility and strength would be strong on your dominant hand. Anyone can strum with their weak arm, though fingerstyle would be a little more challenging. I've never tried the acoustasonics. I tried one of Fender's early editions of acoustics modeled after the strat and it was disappointing. I've heard good things about the acoustisonics generation though. I may have to check one out.

Krishach since it's your "desert island" experience it could be rusty wire on a stick with an old tin can and it's wouldn't be for me to judge. Actually I made one of those once an it was a blast to play. Chapman sticks are very cool. One of my favorite musical encounters was a dude who played the "Cantina Song" from Star Wars on a Chapman. There's videos floating around online of same song, but not the same dude.

We should do Uey quarantine video, playing for change style... anyone know how to do that?

Yeah Tef, I feel for you lefties.
Honestly, it's bad enough that it's completely driven me over the years not only to accept, but to outright be support of Chinese counterfeits. It's pretty much the only way to get something resembling most guitar models. I think the most fucked up thing is Fender's apparent love for Hendrix, yet they refuse to make a lefty of any of them, not even if you try getting it done through the custom shop for $10k+.

I've never tried the acoustasonics. I tried one of Fender's early editions of acoustics modeled after the strat and it was disappointing. I've heard good things about the acoustisonics generation though. I may have to check one out.
Those old Stratacoustic/Telecoustic guitars. They were a cool idea, based on the old Kramer Ferringtons, but Fender really dropped the ball on them. They were made out of a flimsy plastic, and were overpriced for what it was. Sure, Overations are plastic, but those were absolutely overbuilt in comparson.

I have a lot of different guitars,

1968 Fender Telecaster
1985 Gibson SG // I need to fix the neck, it broke off!
1957 Gibson ES-175 // Hollow body electric with P90 pickups
Yamaha steel string
Ibanez 12 string accoutic
Nylon string classical

I have an ancient Fender Vibro-champ that I need to change the capacitors on.

I'm thinking of buying a modeling amp, Something like a Boss Katana or a Fender GTX.

I don't have a lot of pedals, Just a ProCo Rat, and MXR Distortion+

I want to get some more pedals
Tube Screamer
Fender Reverb
Looper
Tuner

I have a lot of different guitars,

1968 Fender Telecaster
1985 Gibson SG // I need to fix the neck, it broke off!
1957 Gibson ES-175 // Hollow body electric with P90 pickups
Yamaha steel string
Ibanez 12 string accoutic
Nylon string classical

I have an ancient Fender Vibro-champ that I need to change the capacitors on.

I'm thinking of buying a modeling amp, Something like a Boss Katana or a Fender GTX.

Tube Screamer
Fender Reverb
Looper
Tuner

I have several guitars too, but in the spirit of the question... What is your one "desert island" guitar?

I have several guitars too, but in the spirit of the question... What is your one "desert island" guitar?

That neck break tends to be a problem on the SGs..
Boss Katanas are cheap, reliable, and get the job done. They've become a mainstay for a ton of musicians. Modeling has come a long way, but the tube purists are still out there.

Desert Island Guitar is tough:
All my guitars have problems that would exclude them.
None of my guitars are versatile enough to qualify.

'68 telecaster, thin neck, 3 intonation things, non locking tuning pegs
'85 Gibson SG, neck is broke off! Needs a better neck pickup, I bought it used, I hate the bridge pickup in it.
'57 Gibson 175, old trapeze style bridge, no microtune intonation.

I guess my desert Island guitar will be a Strat. I want a wammy bar and modern fast flat wide neck and locking tuning pegs.
Amp:Blue Junior, I'm not experience with good modeling amps.
Pedals:Tube Screamer, Rat, Distortion+, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Wah, Volume, Looper, Tuner, Delay.

Coral_Reef_Fish

68 tele... 3 intonation things? What ya mean?
85 Gibs... The neck might take some skill, but pickups are an easy enough mod, especially theses days with the help of the internets! You have any pickups in mind for it?

Talking about your modern flat wide neck... I've got a PRS Paul Allender SE with a flat wide. I loved it at first, then grew to not so much over time. It's got EMGs in it too, which I've also decided I'm not a fan of. Basically I've grown to hate almost everything about it except for it's appearance and the fact that it was a gift and I don't want the person who gave it to me to feel bad should I let it go. I tossed 13s on it and set it up to play in drop C# which I rarely do, but it's nice to have the choice.

I had a Strat with a graduated radius on it that I sold, and loved it more after it was gone. If you've never played a neck with a graduated radius, do yourself a favor and get your hands on one. It's next to dreamy.

Desert Island amp with no pedals available to me would be a Boss Katana honestly. Even though it's not "perfect tone" it's very good, extremely versatile, and give plenty of options.

Desert Island Amp if I have access to pedals would absolutely be a Quilter Labs OD202. As a stand alone amp it is absolutely fantastic, it can also manage FRFR exceedingly well, and makes superb pedal platform. I don't know what cabinet I'd pair it with yet. I have this amp and most often play it through a 1x12" Celestian Classic Lead 80. I love the tone, but am looking for more. I've used it to push a Marshall 4x12" filled with G12T-75s and it was frigging astounding but really too much for this day and age of sound reinforcement. My plan is to start stalking pawn shops in search of cabs to try out. Drag my head along and see if they'll let me plug in.

Pedals... There are so many that I love, but desert island scenario. I'd probably partner the HX Stomp, a Morningstar Engineering MC8, and that new Boss EQ 200. Between the Stomp and the EQ the amount of tones and tone shaping is astounding. The EQ200 has the ability to loop and send different EQs both in front of and behind your signal path. Since it and the Stomp are both midi controllable, it brings all those tones right up front for easy access. Oh.. add two expression pedals to that. Did I mention that I love options? lol

Close second for pedals... The entire line of Chase Bliss Audio pedals partnered with the Morningstar MC8. Their pedals are analog and astounding, but I find it hard to get down to playing music because I get lost in playing with the pedals.

Fhaol

Promoter
My ancient Princeton Reverb has been acting up so I used some of my stimulus to get a Katana MKII 50 I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Now if I had the cash I would have gotten the 100 for the effects loops and a couple other things. but for 229.00 you cant beat it!

Tube Screamer
Fender Reverb
Looper
Tuner
[/QUOTE]

Fhaol

Promoter
Gear list:
Early 70s Epiphone custom? acoustic
Early 70s silver face Princeton Reverb
Ukulele!
Chinese Hamer Sunburst ( black ) Picked up at pawn shop to have Humbucker guitar sounds and plays awesome!
Mex Jazz bass Elite with active electronics.
60th Anniversary American Strat.
Katana MKII 50
Fender Rumble Bass amp.
Voodoo Wah
Carbon copy Delay
DOD Distortion

This is my Strat, the one thats creme with Rosewood neck. Its the third strat I ever had and the best by far.

Last edited:

Fhaol

Promoter
Link to Boss katana FB oage

Ive been using Boss products for years!

I guess they are owned by Roland, another good brand, now.

Boss has been a subsidiary of Roland since it was created back in '73. They make great gear! Prince used Boss gear exclusively an if it's good enough for that legendary player it's good enough for anyone! I've sold off all of my Boss pedals except for some utility ones like my LS-2, a pair of GE7s, RC-300, and RC-3. I even sold off my MC-3 which I kind of regret letting go. MC-3 tones were okay, but it shines as a small format controller.

I had the 60th Anniversary Deluxe Strat. I loved it for about 2 years then sold it. Your frets on it holding out? Mine needed a fret job after 9 months.
How about your Fender Rumble? Volume pots on my Rumble 100 wore out in less than a year. I replaced them, but was kind of disappointed.

I have too many pedals to list as I dove hard down the boutique path for a few years. Some of my favorites over the years ,besides utility pedals, are Chase Bliss Audio Brothers, CBA Condor, CBA Tonal Recall RKM, Fulltone OCD, Big Muff, and the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe.

You mentioned Uke, cool. You play other instruments too? I play guitar, fiddle, bass, Uke, keys, am dabbling in drums, harmonica and trombone. My "one of these days list" consists of bagpipes, banjo, trumpet, and accordion.

I like to mess with pedals, and I like having choices for amps. I'm also too poor to be able to afford owning all that. It's why I invested in an Eleven Rack several years ago. Sure, it's not 100% the same as having the actual gear, and doesn't even come as close as an AxeFX or Kemper in modeling the real gear, but it does a far better job than any bedroom guitarist would ever need.

EDIT: While I'm thinking of it, this might be of interest to you guys. Unfortunately, US only. Also, not a referral link. I hate those.

Top Bottom