Interesting take on Microsoft's UWP

So, initially the UWP appeared to be designed to break open the clusterfuck that is the Console market by setting a standard for upgradable consoles that evolve with available hardware and software. The "But that's not all!" to this seems to be them trying to clamp down on the PC end of things with the UWP store.

Here's what The Guardian has to say.

Not sure what to think...

There's no way they'll ever succeed in doing what they plan to. First off, they'll have their asses sued like every time they pulled this kind of anti-trust level bullfuckery. I'd love to see Europe slap them with several billion in fines again. It would also be the tipping point that near completely drives gaming to Linux.

Given how closed the Apple ecosystem is, I highly doubt it will ever be taken seriously for games ever again.

huntgod

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds
Promoter
Apple is not an option...I know Mac heads want it to be an option, but the level of control they exert and the equally closed nature of their system make it a side option at best. It would be live moving from cold war Moscow to cold war East Berlin.

I only see it ever being a remote possibility is if they allow you to install the OS on any machine the same way Windows does.

Given how closed the Apple ecosystem is, I highly doubt it will ever be taken seriously for games ever again.
The reason why Apple will never be taken seriously as a gaming computer is that, but also they use mobile GPU's in most of their desktop and laptop models now.

I've been struggling with this whole thing because I'm getting fed up with Windows 10 and am nearing the point of having to buy a new gaming machine. The biggest games on my horizon right now are WoW: Legion and Overwatch. Overwatch will never work on a Mac (at least Blizzard says they have no intention of creating a version for OSX for right now specifically because of the use of mobile GPU's in Macs solely), and will probably never work properly using WINE on Linux. I'd be willing to buy a new computer with Windows 10 if I could pay to remove all the privacy-breaking stuff (that seems to somehow get reset every couple of updates to Windows on my system). Linux isn't a viable option for gaming right now, it's trying to be but is struggling.

So I'm at a point where I buy a Mac and buy a TV and PS4 for gaming. Or I feel like I've sold my soul and get a Windows 10 box (or worse put Win 7 on it and risk MS pulling security update support for the OS). Or I buy a Mac and give up the only hobby I have in gaming.

Apple's ecosystem is too closed for me, but -- and maybe this is more of a false sense of security -- I feel safer using an iPhone and Apple products because they are just easier to use for the most part despite being closed as well as the decent quality of hardware that Apple is known fore. I convinced my parents to buy an iMac and iPhones begrudgingly while I was still on the Android and Linux bandwagon and I've seen how much easier (compared to Linux) and more secure (compared to Windows) the system has been for them. For the most part, everything my parents do on their Apple products just works out of the box with very few minor issues. Granted, some design decisions are frustrating and Apple is not without it's flaws, but (and I feel dirty saying this) I trust Apple more than I do MS).

If I had time to tinker, I'd build my own badass desktop PC and put Linux on it and tinker with WINE to get all of the games I play working on it and be done. But I've been down that road before. The whole reason why I switched from Android to iPhone last year was because I was sick of tinkering and just wanted something that worked. I found that in an iPhone and now I'm entirely immersed in the Apple ecosystem and have come to embrace it. The same thing happened to my brother-in-law, who was even more of a diehard Android guy than I was and actually enjoys tinkering.

I've longed for the days when we'd finally be able to play any game on any modern computer OS, but it's stuff like this that MS is doing and the move by Apple to only use mobile GPUs that just moves us further away from that ideal. Steam tried, and still is trying, to get games to be OS agnostic but it's been an uphill battle. There are still very few big name games that release for Linux that actually run well and even fewer release for OSX. Most of those same games are also released on console.

So, I guess after 10 years of never using a console, MS is pushing me away from Windows and back on to one because they decided to give their OS away for free at the expense of user privacy and this UWP thing. This is not good for PC gaming or gaming in general. Sure it's great for gamers that have an Xbox and a Win 10 box, but not great for devs that don't want to use UWP.

So, I guess after 10 years of never using a console, MS is pushing me away from Windows and back on to one because they decided to give their OS away for free at the expense of user privacy and this UWP thing. This is not good for PC gaming or gaming in general. Sure it's great for gamers that have an Xbox and a Win 10 box, but not great for devs that don't want to use UWP.
Sadly there is no other choice now, every attempt at providing a gaming alternative to Windows failed miserably, or if it succeeded it did so in a very limited fashion.

So Linux for gaming... I recently decided to give this a shot again and ran into several large issues that are potentially show stoppers. I run a GTX970 on a 2560x1440 display Linux Mint's newest version boots straight to a black screen unless I use the nomodeset flag. This was a bit of a pain but I was able to get the install done, updated to the latest nvidia drivers (which was fairly painless) and performed all the required updates. Installed steam and then installed launched Saints Row 4... The game was unplayable. Extremely slow and barely running. My PC is an I7 4790k at 4ghz with 32gb ram and linux installed on an SSD. This should not have been slow.

I next decided to try a different distribution. Downloaded OpenSUSE 42.1 Leap this installed without any hitches (no need for a nomodeset flag) but when I added the NVidia repositories and and rebooted KDE crashes on boot. Unable to log in... Boot to level 3 and install the latest nvidia drivers from the command prompt manually reboot and we are back in business. Install steam, install Saints Row 4 and it runs a bit better than mint but still with extremely low FPS.

Oh well I'll keep trying because I really want Linux to work but using PlayOnLinux with WOW produces broken audio with USB Soundblaster card (audioworks but is full of static)

So yeah Linux is not ready for prime time gaming... Installed mac OSX 10.11 on the same PC (hackintosh ftw) and was able to play WOW and other Mac games with no issues but the game library is entirely to small. (damned you STO for stopping the mac client!)

Last edited:
From what I've been reading, Linux is worse for games than it was a couple years ago. I made the switch to Linux around the time Vista came out and proved itself to be garbage. Most games ran fairly well under WINE, Nvidia was the most stable, but you could also make do with ATI if you did some extra tweaking.

I've been struggling with this whole thing because I'm getting fed up with Windows 10 and am nearing the point of having to buy a new gaming machine.

i'm not sure if it is by accident or if asus, also sees the crazy that is windows 10, but on my new(ish) computer, the bios is set to not be compatable with the upgrade. asus will give you a fix for it if you ask, but i wont fix it unless i am completely forced to.

i'm not sure if it is by accident or if asus, also sees the crazy that is windows 10, but on my new(ish) computer, the bios is set to not be compatable with the upgrade. asus will give you a fix for it if you ask, but i wont fix it unless i am completely forced to.
Yeah I have the Asus G75VW gaming laptop and they don't really support Win10 on it. I remember having to do some funky stuff to get sound to work on it. I actually really like Asus hardware. It's Windows 10 that makes me want to see how far this laptop can fly out my 3rd floor studio apartment's window.

Top Bottom