History of Unrepentant

Thanks Grim - I followed you and Apoc and th others over there, but I did not have much to do with the guy, who had been in AoC with us during HFC times and was called 'Evildead'

foulsoul

The Big Tomato
Community Leader
Evildead was not in hammerfist. That was evildream

Dao Jones

I am the Waffleman. Goo goo gajoob.
Nothing good can come of a guy named "Evil". Seriously:

Evildream's departure from Hammerfist was what set *me* off; my subsequent departure was what set up the split. (EvilDao?)
Evilash took an entire guild out from under its leader.
Evildead did such a horrible, botched job of running a WoW guild for us we had to reclaim it from him. (Which was - again - done by "Evilash" in disguise.)

Avoid people named "Evil-" - they're just not to be trusted!

ironzerg

NWO Guild Leader
Another chapter in the history of the U worth noting and remembering. Plus all the people involved were ridiculously good looking.

Snowflakegate the Musical: A Brief Retrospective

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times. Activity levels were high, the guild was cranking along, and everyone was excited about the Wintersday content. New jumping puzzles, new dungeons, new events and of course, new item drops, crafting recipes and cash shop items for all! Monsters started dropping snowflakes, and all was right with the world. And just like a kitchen full of the Bumpus hounds, trouble was brewing.

With the new crafting recipes and the new snowflake ingredients, new opportunities in the market presented themselves. It quickly became apparent to some of the more entrepreneurial of the U that there was gold to be made from those snowflakes, and early on many of us jumped on the opportunity:

http://www.unrepentantgaming.com/forum/showthread.php?64692-Short-term-huge-profit!

TL;DR? Since the market was still trying to “price” the snowflakes, it was actually possible to craft some of the recipes and break those down into parts, and make a profit off it. Based on my personal calculations, each cycle would net you a few silver. For those more industrial of the U, repeating this hundreds or even thousands of times would net you a nice sum of gold. However, the market quickly reacted, the price of snowflakes rose and that was the end of that. Or so we thought.
Shortly after Christmas, a few of us logging into GW2 got THE message. Account terminated due to exploiting. Yikes! One of the hottest threads of the season soon popped up:

http://www.unrepentantgaming.com/fo...-Account-got-suspended-for-abusing-an-exploit

I’ll spare you the drama here. But if you have the time, it’s worth reading through that thread. You’ll get the ups and downs, the ins and outs and everything in between. Ultimately, due to our deliberate and malicious intent to destroy the GW2 economy, some of us were branded economic terrorists and banned from GW2. Myself, as Branch Leader, and about half my officers included. All in all, I think about 12 Ueys were banned. Many petitioned their bans, most (if not all) were met with the same automated response. No explanation as to why or how. The silver lining was most Ueys were also refunded all their money they spent in game, most even got their box cost refunded. Anywhere from $50 up to $700 back. But that’s not the point.

We were all angry and confused. Most of us felt betrayed by a developer and game we had spent the last year or longer praising. No one had any idea what to do, how the guild was going to continue and how we should respond. We did the only thing we know how to do. We responded like true Ueys. Did our members maliciously exploit a bug to profit?Absolutely not. Are they at fault? No. But, we can’t just walk away from the Branch. Rhal quickly stepped up to take over the reins of the branch, and things kept rolling along. Some members used their refund to buy back into GW2, so opted to move on to other games. But the U kept on being the U. An incident that would’ve otherwise torn apart most other guilds or community, produce a few waves, which became ripples which then settled back down into calm waters.

The point being, and the reason to remember Snowflakegate has nothing to do with GW2, but who we are as a community and why the U is so special. The U is not the games we play. It is the community, the friends and the way we play together that makes the U special. At the end of it all, the games we play are just games. After the next big thing comes and goes, as the next-next big thing is rising up, and the next-next-next big thing is going into beta, the U will always be the U and we’ll always be here.

Thanks IZ. This seemed like too good an episode to let sink into history.

Anybody with history from other branches feel free to contribute. I have been thinking about generating a timeline of all the games we have been in for the last 5 years.

Thanks IZ. This seemed like too good an episode to let sink into history.

Anybody with history from other branches feel free to contribute. I have been thinking about generating a timeline of all the games we have been in for the last 5 years.
i triple dog dare you

Dao Jones

I can help. I probably remember every guild we've had, including the obscure ones like APB and Global Agenda.

Dantos

Probably Deserves a Hat
Humm, we probably need Huntgod to write the history of the DDO branch :D

As of February 2013, a timeline for the major games the U has been involved in. Lower half is current branches, dashed lines are former branches, the rest are miscellaneous. The break in the DDO line - ask Huntgod.

Unrepentant timeline.jpg

huntgod

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds
Ufficer
Harumph, that break was about 15 minutes...not a month :-(

Dao Jones

Harumph, that break was about 15 minutes...not a month :-(
No, according to the chart - which is now the official recollection of the incident - it was down about a month. At least, that's how I remember it... now.

ironzerg

NWO Guild Leader
No, according to the chart - which is now the official recollection of the incident - it was down about a month. At least, that's how I remember it... now.
It's a chart. With numbers. On the Internet. It's obvious to anyone that it was an entire month.

I mean, I wasn't even a member of the U, and I clearly remember it being AT LEAST a month.

:)

Pfloyd

Official Dino-Bard
I'm tired of seeing 'Zerg's name on this every time I look at "the History of the U". Here's to change, folks. Here's to change.

williamsond

DDO Usurper
Ufficer
Fair point but there's no way we're having Pfloyds name there either...

Last edited:
Top Bottom