Gaming Podcast Input

So serious question for you guys. I'm writing for this game site and they have given me the ok to put together a podcast, but they haven't really given me much to work with. So I was curious, what do you guys like from a podcast? What would you like to see in a podcast?

Rhu

What would you like to see in a podcast?
It would be pretty amazing if a podcast could give me synesthesia.

You can start with the idea that a podcast is a conversation with an audience. Maybe you have additional guests, maybe you're running solo. This will matter, but not until you've determined what kind of conversations you're going to have.

So this is about you, how you engage in the topic of discussing games, and how you can engage others in your thoughts on the topic.

We're not you, and we don't have your memories. So it's up to you: think back. Focus on conversations you've had that have evoked a strong response from yourself and/or others. Maybe it was an uncomfortable response, maybe it was really funny, maybe it was something that made you stare at a wall and think for an hour.

Maybe you've had multiple episodes like this. How did these conversations start? Did you have a provocative or reactive role in those conversations? Could you push the topic further with more preparation or research?

Last edited:

huntgod

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds
Promoter
Are there any podcasters you really like and would want to emulate?

I only watch a few with any regularity and they have similar approaches.

Philip DeFranco is one I find very watchable, I also enjoy TotalBiscuit. I have frequent conversations with myself, especially when trying to figure something out, if you ever do that, it's a good place to start.

One that I have trouble with is, I tend to really like examining something from all the angles and that is good for being a person, not so good for gaining an audience. You need to pick a position or narrative and then push that to the audience. You can speak to competing opinions or narratives, but generally only as contrast to the one you are supporting. There are of course exceptions, but if you look at the guys that are successful, they cater the narrative to the audience they are looking to attract, regardless of what they may or may not think.

huntgod

Promoter
...Do titties have audio...?!
If I have my way they are in stereo, or if lucky even surround sound, though to date, the wife has not been cool with my suggestions to try surround sound.

Well this got off topic PDQ. rofl

@rhu synesthasia would be AMAZING to be able to grant oneself from a podcast. THIS YES PLEASE

For me I like to hear histories, why's, hows, facts, etc. When/if you get a sample let us know! I'd love to give a listen.

.... and i just realized this thread is nearly 2 weeks old.... ::sigh::

Harplager

Promoter
I have to say, I like shorter versions. I was looking for a good WoW podcast, and it seems like the target for every podcast is to be 1 hour long, which is too long to hold my attention, even when I play at 1.5x. I'd rather have 20 minutes 2-3 times a week than one big hour long extravaganza. But I may be the outlier there, people may prefer to only hear one long cast weekly.

huntgod

Promoter
I have to say, I like shorter versions. I was looking for a good WoW podcast, and it seems like the target for every podcast is to be 1 hour long, which is too long to hold my attention, even when I play at 1.5x. I'd rather have 20 minutes 2-3 times a week than one big hour long extravaganza. But I may be the outlier there, people may prefer to only hear one long cast weekly.
Nope I am in there with ya. 60 minutes is too damn long, I am amazed anyone sits for that length of time on a podcast, most of the younger folks I know have incredibly short attention spans.

I think the optimal run is under 10 minutes. I will stop what I am doing to watch an interesting looking 10 minute cast. If I see 30+ minutes, I don't even consider watching it.

I concur that if you have 60 minutes of material, you are much better off breaking it into 4-6 smaller chunks and distributing it over several days, rather than as a big lump. I think you are also more likely to get a new watcher if they see 10-15 minutes, a lot of folks will take a chance and a short amount of time and would not try a new caster if it means possibly dedicating an hour.

If it is strictly informational, I honestly think you want it as concise as possible, packed with info and delivered in an entertaining way. Nothing turns me off faster than looking for a guide or some sort of info on how to do something and everything is 5-10 minutes of the caster blathering about unrelated shit to warm you up or entertain you, then 30 minutes of explaining the topic in way more detail than required with tons of ancillary crap that doesn't really pertain and then 10 minutes of wind down. 5-10 minutes of information, diluted and stretched to fill an hour.

I wholeheartedly recognize I may be a minority in that view though, I can remember being told by a teachers to write a 5 page paper on a subject and delivering the needed information in 2-3, being graded off, speaking with the teacher and asking what was missing, being told nothing, but the requirement was 5 pages. On more than one occasion I simply appended two additional pages of random word salad.

Use the time needed, cut anything that isn't. That doesn't mean drone facts or information like a Vulcan, you can entertain and inform without diluting or stretching material.

Good luck!

Top Bottom