DoTA 2, LoL App: Riadnasla (0/4/0)

Would you have a drink with them? (the results have no bearing on whether they get in or not)

• Total voters
Membership Application
Are you over 18? (You must be 18+ to apply.)
Yes

Which game(s) are you applying in?
Dota 2

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with?
Riadnasla

Do you have friends or family in the guild? If so what is their forum name?
Yes, I know Radiscar IRL

So... let's talk! What follows are a bunch of questions that give us a sense of your personality, and give us something to talk about. If your answers are boring or short, we’ll assume you’re boring (and probably short).

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
Once, while at a home fondue, we ran out of the appropriate fuel.

Typically, I am a pyro-maniac, and in this case decided to put it to use, by filling the fuel pots with kerosene. Not wanting to set the house/furniture on fire, I opted to fill the pots over the metal sink in the kitchen. I managed to spill some kerosene on my hand, and it dripped down the sides of the fuel pot, since the kerosene came in a somewhat unwieldy jug. Knowing this, I decided to light the fuel pot in the sink, allow it to stabilize, then bring it to the table for the fondue.

What I didn't realize, was that I had managed to spill kerosene over the entire sink.... Needless to say, my friends were all startled from their conversations by the light of a mushroom flame that touched the ceiling, enveloping my head temporarily and lighting up the entire area.

Once the excess kerosene was burnt off, I stood there, mildly singed and holding a little fondue fuel pot which had a small but vibrant flame extruding from the tiny vent hole.

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
I'll start with the worst.....

I worked in construction for 10 years as skilled labour. Needless to say, I have been given a ton of "worst" jobs in that time...from 30-degree-celsius attic insulating, to -25+winchill scaffold-assembly/disassembly. But the absolute worst would be foundations-digging in a Native village.

For reference, this village is in the middle of lava-beds, which raise the temperature to easily over 30-celsius on a sunny day. This village loves to fish and process oolican fish, and spread the resulting oil over toast as one would with vegemite or nutella. This oil stinks of rotting corpses and sewage, is very pungent and nutritious for small insects.

The job I was given, was to hand-dig the exterior foundations of the houses, so that we could apply sealant and tar in an effort to stop water damage. I started with the shovel, only to realize that the area was saturated with the excess oolican oil from the refining process. Noseeum flies literally clouded my vision as my entire head and shoulders were covered in these flies. Realizing that bug dope wasn't working, and seeing a propane torch nearby, I promptly set the small cloud on fire. For a brief moment, I felt victorious in searing all of them to a crisp, until the next million flies flew in to replace the ones I'd dealt with. I repeated this process for about 10mins steady, before giving up and resigning myself to the flies up my nose, in my ears, and crawling around my eyes.

Still makes me itch.

For the best job yet, I would say my current part-time as a videographer is pretty awesome. Specifically, in summer 2013, I worked as a camp videographer (whatever to pay the bills, right?). Though it wasn't the work I was used to, I was extremely satisfied on a daily basis. I used a Glidecam with a DSLR to chase kids around all day, filming them enthusiastically achieving tasks they didn't know they could, and capturing the resulting smiles and amazement.

During my time, campers and staff alike got to know me as the guy who would do anything for a shot, and pushed me in this manner further than I've ever done before. I felt intellectually challenged to problem-solve video challenges, physically challenged due to the immense workout/cardio required, my OCD for file-management was actually put to good use finally(over 1TB of footage in 2 months), and my discipline grew as I learned to work 14-hr days.

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
Age of Empires 2: It was my first ever owned video game. The nostalgia alone made me buy it recently. Combine that with the fact that it still has solid gameplay and kicks my arse regularly, and I'll always return to it.

Skyrim: I can't play this one regularly, as I lose track of reality...but I absolutely adore it. I love losing myself in books, and feel empty and unfulfilled when they end.....but Skyrim cannot be completed, in my opinion.

Left4Dead: I would like to say this one, although I actually do not have an active copy (console broke down years ago, and I'm preferring PC at this point), because it is built entirely around co-op play. I enjoy playing games, but I much prefer to play with people, and this game exists solely to enable this.....plus, zombie fps? Need I say more? Actually, I will. I love the fact that it has an AI-camera that controls the difficulty and variety of zombies. It not only is an awesome game, but it custom-tailors your experience to give you the biggest sense of achievement while keeping you on edge the entire time.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
This one's tough. I tend to be quite empathetic, and see what the backstory behind each person is......but there is this one person....

I have this one co-worker who complains that they're allergic to EVERYTHING. You cannot get through a conversation without her saying that she allergic to something that we talked about. I got the idea the first time she told me, and the next 30 times as well.

Having dealt with allergies before, I understand what a setback it can be.....but you don't hear an amputee bringing up their missing limbs every conversation, do you?

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
Two things:

1) I used to enjoy lighting large piles of shipping pallets on fire with friends. Unfortunately, I moved to the city where such things are illegal.

2) I once got stuck on top of a mountain during a thunderstorm. I got rid of everything metal on me, sat near, but not under a shorter tree, then buttoned up my Drizabone riding coat, squared my hat, and enjoyed the lightshow.

3) I got married last December.

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
I enjoy gaming with people, but I game casually, around my work and married life. Most guilds require a certain amount of hours per week, or charge admissions, etc. I just want to have the company of fellow gamers. Radiscar prompted me to join this community, citing that it is focused along what I am looking for.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
What is a question literally too stupid to ask?

Will my love of all outdoor adventures hurt my gamer rep?

If a man speaks, and there is no woman to correct him.....is he still wrong?

Since when did drinking beer(craft or not) become a snobby connoisseur's art?

Almost done!

do you wear pants?
No

Hello Riad!

So I giggled out loud picturing your mushroom cloud in the kitchen. The final image I was left with was a nice touch!

We are as easy peasy as it comes as far as membership goes. We do take the app process seriously, though, so we do ask that you keep up with your app and make an effort to get to know the community - that being the key word. We are a ton of people playing a ton of different games.

In answer to your questions:

What is a question literally too stupid to ask? - I challenge you to work in customer service without hearing at least one of these a day. One of my personal favorites was when I worked at a movie theater. We had the giant marquis that you HAD to drive past at the entrance to the mall with the showtimes listed, the medium sized marquis above the box office with all the times listed, the smallest marquis directly above the window of the box office with - yes - all the times listed, and I would still get asked "What time do the movies start?" FUUUUUUU

Will my love of all outdoor adventures hurt my gamer rep? - depends...when you say ALL outdoor adventures, does that include zorbing?

If a man speaks, and there is no woman to correct him.....is he still wrong? - It is a defect of your kind and a state of being so our presence is moot. You will always just be wrong.

Since when did drinking beer(craft or not) become a snobby connoisseur's art? Please see Futurama Season 7 Episode 8. Oktoberfest is very fancy.

I may be stretching it a bit (that's what she said) but I get the impression you like fire. Why aren't you doing something that involves open flames for a living?

Thanks! I'm glad I was able to portray the comedic side of the event. To me, the story always comes first.

I will be online whenever possible, and keep up as much as possible, but I do work a large amount of my time, and then still have to give my wife some time, so I might take a little longer to reply at times.

I hear you about customers......makes me glad I'm mostly out of the service industry.

I've never heard it called that before......but the next chance I get, I'm going Zorbing!

Ironically enough, even with my extensive hands-on knowledge of fire, people don't seem to trust me with it.........

.....I used a Glidecam with a DSLR to chase kids around all day......

So you are this guy?
Spoiler:

Also nice profile pic, there is something blocking the view on the nice fire though ;-)

I laughed too hard at this vid.....only to get offended....then break down laughing again.
Funny part is, the reverse is actually true. My contract required me to compile a "memoirs" dvd for each week's camp, so I learned very quickly how to avoid having too much footage of the attention-seekers, and more of the rest of the kids. One thing I learned from the experience....operating a smooth Glidecam is amazing ab exercise!

Also nice profile pic, there is something blocking the view on the nice fire though ;-)
It's the pallets, isn't it. I knew I should've moved them.

So....the dragon head in your fire....is that in-camera or photoshopped?

Last edited:
Oh,the dragon was a very lucky catch...just made some pics and the wind has done the rest.

You said you live in a town where you can't make a good fire anymore,
how can making fires be illegal? Is it due to wood/forest fire danger?

Welcome to Unrepentant Gaming, Riadnasla. Being that you are a (relatively) newly minted husband, what words of wisdom would you share with grooms-to-be? What are some of the perks and boons of matrimony that you have experienced?

You have made a magnificent start to the application process... bravo sir!

Hopefully your active outdoor lifestyle will encourage me to get the hell out of my house more. Many of us are only semi-serious gamers. I have a RL job which requires my time and attention, and family and the gym pull me away from my computer as well. I have a love/hate relationship with all of them. :p

Stupid questions tend to be subjective. For example, I was at a real estate closing yesterday morning and the Seller asked several questions which had I not been sitting across the table from him would have made me roll my eyes and sigh at his idiocy. For someone not conversant in real estate transactions, those questions would have been fair game - but this guy was at the closing table asking questions he ought to have had his attorney answer months ago.

But enough about my snobbery. Check out these very silly questions and let me know your thoughts on each.

1. What would I find in your fridge right now?
2. If you could bring one character to life from your favorite book, who would it be?
3. Who would you most like to be stuck in an elevator with? Least like?
4. Would you have one of your fingers surgically removed if it guaranteed immunity from all major diseases?
5. If you could be any age again for one week, what age would you be?
6. What is your personal kryptonite? (Mine = mice. I lose my goddamned MIND over mice*. It's got to be a completely instinctual reaction since I tend to be pretty steady in a crisis.)

* My track record with dead mice is getting better as my cats have treated me to mouse disposal opportunities at least once a month for the past three months. Bring a live mouse to the scenario and all bets are off, I'm a shrieking mess.

Oh,the dragon was a very lucky catch...just made some pics and the wind has done the rest.

You said you live in a town where you can't make a good fire anymore,
how can making fires be illegal? Is it due to wood/forest fire danger?
Awesome catch then, dear sir.

Up north, in my hometown, we simply double-checked the forest fire risk charts, then decided on a day for the fire. Most of them have actually taken place in the dead of winter, when the fire becomes so hot that we all wear shorts in -30C weather and the snow evaporates before reaching us on the ground. To clarify, I am 5'10", and standing in front of the fire by approx 7' in my profile pic.

Down in Langley however, I'm surrounded by city-people and wusses. They're scared of everything here, and protect themselves to a fault. So yes, essentially it is a safety measure so that some inexperienced city-person doesn't set multiple houses on fire, or start a forest fire. The only fires allowed down here are safe cooking fires in designated areas (like campsites)

Being that you are a (relatively) newly minted husband, what words of wisdom would you share with grooms-to-be? What are some of the perks and boons of matrimony that you have experienced?
There are so many, it is difficult to answer in a page......but I'll share a couple of the more prominent ones.

1) No matter how close, how alike, etc., you were before marriage, you are typically going to be polar opposites to each other once you're married, because:
2) Your family backgrounds/traditions/attitudes/common activities and methods of performing similar tasks are ever so slightly differently in such a multitude of ways, that what should be an easy task, becomes a debate over which way it should be done.
3) You realize that no matter how comfortable you were together before marriage, you realize that you were acting, even subconsciously. After visiting (quite often) with my then girlfriend or fiancee, I could relax and play games, go for walks, or simply tune out the rest of the world. Once you're married, there's often no "away" time from each other, except when work schedules force there to be.
4) Last point, and this one of advice: Don't book up your time heavily in the first few months. Allow there to be as much wiggle room in your schedule as possible, because you need that time to debate which way the toilet paper rolls, how to cut the veggies, and whether you should use bleach to clean the kitchen after cooking with meat. All true stores btw.

Perks are definitely the companionship. Married life rocks, especially when they're into the same stuff you are, which means we always are playing or listening to music, going for adventures, or drinking beer in our no-responsibility time. My wife loves food, and quality food, so my typical "meat and potatoes" style of delicious cooking is mostly replaced with my wife's "colourful and deliciously interesting" cooking.

A big Con, (all personality traits adjustment aside) is definitely the miscommunication that is inevitable during the first (perhaps more) year. My wife has the tendency to hear all but the key word in my sentence (like "don't" or "not"), and acts accordingly. There are also the inadvertent guilt trips. My wife is very good at not using guilt trips or coercion, but when you commit to someone, then you feel tied to them, and want them to always be happy....this leads to some tension between what I want to do, and my wife's feelings.

You have made a magnificent start to the application process... bravo sir!

Hopefully your active outdoor lifestyle will encourage me to get the hell out of my house more. Many of us are only semi-serious gamers. I have a RL job which requires my time and attention, and family and the gym pull me away from my computer as well. I have a love/hate relationship with all of them.
Why thank you! Yes, it is always difficult to set aside gaming time when there is so much to be done around home and in my company. I don't really have a love/hate relationship with any of them, to be honest, but rather with my own time-management and prioritization.

1. What would I find in your fridge right now?
2. If you could bring one character to life from your favorite book, who would it be?
3. Who would you most like to be stuck in an elevator with? Least like?
4. Would you have one of your fingers surgically removed if it guaranteed immunity from all major diseases?
5. If you could be any age again for one week, what age would you be?
6. What is your personal kryptonite? (Mine = mice. I lose my goddamned MIND over mice*. It's got to be a completely instinctual reaction since I tend to be pretty steady in a crisis.)
1) Since I just returned from a 2-week honeymoon/mom's (surprise)b-day/1400kms roadtrip/ pickupthelastofmystuffbeforemomsellsthehouse, plus backpacking, camping, canoeing, and visiting all my old friends......not a ton of food. Still have the condiments (ketchup, mustard, relish (a.k.a. red-goop, yellow-goop, green-goop) Siracha, BBQ sauce (regular and Guinness) and leftover food/hotdogs from the trip. My wife and I are heading out this evening to re-stock it with lots of veggies, some hamburger, beef roast, potatoes, and who knows what else.

2) Ohh, tough one. Too many good characters. Just spent about 10 mins in front of my bookshelf......I'm going to have to say Dresden from Jim Butcher's series, "The Dresden Files". A bit cliched to pick him, but in reality, if people are summoning fictional entities at a whim, I'd want him around to help sort out the bad/evil summonings.

3) Heck, why not. Mysteryguitarman from YouTube. He can make music with pretty much anything, so we'd have a blast keeping ourselves entertained.

Least: Joss Whedon, George R.R. Martin, or Steven Moffat. For obvious reasons, all my loved ones would die in such a way that I couldn't help but applaud at.

4) Tough choice, but no. I play piano, bass, guitar, and edit video. I need all those fingers.

5) Probably around 5-8. There was a place called "Bubba-Balous"(?) that had a 5-storey sprawling play area with all the tubes, windows, mesh ladders, ball-pits, etc., a child could ever hope for. I don't think I'll currently fit, so my only way to return is to go as a child.

6) Flies. Read my worst job description. I think it traumatized me. I can take a few small ones buzzing around, or a big one or two, but this last week, I was camping in a remote location, and the Horse Flies........*shudder* Imagine having 4-5 of those, plus mosquitoes and Deer Flies, all buzzing around you constantly, too hungry to let bug dope deter them. No thanks. At least I can kill spiders more easily.

Last edited:
I like this gent.

Does your missus also game or does she take advantage of your game time to do her own thing?

Does your missus also game or does she take advantage of your game time to do her own thing?
She tells me that she used to be addicted to Sims and Harry Potter, but has cut off that behavior when other life matters took priority (university). I have tried getting her into Orcs Must Die, AoE2, and next, probably into Minecraft.

For now, I tend to game when she is at work or with friends, and spend quality time when she is around. She also writes weekly short articles for a couple sites, so I sometimes put headphones on so that I do not regularly drop by her desk when she is working.

I just realized that I cannot find a Dota2 area of the forum......should I apply for LoL instead?

No need. You'll be considered a community application rather than a game-specific app and that only affects how we officers tally our votes. Carry on with this splendid application and we'll handle the rest.

If you wish, your application can be amended to include LOL as one of your games of interest, which may encourage LOL gamers to also visit your application. Let us know.

That would be much appreciated, as I actually know that game better than Dota2. I've only recently started Dota2, since I've been told that the "community" is less toxic.

I think there are a couple of us who could be persuaded to play LoL with you.

Thing to note though: I require sad kitty pics before I'll play. This can be substituted with mocking Valec for the entirety of the match though.

Who is your champion that you know if you get him/her, you'll rock the house? Favorite skin of all time?

I typically rock with Annie, except when some tank catches up with me.

Last edited:
What is a question literally too stupid to ask?
Nah, I always thought there are no stupid questions, just stupid people with questions :p

Will my love of all outdoor adventures hurt my gamer rep?
...What is this "outdoor adventure" ? A new MMO?

If a man speaks, and there is no woman to correct him.....is he still wrong?
Yes.

All joking aside, welcome to the app process. I'm the local guide to enlightement and purity and innocence.
Glad to have more people playing League, but as for myself, I only play ARAMS, and not that good. lol.

You can add me up if you want, Cytarra as the summoner's name.

PS : I would vote yes just based on the pyromaniac, I'd have someone to get rid of the people getting accidentally stabbed to death around me.

Ah yes....look at all the stupid people......

...What is this "outdoor adventure" ? A new MMO?
No, it's actually my pet name for a certain mod for ARMA2......all kidding aside, I have as many scars due to outdoor adventures as I do from 10 years of construction labour.

Yes..."accidentally" stabbed......it'll be excellent to have some kebab skewers for my BBQ party. ;)

Top Bottom