Do you Facebook? why? why not?

200 million people and counting for facebook which started in 2004. My wife and I are both on it and i have found 3 lost friends that i have gotten back in touch with thru face book. I get on at least once a day to write witty comments on people's status's like i do here.lol.
I read peoples status's and realize how great my life really is. Some of my friends, co workers, and realitives are really messed up people. But soooo funny. I update my status about every couple days nothing special. I do play several of the facebook games and enjoy them very much. Here are a few.

Fish wrangler - has become an obsession of mine. Very simple. you fish. earn gold, buy better stuff then fish some more. You can buy boats, different rods, chum.. etc. currently i have about 750,000 points and climbing.

Battle Stations - lvl 53 right now. Basically you have an air ship (like a blimp but it has armor, sails, wings..etc) you costomize it the way you want it. One of the cool features is when your attacked by another ship or creature you get to see the battle in awesome 2-d. quite fun.

Mouse hunt - same principle as fish wrangler but you hunt mice. I am currently lv 3 or 4 aout of 8 i think. Buy cheese and a better mouse trap etc.

Cafe World - build a diner. i am currently lvl 28 i think. make food ,serve it, build a bigger cafe.. repeat.

Bejeweled Blitz - you have 1 min to make as many points as possible in this puzzle game. Fantastic stress burner. most ever for me is about 275,000. but some of my friends have reached 300,000+. You compete against friends that play it as well and every tuesday scores reset.

Landgrab - It is risk. you can play thru facebook or just go to landgrab.net. you can play up to 4 games for free. I liked it so much i coughed up $20 for a year membership. ( i think lifetime is $60) I have about 40 games going right now. 100's of players, you can make your own map for 2-80 players. masterpip does this as well.

I do enjoy facebook but I think it is just because of the games. although my wife is slightly obbsesed she is always on it moslty looking at other people walls and reading their info.. creepy.

PM me if your playing any games and i'll add you to my facebook. even if i dont play games i dont mind signing up to help you out. just expect the same treatment.

Dao Jones

I am the Waffleman. Goo goo gajoob.
I have a Facebook account but I don't play the games. I resisted for years, but capitulated earlier this year when some friends finally convinced me to jump onboard.

I have facebook here, but only play farmville, and i havnt planted anything in over 2 weeks so i only play when i feel like it.

I check it a lot,why i do not know cause its not like i do anything on there lol

I too am on facebook, though I don't play any of the games as I'm too busy with real games. Its fun to check every once in a while, and I actually rediscovered an old friend who I've started hanging out with again.

Dao Jones

I've been "contacted" by several old friends, but I've ignored all but one of the friend requests. I feel kinda bad, but I guess ignoring the request is better than saying "hey - you know why I never looked you up after high school? Yeah... it's because I didn't like you all that much."

The other downside is family that want to be on your Facebook list. I like to keep my family and the rest of my life VERY separate. Fortunately, they're all too polite to ask why I don't accept their invites. :D

FYI - this is why you never, ever allow your family to access your Facebook page:

huntgod

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds
Promoter
I do not and will not be using facebook...I am crotchety and irritable enough without sharing it with the world.

I don't myspace either.

My biggest issue with these social sites, aside from creating the belief in many people that others actually give a shit what they think, is that once something is out there...it's out there.

I've had friends, in a moment of stupidity, say and post some pretty dumbass stuff and then try to retract it. Seems like everyday I hear another horror story of someone losing a job, security clearance, spouse, over the stupid shit that gets posted to these sites.

My sister in law almost lost a job because her retard sister (not my wife) decided to take a petty argument onto the web and the prospective employer saw it and almost decided to retract a job offer.

I make my kids treat these sites like kryptonite...I call these social sites Pedomarts :)

I also hate texting...and think cell phones have destroyed civility and courtesy in this country, and others.

huntgod said:
I do not and will not be using facebook...I am crotchety and irritable enough without sharing it with the world.

I don't myspace either.

My biggest issue with these social sites, aside from creating the belief in many people that others actually give a shit what they think, is that once something is out there...it's out there.

I've had friends, in a moment of stupidity, say and post some pretty dumbass stuff and then try to retract it. Seems like everyday I hear another horror story of someone losing a job, security clearance, spouse, over the stupid shit that gets posted to these sites.

My sister in law almost lost a job because her retard sister (not my wife) decided to take a petty argument onto the web and the prospective employer saw it and almost decided to retract a job offer.

I make my kids treat these sites like kryptonite...I call these social sites Pedomarts :)

I also hate texting...and think cell phones have destroyed civility and courtesy in this country, and others.
excellent. read the book Ariel by steven r. boyett.

www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?artic ... 4977781855

Re: Do you use Facebook? why? why not?

I would just like to point out that the use of Facebook(or any other social networking site) as a verb annoys me to no end.

That said, I do use Facebook. I don't play any of the games, as I would rather play a real game. I mostly use it to keep in touch with my high school friends. I comment on their status updates sometimes, but mostly I just wall stalk people.

I have a facebook page and seldom update it. I may post something inane or a picture of an empty beer glass, but I seldom ever update my status.

I never play the games and the once or twice a week I actually check my facebook, I hide all the game feeds that appear. I really don't give a shit how many cows you milk or how many mafia dollars you made.

I think facebook and myspace can be used for great things... providing people dont believe I need to know they are tired of doing dishes or that they have been handing out virtual parking tickets. If people actually utilized it as a communication and networking tool, it works.

As it is now, I have a crap load of former high school chums that I may or may not have even hung out with. And just about all of them believe that I am hanging on their every "my feet are sore" posts.

I'll be the first to admit I use Facebook frequently. I started using it when it first came out because I really just couldn't be bothered with Myspace and Facebook was an easy means of connecting with my cousins (who all live in Chile or on the other side of Canada). Since then I've re-connected with friends I've met through out my youth that honestly I had forgotten even existed. I now use it as a means of communication with my husband while he's in the States visiting family. I don't really play the games as there are far too many, and really the constant feeds are so annoying. I pretty much ignore all requests, because honestly I have better things to do than spam people with a daily fix of virtual drinks or pixelated snowballs. But it's interesting to see how people are doing, look at pictures of my niece, and my baby sister on the Island and see how they're growing.

Also I like cyber stalking people :p Mind you that being said, I still don't think I'll ever be able to get into or used to Twitter. :?

Arual said:

Also I like cyber stalking people :p Mind you that being said, I still don't think I'll ever be able to get into or used to Twitter. :?
Yeah, I don't get twitter at all.

This comic was the first time I heard of Twitter. After looking into it a bit more and finding out that it WAS mostly filled with people posting every little mundane, uninteresting detail of their lives(things that NO ONE would care about); I decided to avoid it. I can think of some things that is useful for, but none of the uses I can think of interest me. Mostly though, the arbitrary 140 character limit always upset me. If I want butchered English, I'll stick to texting and instant messaging. At least in that case I KNOW who the fuck is making my head hurt with unnecessary abbreviations.

I started a facebook mainly to keep in easy contact with my friends from Highschool and to keep track of the load of folks I meet through my adventures in gaming, got hooked on Mafia wars on it thanks to my Dad and off and on it's a great way to let out a Rant or 2 or see how many people on your list you can get to spew coffee at their screens laughing.

It's even proved useful in being a great medium for finding new music and entertainment as folks like to post songs they like, online comics, and stuff Like AVGN (Angry Video Game Nerd for those unfamiliar)

http://www.cinemassacre.com/new/?page_id=1177

so it's pretty sweet and normally i'm a hatefilled curmudgeon genetically bred to live in a peat bog in terms of interactions with regular people let alone willing to admit I.....kinda....sort....like..............Eddie Money

Now I must go blow my eardrums out with Gamma Ray, Helloween,Sonata Arctica, and Hammerfall, with some Sabaton to erase the brain cells responsible for making me admit that :lol: .

Twitter has actually become a useful means of communication in freedom restricted countries.

During the Iranian elections, Twitter was going to have a maintenance downtime, but was postponed due to the urging of the US State Department.

Fennec said:
Twitter has actually become a useful means of communication in freedom restricted countries.

During the Iranian elections, Twitter was going to have a maintenance downtime, but was postponed due to the urging of the US State Department.
Sounds like it may be useful here in our own country then...

I use Facebook. Great for keeping in touch with current friends and long lost ones. It did get a little annoying when about 100 of my extended in-laws tried to barge in, but I told my wife about the group ignore and it's all good.

Dao Jones

I find using Facebook is much less annoying if you just establish a few rules for yourself. Mine look like this:

1. Family and friends do not mix. None of my family is in my Facebook circle, and they won't be in the future. If this offends them, I'll just say "family and friends don't mix", and that's that.

2. I don't need to be friends with everyone. I don't use Facebook to reconnect with people I haven't spoken to since high school (with one exception); and you know why? There's a reason I haven't spoken to them since high school. There's a very small group of people I'd actually want to talk to from those days, and if they find me, they can reconnect with me. Likewise, friends of friends or family of friends don't get invites or accepted invites from me.

3. People that feel the need to tell us what they're doing every five minutes (i.e. using Facebook like a Twitter account) get blocked.

Of course, if you're one of those people that has a problem saying "no", then that may not work for you.

I don't cause I don't know anyone who would care about my life.

You know, that sounded alot less depressing in my head.

Death_Rictus

Shotgun Enthusiast
huntgod said:

I don't myspace either.

This. Though I do have a myspace page... that I check frequently*...

*Frequently is a term subject to interpretation. In this case it means once every couple months.

Top Bottom