CO Application: Xayun

Which branch(es) are you joining us in? (Aion, Champs, DDO): Champions Online.

Are you over 18? (you must be 18+ to apply) Yup, 21.

Are you a member of any other guild in that game? No, I tend not to pay attention to "Blahblah recruiting" shouts in MMOs. That, and any I do join I tend to up leaving, as most people in them are either too serious about the game, are gigantic douches, or because the presence of the drama llama is prevalent.

What is the name/class/current level of the character(s) you intend to join with? Techknight - Power Armour - 28

Do you have friends or family in the guild? If so what is their forum name? Nein.

Did you read our charter and rules? Which rules translation was your favorite? Scottish, I like accurate representations.

Do you have an issue using Ventrilo? (Being able to at least listen is helpful for active participation in PvP/raids) No, sir.

Fully answer the following 4 questions:
1. Tell us the story of the dumbest thing you have ever done: As a young lad, only knee-high to a grasshopper, I thought I would impress my friends and seem super cool by climbing up onto my house's roof and jumping off. So, I did that, landed funny, fell over onto my hand and broke two of my fingers. Because I didn't want my parents to know about my youthful hijinks, I just twisted them back into what I thought was their approximate "normal" position and said nothing more about it. My pinky's all crooked now!
Second to that would probably be the many, many number of times I've shot my mouth off and gotten into fisticuffs because of it. I'm not exactly a big guy, so most of the fights I've been in over the years have involved me violently attacking someone's fists with my face.
2. What is your Zombie Plan? Well, it's pretty simple, all things considered. Right now, I'm busting my ass 9-5 in order to make money (disregard females, acquire currency, that'd be my motto if I thought the other half would let me get away with it). What am I going to do with that money, I hear you silently ask? What I'm going to do is invest it. That's what my dad always told me to do, and it probably would have worked for him, if he had done it. I'm going to invest it in any of those Japanese robotics firms that I like the sound of the name of, and I'm going to put them hard at work on designing a fully functional, fully awesome battle-bot. This will be my army against the threat of the zombie hordes. What can a zombie do to a robot? That's right, nothing, except maybe bleed and/or vomit on it.
3. Tell us the story of why you will no longer drink any cocktail: Cocktails are two for £5 in Templelane. So far this has only led to horrible mixes, vomiting, exposure of body parts and passing out in the backhoe of a JCB. Quite frankly, I'm surprised none of my organs have been sold on the black market.
4. Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming: This one time, I won a drawing competition for Fox Kids by drawing a Beetleborg. Got my name on Teletext and everything!
I play drums in the spare time I have that's not spent gaming, been doing so for about five or six years now. I don't pretend I'm that great, but I can hold a beat and that's the main thing, right?
Aside from those I can't really think of anything that's cool. I've been told I'm not cool plenty of times, can I list things about me that aren't cool?

Quick survey! We will totally judge you by the answers you make below:
• Favorite Type of Music: Pretty much anything with decent drums behind it, although the most common genres you'll find in my library are various kinds of rock and electronica.
• Favorite Movie: Blade Runner. Harrison Ford is a man's man.
• Favorite Book: Neuromancer
• Favorite Drink: White Russian
• Favorite Non MMO Game: It's either Baldur's Gate II or Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike.

Aethyre

Rainbow Warrior
Wow, I mean, I really want to make fun of this app right now, but it is kind of difficult. It's not like you blew us off and posted bullshit responses (with the exception of your zombie plan, fix that please) but at the same time, you gave us nothing to work with. The application isn't just here so you can say you filled this out, it's here so we can get a feel for your personality, and as of right now, we aren't seeing it at all. Dammit, one of my favorite things to do on this forum is tease new applicants, and you are denying me that, I demand you give me something about you to make fun of, or I'm going to make something up and spread the rumor that it's true.

*If we don't see a quick response on this one, then I've decided the REAL dumbest thing he's ever done is getting drunk and volunteering to get up on stage as a guest star at that donkey show he and his friends went to watch while he was on spring break...

Thanks for the feedback. I've added a little more, although I'll admit it's still lacking. Personality-wise, I'm not sure if I could make that shine through in an application. Maybe I don't have one to shine through? One of my teachers in high school did tell me I was an empty vessel, I think that might be the problem here.

Apart from the zombie plan, which I've filled out a bit, are there any sections in particular that aren't sitting well with you?

EDIT: Something to make fun of? No shortage of that. You could make fun of the fact that I apparently look like a slightly fugly Harry Potter, if you like, that was the go-to tease during my formative years.

Aethyre

Rainbow Warrior
Looking a bit better, nice to see a real zombie plan, though I disagree with it. Forget currency, acquire females! They are more entertaining the currency, you can trade them for weapons after the zombie apocalypse, and if the zombies are getting close, sacrifice one of the girls to distract them while you and the rest of your harem escape!

Now the only thing that I have to make fun of is you liking a white russian, I don't care what The Dude says, mixing alcohol with milk is just a bad idea. Well, I suppose I can also make fun of you for that donkey show...

:D

I'll concede you the females, that sounds like it could work...but I'm going to keep going with the robots idea, I've already put in the time, you know? I guess we'll see how things turn out when the apocalypse hits. Hit me up when it looks safe to travel!

As for the motto, well, if it's good enough for Alexander Hamilton...

And oh yeah, mixing alcohol with milk has never, and will never, be up there in terms of good ideas. But those White Russians...the taste, man...it's like drugs in liquid form, if most major forms of intravenous injection drug weren't already drugs in liquid form.

Aethyre

Rainbow Warrior
Quick on your responses, good sense of humor...

So far so good, man.

I want to give everyone else a chance to tease the hell out of you before I start getting too complimentary.

PS. I want pics from the donkey show

Have to agree on 'Favourite Book : 'Neuromancer', one of the earliest & still possibly best cyberpunk novels. That series also gave one of my favourite descriptions of just how different the thought processes of an AI would be compared to us meat-bags.

Judging by the answers to the cocktail & translation questions, I take it you are from Dundee. Not from there myself, it was just that rather a lot turned up in Google relating to cocktails when I entered 'Templelane'. On the subject of cocktails, did you ever read the 'William Gibson' Short story called 'The Belonging Kind' in his collection 'Burning Chrome'? Still one of my favourite short stories even after 20 years since I first read it.

How high was the roof you jumped off? When in was a kid I used to like jumping of the garage roof and trying to land like the Hulk, but never had the nerve to try anywhere much higher than that. Was the gravity rush exhilirating before the broken fingers part?

Impressed by the Beetleborg competition, after you've had your name on Teletext, what's left?

Dao Jones

I am the Waffleman. Goo goo gajoob.
I'm glad I missed the early version of this app, because the version I just read was most excellent. Thanks to Xayun for stepping it up, and for the people that kicked his butt to do so.

I predict a yes vote in his future. Just get in game with us and get chatty.

Aethyre

Rainbow Warrior
Dao Jones said:
Thanks to Xayun for stepping it up, and for the people that kicked his butt to do so.
Smacking applicants around to whoop 'em into shape. Hey, it's what I'm good at

ChaosByNight: Yeah, Neuromancer is great, Gibson's a very good writer. I've been looking for more books like it, any recommendations?
I haven't checked that short story out, no. I'm going to be doing that Christmas shopping-stuff over the next few days, though, so I'll be sure to look for it when I'm in Borders. Just read up a little on it, it's not set in the Sprawl? I don't think I've read a Gibson story not set in that universe yet, so now I'm even more interested...

As for the roof? High to a kid, not to anyone over the age of 12. I mean, we're talking a ground-floor roof here. It looked a lot more impressive when you were young and dumber. Of course, falling over and breaking your bones doesn't look impressive to anyone, so I guess the height of the roof doesn't really come into it.

Thanks for the support, gents. I can't make it online tonight, but I'll be playing Champions tomorrow, so I'm hoping to catch you guys then.

Death_Rictus

Shotgun Enthusiast
If you enjoyed Neuromancer and haven't already done so, check out Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.

Looking forward to running into you in game. Should be interesting. And I am disappointing that I didn't get to this app sooner, before the repairs.

All the missed opportunities..

'Burning Chrome' is an excellent collection of early Gibson material, as well as my favourite 'The Belonging Kind', it contains the original version of 'Johnny Mnemonic' (which also introduces 'Molly' from 'Neuromancer' & is way better than the movie) & a wonderfully dark short story called 'The Winter Market'.

I've read most of Gibson's 'Non Sprawl' stuff, but my favourite was 'Pattern Recognition' publshed in 2002 which was set in 'Current Day'. It's pretty different from his other material, but still has the same overall feel despite being limited to current technology.

If you want to read something which makes your head spin in loops, try 'Diaspora' by 'Greg Egan'. It's about people who have become AIs & transmit themselves into a 'Four Dimensional Universe'. It's really funny trying to imagine walking in a forest where the trees cast three dimensional shadows.

Zandar1

Guild Master Meister, Messer Mover Monsieur
Community Officer
Gibson, check. SF3 3rd Strike, also not bad. Jumping off a roof and then maiming yourself...kinda scary but interesting clinically.

Alexander Hamilton and White Russians, classic.

Yeah man, look us up in game. Diggin' the app so far.

This one time, I won a drawing competition for Fox Kids by drawing a Beetleborg.
Pics or it probably happened anyway but I'm going to declare that it was fabricated!

Also stop being a good applicant! I want to make fun of you for being scottish and its hard when you're cool! :p

Well, I sent the drawing off to them, so I don't have it anymore and thus can't provide pics. I'm sure if I wrote them and asked for it back they'd give me it, though. That, or just not reply and write me off as some weird random. On second thoughts, I don't think I'll ask for it back.

But I can show you what I won...this!
I'm going to be honest, in hindsight, the effort was greater than the payoff.

Dao Jones

I am the Waffleman. Goo goo gajoob.
Xayun said:
But I can show you what I won...this!
I'm going to be honest, in hindsight, the effort was greater than the payoff.
It looks like a prototype Companion Cube. I guess you were too young for a Portal Gun.

Anyway, I'll vote Yes.

Top Bottom