Broken forum stuff we need Foul/a web admin to fix

Dao Jones

I am the Waffleman. Goo goo gajoob.
I'm going to start a list here, and then poke Foul with a sharp pointy stick (but not SharpPointyStick) until it gets fixed, because it's driving us all nuts, someone needs to get our forums working properly again, and that someone ain't me.

Please post if you can think of anything else, and I'll add it in here.

Foul's Fix-It List

1. Blank edit box when you reply to or edit threads (High)
2. Random pictures attaching to replies (Low)
3. Logout timer when you haven't clicked "remember me" (Medium) - should be set to 30 min now, let me know if that is too short or causes problems
4. Character limit in posts (Low) - was 10000 is now 100000. thats 10x as much, hope it doesnt break :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Mutiny

Unrepentant's Andy Griffith
Community Officer
This is a good start. However, I see this:

1. Blank edit box when you reply to or edit threads (High)
When I reply to a thread, I'm pretty sure I should be starting with no text, and I think the quote feature is working fine, right?

williamsond

DDO Usurper
these issues can only be resolved by human/panda sacrifice over the server...

Pikul

Will Save For Food
This is a good start. However, I see this:

When I reply to a thread, I'm pretty sure I should be starting with no text, and I think the quote feature is working fine, right?
Yeah.. I think a more accurate description of the problem is: "when previewing a drafted post, or editing an existing post".

The "Reply with Quote" feature does seem to always work. Meaning, if I try to edit my existing post and it shows up with a blank box, if I instead "reply with quote", my post magically appears within the QUOTE tags, and I can copy/paste into a notepad from there, go back and edit my post.

foulsoul

The Big Tomato
Community Leader
not the solution, or at least not when i tried it, but this could be pointing us in the right direction.

Originally Posted by Thunderbird Looking at the CKEditor site, it appears that a change in the default encoding of htmlspecialchars() (from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8) causes the editor to throw a blank box in some instances. Peachy.

I fixed it on my board by the following change to /vb/ckeditor.php

Line 507:
htmlspecialchars($value)

Changed to

htmlspecialchars($value, ENT_COMPAT | ENT_HTML401, "ISO-8859-1")
or it could be this: Did your host just upgrade your server to PHP5.4? If so, tell them to go back to PHP5.3 or tell them to put you on a server running PHP5.3. vB4 is currently not compatible with PHP5.4

Last edited:

foulsoul

The Big Tomato
Community Leader
session time out should have been 15 min, it is now set to 30 min. having everyone stay on for longer periods of time will drag down the system in some way. so keep that in mind. I have just doubled it to 30 min so we will see if that helps.

Mutiny

Community Officer
That should be fine, Foul. While entirely possible for thoughtful folks to spend more than fifteen minutes filling out an application, thirty minutes should be plenty. Thank you.

So the empty text box bug is possibly an errant character each time we see it, supported by ISOblablablah but not UTF or vice versa?

foulsoul

The Big Tomato
Community Leader
it definitely showed up as soon as we moved. sykotix had some issue i dont understand migrating the database over so I always assumed if i some how fixed that (or ran all the little database doohickys) that it might resolve. but after reading that I wonder if we have a different non compatible version of php that we are trying to run vbulletin on.

what i'm really shocked about is the fact that we, you know paid for this shit, and they cant be arsed to keep vbulletin up to date with things and stuff.

(or perhaps we should you know upgrade vbulletin before i eat more crow)

Wait you guys fixed character limit?!?!
FRACK YEAH!!!!
OMFG (Oh my fracking Gorf)
LOVING YOU WITH ALL MY HEART AND MY NAUGHTY BITS....

You can see what version of PHP we're running by looking in the AdminCP (I think. I can't remember. Unrepentant was the last site I used vBulletin on for obvious reasons. They really went to shit since the last time I used them).

You can also upload a php file to the server with
<?
phpinfo();
?>

I highly doubt Shawn will downgrade PHP to 5.3 from 5.4, as that has the potential to compromise the security of the other websites he hosts on that same server... When you require things like that, you're better off getting a virtual server and spinning up your own setup, since at this point you're now requiring a specialized setup.

The bottom line with the issues we're seeing with the Editor (Blank edit boxes, and Enter not working on the newest IE on Windows 8), is that it's all related to an older version of ckeditor thats built into vbulletin. Since the dev team is working on vb5, they haven't found the need to update the vb4 code with an updated ckeditor.

You have really 4 choices to fix this issue:

1. Hire/Find someone who can update the ckeditor code in our vbulletin to the latest version that doesn't have these issues. IF your lucky, someone may have allready done the work for us, and we can just buy it off them pre-packaged. Look on vbulletin.com and vbulletin.org.

2. Upgrade to vbulletin 5. Apparently all of these issues are fixed. The theme SHOULD be able to be ported over, as there aren't a lot of template differences. Might need to work on finding or porting some of the plugins. A warning though; vbulletin 5 hasn't been taken very well by the community. It might be time to move on.

3. Consider going with a new backend instead of vbulletin (I know, it's only been a year, but new web technology is coming out every day now). vBulletin is very resource heavy, so it could be a good reason to switch. It also seems that with the corporate buyout of vbulletin by internet brands, it's support has gone to shit and alot of big sites are jumping ship over to invision power board or Xenforo. Xenforo seems to be what many people are jumping too since a few of the old school good vbulletin developers(Including the founder of vbulletin.org) are the founders of Xenforo. Xenforo is also cheaper.

4. Disable the advanced editor all together and just use the very basic editor supplied with vbulletin.

Last edited:
Third largest market share on the internet is still alot of people.

Ya, it does seem wasteful. vbulletin.org/com it is then. I'm sure we're not the only ones stuck back on v4 having this issue. Tons of sites run v4.

Mutiny

Community Officer
Internet Explorer is still the leader in some things. For instance, it's the number one browser for downloading a better browser.

Dao Jones

I am the Waffleman. Goo goo gajoob.
I wonder if Chrome's supremacy is due to the number of Android phones?

I think it's definitely the Android phones and tablets. But Chrome is slightly more popular than Firefox as a whole if I remember correctly. I use Chrome at work because Firefox runs all my tabs I need for work, but at home I run Firefox.

Top Bottom