Beer...bitter, belgian, or black?

Are you from Long Island? Just asking because Port Jeff doesn't really travel. Not a huge barley wine guy, but I do love that Gordon.
I'm originally from upstate, but I currently (and for the forseeable future) live in Astoria. ^_^

I love IPA's and stouts, so I'll say bitter and black, but I also enjoy lighter beers like Corona etc. The only kind of beers I can't drink are wheat beers because the give me a terrible headache (also Miller High Life). I like beers to have double digit ABV's, so if it says Imperial, I'll probably like it. Favorites are Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA and Bourbon County Stout. Now I live in California and can't get my hands on them :(

Honestly, my favorite beer is Yeungling Lager. It's easy enough to get piss your pants on the bathroom floor drunk on it too. I'm originally from Pennsylvania where it's brewing started, so I might be biased. lager.png

When I was stationed in Okinawa, I loved the local beer. beer_36397.jpg

Honestly, my favorite beer is Yeungling Lager. It's easy enough to get piss your pants on the bathroom floor drunk on it too. I'm originally from Pennsylvania where it's brewing started, so I might be biased. View attachment 9545

When I was stationed in Okinawa, I loved the local beer. View attachment 9546
Yeungling is definitely solid. I drank a lot of it when I lived on the east coast, but I haven't seen seen it out west which is sad :(

Komrade, I had that same problem when I was stationed in Cali.

I did enjoy the Fat Tire while I was out there. It wasn't a replacement, it was just a stopgap however. I'm having a big problem living in Vancouver now. I haven't found anything that I'd really call a great beer yet since being here. I can drink Molson Canadian, but that's mostly because the brewery is downtown so it's fresh, and it reminds me of most of the American pisswater. It's like when you go to a party and you crack open a can of Coors light or Miller light. You don't club the host(ess) to death, you just smile and say your favorite beer is the one in your hand.

PS: Want to get wake up with a catheter in drunk? Try some of Pittsburgh's Iron City (I.C) Light.

Fat tire is decent, but not really my thing. I do like Pliny the Elder IPA a lot though, but that's expensive craft type stuff.

Oh man I bought a case of Molson's when I was throwing a Fantasy Hockey draft party a couple years back. There was so much left over :(

Surprised I haven't heard of IC Light. I came from the land of Natty Boh

I'm originally from upstate, but I currently (and for the forseeable future) live in Astoria. ^_^
Oh, I grew up in Astoria. Right after I left it got all nice & gentrified. Couldn't even afford to move back if I wanted to. I live close to Flushing now.

Had any beers from Big Alice? What's your favorite bar in town? I'm guessing you might work at Astoria Bier & Cheese? I've had a few there. Applied for a bartending gig there last year & never heard back. Wah. :p

I prefer my beer black with a sweet finish. Porters and Stouts are my go-to. I can enjoy an IPA or APA, but sometimes I get this really off-putting formaldehyde-like flavor from them.

IPA for me. There is an IPA out here in LA called "Wolf Among the Weeds" and it's amazing. Super hoppy, super delicious.

IPA for me. There is an IPA out here in LA called "Wolf Among the Weeds" and it's amazing. Super hoppy, super delicious.
I'll have to keep my eye out for that. Ever try Hop Czar? That's my go to cheaper craft IPA. Where I live its about $9 for a six pack and packs a nice little punch at 7.5% ABV.

I'll have to keep my eye out for that. Ever try Hop Czar? That's my go to cheaper craft IPA. Where I live its about $9 for a six pack and packs a nice little punch at 7.5% ABV.
Well holy damn, I will have to check that out. I have heard of Hop Czar, but have ye to try it.

Thanks for the tip!

thought I'd pop in and drop a line and resurrect this :)

I like Guinness. I put it in its own type, because no stout i've ever had comes close to it. They are all much more bitter to me. and Black beers are too thin. It's quite interesting. :)

Outside of Guinness, I too am a fan of IPA. I'm not sure I have a favorite, as I tend to drink them mostly at brewfests. They can make me burp a lot, which isn't so much fun :(

My wife and I actually bonded over trying new beers. She loves to try new stuff. We're going to be brewing our own beer in July, no idea what kind, but we're looking forward to it!

also, just wanted to say, one beer that is pretty awesome is called Old Engine Oil. This stuff is so dark that you swear it sucks up the light. Very good. They make a fancier version of it where they store it in whisky-used casks, called Ola Dubh. Very very tasty. Kinda sweet flavor. Highly recommend them both.

I'll have to try the Old Engine Oil, keeger. Is it anything like the Brazilian beer, Xingu?

I've never had Xingu. In fact, I've never had a brazillian beer.

That reminds me. I was at an Italian restaurant recently and wanted a Peroni. They shockingly did not carry that, but the waiter brought me a turkish beer called Efes. It was pretty much the same thing as a Peroni. So if you crave one of those and they don't have it, ask for Efes and you won't notice any difference.

I know those lighter beers are sometimes passe, but I do like a crisp beer that does not taste like crap and doesn't bloat me up either :) My wife would use Blue Moon in this instance, but I think I drank too many heifeweizens in my younger years. :(

Last edited:
Considering it doesn't seem very fancy, it should be right? heh. Replace budweiser with Peroni! let's start the movement folks!

Black for me, stouts have always been my favorite. Russian Imperial, even better. I appreciate all beer though.

I'm starting to want to go red, Flemish Red... Duchess, Monk's Cafe, Bacchus... Just wish they weren't $5+/bottle.

Top Bottom