Beer...bitter, belgian, or black?

So in an interest in seeing where this community's tastes lie, I thought I'd dive into something controversial. Personally, I'm a big IPA fan and almost always opt for a pale variant, so I have to go with bitter. I do love me some Belgians too, both sours and "bready", but the good ones are far too expensive for every day drinking (have had my last Westvleteren sitting in the grotto for over a year now). Big dark beers can be really tasty too, but only if I'm in the mood for them.

Any broad category I'm missing? I suppose Budweiser could be another "B" choice, for those who aren't really into beer. :D

huntgod

GalactHunt, Eater of Guilds
Promoter
There is a thread about this in our Life forum, but it's not viewable to the public.

I like my beer large, cheap with as much alcohol as legal...

I do enjoy the occasional premium brew, but many of them are too hoppy for my plebeian palette.

Sam Adams can kiss my buttocks, but a Killians Red is always welcome...

I'm an unfiltered wheat beer kinds of guy. A good Belgian white is always good as well. I'm not a huge bitters fan. We have a fair number of skilled homebrewers in the U who know lots about beer.

I'm more of a whisky man myself. Currently on a real rye whisky kick.

I've been known to rotate between the three to be honest. I am on an IPA kick right now and this is my go to as of right now.

Dao Jones

I am the Waffleman. Goo goo gajoob.
Definitely Belgian. Preferably a good Chimay.

I've really been enjoying Allegash beers over the past year; I had their Confluence at a Long Beach alehouse of good renown, and it may literally be the best beer I have ever had in my entire life. (Better than Pliny the Younger, in my personal opinion.)

Definitely Belgian. Preferably a good Chimay.

I've really been enjoying Allegash beers over the past year; I had their Confluence at a Long Beach alehouse of good renown, and it may literally be the best beer I have ever had in my entire life. (Better than Pliny the Younger, in my personal opinion.)
The Confluence is awesome. The Allegash Odyssey is also an amazing beer, and the first dark wheat I have ever tried.

Zar

I like many kinds of beer, though I am no fan of fruit beers or very sweet ones. In the spring/summer I drink more wheat beers/IPAs, in the winter I drink abbey/trappist beers or other dubbel/tripel/quadrupel beers.

We have some places here that stock quite a few US (and UK) beers and I generally like those IPA's from there very much.

I'm stuck on pretty much anything from Stone Breweries right now.

Last edited:
Oh wow, my opinion the more opaque the better... imperial and milk stouts are my go to. The more it looks like over used motor oil the better! The bourbon barrel beers I've found to be great.

Arrogant Bastard from Stone is a good one. I had one yesterday from EvilTwin called Molotov Cocktail. 13% ABV.

If you can't tell, I like my beer strong. I generally have only one drink a day so I like to get in as much punch as possible.

I always love when this topic comes up because it gives me some great ideas for something to try. Southern Tier has some good stuff, although I tend to agree with hunt & generally stay away from hoppy beers, but now and then something with a bit more kick is appreciated! Right now I'm working on some Victory Golden Monkey which locks in at a solid 9.5%, but for my "every day" I stick to something milder like Stella (if I can find some on sale) or Heiny. I also agree with slayer, by counting Heiny & Sammy as the exception to "Mass-market beers suck!"

That Molotov sounds pretty good though, and 13%? Oh yes please! :D

I am normally an I PA fan myself with Wells banana bread bitter currently sitting at 1st ill also drink a nice blonde or spirit. And have been known to appreciate an alcoholic ginger beer as well.

My current go-to is Uinta's Hop Notch/Nosh, one of the best IPAs in recent memory for me.

Ninkasi's Spring Reign also currently has a seasonal spot in the beer fridge rotation.

I'm a big fan of Stone's IPA and DIPA, and my current Belgian options (when I indulge) are Duchesse de Bourgnone (sour) and Trappistes Rochefort 10 and St Bernadus Abt. 12 (quads).

Zar

Not a fan of really thick and heavy beers, but I also am growing a hatred for mass-produced beers with exception of Sam Adams and Heineken.
Not sure what kind of beer Heineken exports, but the general opinion among beer affectionados in the Netherlands is that it is a sub par pilsner.

We had a local tasting and Allegash was, to me, the far away winner. For US brewers, I think Ommegang is my fav so far. Founders is the bomb, too. I'm definitely a fan of the Belgians.

I prefer my beers dark, I can't stand the overhopping of IPAs.

I'm with Dao, for the most part, with a nice glass of Rye or Bourbon occasionally.

My current go-to is Uinta's Hop Notch/Nosh, one of the best IPAs in recent memory for me.
I saw that in the store the other day, I might try it sometime now that I know it's good.

Not sure what kind of beer Heineken exports, but the general opinion among beer affectionados in the Netherlands is that it is a sub par pilsner.
Heineken is considered a higher end beer here compared to Budweiser, Coors Light, and others. There is a GLUTTON of horrible mass-produced beer here. Are these same beers cheap? Yes. Are they good? No.

I haven't seen the Uinta's for sale near me... I think the go-to IPA for fans in my area is the Alchemist's Heady Topper.

Top Bottom