App: Zierham - Neverwinter (0/3)

User name: Zierham

Are you over 18?
Yes

What are some games you plan on playing with us?
Neverwinter

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with? Zierham@Zierham

Do you have friends or family in the Unrepentant community?
No

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
My first year of college, I was living in the dorms, and I may have overindulged on 151 (hey, I was an absolutely novice drinker at that time) and got totally blackout drunk. I "woke up" the next day (lets be clear, early evening) in my bed covered in puke and learned that I had apparently continued to drink well after blacking out, threw up everywhere and had to be put in the shower by someone down the hall I barely knew, came out of the shower buck ass naked much to the chagrin of the dude I barely knew, who was then kind enough to kind of herd me into my room where I finally actually passed out and slept it off. I couldn't look at pretty much anyone who had been hanging out that night for a couple of weeks and ended up having to throw out the sheets and comforter I had been sleeping in because I could not for the life of me wash out the puke smell.

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
I'm a lawyer (this is already at least one strike against me, sorry!) so I don't think there are very many "cool" jobs in the field, but I worked 5 years as a public defender in Nashville. One of the most personally rewarding experiences, and definitely got hundreds of funny stories out of it (for different values of funny, anyway... public defenders tend to be kind of warped).

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
I absolutely loved Planescape: Torment and have gone back to it a few times in the intervening decades. It was my first pnp-style rpg video game, and kind of pushed my transition from video games to tabletop. Also, you've got a wisecracking disembodied skull as a sidekick, what's not to love?
Everquest was my first video game love and I've also gone back to it over the years, though I haven't had the necessary time to do end-game raiding (there or in any mmo) in like 10-15 years. But back in high school and early college I spent an absolutely shameful amount of time playing it.
Beyond that, there's a cadre of Squaresoft SNES rpgs I'd pick up again to replay just because they were so good and formative for me in terms of my childhood and adolescence: Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia, etc. Just all around great games.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
Ah jeeze, this one is hard - I deal with a lot of pompous jackasses in my line of work, so I'll just kind of collapse them all together since they're all basically the same; arrogant [while also being wrong a fair portion of the time], rude, and just clearly so full of both shit and themselves that you want to throttle them. Beyond that, I generally am at a point in my life where, outside of work, I have the luxury of not needing to waste my time if people rub me the wrong way - so I end up not really spending enough time with/on annoying people to develop that level of deepseated loathing. Except my kids... I love 'em to death but jesus christ they are fucking annoying.

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
I am pretty funny. Not like telling jokes or "bits", but more just riffing during conversations with friends. That's part of what I'm looking for in a guild: somewhere that's not about raiding schedules and strategy discussions of fights or what not. I've done that before and I guess it was fun at the time but I've got a more-than-full-time-job where I've got to be serious and think and shit, I don't need a second one in a video game.

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
See my above response - I'm looking for somewhere that puts fun first. I've been in guilds with a Very Serious Raiding Focus. Nope, not for me anymore. I've been in guilds with annoying/immature people who thought it was funny to say offensive shit (for example, including a few of the Forbidden Utterances here) just for laughs, but were tolerated because... well actually I don't know why, but fuck 'em. I'm looking for somewhere that isn't necessarily offended by cursing, and is there to have a good time, but still respects the line between screwing around/joking and just being rank offensive (and then explicitly seeks to avoid and boot, if necessary, people who want to cross that line).

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
So I've played pretty much the gamut of MMOs from like 1998 through 2015, to varying degrees of depth, so I'm by no means new to the genre. However I just picked up Neverwinter while looking to scratch both an MMO and D&D itch. I'm level 19 at the time of putting in this application, and the LFGuild thing on Neverwinter seemed to indicate Unrepentant was open to new players, but by all means let me know if you're looking for higher level folks who will be able to not just joke around in chat/forums but also do content since I imagine it'll be a bit before I'm there.

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
I mean, the technical answer is a sword because you're playing Legend of Zelda. There's probably some sappy answer as far as "his hand, in friendship!" or something like that. But really, if an old man wants to hand me something before I go off on an adventure, how about whatever I'm going on the adventure for? Like it could save us a whole lot of a heart-ache and pain if he could just hand me the mcguffin from the start. I'm also kind of a shameless theorycrafter, so if it's gonna be game-relevant, I probably just want all the relevant stat/damage/life/etc formulas so I can calculus-for-fun. Shit, all of those are terrible, and this is the last question. Quick, go back up and read one of the prior answers that you hopefully liked before you vote!

arkle

Promoter
hello and thanks for your interest in our little gaming community. Your OP looks to have made a decent start - know what would make it better? An avatar!

I have nothing against lawyers, have to work with them myself professionally, but then I'm not in Merica! I thinking more Better Call Saul than LA Law (but Amanda Donohue...)

So the way this works is you get to play with us on probbie terms, we decide if we like you while you decide if we fit what you are looking for. Stay active in the app thread, chat to us in game and see how it goes. I don't play NW very much myself but some one who does will be along to let you know how to get in to the guild channel and all that stuff. I'm sure being whatever level won't matter and we will be super helpful. After a couple of weeks (maybe less but maybe more) you will have collected either 4 yes votes and you are in or 3 no votes and we go our separate ways.

A question for you - what sort of sword?

You sound about my age. Did you ever play shadowrun on the SNES and/or Sega Genesis? If so, which one did you like better?

And, an easier question: What's the last book you've read for fun?

tallon

SWTOR Guild Leader
Promoter
I really like your app and on first impress I think you would fit in great around here. I have my own 151 story so I know how that goes. I would love to hear more about being a public defender, stories, frustrations or just interesting stuff about it that common people don't know. I think it's a pretty interesting profession and have a few clients in that line of work and like them pretty well.

Learnedhand

Promoter
Welcome to the application process,

If you want to join the Neverwinter group while your app is pending, you can join our in game custom chat channel, introduce yourself as a new applicant and request a recruit invite.

An Everquest guy, huh? Have you been following Pantheon's development? If so, what do you think?

Learnedhand

Promoter
Looks like a driveby. NO. Good initial app though. So, I'd rescind if the applicant returns.

Top Bottom