App: Trpleedge - Right now I'm pretty much only playing FFXIV but who know's what glorious vistas I may discover in the future! (4/0)

User name: Trpleedge

Are you over 18?
Yes

What are some games you plan on playing with us?
Right now I'm pretty much only playing FFXIV but who know's what glorious vistas I may discover in the future!

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with? Merkle Gandypeepers

Do you have friends or family in the Unrepentant community?
No

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
Well once I hit my 40's I no longer consider my pre-30's self an adult and that was when most of my stupid activities occurred, most of which involved alcohol or the fairer sex...the dumbest ones involving a combination of both. I'd say the dumbest thing I can recall was in my early 20's taking my roommate's beloved custom F-150 to go meet up with a young lady I had met online...back in the AOL chatroom days when we had to actually work to meet the hotties we've never seen in person...because he had borrowed my truck that evening for a reason I can no longer recall. I couldn't get him on the phone to ask and the testosterone had already corrupted the important parts of my grey matter so off I went convinced that the "bro code" would nullify this minor indiscretion. I ended up spending a lovely evening at her home and woke up the next day to dozens of very "un-bro code" voicemails. Once he realized his truck hadn't been stolen he was upset but understanding and all was good between us but I very likely could have ended up in jail if he had reported it stolen or worse yet lost a friend over a bad decision and a fling. That was totally out of character for me though and he knew it. Thankfully I learn from my mistakes and never repeated anything like that again...also I felt horrible about the whole thing and totally disappointed in myself once the haze of youthful lust had cleared.

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
The coolest job I've ever had is the one I have right now. I'm truly an example of someone doing what they love for a living. I have a BA in graphic design but caught an interest in web design while I was in school and basically taught myself to code...I call it design by numbers. These days I'm more in the day-to-day business and development end and I let the youngins on the team handle the design side of things as I just don't have the passion for keeping up with the trends that I used to. The worst job I had was working for my step dads roofing company back when I was young, I was in great shaoe back then and had a helluva tan but that was some god aweful, back breaking work....which is probably some sort of work ethic karma that I get to sit on my butt in the A/C all day now.

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
1. Final Fantasy Tactics - There is just something special about this game to me that I can't really put my finger on but I could jump right back into that pixelated mess at any time and thoroughly enjoy myself.

2. Minecraft - I blame my son and LEGO for this one and I might possibly have a bit of an addiction to trying to build the perfect underwater base...still chasing that dream currently

3. The Last of Us - I adore narrative driven games and this is the only game to every truly make me feel connected to the characters and felt genuine and satisfying once the journey had ended. I have a love for this game that will be there long after Cordyceps has taken us all.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
I'm not a big holder of grudges or letting individuals get to me so I can't really think of a person that stands out but I do have a type that gets under my skin, that being the entitled elitist personality. I'm all for just letting people enjoy whatever unconventional, weird or goofy thing that puts a smile on their face and I may not understand the appeal but if it gets them up in the morning then I'm all for it.

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
Well, I think weird is cool and I have quie a few weird things about myself so I'll continue under that assumption. I'm multi-handed, I have a dominant hand depending on what I'm doing, for example I write with my left hand but throw with my right. It pretty much breaks down to fine motor skills are left handed activities and gross motor skills with my right...there are some things I can do interchangeably such as using a mouse...that is always a fun party trick. I'm also red-green colorblind, that used my make me design work pretty interesting. I'm also and INFJ for all of you Myers-Briggs folks out there. Oh and I'm a pretty proficient Googler, for some reason I'm able to dig up the answer to things my friends and family can't find....maybe I was just programmed with a good algorithm.

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
Are you kidding, you guys are the most popular anywhere!! I'm just shittin' ya, I just found out about you today while vetting Free Companies recruiting on Siren (FFXIV) and celebrity does nothing for me anyway. I'm currently in an FC that I joined from a random invite and while the folks there are nice the few active people are kinda tight and it's been kinda difficult to find a place at the cool kids table. This isn't in any way a knock against them, sometimes that's just the way it goes and I'm totally good with that but I'm really looking for a group that feels more like family like I had back in my EQ2 and WoW days long, long ago. After reading through some of your material and checking out the accepted and rejected apps I can see that you have a solid comradery and you take your community seriously...the games just seem to be something you do together and not the reason for being together which feels refreshing to me and something that I'd like to be a part of.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
Ok, I'm drawing from my Tinder experience for this one.

1. Two truths and a lie!!

I can't do it, that's so dumb...how about this, referring specifically to FFXIV, what is your stance on helping someone get into raiding who has never really done it before but is interested? I really would like to get into that tier of the game but I hate making mistakes that are detrimental to others in the group so I've avoided it so far but I'd really enjoy a safe place to learn the encounters and the mechanics without thinking my noobness is ruining others playing experience.

Also, I'm curious what platform the majority of the FC plays on because I play on PS4 and I know voice communication can sometimes be an issue. I have a Discord account but I've never actually used it for vouce before and I've seen you mention Mumble but I'm not familiar with it. Do you have any resources you can point to that can educate me on these things?

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
His hand because the old coot just said I shouldn't go alone.

Silentgurl

Promoter
Hi Trpleedge! Welcome to the app process, and process normally goes like this you need 4 votes from yellow names to get in and then 3 votes won't get you in. Since that is settled lol I see you are applying with Final Fantasy online, so you should get a guild invite soon! and What other Final Fantasy are you into, besides the online one? and if you need any help at all let us know and we will be happy to help you, and be sure to stay active here and in game as well, and more members will come by and say Awesome stuff=p heheh and best of luck with your App :)

Hi there yourself! I appreciate the reply, I've been an FF geek since the NES days. The original FF blew my mind back in the late 80's and I was hooked and played every numbered version that's ever been released. I recently finished FF7 Remake and loved the nostalgia but was a little confused until I realized they added quite a few editorial elements to it. Are you a fan and if so which has been your most memorable so far?

Zandar1

Guild Master Meister, Messer Mover Monsieur
Community Officer
Heya Trpleedge. Just gonna call ya Trip if ya don't mind. I'm Zandar, current FC leader. Thanks for taking interest in the U!

Let's see what we got here.

Learned your lesson, FF Tactics (noice), red-green colorblind, already read over some apps. I like it.

Trpleedge said:
What is your stance on helping someone get into raiding who has never really done it before but is interested? I really would like to get into that tier of the game but I hate making mistakes that are detrimental to others in the group so I've avoided it so far but I'd really enjoy a safe place to learn the encounters and the mechanics without thinking my noobness is ruining others playing experience.
None of us are hardcore raiders, but we have given both Omega Savage and Eden Savage a try and gotten through a couple of fights. We are absolutely happy to teach and learn raid mechanics and EX Primal fight mechanics, and you won't be judged for your noobness at all, since we're all noobs at the beginning.

Seriously, we're pretty chill. I can be grumpy at times, but it's only because I'm mad at myself for letting people down when I mess up, but I've recently learned not to be so hard on myself, ya know?

More than happy to accommodate you on that front.

Trpleedge said:
I recently finished FF7 Remake and loved the nostalgia but was a little confused until I realized they added quite a few editorial elements to it. Are you a fan and if so which has been your most memorable so far?
The running joke around applications is "everyone loves FF8 except for Zandar". When Huge Angsty Teens Roamed The Earth™ is my least favorite, with FF6 being at the opposite end because the relationship between Edgar and Sabin is basically the relationship between my brother and I.

I'll flag you down in game and have you pop in the linkshell.

Hey the Zandar, it’s great to meet you! I’m so happy to hear there is a raiding option and you won’t mind that my current primary style of tanking is spinning in circles like Link with a master sword lol I’m actually not that bad but I do have a long way to go to really get my skills up to par and I’d love to be a part of a group seeking to challenge themselves and just see how everything works and who can get their gear to 0 first 😬😂 I hear you on 8, Squall really was taking that broody teen thing a bit too far most of the game. I’ll keep an eye out for the invite and I can’t wait to meet you all!

tallon

SWTOR Guild Leader
Promoter
Welcome to the app process! I like your dumb story, good thing your friend was a forgiving sort. I love the FF series and my favorite is easily FF6. Great story, almost every character was really well developed and one of the best villains in the history of video games. I enjoyed FF8, and liked the mechanics but I also wasn't thrilled about every playable character being a broody teen. FF10 was also a fun mechanic system but it's when they started getting way too damn esoteric with their story telling. I didn't play any single player FF after 12. What was your favorite of the series?

Hello there Tallon! I think my favorite was was 7 just because at the time it came out it was just so revolutionary and that feeling has always stuck with me. I’m in the minority from what I understand but I really liked 12, the gambit system was so cool once you got a solid grasp of it and it seemed like a single player MMO in some ways.

tallon

SWTOR Guild Leader
Promoter
I remember enjoying 12 pretty well. I liked everything 4-12 for the most part with 6 being the best for me. I never got around to 13 for whatever reason.

I thought 13 was pretty fun along with 15 but they got a little Zelda like in the play style which I still enjoy but I missed the traditional JRPG elements of the previous iterations. Just a shot in the dark here but are there any Brandon Sanderson fans here?

tallon

SWTOR Guild Leader
Promoter
Not me, never actually heard of him until now. I am always looking for good reads though, what do you really like from his work?

We use mumble for voice comms primarily, and I think it's one of the best ways to meet us. As far as raiding goes, we cover the spectrum. Some have dived into raiding, and do it fairly regularly, some do it until it gets boring, and others have no interest. Same with crafting, desynth, or any other aspect of the game. Though, my ask has always been if you're going to do difficult content, please know how to play your class correctly. Thankfully, resources like the Balance discord make this easier, and getting better at a class is usually a matter of getting the rotations and concepts down through practice.

2 Truths and a lie

I've gone from 0 to 180 mph in 6 seconds
I play tabletop Warhammer Fantasy
I got my Suzaku mount drop on my first clear

Your turn.

I'm not sure where to start, Tallon lol I think what I enjoy the most about him is that he has built a shared universe for all of his different series MCU style called the Cosmere and his different stories take place on different planets, referred to as shards, but they are all connected via this meta type dark matter-ish realm so characters from some series will "world hop" and show up in other series and it's really very cool and engaging. He's also a master world builder and creates these elaborate yet simple magical systems that are unique to each of the worlds using thinks like different types of metals or color or even sands. I highly recommend his work.

Hello there Ninja, it's a pleasure. I found a mumble app in the app store but it looked a bit sketchy so I wasn't sure if it was the same thing. I'm in an all Mac ecosystem so hopefully nothing is PC only but if so I'll figure out a way to adapt. I am far from great at my class, I mained PLD through to current content but in between expansions and updates I have always worked on crafting or tinkering around in the various other systems so I constantly have to re-learn the proper way to play it. Lately I've been working on leveling my WHM and BLM to see if I enjoy them and have been running squadrons trying to learn group content that way so no one has to suffer in the process lol I'm just beginning to look into dipping my toe in the water of raiding and endgame content which is where my inquiry stemmed from. I'm a researcher at heart and I watch videos of the encounters and create spreadsheets of my abilities so that I can have a reference of what they are and try to work them into proper rotations but trying to actually put that knowledge into practice without the hands on experience is challenging for me to say the least and gives me a bit of anxiety at first.

My two truths and a lie are

My 8 yr old tanks dungeons like a boss
I've never played a table top RPG
I absolutely love cats

Yes!!!! I knew there had to be at least one in here!! I'm dying to get my hands on Rhythm of War in November.

Bit late to the party here on the Forums, but I did get a chance to meet you in discord the other day.

First thing is first, mentioned LEGO above.....have to know AFOL or just childhood memories?

Hey there Antherious, it was great meeting you and the other members of the company I've had the chance to get to know a little so far! I have successfully created a little 8 yr old LEGO fanatic so for now I still get to help him with his builds although he's slowly pushing me out as he gets better at building them himself lol I personally love Technic's myself especially the motorized and R/C builds, I can spend days just getting all of the pieces organized and building the gearboxes...that's definitely my happy place. How about yourself?

tallon

SWTOR Guild Leader
Promoter
I've seen what I need from this app, I'm starting off the voting with a big YES. This app is a total win and I think he would really fit in around here.

Zandar1

Guild Master Meister, Messer Mover Monsieur
Community Officer
We've gotten Trip into the Free Company and he's been super nice in chat and on voice.

Top Bottom