App: thetinyshiloh - Neverwinter! (4/0)

User name: thetinyshiloh

Are you over 18?
Yes

What are some games you plan on playing with us?
Neverwinter!

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with? Nyx / thetinyshiloh#2457

Do you have friends or family in the Unrepentant community?
No

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
Oh god... I have to pick one? Haha. When I was going through my 'first round' of college, I was on a cross-country team and we had an annual tradition called "the naked mile." Yup. We did get to wear shoes and scarves/hats (it was end of October usually).

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
I almost answered certified veterinary tech (CVT) for both, but actually the worst one was an "office assistant" position that ended up being a personal assistant to this extremely narcissistic and horrendous person to work for. Being a CVT is both awesome and miserable - I'm skilled in so many things I never imagined I could do + get to help animals and people, but the pay is abysmal and the quality of life is bad. To not end on a sad note, I'm back in school to get to something better, yay!

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
I honestly had a hard time with this question. There are definitely 3 games I'll always hold in my heart forever, but I won't necessarily go back and replay them. I think I sometimes get a little too fascinated by new shiny things haha. I did replay Legend of Zelda: OoT a bajillion times, and every year I re-play Skyrim, specifically stealing as much cheese as possible and beelining for the thieves guild first thing, haha. The 3 I'll love forever are LoZ:OoT, FFVII, and Portal.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
Hmmm... there are people who are really eager to 'prove' how 'in' they are with the lgbtq community, but then routinely drive over actual feedback of blindspots they may have. It gets really tiring to see someone pat themselves on the back for being such a gOoD aLLy but ignore what we have to say. Also, dehumanizing. I'm not your cool non-binary friend, lol, please don't refer to me in the abstract to bolster bad arguments you're making to someone else. I guess this also ties into a trait I used to have years ago, which is getting super defensive when you're wrong. Now I get irritated when I see it in other people, haha.

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
I'm currently DMing a D&D homebrew for the first time! I also like to bake and I'm getting a degree in medical laboratory science.

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
I like that there's an application and I agree with the reasons for it. I actually clicked through a bunch of the rejected and accepted applications to see if this is the kind of group I'd want to play with before deciding y'all seemed ok ;)

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
Y'all cool with they/them pronouns? Is cussing ok?
EDIT: Forgot to ask - is being able to play only 3-4 hours a week ok?

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
It's a d20 die. He doesn't realize he's handed me this to empower me fully, but it's too late. I tell him to roll for Persuasion, and he looks stunned. He finally manages to stutter out, "n-no wait, I am sending YOU on this quest!" I shake my head no - he only rolled a 4. "I have the power now. I'm the DM. You'll do what I say." The old man pales, realizing he's maybe not so wise, before he slowly fades from the world as I close out of his NPC stat block pdf I have pulled up on my laptop.

Last edited:

Krishach

Promoter
Glad you had a chance to look through the applications. Welcome to the UEY app.

Cussing other than the 3 Words That Shall Not Be Used in the rules is fine. #1 rule really is don't be a dick.

We also play some casual/pick-up games every so often. Lately things like Among Us and Left 4 Dead 2 have made rounds; do you play anything of that nature? What game would you recommend?

Glad you had a chance to look through the applications. Welcome to the UEY app.

Cussing other than the 3 Words That Shall Not Be Used in the rules is fine. #1 rule really is don't be a dick.

We also play some casual/pick-up games every so often. Lately things like Among Us and Left 4 Dead 2 have made rounds; do you play anything of that nature? What game would you recommend?
Hi!!

Oh yeah, I differentiate between slurs and cussing, and I definitely do not use slurs (and I really like that y'all have that rule). And I don't cuss at people, haha, have never been described as being a dick thankfully. I just have a sailor's mouth sometimes.

I love Among Us! I don't play L4D2, I think I have it downloaded, but I haven't felt drawn to it. I don't currently have recommendations along those lines, but I have been wanting to play Phasmophobia, which looks like so much fun. Or did you mean game recommendations in general?

Krishach

Promoter
Either. I haven't played Phasmophobia; in the lines of Left 4 Dead we also play Killing Floor 2, Vermintide 2, Space Hulk: Deathwing, Helldivers, Last Stand, Dead by Daylight, and some others. Always looking for new opportunities.

Oh ok! Well, if you like single-player exploration/puzzle-y stuff, Outer Wilds is fun and poignant and overall a delightful indie game. Has a cool mechanic. I wanted to mention Destiny 2 somewhere in my application, and am so torn about it because a) haven't played in a year but planned on returning to it, b) until I found out they deleted half the content. So I guess don't play D2? Hahaha. Other than Outer Wilds and Neverwinter, I've been mostly playing ACNH and focused on schoolwork.

> Y'all cool with they/them pronouns?

I'm 100% comfortable with the concept. I'd not be a satisfied member to a community if I felt that community didn't approach this topic and others like it from a position of advocacy, openness, and welcome.

Also, I'll admit that, I've not had any experience using they/them pronouns. Therefore, I am cautious that I have a long way to go before they roll off my tongue with fluency. So, while I'd say I'm cool with they/them pronouns, I'm guarded about predicting whether or not you find me to be. BUT, hopefully, you never question that the community is supportive.

> EDIT: Forgot to ask - is being able to play only 3-4 hours a week ok?

Yarp. Or zero.
BUT, the app process is a pretty considerable investment. I think it's fair to say you'll struggle through it if that's the only time you have for the next few days/weeks. AFTER the app process, you have nothing to worry about. A LOT of applicants find that they like the community and want to apply themselves to the application at another time, when they have more time... and they just ask to put the app on hold. And, that's totally cool.

I'm feeling like "thetinyshiloh" is a candidate for contraction, fair? What's the story to the name?

(I like the way you replied to stuff, so I'm copying it lol)

> So, while I'd say I'm cool with they/them pronouns, I'm guarded about predicting whether or not you find me to be. BUT, hopefully, you never question that the community is supportive.

Oh yeah totally! I like to 'screen' to make sure it's the kind of place I can casually say, "hey, it's they/them" when someone slips up, and not get a weird tirade in response. Just a chill, "oh woops," correct self, move on. I'm not a fan of huge apologies or anything for this small stuff - it's easy to mess up with how heavily socialized we all are to default to a specific gender! Hell, the first year I came out, I misgendered myself a few times, hahaha.

> I think it's fair to say you'll struggle through it if that's the only time you have for the next few days/weeks.

I put down 3 to 4 hours as the average time I can predict I'll have once winter term starts back up. HOWEVER, I am on break right now and definitely have more time at the moment. If the app is still undecided when school starts back up, then it's good to know I can always put it on hold. That's helpful!

> I'm feeling like "thetinyshiloh" is a candidate for contraction, fair? What's the story to the name?

Haha, I go by Shiloh, so that's an easy way to shorten it. Or, if in game, y'all can say Nyx, since I seem to be good at responding to that so far. The story is that my name is Shiloh and I'm 4'11"/104 lbs soaking wet, lol. Putting a 'the' in front makes it sound like some sort of title, which I find funny.

Is your avatar a reference? I don't get it but I love it.

Ufficers,
I've seen Shiloh in-game a couple of times and interactions have been positive.... like this thread seems to be.

Shiloh,
My avatar... pic... not a reference, it's just a bit absurd. Makes me chuckle. I'm reminded of the crappy time that a Trex would have making a bed. Or getting the "Kick Me" sign off their back. Or playing Neverwinter... they'd be like THE WORST at fishing.

I want to hear a story about animal ridiculousness. You've got to have a thousand. I don't have a pet, but we have a fairly peaceful neighborhood and our friends across the street have a Lab that they like to think of as the mayor of the town. Give him a top hat, and it would be all he'd need to act the part. What's fascinating is witnessing their personalities shine through, gives the sense that we're not the only intelligent life on the planet.

Dogs make the best mayors, obviously :giggle:

I definitely do have a lot of stories and many more I've probably forgotten. They definitely can be smarter than we give them credit for... and then sometimes they can do absolutely absurd things. Just yesterday, I caught one of our surgery patients slinking down the hall, not in her kennel???, and her eyes HUGE because she was already pre-medicated for surgery (i.e., we gave her an opioid and cats get this dazed look). We're not sure how she figured out how to open the kennel door while high on drugs, but now she has an alert on her chart so that we always do the extra lock mechanism if she has to stay with us again.

One of my favorite stories is one that demonstrates how valuable it can be to listen to the children in a family during a vet visit, not so much about animal ridiculousness. Sometimes parents shush their kids when the kids pipe up about their pets, and sometimes those kids have good info on what's going on, haha. This was years ago when I was much newer to the field, and this family dropped off their big standard poodle with a complaint of a sore throat / mild cough. The 4 year old had said something like "he ate a sandwich." The parents kinda laughed it off and were like, we didn't see this happen, and this was at some BBQ thing they had, whatever. Because the dog had no other symptoms typical of having an ongoing respiratory problem, the doctors suggested we do a mild sedative and see if this guy lets us look down his throat. Kind of a crazy day, so we ended up doing it towards the beginning of the lunch hour where most of the staff was off on their lunch. It was me (a veterinary assistant at the time, not a tech yet), a doctor new to this specific clinic, and a doctor a few months out of school. Dog was sedated but not out completely. He's being extremely good and letting one of the doctors get a light down his throat, when she exclaims, "omg, there's something stuck in his throat!" The other doctor gets her some hemostats (things to grab with basically) and we help hold the dog steady while she takes the item out.

That's when things went from 0 to 60.

The dog immediately starts to flail and panic despite the sedation, and spurting blood is shooting out his mouth - if there's spurting blood, that's an arterial bleed. That's very very very bad. The doctor immediately shoves her hand into his mouth and down his throat to manually pinch the source of the bleeding closed, he's biting her arm while she's doing this, and the other doctor is physically holding him down, both of them shouting at me to grab propofol and knock this dog out via an IV injection. To this day, I am so glad I actually had experience with injecting anything IV, even though that's not typically a thing most veterinary assistants do (that's tech level stuff, typically). Somehow, I did this, he's actually out, they throw some sutures into the throat, and immediately get him transferred to an ER clinic. We're communicating with the owners about all of this, and that's when they tell us that, "oh yeah, the sandwiches at the BBQ had toothpicks in them." OKAY THEN, lol.

Anyways, have a photo of my own goober:
20201216_212507.jpg

tallon

SWTOR Guild Leader
Promoter
I like this app and we have positive in game interaction so I'm going to start the voting with the first YES vote.

Fhaol

Promoter
So welcome to the process...this alone
Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
Oh god... I have to pick one? Haha. When I was going through my 'first round' of college, I was on a cross-country team and we had an annual tradition called "the naked mile." Yup. We did get to wear shoes and scarves/hats (it was end of October usually).

Qualifies you being that we discourage pants :)
So one question I got when I applied years ago is pertinent with this virus thing...do you have a zombie apocalypse survival plan??
Good luck!!!

Yeah, pants suck, haha!

>do you have a zombie apocalypse survival plan??

Oh gosh I always feel like that's such a stressful question, lol. Grab my cat, grab myself, and grab my car, then head to my workplace. Why my workplace? Because a veterinary clinic is arguably one of the best places to be in a weird outbreak like a zombie apocalypse. We have meds, we have anesthetic equipment, and we have restraining devices for extremely aggressive animals. XD

EDIT i forgot to say grab my baseball bat and mace too lol

Krishach

Promoter
Yeah, pants suck, haha!

>do you have a zombie apocalypse survival plan??

Oh gosh I always feel like that's such a stressful question, lol. Grab my cat, grab myself, and grab my car, then head to my workplace. Why my workplace? Because a veterinary clinic is arguably one of the best places to be in a weird outbreak like a zombie apocalypse. We have meds, we have anesthetic equipment, and we have restraining devices for extremely aggressive animals. XD

EDIT i forgot to say grab my baseball bat and mace too lol
That's... A damn good answer, actually. YES for me, though officially not for the zombie answer....

> Does your bat have barbed wire wrapped around it lol??

omg nooo, hahaha! It's my "security" system and is by my bed at night... I could just imagine myself sleepily fumbling for it when some weird noise wakes me up and if it was covered in barbed wire, there goes my hands lol.

arkle

Promoter
wow this one is going quick, good app!

How is the DMing going? I used to write my own scenarios sometimes but my group all wanted to DM so never really had the chance to build a whole quest chain/saga. And if I'm honest the published quests were much better than mine!

wow this one is going quick, good app!

How is the DMing going? I used to write my own scenarios sometimes but my group all wanted to DM so never really had the chance to build a whole quest chain/saga. And if I'm honest the published quests were much better than mine!
haha your group all wanted to DM??? that's rare! it's going well, but slowly, since we alternate playing Vampires as well (which I am a player in, not the DM). I love building my own stuff! I find the published stuff a little too structured, it's nice to see what the players think their characters actually want to go off and do. I'm also very lucky that my group is composed of awesome people, all very cooperative and want to play that way (no angsty loner types that try to fight the party all the time).

Krishach

Promoter
haha your group all wanted to DM??? that's rare! it's going well, but slowly, since we alternate playing Vampires as well (which I am a player in, not the DM). I love building my own stuff! I find the published stuff a little too structured, it's nice to see what the players think their characters actually want to go off and do. I'm also very lucky that my group is composed of awesome people, all very cooperative and want to play that way (no angsty loner types that try to fight the party all the time).
We had a game or two going where anyone could DM a session. Usually one person put a starting world together, but new DMs could either use the existing one as they wish, or transition to another location for a completely new feel. I liked having the new feel and the break.

Top Bottom