App: Snyper99 - Neverwinter, GW2 (0/1)

Would you have a drink with them? (the results have no bearing on whether they get in or not)

• Total voters
Membership Application
Are you over 18? (You must be 18+ to apply.)
Yes

What are some games you plan on playing with us?
Guild Wars 2

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with?
Etheryl99

Do you have friends or family in the Unrepentant community? If so what is their forum name?
No, I don't

So... let's talk! What follows are a bunch of questions that give us a sense of your personality, and give us something to talk about. If your answers are boring or short, we’ll assume you’re boring (and probably short).

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
I enlisted in the Army when I was 17 and was off to basic the day right after graduating High School. I flew to Fort Benning Georgia and was supposed to get on a bus to my unit, but first I went through the grueling pointless hours of in-processing.
I got out of in-processing where they told me to get on bus 55 to my unit. I walked out to the motor pool and searched a long line of buses for bus 55. I had some crazy brain fart most likely caused by being super nervous. I boarded bus 52 for some unknown reason with all my tons of fun new gear.
The bus left the motor pool and as it is passing by the long line of other busses I look out the window and there is bus 55. Crap, I panicked. You know that crazy rush of red hot adrenaline you get when you realize you just F'ed up in king fashion?
The driver of the bus I was on wouldn't let me off. She said I had to wait to get off at the destination and catch a bus back to the motor to then get on 55. So, I jump off 52 at it's destination to immediately be accosted by a big hat drill sergeant screaming in my face, yo momma teach you to blah blah blah, well I'm your momma now." It was so intense I was afraid to tell him I took the wrong bus and this isn't my unit. When I did finally tell him he decided to make me an example in front of a bunch of newbies. After about a half hour of push-ups with my gear on my back and doing mountain climbers the drill sergeant arranged for me to get to my unit on a hummer. I figure at 18 I was an adult so I hope this works.

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
I worked at a tiny Mom and Pop Stove shop. They sold wood burning stoves and chopped wood by the cord. I ran the wood splitting machine. I loved that job because it kept me in great shape, but the best part of it was getting to know Mom and Pop. They were amazing people.
My father was a negative, non supportive dad. Pops treated me like a son and I learned how to respect people from him and a lot of other life lessons. He was a great man. Oh and Moms could sure throw down in the kitchen. I spent all my thanksgivings with them. She could throw together the most awesome peach pie.

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
Fallout 4: Settlement building was not too complicated. I could spend hours just building a settlement.

Bio Shock: I love the setting and the graphics. They had the grappling hook style of transportation I enjoyed a lot.

Dragon Age, Inquisition: I really like the mechanics of the game. You can switch up which member of your party you want to focus on. That made the game excellent for me.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
I had a roommate in the barracks when I was stationed in Hawaii. He quite often wouldn't shower after PT in the morning. He stayed out late almost every night and when he would come back the barracks he would flick the brightest overhead light on instead of using the dim light on his desk right next to the door. He would sneak his girlfriend into our room and get caught. You know how that goes. We both had to pay the consequences for that.
One night in particular he came back to the room inebriated. He had some girl with him who was also drunk and very loud. My roommate passed out and she jumped into my bed and passed out. I kicked her out.
The next morning I woke up to my roommate vomiting all over his bed and even on the still passed out drunk girl. It was common for him to come back really drunk and loud and really late on weeknights.

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
I enjoy writing short stories for contests online. I submitted a story I wrote to Writer's Digest, a magazine affiliated with Reader's Digest. Out of 1,117 submissions I got 11th place and an honorable mention certificate which I need to dig out of all my paperwork and stuff.
Anyway, I love to write and would do it all the time. Right now I am a father of twin girls, 4 years old. They keep me hopping so my writing time is very limited right now. I am totally cool with it because I love my girls.

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
I read your guidelines while in Neverwinter. I was searching for a guild and landed on Unrepentant after reading some other guild's submissions. I mean it when I say I have searched long and hard for a guild that focuses on the person not the characters they play. I really like how your beliefs are that it doesn't matter how great you play in game, it's more about enjoying the people you are playing with and getting to know them.
I'll admit I am not a meta gamer. I love playing Neverwinter, Guild Wars 2 and Rift, but I'm not so focused on the end game. I just want to play casually with a group of peeps who laugh at each other and enjoy the good fellowship.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
How do I find an officer in Neverwinter? I guess I mean how can I access the guild roster if I am not yet in the guild?

Almost done!

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
A horn of Vahalla. I'll blow the horn to summon a bunch of drunk hearty Norsemen I can party with after we crush the monsters in the cave and loot their treasure.

I made an error on my app, sorry. I play Neverwinter primarily. When your app asked for games I would be playing with you I took it as other than Neverwinter because that was the game I found your guild through. I do apologize...so Neverwinter is the game you can find me in. Thanks :)

Gosh, I see another error. I forgot worst Job.
I worked at Safelite Auto Glass in their call center setting up appointments. When a customer calls in I had to remember they probably just found out they had to get their windshield replaced because a rock hit it one day and left a crack that spider webbed one really cold night. So they call us hoping we can get someone out there right away. It was extremely difficult to get a tech out to them that day. More often than not me telling them that resulted in them using a few colorful words and accusing me of being incompetent. I tried really hard to be polite even while getting berated. That meant going home with a lot of stress and anxiety. I hated getting up to go to that job.

My Neverwinter peeps: Wargryn Level 70 Half Orc Hunter...Jaydis Level 25 Human Paladin...Gnash Level 17 Half Elf Rogue.
So sorry for the errors on my app.

I wonder if my app got overlooked. I'm sure the admins have a lot to do so no biggie if it did.

Not at all, sorry for the delay! Gwynn is heading up the NWO group at the moment I think, and I'm holding down the fort in GW2 while we wait for the next expansion. Good to see an app in - if you want an invite for GW2 as well, toss your account name.1234 in here and I'll send one over. That's the great thing about the U, we represent a real rogue's gallery of games and we organize as a community rather than an in-game guild.

I enjoyed your app stories and frankly I'm glad I never ended up going the military band route (as a young musician, they recruited me pretty strongly). Basic training sounds punishing for a lazy computer nerd like I was back then!

I'll update your thread so it's obvious you're more interested in NWO & hopefully that'll help get the folks who play NWO hoppin' in here to pester ya. Also, join our public chat channel for help & convos and invites:

/channel_join Uey

hello and welcome to the app process! I thoroughly enjoyed reading through your app and hope you stick with it -- this is pretty much the only thing we at the U take seriously (gotta make sure we are the right fit for you and you are the right fit for us!)

first up -- the greyed out guy is kinda creepy -- maybe find an avatar that represents you or tells us something about you?

second -- did you watch the series Vikings? it was pretty cool (question inspired by your choice from the Cave of Adventure)

what kind of stuff do you write (genre)? I have some friends who also do the writing thing -- I would love to be able to write stories that would punch people in the feels!

I look forward to getting to know you through the process --

Safyr

Hello,
Thanks for the quick reply. No, I haven't yet seen the Viking series. In fact, this is the first I have heard of it. Is that on Netflix? I hope so because Netflix is the only way I have right now of watching anything.
To Rhal above, I loved hearing the Army band play at parades and stuff. I've always wanted to have a talent in the music department, especially the ability to play guitar. It just hasn't been in the stars for me.
To Satyr, I write fiction. I don't dabble in fantasy because it is difficult to weave something into someone else's works like Tolkein or Brooks. I stick to sort of a modern theme with some supernatural twist to it.
Thank you both so much for the warm welcome!! I look forward to seeing you in game. Oh, btw, I literally just downloaded Star Wars TOR to give it a test run. So far I like it a lot.

Hey Snyper! I like your app so far! Hoping to see you pop into GW2 as well as NWO. New xpac coming out next month! :)

If you're into writing, have you ever done Nanowrimo? I had some friends who were into it, but I don't think I've ever known anyone to complete it.

doyler

NWO Guild Leader
hey snyper when you get in the uey channel in neverwinter just say hi any of our members can get you an invite

Nellasbean: Hi!! I don't know what Nanowrimo is? I do love to try new things when I write. I play NWO way more than GW2 and I look forward to seeing you guys in the game. I have playing all the way to 70 by myself. I was in a guild that proclaimed they were the most helpful and active guild in the game. They also had the expectation that every member needs to help anyone needing it when they ask. I tried to be available and helped a lot of people as best I could. There were some times I needed help and would ask for it and got nothing but crickets :/ I only mention this because my gut told me Unrepentant was the place to be for a player or really person like me.
Doyler: Hey there. I will jump in the channel soon as I get online later today. Gotta work late :( Bleck...Bleck.

Thank you both for your replies!

Hi! Yeah, I have played pen and paper since I was twelve. My older brother found the red basic Dungeons and Dragons boxed set in a mom and pop hardware store. He brought it home and my whole family tried it out that day. The next day we went to school and when we came home my mom had taken a couple poster boards and index cards to make a consolidated DM's screen of all the charts. She even hand wrote all the class descriptions on index cards and glued them to the screen. She ran us through Keep on the Borderlands as though she had created the game. It was such a blast. I played a Halfling named Omias and one of my most memorable pen and paper experiences was yanking up my britches, puffing out my chest and marching across the moat, tiny sword in hand right up to the keep doors. Omias stood there defiantly a moment. With his smallish fist and twisted up grin he....knocked on the door expecting a warm Hello! Wah! Wah!

That was my mother's first and last pen and paper rpg. From then on my brother took over as the DM and over the years has truly honed his GMing skills to grandmaster level. I might sound bias here, but it is true, my older brother is the best DM I have ever played with and I have played with a great many others, some good, some bad and some miserable.

I wish I had the time to tell you all the story of the worst DM I have ever played in a CAMPAIGN (Ugh!!) with. Just to give you a small taste of his madness...His campaign world was called Red Rubber World and the evil antagonist we were pursuing across this bouncy landscape was Purposeful Lavender Behemoth.

Last edited:
Nanowrimo is a writing competition each year where you have a month to write an entire novel. http://nanowrimo.org/
I've never done it and have never known anyone to complete it. Maybe you'll be the first. :)

I don't really play NWO but I know that the U as a whole is a really good collection of people who realize games are games. There will always be a helping hand, and if there isn't, just keep asking and someone will come along! Life gets in the way a lot.

doyler

NWO Guild Leader
I have not see you in game yet. Have you been invited to the guild?

Learnedhand

Promoter
Snyper,

Tell us more about your writing. It's very interesting. What got you into it? Is there any particular genre that you specialize in or prefer to write, and if so, why? Are there any particular writers that you consider influencial?

Hope to catch you in game soon.

Last edited:
Nellasbean: Wow, A novel in a month?!? Not sure I could pull that off. It sounds interesting though. I am going to seriously look into it. Speaking of life getting in the way a lot. I haven't been on NWO this weekend yet. I have twin 4 year old girls who have to come first. Darn rugrats. I'm kidding of course! Thanks a bunch for the heads up on Nanowrimo :)

Doyler: I have not yet been invited to the guild, but that is my fault. I have not made it on in a couple days. Had a lot going on with my daughters, getting them ready for school and what not. I will most likely make it on tonight.

Snyper,

Tell us more about your writing. It's very interesting. What got you into it? Is there any particular genre that you specialize in or prefer to write, and if so, why? Are there any particular writers that you consider influencial?

I started writing mostly because I love to do it. There is something about weaving a story of your own creation that I can't explain. I've started writing and felt the burn in my neck from staring at the monitor and my eyes started blurring. I looked at the clock and it had been 6 hours. What I guess you could call my jumping off point into writing was a story I wrote in sixth grade. I had never written anything up to this point. Teacher gave us a prompt, "The old crumbling well". We had to write a 1000 page short story with that prompt as our only guide. I scored an A+ and since then I never stopped writing.
I prefer writing to a modern setting with a twist of supernatural. I don't know if there is a particular genre for that. I shy away from pure fantasy and sci-fi because I struggle with it. I'm not exactly sure why, but I think it might have something to do with being intimidated by the greats like Tolkein.
Other writers who are influential to me are the amateurs. I absolutely love being part of a critique group and reading other's works. I belong to a Yahoo amateur writer's critique group that has done wonders for me. The reason is they are brutally honest. If they think your work is crap they will say so, but will offer ways to improve. Members are required to critique others as well.

Nellasbean: Wow, A novel in a month?!? Not sure I could pull that off. It sounds interesting though. I am going to seriously look into it.
I've never done it myself, but I read a book by the founder of NaNoWriMo that describes its origins and some strategies for finishing. It's called "No Plot, No Problem," which tells you off the bat that he recommends a rather hurried, slapdash approach to reaching your word count. The official word count for the contest is 50,000, which breaks down to 1,600/day, which isn't terrible if you have the free time and the creative juices. Of course, having kids and playing MMOs can take a big chunk out of your writing time :)

The official word count for the contest is 50,000, which breaks down to 1,600/day, which isn't terrible if you have the free time and the creative juices. Of course, having kids and playing MMOs can take a big chunk out of your writing time :)
50,000 words is intimidating until you put it like that. 1,600 words per day doesn't sound that bad. I could do that if I had the ability to close the door and not be disturbed for a couple hours every day.

Top Bottom