App: Nirgali - Whatever you want to play (within reason). I'm down. (4/0)

Elite is a lot of fun for sure. Some very pretty sights you can see, and they went to some great lengths to seed real world things into the playfield. Like they have the Voyager probes that you can track down. They are roughly where they should be at the given point in time. That's pretty frigging cool. When new discoveries are made in astrophysics; they add it to the game. New planets? Added. Rawk!

Fhaol

Promoter
I love the astronomy thing..I wish I could...btw a YES

Heheh Blurple is blueish purple

fhaol I probably shouldn't ask about blurple. Zombie plan is being self sufficient in the wild. I don't believe I am there yet, but close.

Krishach

ED Leader
Guild Leader
Elite is a lot of fun for sure. Some very pretty sights you can see, and they went to some great lengths to seed real world things into the playfield. Like they have the Voyager probes that you can track down. They are roughly where they should be at the given point in time. That's pretty frigging cool. When new discoveries are made in astrophysics; they add it to the game. New planets? Added. Rawk!
They based the initial galaxy model entirely on real milky-way astronomical data, and then used Procedural Generation and artistic license to fill more of it in. Recent Odyssey update, its initial deployment not withstanding, adds FPS legs and a lot of planet detail for driving and walking exploration, but the orbital views are pretty as well. That reminds me... We were going to do canyon races!

I wasn't an EVE fan myself; if I explore in a game, I like to do it with detailed controls and no invisible walls. A common theme amongst games I keep playing. Sadly my days of real camping, hiking, and horse-back riding days are over due to bone issues, so I need Skyrim, Subnautica, and Elite to scratch that itch. What is one of your favorite common themes to the games you like?

Last edited:
My first corp came from a similar game, I thought it was elite, but I can see it has not been around as long. Their focus was on industry. I enjoy games with expansive well-written universes. I usually get into a game because people I know suggest it so we can play together. That's how I got into cs, wc, eve, lol, et cetera. If I don't continue a game it's because the people who invite me quit playing. I have no interest in soloing games. ED sounds like it would be interesting to try.

Last edited:

Krishach

ED Leader
Guild Leader
My first corp came from a similar game, I thought it was elite, but I can see it has not been around as long. Their focus was on industry. I enjoy games with expansive well-written universes. I usually get into a game because people I know suggest it so we can play together. That's how I got into cs, wc, eve, lol, et cetera. If I don't continue a game it's because the people who invite me quit playing. I have no interest in soloing games. ED sounds like it would be interesting to try.
I liked FFXI. It was too bad it HATED its players so much; I was a blackmage/summoner 75, and got out right before Diabolos came out. Worst MMO I can think of to play without friends.

I love expansive universe games, and would love some additional recommendations on games like that, especially non MMOs. I've become a cranky old man that hates the stereo-typical internet gamer; part of why I like being here so much. Pretty much regardless of the game, if its all UEYs, sign me up.

I started out poking around to see what all co-op is on sale, and to no great surprise, Elite Dangerous is on sale in the US for $6.35, but please read this first so you get an idea if its worth taking on. Each aspect of the game is skill-based with its own set of mechanics that are like mini-games. PvP is optional (I don't), and we have a private "server" where only UEYs and NPCs exist, if you prefer it.

Vermintide 2 is US $7.19 on Fanatical. If you like fantasy (especially Warhammer fantasy) and melee-focused FPS, this is a great one.
Titanfall 2 is $8.99 on Steam if you like parkour, FPS, and robots that feel more FPS and less Mechwarrior simulator. I bought it on steam, and it plays through Origin.

Not finding any of my other golden games on sale at the moment. If you see any of your favorites around, please let me know and I'll pick it up to play with friends if I can. I like co-ops, but I'm also an old-school RTS junkie. I'm always on the lookout for recommendations from people willing to discuss their games, and I do love me a detailed universe. Any single-player detailed-universe games you can recommend?

Last edited:
I'll read " but please read this first so you " when I am rewarded with membership access ><

I just tapped into my emergency funds to drop 4k on unexpected and expected repairs on my car. Have to eat between now and wednesday. :D

I'm haven't played a single player game since 95. Kali game network turned me onto multiplayer and I haven't gone back.

For you FFXIV folk, is it worth getting into that game at this point? How grindy is it?

Zandar1

Guild Master Meister, Messer Mover Monsieur
Community Officer
For you FFXIV folk, is it worth getting into that game at this point? How grindy is it?
They've actually done a great job of streamlining the main story quests and rewarding XP compared to even a year ago. We've had several people check the game out as a result and play.

The latest expansion, Endwalker, is out in November.

Would be glad to have you check out the Free Company, we're on Aether data center, Siren server.

I said i wasn't going to get sucked back into FF but y'all just might talk me into it.

I just finished installing the red floorboard lights, the 110 receptacles, the 12v outlet, and the temperature controlled cabin exhaust fans. DIY custom solutions. I'm exhausted but it's a good feeling to have this stuff done.

Last edited:
I like FF14. It does have some grind as all MMO's do, but that said it's pretty optional if you want to skip it. Be warned that the Main Story Quest is a hulking behemoth. It's got high points, low points, and ZOMG! points. A bunch of the games 'stuff' is unlocked through completing it. Overall it lives up to the FF brand for good storytelling.

For those who don't like heavy story, that can feel grindy. Of course they have provided an off-ramp in the cash shop for that if you want to skip the MSQ. I wouldn't that's for sure.
There's a free trial going on right now if you want to give it a poke. We can also get you into discord with everyone so you can get to know some peeps.

I played FFXI with my 6 axis ps2 controller. Does FFXVI work well without a game controller?

@Krishach What Hotas are people using for ED these days? The X56 looks like it was designed specifically for space flight sims but logitech isn't known lately for quality builds. The warthog looks pretty amazing though.

I'll chime in on the HOTAS question, mostly becase i like this app, but haven't said anything yet. For Elite most of us don't bother with a HOTAS at all. If I remember correctly Krishach runs just mouse and keyboard, as do most of the people playing within the U. I have tried the mouse/keyboard combo, an X56, at traditional flight stick, and always wind up going back to just an Xbox Controller with a few things on the keyboard. My X56 actually got put back in the box after about 50 hours when i decided i just like the Controller better.

That being said, the X56 is a nice stick, but people do report standard logitech durability issues. Biggest complaint I hear about the warthog is the lack of twist yaw controls.

From warthog specifications: "The T.16000M FCS features 4 independent axes, including twist rudder (controlled by rotating the stick),"

Disregard, apparently you can't trust third party retail specs.

Last edited:

Krishach

ED Leader
Guild Leader
I do indeed rule the black with Mouse and Keyboard, and that tends to be the most popular regardless of ship. Some of them turn on a dime, and some like a bus driving on ice. Personally I'm holding out for a 6 DoF single stick. Some of the UEYs I've talked to use a gamepad, actually, which I've also tried and works well (and covers most of the buttons you commonly need).

HOTAS seem to get the greatest reviews, though depending on if it twists those are 3 Dof or 4 Dof.

Last edited:

Krishach

ED Leader
Guild Leader
Something like https://www.sublightdynamics.com/ ...
FWIW, I used to play Descent on keyboard alone. I used the left side letters and the keypad for all 6 axis.
That's precisely the one I'm waiting for at the moment. 2nd kickstarter still pending last I checked. I didn't sign up for the 1st one.

I use WASD and then RF for lateral up/down.

Definitely loved me some Descent back in the day. Do you still play it or any other XP-or-earlier classics?

One can never have the sense of awe and wonder one experiences when seeing something for the first time, like your first starting zone in your first MMO. Descent was among the first PC games I ever played with other people and I like keeping those epic memories intact and unmodified by seeing the game 25 years later. Older stuff like what you expect in arcades, atari, nes, I can revisit any time, but Descent was special. :). It's crazy how quickly game tech has changed since the early days of entering dig dug clone code from a magazine.

Last edited:
I spoke with my old friend from eve. He said he was playing the community maintained/supported fronteer when he switched to eve when it came out. He quit playing due to health issues but would play ED if he was able, which he probably never will be.

Top Bottom