App: Nirgali - Whatever you want to play (within reason). I'm down. (4/0)

User name: Nirgali

Are you over 18?
Yes

What are some games you plan on playing with us?
Whatever you want to play (within reason). I'm down.

What is the character or account name you’re joining that game with? Depends on game. My handle is usually Nirgali or Enki

Do you have friends or family in the Unrepentant community?
Yes

What is their forum name(s)?
Magus and Valil

Tell us the story of one of the dumbest, funniest or most embarrassing things you've done as an adult.
I try really really hard to not do dumb embarrassing things and if I do I try to forget about them so I don't lose my sanity. I do try to be funny though. Mostly my funniest moments are situational and few and far between and wouldn't really appeal to people outside those groups. I'll try to explain one of those rare gems. A professor who was hired to fill the lead position left empty by my friend and mentor who passed away in 2019. During his second semester, the new professor ended up getting fired for something involving a student. It's difficult to get fired from universities, so you can use your imagination. A few weeks later, my other professor friend was talking about acquiring some needed equipment and had the specs provided by the ex-professor. Before finishing the statement "I trust..." with "the design specs" and without missing a beat I interrupted with the statement "I know you're not about to say judgement" he stopped and his eyes got real big and nearly fell backwards out of his chair deck laughing loud enough to scare his dogs into the house. Mostly I tell dad jokes, but I do have my moments and they aren't easily repeated to others, but you asked so there you go.

What's the coolest job you've ever had? What's the worst? (And why?)
I absolutely hated my first position at the university, my third job after high school. I worked for a demon unit business manager who showed no respect to anyone at all, including students, staff, and faculty. While I've had a handful of jobs in my life and I don't think any of them are super cool, I have enjoyed my devops job at ViacomCBS the most because they let me travel and work from anywhere and they are genuinely interested in my hobbies, plus, free paramount+ streaming. :) I'm ready to retire though. I just need a good plan for that :)

Name three video games you'll replay no matter how old they get. (And why?)
Ocarina of Time because Ocarina of Time, Galaga because it's the greatest fixed shooter of all time, counter-strike because it was my first first person shooter and the game upon which I built my first gaming community.

Tell us about the most annoying person you've ever met, and why he/she annoyed you.
My "boss" from years ago was so scatter brained that they would ask me to do things, get on my case for doing them because they changed their mind without telling me or simply forgot what they wanted in the first place. These things culminated into my leaving that job because I just couldn't take it any more. (bad grammar for gender neutrality) Points for making me think of something I had long pushed back into the dark cobwebbed recesses of my mind :)

Tell us something cool about yourself that has nothing to do with gaming. (Free hint: responding to your application thread with photo or video supporting evidence is a plus!)
I enjoy traveling, working on the road as a digital nomad. I camp for free in national forests out of my roof top tent on an offroad RV trailer or I sleep in the subaru for inclement weather. I enjoy astronomy and geology. I twitch stream my travels.

Why choose the Unrepentant Gaming Community over just a regular gaming guild?
I honestly don't care for specific game guilds because they get boring and drama infested. I was invited by some astronomy friends who explained U to me. I'm down for a multi-gaming group of drinking buddies. It reminds me of That Computer Store in Columbia SC without the brick and mortar. Look them up some time. I used to run a multi-gaming community a long time ago. It started with a 24/7 counter strike server and SW:JKII but ultimately got shut down by the university unexpectedly and I had no way to redirect the team of admins and players anywhere else due to funding. That was another life.

BONUS: Ask us some questions! We're sure you've got some.
What is your favorite color? Who said "I may be a sorry case, but I don't write jokes in base 13" and in response to what? What is Operation INROAD? Is EVE Online dead? Is Hedwig dead? Is chivalry dead?

You enter a cave before starting an adventure. A wise old man tells you "It's dangerous to go alone. Take this." What does he hand you and why?
I wouldn't call him wise. He gives you a sword-shaped stick, probably hoping you would cut his lawn with it, not realizing he lost some gems in there. Ultimately you get bored with that and try to slowly tickle terrifying monsters to death before they kill you.

Fhaol

Promoter
Greetings and welcome to the process,,,the unofficial guild color is blurple btw :) Im so jealous of the camping in the Subaru thing :) So given the limited testing of the vaccines..what is your zombie plan?? Good luck!!

tallon

SWTOR Guild Leader
Promoter
I enjoy traveling, working on the road as a digital nomad. I camp for free in national forests out of my roof top tent on an offroad RV trailer or I sleep in the subaru for inclement weather. I enjoy astronomy and geology. I twitch stream my travels.
Do you have any pictures of this setup? What are some places you enjoy camping the most?

Zandar1

Guild Master Meister, Messer Mover Monsieur
Community Officer
Who said "I may be a sorry case, but I don't write jokes in base 13" and in response to what?
Oooh I know this one, Douglas Adams explaining how six times 9 is 42 (it is in base 13).

It's like how Charlie Stross explained using 0xdeadbeef for destroying magical hard drives.

Also you know Magus, my condolences.

And yeah, what's your Twitch stream handle, 'mano?

Hi Nirgali! Magus and I spent 4 days camping next to Nirgali at an astronomy event. Great person to hang out with! Glad you filled out an app. I look forward to dragging you into games! :ROFLMAO: Have you tried Final Fantasy yet?

We had a damn good time hanging out. The weather was omgsweatyballshot with almost no clear skies at night, but the company made up for it.

Nirgali and I spent quite a bit of time thinking of ways to re-engineer his swanky trailer setup. Have a beer with? Absolutely, well if I drank but you get the idea.

He also has a traveling LEGO Spaceflight exhibit. Very cool!

So that out of the way; question time... being of the developer-persuasion yourself: what is the most irritating thing game-devs do?

Kiserai

Community Leader
Might work to upload to an image host then link here.

Okay this is my best attempt to write my missing reply again. Saving it in text doc just in case.

Fhaol I probably shouldn't ask about blurple. Zombie plan is being self sufficient in the wild. I don't believe I am there yet, but close.

Tallon see photo ^^. I've been across the states and it would be hard to play favorites, but when I'm near home base, I go to red river gorge a lot.

Zandar1, yes, but more specifically, it was Douglas Adams explaining, in a later interview regarding the answer to the ultimate question, that he didn't think about the later-fan-derived base 13 aspect at the time of writing his novel. But you win the internets for getting us there. Re: Magus. Thanks. My head is still spinning. My handle is always Nirgali unless it isn't but I stream on the account "idlenexus" when I stream. I haven't since I got back from arizona.

Valil I really really don't want to get dragged back into final fantasy :)

Magus I wouldn't say " omgsweatyballshot " but generally yeah the weather wasn't that pleasant. I will send a photo of the lego setup next time I ... set it up. I don't really work with video game developers and I'm not one myself. However, it's really annoying when a dev reaches out about a failing pipeline script and proceeds to tell you how to troubleshoot it. It usually comes down to nothing at all being wrong with the script and their container is rubbish.

I believe I got everything.

Oh and I made a joke about converting the photo to ascii art in order to submit it. Thanks for the imgur idea Kiserai.

From my twitch info: I am a 25 year information technology veteran. I've been messing around with computers since the early 80s and followed that passion for my career. In addition to pen and paper RPGs, I have been playing computer games since the 80s. I started on the Atari 2600, the TI-99-4A, and IBM and compatible computers with dual 5.25" Floppy Disk Drives (no hard drive) running the operating system and games transcribed from magazines and public domain floppy disks purchased from the local book store. As a child, I used acoustic modems (the kind you put the phone handset on) to dial in to local Bulletin Board Systems (BBS) before there was a modern Internet and world wide web.

The first PC I personally built as an adult with my own money was a 386/486 that had a separate main processor, math coprocessor, memory, and cache (the old style chips you had to use a tool to install/remove). I had to wait for the price to come down considerably for subsequent upgrades. I upgraded it several times from a 386 to 486SX 20Mhz, 486DX 33Mhz, the doubled DX2 66Mhz, then the trippled DX4 100Mhz which was around the time the first pentiums were coming out. I was not living on the bleeding edge. My first 1 Gig drive cost me $300 in Dubai.

I installed and played Mechwarrior 2 w/Netmech as well as Descent and used Kali game network (for which I still have the email receipt) which was needed to route games (which didn't support TCP) over the internet to be able to play with friends on multi-player maps. My first internet connection was CompuServe and I bought a kit called Internet in a box. It came with compuserve, their magazine (I think still have that magazine somewhere), and NCSA Mosaic web browser on a floppy disk. The multi-protocol support of Mosaic, e.g., NNTP and Gopher, popularized the world wide web and the internet but ultimately lost market share to Netscape Navigator.

As for the pen and paper and board games, since the early 80's, I've been playing games like Dungeons & Dragons, and later Marvel Super Heroes, Battletech+Mechwarrior, and StarTrek. I left all of those books and things with a friend when I went off to the military. His mom tossed them out because he had forgotten about them when he started his own life. I'm still disappointed by that. In more recent years I have played or still play D&D, Pathfinder, Firefly, World of Darkness, Shadowrun, and Starfinder. You can see those books on my stream.

These days when I'm not traveling, working, perpetually continuing my education (learning the sciences), or playing tabletop games, I'm playing video games. Right now, due to time constraints of been playing a lot of League of Legends. I do not play competitively as competition seems to bring out the socially impaired.

GEAR:

Video
(I make use of the lumix and gopro in the field)
Panasonic Lumix G7 16 Megapixel 4K Digital Camera
Samyang 12mm f/2.0 NCS CS Lens, Micro 4/3
Elgato Cam Link 4K
GoPro 8 Black

Audio
Blue Blackout Spark SL XLR Condenser Mic
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Headphones
dbx 286s Mic Preamp|Processor
In the Studio: M-Audio BX8 Studio Monitors and ProFX12v3 Mixer (12-channel mixer with usb)
On the Road: Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 2nd Gen

Stream Tools
Open Broadcaster Software (OBS Studio)
Elgato Stream Deck
Streamlabs

Gaming Rig
2 x Asus VG278 27" Monitors
SIIG Dual Monitor Articulating Desk Mount
Corsair Obsidian Series™ 250D Mini ITX PC Case
Thermaltake ToughPower Grand RGB750W PSU
Gigabyte GA-Z270N-WIFI, DDR4 4000+ MHz, LGA1151 Intel Mini-ITX
Intel Core i7 Unlocked 7700K 4.20GHz, 4201 Mhz, 4 Cores
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, 2x8GB | 16GB, 3200MHz Memory
EVGA Geforce GTX 1050Ti, 4GB GDDR5
Western Digital WD BLUE 1TB Solid State Drive
Kioxia 1.92TB Solid State Drive (for video production storage)
Corsair iCUE Commander PRO Smart RGB Lighting and Fan Speed Controller
2x LL120 RGB 120mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED PWM Fan
Corsair Lighting Node PRO

Controllers
Razer 2014 Naga RZ01-0104 Mouse
Razer Basilisk v2
Razer Huntsman Tournament Ed.
Razer Nostromo Keypad

Video and Audio Production Production work is done on the gaming rig and Post-Production work is done on MacBook Pro

Licensed and Non-Free (Libre) Software
CyberLink PowerDirector 365
Overwolf (game highlights)

Open Source and Free (Libre) Software
OBS Studio (Recording and Live Editing)
Ardour (Digital Audio Recording)
Audacity (Audio Editing)
GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program)
VLC (Video Player and Converter)
ShareX (Screenshots)

Photography
Nikon D750
Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8
Tamron Telephoto 150-600mm F/5-6.3
Tamron Tele Converter 1.4x
Tamron 15-30mm F/2.8
Nikkor 50mm F/1.4

Overlanding Rig
Gen 4 Subaru Forester
Anderson Design & Fabrication front 1" lift spacers
Rallitek front 0" sports springs
Rallitek rear 0" overload springs
Toyo Open Country A/T III 28.5"

(Current)
Curt Semi-custom Roof Rack Crossbars Alum - 53-3/8"
Rola Vortex Roof Basket - Steel - 54.5x40.5x5 - 130 Lbs (etrailer)
Maxi Trac Vehicle Awning 8 ft BK MTSA2525 - NAPA Auto Parts
Maxtrax Mk2
Spare Wheel - Toyo Open Country A/T III 28.5"

I am in the process of replacing the cargo basket with kayak rack (maybe gas-strut lift-assisted) for a single boat on one side and a slender cargo box on the other. The spare wheel, traction boards, and a jerry can will be installed on the rear on duo-swing arms that a friend is fabricating for me, followed by a custom grill guard in the front.

Trailer
Crocker Gear Keg Trailer (Phoenix, AZ)
iKamper SkyCamp Mini Roof Top Tent w/Awning (also purchased in Phoenix)

This trailer is a prototype from a legit trailer fab small business who was getting into the offroad rv trailer market. He added two jacks in the rear so I can sleep in the roof top tent without being hooked up to the hitch. He added the spare wheel and carrier on the back. My friend fabricated platform steps behind the wheel wells and reinforced/redesigned the wheel carrier. He will be reinforcing/upgrading the struts inside the trailer to make it easier to lift the lid. My hands are getting wrecked lifting this thing all the time. Getting old sucks. I plan to get an offroad teardrop style trailer at some point. Tent camping is fun, especially in a roof top tent, but it has it's limitations. The heater + insulation blanket really does help in cold weather, but there isn't much you can do for warm weather, and many places that allow overnight RVs won't let you sleep in your car, and the roof top tent is right out.

Gear
stay tuned. it's a lot.

Last edited:

tallon

SWTOR Guild Leader
Promoter
I like this app and he comes from the same generation I do on computers. I started in with computers in the 80's and relate to a lot in this thread. I'm giving this my yes vote based on a good app and positive member feedback.

Krishach

ED Leader
Guild Leader
Nirgali what multiplayer games do you prefer? I tend to play a lot of Co-op games, some FPS some not. Vermintide, Left 4 Dead, Helldivers, 40k Last Stand, World War Z, Titanfall 2, and some others. Do you play any?

My own primary "big" game is Elite Dangerous, for which I have an embarrassing number of hours, because the game is often very chill.

I played eve online for many years. It's similar to elite dangerous. It got boring after a while, waiting for 2 hours for 10 minute thousand ship battles to end. I was a diplomat for a nullsec alliance for several months, and dealing with try hards and the most paranoid people I've ever met. Eve players also hold a lot of grudges. Being a diplo taught me a lot. Anyway, as far as I know, it's pretty dead right now. About 3k avg accounts online recently. Many of which are likely multi boxers mining and building, to what end, I don't know.

I'm down for whatever though as long as it isn't time consuming and require months of grinding to catch up to others. I enjoy quick to moderate length games like FPS (sw:jkii, counter-strike, battlefield, et cetera), MOBA, and RTS. I may casually get back on some old MMOs to check them out if others still play them. I played the hell out of the mechwarrior series. I've played wow, ffxiv, sw:tor, aion, tera, and probably others I've forgotten about. I just barely remembered tera. I invested most heavily in wow. All the others probably made it to the teens.

We've got a lot of resurgance going in FF14 right now. We also had some good times recently in Stompy Mech Action (MW5).

Krishach

ED Leader
Guild Leader
I played eve online for many years. It's similar to elite dangerous. It got boring after a while, waiting for 2 hours for 10 minute thousand ship battles to end. I was a diplomat for a nullsec alliance for several months, and dealing with try hards and the most paranoid people I've ever met. Eve players also hold a lot of grudges. Being a diplo taught me a lot. Anyway, as far as I know, it's pretty dead right now. About 3k avg accounts online recently. Many of which are likely multi boxers mining and building, to what end, I don't know.

I'm down for whatever though as long as it isn't time consuming and require months of grinding to catch up to others. I enjoy quick to moderate length games like FPS (sw:jkii, counter-strike, battlefield, et cetera), MOBA, and RTS. I may casually get back on some old MMOs to check them out if others still play them. I played the hell out of the mechwarrior series. I've played wow, ffxiv, sw:tor, aion, tera, and probably others I've forgotten about. I just barely remembered tera. I invested most heavily in wow. All the others probably made it to the teens.
Perhaps the next time it goes on sale you should check it out; definitely if its an Epic giveaway. Elite is actually not a lot like EVE, and we have quite a few former EVE converts. Its definitely not a game for everyone, but its far closer to the old Freelancer in gameplay. No levels, all skill based.

That also means you won't ever fly a ship bigger than 120 meters in size, but its actual flying. I use Mouse & KB, but some people prefer a gamepad or a flight stick.

Top Bottom