App: Nevoc - FF14 (4/0)

That said, I'm one of the hard-liners on the definition of AI, and I currently work with Machine Learning. I still argue that "AI" does not exist, and the "AI" referred to in, say, The Matrix, is a paradigm shift that doesn't exist and isn't even close to existing. But it probably will some day.
I completely agree. We are no where near what we fantasize about as true AI and it is all just machine learning at this point. It will be a long time before we get Rosie Jetson being sarcastic while she cleans our house.

I don't think there is any stopping technology. We are going to push things as far as we can. Research and experimentation is in our nature. But just because it is there does not mean we should use it.

Kind of like what was said in the article, we are already moving in a direction of too much dependency on machine learning. It is hard not to make the leap from using facial recognition to spot criminals that some police departments are currently testing to the idea of the precrime division in Minority Report. I would rather head that off and stop it now than let it get that far and then try to close the gate after the horse has bolted.

That said, we can do a few practical things, like not giving the AI control over nukes, so we'll at least hopefully not have a Judgement Day.
A little closer to reality than AI controlling nukes would be the military using swarm bots. DARPA was talking about this while I was in college in the early 2000's which means they had been working on it even longer. Is one person controlling a single drone while AI controls the other drones with missiles and guns too far? How much autonomy do we give those AI's to make decisions while on a battle field? Do we make sure they complete the mission even if they loose the single pilot or loose comms with the home base?

Zandar1

Guild Master Meister, Messer Mover Monsieur
Community Officer
I want my lil swarmbot.

Krishach

ED Leader
Guild Leader
I completely agree. We are no where near what we fantasize about as true AI and it is all just machine learning at this point. It will be a long time before we get Rosie Jetson being sarcastic while she cleans our house.

I don't think there is any stopping technology. We are going to push things as far as we can. Research and experimentation is in our nature. But just because it is there does not mean we should use it.

Kind of like what was said in the article, we are already moving in a direction of too much dependency on machine learning. It is hard not to make the leap from using facial recognition to spot criminals that some police departments are currently testing to the idea of the precrime division in Minority Report. I would rather head that off and stop it now than let it get that far and then try to close the gate after the horse has bolted.

A little closer to reality than AI controlling nukes would be the military using swarm bots. DARPA was talking about this while I was in college in the early 2000's which means they had been working on it even longer. Is one person controlling a single drone while AI controls the other drones with missiles and guns too far? How much autonomy do we give those AI's to make decisions while on a battle field? Do we make sure they complete the mission even if they loose the single pilot or loose comms with the home base?
I think you mean "lose."

There isn't an atonomy there, only an algorithm. Objects interacting with a guidance algorithm. We've had Autopilot for decades, after all.

On a different note: is that avatar Afro Samurai? I always wanted to watch it, but always wanted to watch it in Japanese. Can't find that anywhere.

Last edited:
I think you mean "lose."

There isn't an atonomy there, only an algorithm. Objects interacting with a guidance algorithm. We've had Autopilot for decades, after all.

On a different note: is that avatar Afro Samurai? I always wanted to watch it, but always wanted to watch it in Japanese. Can't find that anywhere.
Yea, spelling and I don't always have the greatest relationship.

That is Afro Samurai. I loved it. I don't think you will find it in Japanese. I think the original manga was in Japanese but the anime was written in English as a colab with Samual L. Jackson and RZA.

Have you seen Flying Lotus' attempt to follow in RZA's footsteps with Yasuke? I didn't think it was nearly as good but still a fun watch.

Krishach

ED Leader
Guild Leader
I saw the anime advertised. The funny thing is that it actually is inspired by fact. I always find his story and that of William Adams (inspiration for the book Shōgun) fascinating, and in some ways the factual compilation of William Adams is stranger than James Clavell's fiction. I haven't found a ton on Yasuke's factual origin, and read that his history in written accounts disappears fairly soon. Fertile ground for writers, but I am the kind who want to know more.

Do you play any co-op games? We play some PvE and PvP; Among Us, Dead By Daylight, Titanfall 2, Vermintide 2, Space Hulk: Deathwing, 40k Last Stand, Helldivers, World War Z, Left 4 Dead 2, Rocket League... Any others you could recommend?

Last edited:
Do you play any co-op games? We play some PvE and PvP; Among Us, Dead By Daylight, Titanfall 2, Vermintide 2, Space Hulk: Deathwing, 40k Last Stand, Helldivers, World War Z, Left 4 Dead 2, Rocket League... Any others you could recommend?
I mainly play RPG at the moment. It has moved around over the years. Prior to FF14 I was playing Solasta. Also played Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Divinity: OS2, Pillars of Eternity, and have Baulders Gate waiting for a full release. Outside of that, I usually play board games like Gloomhaven, Ticket to Ride, Catan, etc. Had a D&D campaign going but that ended back in April unfortunately. Been hoping to find another one of those to get into.

Zandar1

Guild Master Meister, Messer Mover Monsieur
Community Officer
Nevoc has been playing happily with us here in the Siren FC for a while now. I like what I see enough to give a YES.

As a side note, I did install MtG:Arena yesterday so I guess we can add that to the list of games I am playing right now.

Top Bottom